Cameron said the following when asked if 2018 was still the target for the release of Avatar 2:

>Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven’t announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we’re not making Avatar 2. We’re making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It’s an epic undertaking. It’s not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. (Laughs) So I know where I’m going to be for the next eight years of my life. It’s not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we’re making four. We’re full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job and pretty soon we’ll be 24-7. We’re pretty well designed on all our creatures and sets. It’s pretty exciting stuff. I wish I could share with the world. But we have to preserve a certain amount of showmanship and we’re going to draw that curtain when the time is right.

When will someone tell him no one wants this crap anyway

Other urls found in this thread:

baka.com.au/news/entertainment/film/oscars-2009/psst-133-do-you-want-to-win-an-oscar/2009/02/19/1234632973365.html
youtube.com/watch?v=LxEqaSGzpgc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The movie version of Chinese Democracy

probably in terms of quality as well desu senpai

Do we really need a sequel to blue pocahantas? Didn't the first movie say enough?

How did it end up being the highest grossing film ever, anyway?

I'm not gonna shit on it because it had a pretty generic plot, I get that it was meant to be a big showpiece, but still, I don't get why it was SO popular.

who cares. im honestly so sick of franchises.
also:
>took 4.5 yrs to make #1
>8 years to make 4 more
how does anyone expect this to be a good franchise. its incredibly uninteresting.

>It’s not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. (Laughs)

Haha.

Where the movies at, you fucking fossil?

>How did it end up being the highest grossing film ever, anyway?

It was the movie that brought back 3D technology and promised a new way of watching movies.

First and foremost Cameron is a businessman, he sold that hype super fucking hard and people ate it up, I mean it's the guy who made Terminator and Titanic, he's good for it!

a combination of gimmicky 3D, supposedly revolutionary CGI and the fact that Cameron hadn't made a movie since 1997. It was also a family friendly movie.

Marketing? Paranormal activity had a fan moving bed covers and a woman screaming to the camera and it made bank with 83% rotten tomatoes.

Fuckin lol, Cameron has tanked his career with these movies, they'll probably bankrupt Fox if they ever come out.

Holy shit, how many times has he delayed this thing now? 3 times? 4? maybe even 5?

Well he's also making a massive ass Avatar theme park, so he probably stretched the franchise a little thin.

idk I'm into a new eco-based fantasy world. Can't be star wars an lotr all the time.

>we're making them all back-to-back
Yeah, but IIRC he hasn't ever started filming yet, just get on with it already before the actors all croak

Summer 2020

I really, really hate Avatar being a franchise. But I dont quite understand why I hate it so much. I saw Avatar and it was the epitome of meh. I dont care about capeshit endless sequels, but this Avatar business makes me literally rage. Why?

Please no "youre autistic" answers

was Avatar the beginning of the end of kino?

I blame the bluecats. If there is anything that is an actual challenge to present it is the Na'vi. CGI would bleed just to get the details correct. All the power armors and guns are easy pickings but the Na'vi would be a herculean task to present in their intended vision. Assuming he put documentary style places. Then it would even be harder to present.

I don't believe that these movies exist. Or that they will ever come out.

I'd be into if the navi race wasnt gay as fuck

You know your films fucked when you cheer on the humans fire bombing them hippies out of their tree

The movie said enough, but the box office said there needed to be eight sequels.

If this ends cinematic universes popping up, then do it!

God, I hope this bombs so hard, it ruins FOX and blacklists Cameron forever.
That tree fucking vegan degenerate hippie fuck.

This. Its a pretty interesting in terms of world building. It has disntict animals, plants, and people. I think he is combining both Star Trek and Star Wars with the military vs science thing. It even has mythology for a single film.

fuck dont remind me

>all these plebs talking shit

You will eat those words. When has Cameron ever not delivered? These kinos are gonna blow your socks off.

he's gonna end up sticking a billion dollars and 5 movies up his ass. Poor guy he lost his mind

For me, the problem was that the Na'vi were TOO perfect. I get that they were going for pretty simple good vs evil story but it felt like once you get tech and a world that has so much work going into it, it deserves a little more narrative and moral complexity. Nothing super deep, just a little more to question.

