How mutually intelligible are Ukrainian and Russian

Just met a Russian language teacher, who said Ukrainian is just a Russian dialect, so if you know Russian, you don't really need to study Ukrainian. According to him all Russians and Ukrainians understand each other regardless of the language or dialect.

Opinions? I've always thought this was just a a belief deeply ingrained in Russian consciousness, pushed by Russian nationalists and reinforced by the Russian education system.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zP-PV9ryXM4
youtube.com/watch?v=jIi-Ug7qo74
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can understand about 75% of it. If you know polish it's %100

that muat be a pretty underqualified teacher

100% intelligible

t. knower

Apparently he just graduated. Gave me a slavophile vibe though.

So basically this "Ukraine is a Russian dialect" is just as I said, an idea pushed by Russian nationalists and education system to deny statehood and separate identity from Ukrainians?

We can understand Ukrainians pretty much.
Not everything though.

>Ukrainian is a Russian dialect
wow what a fucking idiot
Ukrainian is closer to Polish than Russian
I bet she refers to Ukraine as "The Ukraine"

Barely. I can understand some words here and there, but even then I'm not sure if they mean what I think they mean. Russian is very different from other Slavic languages, it's not mutually intelligible with any of them.

It's not a dialect of Russian and everyone saying it is should just kill themselves, but you can easily understand 80%+ of it.

>Russian is very different from other Slavic languages
No, it's not.

>so if you know Russian, you don't really need to study Ukrainian.
Not really. My Russian teacher was from Eastern Ukraine but she was a native Russian speaker. She said she's comfortable with Ukrainian to the point where she can read a newspaper. But talk with people in Ukrainian - tough cookie

>If you know polish it's %100
Fuck no.

Ukrainian is basically a Polish dialect.

opinion as baseless as the one posted in the OP

Is surzhyk a dialect of Russian or a Ukrainian creole?

Russo-Ukrainian creole, basically

40-50% intelligible
no more

En: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Ru: Vse ľudi roždajutsa svobodnymi i ravnymi v svojom dostoinstve i pravach. Oni nadeleny razumom i sovesťju i dolžny postupať v otnošenii drug druga v duche bratstva.

Ukr: Vsi ľudy narodžujuťs'a viľnymy i rivnymy u svojij hidnosti ta pravach. Vony nadileni rozumom i sumlinňam i povynni dijaty u vidnošenni odyn do odnoho v dusi braterstva.

bullshit. I can understand written Bulgarian better than written/spoken Ukrainian/Belarus.
Here is the map of lexical distances between different languages to prove it. You can see that between Russian and Ukrainian the difference is similar to the difference between German and English.

>Russian has barely anything in common with Slavic languages
Why is it even considered Slavic? We have nothing to do with them.

>if this is made into graph in must be true

>Why is it even considered Slavic?
Tomu že on jest slovjanskim językom? Skazaj mę že ne možeš sråzuměti čto ja napisal.

Well, we've got really huge influence from Latin and Germanic languages. We've borrowed thousands of words because we were the most successful Slavic "tribe" and when you are in the forefront of the humanity you have to transform your language fast. Same thing with Brits, even worse. Their language is Germanic, but they have several thousands of words they adapted from Latin languages. I study French and can say that of 5000 top used French words half was added into English. And one French in one thread once said that learning English was simple for him cause he already knew something near 10k words, but could be bullshit, of course.

The fuck is this autism

Maybe if you know both Russian and Polish? But no, there's probably still a few words and phrases that would throw you off.

True, can't understand a shit in ukranian even through it's considered the closest language to russian.

>mę

>I can understand written Bulgarian better than written/spoken Ukrainian/Belarus.
This. Bulgarian is the only slavic language in which I can understand bits and pieces. Is it because of Church Slavonic?

He made that assumption because of few Ukrainian phrases that are Polish in origin as opposed to Russian.

"Thank you" in Ukrainian sounds like Polish dziękuję rather than Russian spasibo. Same is true for Belarussian language.

>And one French in one thread once said that learning English was simple for him cause he already knew something near 10k words, but could be bullshit, of course.

Already knowing English pretty well, I felt it was easier for me to study French than German, since English and French share so many similar, sometimes even identical words.

