Only FOTR was any good

Repeat after me, Lord of the Rings is overrated.

Other urls found in this thread:

mythsoc.org/tolkien-journal.htm
tolkiensociety.org/society/publications/mallorn/
wvupressonline.com/journals/tolkien_studies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The books are abysmal and can in no way shape or form be considered great writing.

Dune blows it out of the water in this regard

Repeat after me, OP is a faggot.

Lord of the rings is pretty great

Gotcha
OP cannot live without hourly injections of horse semen

Here is your (you)

Aragorn says that they would look like children in normal people's eyes, that's why they look like children in that shot.

dune is just lawrence of arabia in "space"

Nah, it's actual midgets, every main hobbit had his personal midget that would also mimic his behavior by observing you. Can you imagine walking around with your own mini-me on set? Pretty neat.

>lotr isn't great
such a stale meme, fuck off already retards

Dune is fucking shit.

Ya I said it. Fight me faggot.

>MUH SPICE
>MUH DESERT
>MUH SHITTY PLOT DEVICE TO MAKE SWORDS RELEVANT IN A SCIFI

>look mom i'm contrarian xDDD

LOTR sucks and everyone who likes this hacky trash should feel bad.

the only reason you liked it is because you were a kid when they came out.

If you like this campy franchise you have lost all control of your life.

Return of King & mines of moria literally only good parts

Obvious bate 3/10 for making me reply. Tolkien is a genius, we are not worthy of the book or the films.

you're wrong though
so are you
not even a little bit true
also, your opinion is false lol

Reddit's here. Time to leave.

Lord of the Rings is great and there is a reason people are still academically studying it. OP is a faggot.

>academically studying it.

Follow my train of thought. A majority of you are triggered by OPs statement.

Sup Forums is reddit. This board is pleb tier. Op is actually a patrician (the few) and all you nerds who suck of lotr are filthy plebs. The books are fine. The films are shit unless you are 13. You are blind to Jackson being such shit with no vision besides slowmo.

>repeat after me, practical effects are overrated
no

mythsoc.org/tolkien-journal.htm
tolkiensociety.org/society/publications/mallorn/
wvupressonline.com/journals/tolkien_studies

How does it feel being an huge faggot?

I saw this movie when I was 8 years old and I still loved it then. OP, you're a faggot. In other news, water is wet.

>Jackson being such shit with no vision besides slowmo.
>t.someone born in 2000
You are an idiot. There are many small very gory moment in there that alone distinguish the movies from any other mainstream flick. But you wouldn't since you did not grow up watching Bad Taste on VHS. Also I am not sucking anyone's dick. OP said "Only FOTR was any good" which is just plain wrong.

>children's books
>academic
>study

people always brag about WW1 being terrible and all that but then this guy had the time to write those giants books during it

I mean what kind of war was, did they even fight?

We ain't had nothing but LOTR threads for three stinkin days

>looks like meat's back on the menu boys!
how the fuck would orcs know what a menu is? jackson is a fucking hack

desu the movies are good as mindless popcorn blockbusters, but definitely not if you wanna look at things objectively

he didnt write them during the war, he just jotted down ideas while being unable to sleep due to constant artillery fire.
he didnt create hobbits until he was a professor

>Sup Forums lools at everything objectively apparently and calls everything shit
>Sup Forums can't objectively say anything bad about muh lotr though just turn your brain off
Makes you ponder

>peer reviewed journals
>not academic
Wanna know how I know you suck at school?

Why do people keep using this image to prove a point? It's literally a 2 second shot.

Nobody is doing that you dumbfuck
Go back to /lit/ this is a film board, nobody studies the LOTR films bc you would find them to be poorly edited, paced, melodramatic, action cg fests as you go along. Literally a clinic in how to not make a boring tonaly absent piece of shit.

Dune is the shittiest book I've ever had the misfortune to read, kill yourself faggot.

>Nobody is doing that you dumbfuck
>OP and his thread

pick one and only one

That's actually not the best way to hang yourself; the drop is too short to break the neck, and you'll strangle yourself.

>dune is just lawrence of arabia in "spice"

Standard bait pic to start a thread

if you're lucky, worst case scenario neck snaps and leaves you paralyzed until you starve to death

the entire thread is bait

lotr isn't overrated, it redefined fantasy movies.

>practical
>Peter CG Jackson
They have aged badly actually very badly because of how much CG he used

yea i don't get the love for ROTK

Fellowship is great
Two Towers is shit
Revenge of the King is meh

been a massive uptake in contrarians lately

just a few months ago any LOTR thread would be a calm and agreeing discussion of how great it was

LOTR is great, every film is easily a 10/10

also how the fuck has a rohan nobleman never heard of or seen a single hobbit

>it redefined fantasy movies.

Dune's writing is no better than LOTR. If you want good writing, there's a thing you might have heard of called LITERATURE. Fiction doesn't qualify, underaged plebbies.

Dude shut the fuck up this board has been reddit for years and lotr is overrated by all you redditors.

This.

You are all contrarian faggots yet whenever lotr is brought up you actually seize up. They aren't great. They are ok on average.

can smell you from here you utter rodent

Meant for This Fellowship is great. The other two aren't.

>hates LOTR
>calls other people contrarian

uh huh

You're an idiot

>falls for obvious bait in a bait thread
>calls other idiots

This is shit bait. You are the reddit that's been here for years you faggot

>Dune's writing is no better than LOTR.

It is in fact much worse. Seriously, you get the feeling that a 12 year old with autism wrote Dune, it's so laughable. I've read better fanfiction.

>doesn't fall for regular bait
>falls for shit bait

Looks like shitposting's back on the menu, boys!

>Nobody is doing that you dumbfuck

Fucking dumb cunt fuck this is used nearly every time a lotr thread comes up YOU dumb bitch

never in all those years on Sup Forums have i seen an actual argument why lotr is overrated or even bad
when will this shit stop?

what a terrible thread
LOTR is great
if you're enough of a loser to be on Sup Forums, and you don't enjoy lord of the rings, i feel bad for you
your life must be miserable

What is Lord of the Rings anyway? I've heard about it all my life but never actually heard what it was.

>failed at the box office and literally no one likes it anymore
>"overrated"

Because it's a disgraceful stultification of Tolkien's legacy. It shits on everything and delivers nothing but a fast-food tier episode of mindless action designed to appeal to the edgy basement dwelling, plastic lightsaber wielding fat fuck.

This is a great example and shows what kind of subjects these insulting movies attract.

These movies were never particularly held in high regard here. It's just the recent swath of redditors skewing the picture.

>delivers nothing but a fast-food tier episode of mindless action designed to appeal to the edgy basement dwelling, plastic lightsaber wielding fat fuck.

The fuck are you talking about? LotR is boring as hell. I wish it was a bunch of mindless fighting like you say. I would have enjoyed that way more than Walking: The Movie.

well you just proved my point
thanks i guess

Hang yourselves

FotR was best overall. It had the strongest acting, the tightest script, the best action scenes, the least superfluous material....

The two towers is not as good as FotR, but is still a strong movie and has some excellent moments.

RotK is the worst. Too much hammy acting. Too many over the top action moments. Too much melodrama. Too long. Too bloated.

It's pretty easy to be overrated when you're one of the dullest franchises in history. Seriously each episode following frodo and his pals from fellowship as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Tolkein vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his books. The Lord of the Ring series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Tolkein's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Lord of the Rings by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading The Hobbit at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Lord of the Rings" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>calling the lord of the rings abysmal isn't contrarian

What is the purpose of this context?

ORCED