Was he a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338
youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw
youtube.com/watch?v=Iv_XaPp-XIY
clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
youtube.com/watch?v=HDe0xQN1XSE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, but Kurt realized it was pointless to keep fighting.

No, Kurt Russell was.

Why, he knew the world was at steak but just gave up?

EVERYONE WAS A THING

What could he do against the thing? He couldn't run, its the fucking artic, he couldn't fight it because he would get infected by it, and he couldnt destroy it because the base was burned down

>steak

no he wasnt

oh boy this meme thread again

yes
you couldnt see his breath in the cold

youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338

Carpenter said it himself
he thought it was obvious
guess it wasnt

This made me laugh more than it should have.

>Yes

>hurr my foam
youre a dumb fucking retard ill tell you that

both carpenter and kurt have said one thing and contradicted it with their next statement they have been trolling everyone for 30 years

Intentionally ambiguous as per word of god, and no the "clues" and "proof" have all been debunked by the director as unintentional.

He could burn it

That makes the most sense

With what?

Carpenter has also said that it was just how the lighting was setup and that it didn't make the breath visible. The man is senile and probably remembers things differently each day.

kill you are self
childs' foam is just in the shadow, barely visible but still there

>30 year old movie consistently gets threads at least once a month
how the fuck did Carpenter do it?

He's not a master of horror because he's a shit.

Dosnt matter and thats the point.
The thing lost, Kurts character won.

The thing was trapped in the ice for what, a hundred thousand years or what ever? I don't think it's gonna be upset if it has to wait a few months for rescue.

How tho, the thing can survive in the artic surely so if he hadn't fully killed it it could still escape

Uh, if Childs is indeed a Thing, MacReady loses. Eventually people will go to the station to see why contact was lost, they will find their frozen bodies, which will be shipped home. Childs thaws out, Thing is free to assimilate everything, world ends.

There are a couple scenarios for the movie end.
A. Kurt is the thing and Childs is a human, in which case Thing wins because all it has to do is wait for Childs to freeze to death and then wait for the rescue team to bring his now frozen body back to civilization (for a proper burial or something like that)
B. The above scenario, but Childs is the thing
C. They are both the thing and are laughing because they know they've won
D. Neither are the thing

The idea of the movie plays off deception. You're not supposed to know. which is why it's a great ending.

it doesn't even matter if Childs is the thing, there has to be some tissue left from the main creature, even with the explosion and fire some survived which will eventually be taken for research. the only way the thing doesn't win is if childs or mac survive long enough to warn others

I think by far the biggest clue that says Childs' is the Thing is that the central theme / what makes the movie work is the uncertainty as towards the identity of everyone in the movie. It makes sense thematically to end the movie on another question of identity. The actual evidence in the final scene is quite compelling too.

Yes you can you blind fuck, watch it again. The part at 1:26 when he breathes out. It's just harder to distinguish cus MacReady is facing the fire and Childs is away so its harder to see.

>he couldn't fight it because he would get infected by it

and if he didn't fight it he would get infected anyway

WE WUZ THANGS

>Dirty drawers

>The actual evidence in the final scene is quite compelling too.

>The breath was there, the lighting just makes it harder to see.
>The bottle contained whiskey (MacReady was bringing the open bottle to his lips when Childs walked up behind him), not gasoline.

What else?

Yep he was just fucking with mcready at the end.

WE WUZ THANGS AND SHIET

I like to think that Childs is the Thing. The movie starts by MacReady destroying a computer, a superior being, which beat him in chess. Now, MacReady realizes that the Thing has beaten him, but he has matured, so he accepts his loss to a superior being. You also cant see light in anyone's eyes who we can confirm were the Thing. We cant see light in Childs' eyes either.

Yes, he drank fuel without knowing

Well, Childs' is wearing a different coat than he was the previous time we saw him. As youtube film theorists have pointed out, a change in clothes usually signifies that a character has been assimilated.