Lol Avatar is
S H I T
H
I
T

Bravo wasting the last the years of your life for such a shot series and theme land

it's trying so hard and so much money is thrown at it to make it a "franchise" even though it's completely mediocre and unearned?

Lmao I never thought of it that way, but that movie made some fucking movie off of nothing.

Where is the Magua of Pandora, a ruthless bastard that won't stomach DA YANKEE (see:jake) and his halfbreed spawn

How big is avatar feces? what does it taste like?

>When has Cameron ever not delivered?

With Avatar 1

Didn't the female Na'vi had a brother who hates Jake's guts?

Na'vi don't poop

-James Cameron.

Also it will be nearly a decade after the movie came out by the time the second one is in cinemas

Wouldnt it make more sense to just make Avatar 2, and release it to see how it fares?

Why do they assume all 4 of them will be a success just because its Avatar?

>Highest grossing film of all time
>Virtually no presence in pop culture

How does this happen?

Imagine if he dies the movies are over...oh wait no, it will have his face as marketing and will win a oscar for tears.

But seriously, what if Avatar 2 is universally disliked, what happens to the other movies?

The Abyss.

plz make battle angel instead Jim

What are you talking about, they play the trailer for Avatar on every nice TV they sell in Best Buy

I don't think you understand how big Avatar is in China. They will singlehandedly bankroll 50 Avatar films and one Avatar spin-off that's just a gang of Na'avi fucking your mother. They don't give a shit.

Kek he farmed out that "passion project" of his to Robert Rodriguez

Yeah but then they touched hair penises together and became best buds

0/10 You're just butthurt.

The sad thing is, I remember more about Abatap shitposting than I do about Avatar

This is going to be a fucking disaster. I hope they bomb and cause the 3D meme to die out.

God, I'm just hoping Cameron doesnt die while producing this shit.

Because there's nothing to remember about Avatar outside of its financial success. Everything about the movie is totally forgettable. You can't even get any "so bad it's good" material out of it. Pure mediocrity from start to finish.

I love how divisive it is right now. My guess is Cameron would pull a Wrath of Khan in the movie. Essentially rebooting the whole thing.

I hope Avatar 2 has Ghosts.

This could be a bigger disaster than the star wars prequels

I hope rlm is ready

It had a very definite effect; 3D film being popularized again and Hollywood blockbusters coming 3D as standard.

It didn't have much effect as an art piece, I'll agree.

This is what butthurt haters actually believe.

Cry more.

And the 3D fad is already dead again

So unless Cameron can bring it back again with 2, its not making as much money this time around

Its success is owed mainly to the technology, but also timing - it filled the void left in the sci-fi genre after the Star Wars prequels ended.

Because Cameron's head is so far up his own ass these days that he still doesnt realize NOBODY CARED about Avatar's story or characters, or wants to see them continue.

The guy's completely lost touch with what made his earlier movies work so well, falling into the same love affair with CG as Lucas and Jackson.

Does Titanic have much of a presence in pop culture? You look at most of those top grossing movies and there isn't really any lasting legacy.

>Still not watched avatar

movies are still being released in 3D every week and remain profitable, especially tentpoles. Even fucking B-movie tentpoles like Resident Evil (look up how well the latest did abroad.) Every kids film is 3D.

And now with VR which can offer better 3D experiences, there's even more incentive for productions to utilise the format.

Just because it failed on TVs doesn't mean it's dead. Far from it.

Celine Dion has a stronger place in pop culture than the actual movie.

People still meme about the Jack and Rose scenes all the time. Of course it's part of culture.

It still holds an Oscar record too.

Thankfully we have Snyder to set things right again ;)

Shakespeare in Love won an Oscar for Best Picture thanks to Titanic.

>people here are still doubting Jim
When will newfags learn

Yes but I wonder which one is more profitable when it comes to them movies, the 2D or 3D screenings.

