So what does Sup Forums think of Christopher Tolkien's view on the Lord of the Rings movies?

So what does Sup Forums think of Christopher Tolkien's view on the Lord of the Rings movies?

Dried up fucking raisin who can't appreciate Peter's inspired works from a book he read as a child

that is rough.
im no doctor but christophers inferiority complex of his fathers vs his own accomplishments got to have something to do with this. like he feels he have let his own father down and is too much of a pussy to own up to it and projects it to his son.

Sad. A bitter old man who views his guardianship of Middle Earth as his duty to his father but can't see that the Jackson films were genuinely incredible, very faithful adaptions of what was long considered unfilmable and probably got more people to read his father's books than anything else ever has.

He's right though. As good as the movies are, they could have been so much more.

well he's not JRR Tolkein so his view is just that, a view. He may have more initimate idea about what the books are about and believe his dad's legacy is marred, but I've always seen the films as an interpretation of the book that was uniquely Jackson's...therefore it's hard to compare..

They probably didn't have enough musical numbers in them for him.

The books are full of people bursting into badly written song at the drop of a hat.

He's right.

And people who say he's accomplished nothing in his father's shadow are failing to account for his tenure at Oxford...

Remember when Legolas used a shield as a skateboard? Kino.

Could be much worse Tbh... Look at ASOIAF's adaptation.

I'd take some pointless action that lasts seconds over a minor character like Tom Bombadil who sings 12 fucking songs any day.

>look at my smart university stuff therefore i'm an authority on theatre

Bitter old man mad he got jewed out of the fortune he could have earned on LotR movies.

Being so bitter you disown your own fucking family just because they said "Hey, maybe it's, you know, not that bad?"

Dude's just batshit.

Well everything he says is true

But I think JRR Tolkien would not have wanted this
I think he would have rather had his work diminished if it meant his family would be happier

>he thinks the songs weren't there for a reason
Pleb.jpg

He sounds like a fucking faggot.

Maybe if he didn't cry wolf about LOTR, everyone involved in The Hobbit would have given it more care.

Its delusion to claim that Jackson's LOTR movies are sullying the books. A more loving rendition would not have been made by anyone else. Chris is just butthurt for not getting money form it.

God I forgot how shit those films are

basically similar reasons to why Waterson said FUCK YOUUU to selling C&H

maybe you could say that when it was just the originally trilogy

but now that The Hobbit trilogy happened...

He's a big baby. The books are incapable of being adapted to film properly, but jackson got as close as you can get.

He's right about The Hobbit, but a whiny crybaby about LOTR.

T. Assblated Manchildren

I like the movies, but he's completely right.
The movies are really dumb and action-focused, and they do ruin the atmosphere of the book, as well as the deeper themes - but at the same time I'm certain it's the best Hollywood movie we could ever hope for. It's far better than what I would have expected.
He must have known this would happen when he sold the rights to Hollywood giants.

Chris said all this dumb shit before the Hobbit flicks were made.

It's probably just one (maybe two) samefags.

This.

Disowning his own son over it is batshit insane, though.

well he did a good job predicting the future

maybe Peter Jackson should've listened

Yes, but they could also have been so much worse
Just look at the hobbit movies, the LOTR trilogy looks like a masterpiece compared to it

Chris is right about the movies but a fool for disowning his family.

In this life the only people that have a chance of truly caring for you are your family, and if you don't have that then you have nothing

I don't know, if my son was being a cunt and selling my fathers book to retards, I'd make sure he didn't inherit the power to do any more damage too, I think.

Although, I'm pretty sure the only real solution is to release it all into the creative commons.
That way small artists can do braver things with it, perhaps even make something closer to the original vision, while major Hollywood commercial fucks would leave it alone for a bit, because they wouldn't have any exclusive rights to sell toys and shit.

Chris released a few books made from his dad's notes. Children of Hurin was particularly great.

I like the guy.

