Why do all polish surnames end with -sky?

Why do all polish surnames end with -sky?

probably a ancient chad started it and others followed

Because all slavic surnames basically are the answers to the question "Whose?"

they don't, they end with -ski

what?
explain pls

>sky
you're talking about """polish"""americans?

>all

That's selling the diversity of Slavic surnames short. Here where I live, people have all kinds of different Slavic surnames denoting a variety of things.

Surnames are mostly driven from adjectives, stating the answer on the question where person is from or who's son/daughter he/she is.

One of my closest friends is Polish, his surname doesn't end with sky tho.

>-sky
retard

Two people are talking about a guy named Vladek. But there are a dozen of Vladeks in their village. They need to address him by something other than his first name. In a patriarchal society father's name, father's distinct feature or father's occupation was usually used. Maybe Vladek's father was a soldier or maybe he had red hair. So a surname is the answer to the question "whose son?" like Zolnierzsky or Rudensky. Vladek, the son of a soldier or Vladek, the son of the red haired one.

interesting, it's the same in Dutch

they end with -ski you buergerclap. Or -wicz like Sienkiewicz

thats a pretty smart solution

got turnt into witz when some of them came here after getting accepted by their kind German friends

what about sczczzerny and crakowiak?

>borislav slavov

...or Vladek could have simply been named after his profession (Kolar, Kovač), or the profession of his father (Kolarič, Kovačič - meaning little wagoner/smith), after a feature of the plot of land he worked (Potočnik, Vrbnik, Podgoršek), after a personality trait of his that was perhaps lampooned by the villagers (Zajc is he was timid like a rabbit, Kozel if he was as stubborn as goat) after a physical trait (Širok/Dolgan/Trebušnik, or more derogatory named like Smerdu - stinker), after the village or region he had moved from to his present home (Bevc, Gorenc, Selšek), after a clan name shared by most of his village which was also the name of the village, or it could be a patronymic, designating his as the mini-me version of his father (Petrišič, Jurčič, Robič).

At least that's how it is here.

>designating his as the mini-me version of his father (Petrišič, Jurčič, Robič)

So this is like the english:
Robert - Robby, Daniel - Danny?

>sky
-.-

same here

It's the same EVERYWHERE.
Americans are just being dumb as usual.

Not quite. Either the diminutive form has changed, or the patronymic ending has always been different from it. In modern Slovene, little George translates to Jurček, not to Jurčič, Danny to Dani or Danček, not to Danijelčič...

its' don't

t. polack

The proportions of the different surname variants differ from nation to nation. I once read that the proportion of patronymics among Slovenian surnames is about 45%, while in the Serbo-Croatian language area, it's 70%, so that when you go to Serbia, you can get the feeling that the whole nation has only one type of surname (-ić).

I know people whose Polish surnames end in "arz"

because sky is the limit

shut up biggy, ur ded

That's the equivalent of English "-er" or "-or" (as in, walk-er, warri-or)

>mfw our common surname ending is a diminutive suffix -nen