Whenever I talk to anyone they talk about how they watch it in 2D, and I havent really seen anyone on this board praise 3D at all

Chinese Democracy is a great record. Give it a chance. Listen to every track. Prostitute is every bit the great ending track that rocket queen was.

I want Old Jim back (T2, Aliens, Piranha II), not this imposter.

but GNR is shit in general

>T2
thanks for showing your plebness. I bet you didn't even watch Avatar in the cinema

>Does Titanic have much of a presence in pop culture?
Yes, people still talk about Jack and rose and if they could both fit on the wreckage and so on.

Looking at the top 25 films, The only film that has less cultural impact in Avatar would be Alice in Wonderland (2010), Transformers movies. (Assuming you count series as a whole for cultural impact, as while bond is huge, skyfall isn't)

>Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Wasnt that the first major 3D release after Avatar aswell?

>Abatap will triumphantly return to Sup Forums upon the release of Avatar 2

Certainly more than Avatar.

Isn't he dead or in jail or something?

Yes it was.

Alice in Wonderland, How you Train your Dragon, and Clash of the Titans where the next major releases of 3d after Avatar in that order.

Thank God Sir Ridley is still making interesting (albiet flawed) movies. Certainly preferable to Cameron's sanitized hippie trash.

My local has 4DX. It's actually pretty good.

why do you keep mentioning hippies? Are you a conservative christian from 1960s America?

let it go, gramps.

I disagree. So do the millions of dollars spent on the reunion tour which is selling out all over the world. And i know the next statement will be that Axl is a shit and they are just doing a nostalgia act. They are playing the new stuff and pulling out older songs that never got played much like Coma(which, if you wish to be critical of their skill, is a an incredibly complicated song for everybody in the band)

>Thank God Sir Ridley is still making interesting (albiet flawed) movies
But he isn't. He sleeps in the directors chair and his apprentice's do everything

baka.com.au/news/entertainment/film/oscars-2009/psst-133-do-you-want-to-win-an-oscar/2009/02/19/1234632973365.html
>Miramax spent an estimated $US16 million (about $US2700 for each academy member) on its Shakespeare campaign, hosting red-carpet events and intimate lunches with the stars. So many advertisements ran in the Hollywood trade journals that rival studio boss Jeffrey Katzenberg, who was backing Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan, had to increase spending just to stay in the race.

>Then it got ugly. Damaging reports surfaced about the historical accuracy of Ryan. Some film journalists alleged that Miramax publicists had leaned on them to criticise Spielberg's film, the front-runner for best picture. Miramax championed Shakespeare's leading lady, Gwyneth Paltrow, as her competitors, including Cate Blanchett and Emily Watson, were denounced for the heinous crime of not being American. The result: Shakespeare In Love won seven Oscars, including best film and best actress.

Scorsese even released a 3d movie post-Avatar.

Shakespeare in Love is pretty gr8 tho.

Greatness takes time

LOL, he literally said he's going to make a trilogy as a backdoor to the original alien starting with A:C and that he feels he could make 6 more alien movies now

I remember fapping buckets to that in high school.

try having an Egyptian mummy fetish and watching that unravelling scene.

Titanic 8 fucking when?

I'll take that over 10 Avatar sequels.

Fuck. You too?

youtube.com/watch?v=LxEqaSGzpgc

email Asylum.

Avatar was the first movie I walked out of.

there was an alien sex scene with a penis silhouette

>On how many movies are you?
>Like, 2 or 3
>You are like little baby, watch this

Is this going to be Cameron's first blunder?

>tfw watching that scene in English class
My teacher was a sadistic bastard.

this nigga's so lazy he's just waiting until he can film the sequels on location

>For me, the problem was that the Na'vi were TOO perfect.
agreed and the humans acted in such ridiculously stupid ways

>send Jake to be a scout and diplomat to the Na'vi
>he actually does his fucking job for once and destroys a $100 camera mounted on a multi million dollar bulldozer to prevent them from doing something supremely stupid like destroying a forest sacred to the natives
>in response to this they haphazardly pull him out of the machine despite warnings that it could kill him and then punch him (a harmless cripple) in the face

go watch it then, its enjoyable

he's dead jim