What made it so good?

What made it so good?

Your downs syndrome?

Nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses. It's actually a pretty mediocre show.

>Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, could you repeat the question?

Walter White

>Great bond between cast members
>Good character development in a comedic way
>Change of settings meant it didn't rely on same jokes too many times
>Nice comfy atmosphere
>Somewhat relatable if you're poor
>Somewhat relatable if you're the awkward faggot at school

It's a rare example of a modern show that is actual comedy.

No lefty horse shit, no anti white propaganda, just trying to be funny.

Not OP, but I never saw this show when I was young. Watched it for the first time on Netflix and thought it was amazing. I enjoyed the dysfunctional, cynical nature of the show, not unlike "Married with Children". It didn't shy away from the unfairness of life. Whether it was Craig never getting the girl, the boys being geniuses, but damaged and not in a social position to do much with it, or Hal getting fucked by the man constantly, it portrayed these things for comedy to make them more palatable. The only thing I didn't like as the show progressed was how the characters turned more into caricatures of themselves. Once a show has been on that long though, I think it's hard not to carry character quirks to their logical extreme.

I was of the generation that should've been prime audience for 'Malcolm' -- and I couldn't get into it. I wasn't born into a big middle-class family in a suburban area. Most of the tropes/cliches/gags were lost on me, or just weren't funny to me. I have friends though that view this as the best sitcom to ever grace television -- and they happen to be suburban yuppies.

>The only thing I didn't like as the show progressed was how the characters turned more into caricatures of themselves

I watched the finale after a long time and damn it really felt like a whacky episode of The Simpsons. Sadly when you don't want to do drama or serious shit in a sitcom (which helped Malcolm) you end up making your characters into cartoons. Still a great show.

>tfw shitposting in 4k

>middle class
Five people (later six) in a two bedroom one story house where both parents and the eldest boys all work (all but Hal at minimum wage) with constant bill juggling is not middle class.

Malcoms running gag that everything smells like burned toast

Maybe it's my own personal meaning of the term. But when I think of middle class, I think of it as synonymous with 'nuclear family living in a (mostly) stable house/home environment'.

The fact that you're white and male and probably in your late teens or 20s.
Watching it again, it was pretty good, but not amazing.
Not very witty, but then again, the intended audience wasn't either.

Two different writers for every episode. They reused a few writers sometimes but it was almost always different combinations, not enough time for certain guys or certain pairs to get comfortable and steer the show their way
also, the biggest thing is it's rewatchable because there isn't a laugh track. laugh tracks are for shows with stupid jokes. you have to write AROUND the jokes, giving everybody time to get their gay ass laughter out so you can continue the scene, it fucking takes you out of the show

I wonder how many Sup Forumsedditors still believe The Middle is anything like MitM, or even a ripoff.

grew up with 3 other brothers into a relatively poor household

can confirm relatable as fuck

got both middle in the name, apart from that malcom is 1000x better

>having a house
>eat food every night
>have clothes
>not middle class
Wow, you're a faggot.

>Sup Forums hates MitM now

What happened?

The irl molestation behind the scenes by the jews

This

No

I grew up middle class. Two professional university educated parents, one who earned double the average wage and one who earned about 1.5x average wage. Two kids, four bedrooms. All my friends and most people in my town were working class. As a 30 year old man I'm working class myself, despite a decent income. This is all based on a UK perspective

Right, and I grew up alone with a single mom, in the equivalent of a 'council home' (we call it 'section 8' here) and on a 9k USD or 7k pound annual allowance. In a ghetto minority area of a city. This is as poor as it gets the US, we lived cheque to cheque and hand to mouth, with no savings ever.

As 'working poor' as the fictional Malcolm family might've been, I still find it unrelatable to me. At least they had a house, a mostly white neighborhood, safe surroundings, and two parents in the home.

I still think they share more in common with someone of your economic class than me.

Maybe so. They were not living in poverty and it seems you were, if not on the brink of. As you say, you were working poor, they were not. But they were definitely not middle class.

Hal.

Lois was hot

>family on the brink of poverty get a $10,000 cheque
>decide to blow it on a dollhouse and a yearbook photo
This show taught me a lot about poor people

It aired during your formative years

In more unequal countries, middle class are sectioned into upper and lower middle class. We tend to have an AAA Class (People rich enough for its descendants never having to work), Upper Class (Rich, CEOs, high execs, etc), Upper Middle Class (Decently waged workers), Middle Class (mid-level jobs), Lower Middle Class (little to no money to spend on superfluous products), Lower Class (Poorly waged people who get the worst jobs available) and Miserable (unenployed, unenployable)

It's an horrendous way to study economical demographics, though, since it focus on income not in the locus occupied by the working members of a family into its societal division of work.

>Miserable (unenployed
Yes, it's truly horrible

*unemployed, unemployable

Sorry.

Also, being unemployed on decent countries or if you have decently employed parents usually don't make you miserable, just lower class, at worse, because there's usually a safety net around you.

If you are the son of humble parents here in Brazil and you can't get a job, unless you have made some friends, you can't afford to make any mistake regarding your professional life or you'll be on your way to become a parasite for ever. If you are the offspring of poor parents, you'll probably either be employed on terrible conditions or you'll be homeless.

I honestly felt like it was written like an adult cartoon, being over the top, but not like other adult cartoons, and then acted out using real people.

They actually looked like brothers