Hes right about the "evisceration of the books", but how in the fuck do you disown your own son over a disagreement over the adaptation...

Hes a shitty father with little vision. Not to mention that he is probably being poisoned by his 2nd wife, whos eying that inheritance.

Shitty person.

Hope he dies soon.

>mfw Frodo never disowned Bilbo

That article has a lot of embellishments. The reason Christopher disowned his son was that he went publicly against the Tolkien Estate's official statements.

Also they have reconciled

so the elderly assblasted manchild gets of because?

Based Chris.

I think not speaking to his grand kids is shit though if it is true.

No one's going to read this but I will write it anyways...

I like Peter Jackson's take on Lord of the Rings, I think he should be able to complete the universe.
I like Ralph Bakshi's LotR and think it should be completed.

I think that all fantasy series are great as long as they satisfy a few criteria;
1. They must be creative, and at times, unique.
2. They must be thrilling, having real threat for each character.
3. They must be consistent, with no gaping flaws. If they set something up, don't contradict it
4. They must be complete. This means not necessarily done yet, but must have had an ending in mind when started. So not made to be repetitive and generate money by just making more.

I think that renditions of fantasy series is what makes them great. Sure, the Game of Thrones tv series and the Harry Potter movies have problems, but they have also added to the worldbuild ascpect of the whole universe. Case and point, if you read Harry Potter, never does it mention Flitwick is a choir teachcer; BUt, one director said "ha, midget choir teacher" and now he is.
Now if you read the books, when you see Flitwick coming away from this or that, I imagine a group of choir students shortly after.

Now I am sorry that I had to use Harry Potter, I know not all of you are fans, but it is the same with all people's ideas, as long as you make the distinction "Peter Jackson's version of JRR Tolkien's", but I am sure for many people it has added to the worldbuilding.

Yea the Hobbit is ultimte trash and Christopher's criticism is valid for those movies. But he has had the same opinion on the LotR movies too for ages.

Harry Potter is inconsistent as fuck, not just in rules but in tone. The first few books are no different than something like Charlotte's Web and by book 7 they are pretty much made for adults minus any mention of sex

Hes right.

Christopher is the only thing keeping a Silmarillion adaption being made.

I hope hes immortal.

How is anyone assblasted you fucktard? They made the movies.

>Everyone who dislikes the Hobbit is so autistic they'll disown their own children if they ever so slightly disagree with their opinion on it.
Not surprising, honestly.

>want silmarillion adaption, or if anything just some sort of story telling documentary thingie
>deep down know that someone, somewhere, will fuck it all up and force all the wrong decisions to be made for all the wrong reasons
feels conflicted

The only way you could adapt is it to adapt the stronger individual stories as individual films which would mean adding a bunch of filler for most of them. It won't work.

J.R.R Tolkein sold the movie rights himself, Christopher's just went and disowned his son for not devoting his life to stopping the movies from being made

I think it could be done as an artbook.

Theres a book by the character designer and illustrator of final fanatsy and vampire hunter d called 'Deva Zan' in which his illustrations on every page illuminate his spare storytelling.

I think the Silmarillion could be done in the same way. I wouldnt trust any other adaption including comic books.

Don't care at all. He didn't write them. He didn't do anything. He has no special claim to understanding the series, just an inheritor of someone else's good work.

How could Frodo disown Bilbo? He was his nephew, and Bilbo's heir, user.
Also, why would he? Bilbo never did anything wrong?

Ok, I can understand if you want to distance yourself from these films and voice your disaproval. But basically denouncing your own son because of it?

What the fuck.

He is right. The movies lost everything that made the books great.

This is fucking retarded. Did this slapstick manure really make the final cut?

No, this is from the extended edition. Along with most (but not all!) of the little clips usually posted here.

A true patrician. Christopher did nothing wrong.

His right.

the jackson films were fucking horrendous and unrecognisable from the books

He's a great curator.
I respect his view.