If I've understood right, syntax, grammar, cases etc. seem to be pretty similar in Polish, Russian and Ukrainian. Otherwise Ukrainian vocabulary is perhaps more similar to Polish than Russian one?

Interesting question anyway, why do you ppl think some Russians claim that Ukrainian and Russian language are basically the same or Ukrainian is just a dialect? Is it because they don't know any better, because they're taught like this at school, because of panslavistic tendecies or what?

What a dumb svinougric subhuman like yourself would know about muh Ukrainian identity?
70% of their country speaks Russian on a daily basis
Genetically they're a bunch of Turkic tribes, Russians and pollaks + jews.
Ukrainian language to a Russian person sounds like a speech of uneducated village dweller who for some reason can't speak a normal Russian language. That being said, Russians understand 80% written and about 65-70% spoken Ukrainian.

lies. i barely understand ukrainian speech

xdd
kcbearmeme.jpg

Please, pan Hohol, tell me what language do you use on a daily basis? It's 99% Russian if you don't live close to the polish border.

>I can understand written Bulgarian better than written/spoken Ukrainian/Belarus
t. Ooga-boogar

Toлcтo. Бoлгapcкий звyчит кaк cмecь тypeцкoгo, гpeчecкoгo и пoльcкoгo. Из-зa cвoeoбpaзнoй пpaктичecки ничeгo нeпoнятнo.

>What a dumb svinougric subhuman like yourself would know about muh Ukrainian identity?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking questions here? I'm just wondering where does all this hostility towards Ukrainian language stems from but I kind of suspect already that it is tied into a highly nationalistic and imperialistic world view where independent Ukraine is an impossible option.

I spoke with another Russian guy, had a slavophile beard and look too, in summer 2013 before Maidan, Crimea and the like wasn't even an issue and he claimed something akin to Ukraine being slavic and Russian. So if you follow this sort of reasoning all the way through, if Ukrainians speak Russian, they act Russian, eat Russian, "share" Russian history and are Russian and nothing "Ukrainian" exists, why should there be a state called Ukraine? Are these sort of views normal and usual in Russia or are they considered extreme?

For the record, I'm not talking about what language people are using in Ukraine, I'm talking about whether you can consider Ukrainian language same as Russian or not.

Of course i use russian.
Moscow russificate these regions for decades. It's like MTS, everything is better than MTS, but people still keep using it.

bulgarians are just turks in denial.
they look like turks, speak like turks and pretty much have a turkish mentality.

>I don't know, that's why I'm asking questions here?
No. You started writing shit like this:
>So basically this "Ukraine is a Russian dialect" is just as I said, an idea pushed by Russian nationalists and education system to deny statehood and separate identity from Ukrainians?

>Ukraine is an impossible option.
Do you even know the history of that particular region?
>slavophile beard and look too,
I don't know what you're talking about, an average "Russian" in Finland is a svinougric minority that migrated there due to his ancestry.
>Are these sort of views normal and usual in Russia or are they considered extreme?

Russians didn't think about Ukraine much before 2014. Ukraine is viewed like a retarded little brother. Nobody wants to nuke Ukraine or annex it, we just treat it like a meme nation.

>whether you can consider Ukrainian language same as Russian or not.

I hope that answers your question. It's not the same, but it sure is a meme version of Russian.

>I'm talking about whether you can consider Ukrainian language same as Russian or not.
You can but that's not necessary. As far as a dialectal continuum exists it's more a matter of politics rather than anything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=zP-PV9ryXM4
youtube.com/watch?v=jIi-Ug7qo74

>So basically this "Ukraine is a Russian dialect" is just as I said, an idea pushed by Russian nationalists and education system to deny statehood and separate identity from Ukrainians?

...is a question. You should argument better though, if you want to convince someone.

>Do you even know the history of that particular region?

I know about the history of Kievan Rus' and some 20th century history. Funnily enough I'm writing my thesis about the Norman controversy which was, and apparently still is, an attempt to re-write history in Russian terms. Regarding the history of Kievan times there seems to be some discord between Russians and Ukrainians, especially when they. For example you can use history for such narratives that can reinforce or deny the statehood of a country.

>an average "Russian" in Finland is a svinougric minority that migrated there due to his ancestry.

This encounter happened in Sergiyev Posad though.