As much as I don't like that to be the ending, yes one of them was the thing. My reasoning is the movie is part of carpenters "apocalypse trilogy" where the the movie always ends with the villain winning,
>prince of darkness
He eventually lets lucifer through the mirror at the end
>in the mouth of madness
The creatures are released from the book
>the thing
Obviously it makes its way to civilization and infects everyone

Hmm, that could actually be something at least. I'll have to watch for it next time I watch the movie.

They were both a thing.

What if both of them were the Thing?

no you dumb motherfucker Mac's destroying the computer was showing he would rather cheat the game itself than lose, therefore he burned to whole fucking camp down
and childs is sitting with his BACK TURNED TO A FIRE there is no light to be reflected from
think a little you fucking bellend

Just throwing out theories here. Chill, please will you? Maybe youre the Thing, you piece of shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw

I would say you should bookmark this and watch after you re-watch the movie, I wouldn't want to be accused of Poisoning the Well. I think it's a strong theory, I think the movie is made all the better if Childs' is the Thing.

Watch Clark.

I'd like to come in now. I'm MUCH better. You can't just leave me out here

'no'

Huh?

now playing

What if Mac is the Thing and it realized the only way to survive was to make everyone think he's not the Thing by killing the other Things

The most important scene for figuring out the ambiguous ending, actually happens in the very beginning, with MacReady playing chess against the computer

youtube.com/watch?v=Iv_XaPp-XIY

He loses, but he pours bourbon all over the circuit destroying the PC. This is foreshadowing the end, when MacReady is defeated but not willing to go down without a fight. Childs consuming the alcohol (or fuel) is MacReady's final move, his ace in the hole.

watch him KLOWss

Best The Thing fanfic (by actual good and professionally published author):

I'll do that.

alright then Sup Forums

is the thing (2011) worth watching or is it just memes?

No. It's not worth it at all.

don't watch it

that's the thing you see, nobody knows

I personally like to believe that they were both human in the end.

HAVING SAID THAT, I know how to look at frames, and I know that there is a very strong case is for Childs being a thing. This case has absolutely nothing to do with the "the thing doesn't breathe steam/does/doesn't make noises" canards.

Blair-thing was obviously skulking around in the shadows-cellar-areas for the previous day or two, and can obviously dig a mean tunnel. It is therefore easy and logical to infer that Blair-thing(s) tunneled into the basement area of the main complex (something like this obviously happened just by watching the penultimate sequence!), which obviously leads up the basement doors, conveniently right behind Childs. The establishing shot of Childs solo by the door/the later shot (I forget exactly who's in the frame when, I just know that Childs is standing guard when Mac gives him the If-alone-burn-on-sight order, I seem to remember that the frame is devoid of humanoids on the second go-around so perhaps this is any of blair-childs-thing POV as Childs(?) runs out the door), together with the now "subterranean" character of the Thing, clearly establish a very possibility of Childs having been ambushed while alone, which furthermore fits the Thing's M.O. (better to corner and pick off one-at-a-time).

sound i'll watch it

thanks lads

watch it for MEW

I like it enough that I made this, which I autistically post from time to time. I'm in the minority. If you really really really like 1982 then maybe give it a try, but it's no huge loss to you if you don't watch it. I just like it myself.

I want you guys to think for a second.
Why would Childs hesitate to drink alcohol?
He could've thought that MacReady was actually a thing and put it's fluid inside and was seeking to assimilate him from the inside and quietly.
And let's not forget the slight relief that MacReady expresses in laughter after he drinks and notices his hesitation

In the comics he was.

It was wasted potential.

I was hoping they would do a lot more with a language barrier and paranoia because of it, but it turns out luckily everyone except two people I think it was, spoke perfect english despite being based in the norweigen camp.

Shame, add to that the cgi effects that were used in place of the practical effects, studio pushing in and forcing changes...

I love this short story from the perspective of the thing

>I am Being Childs
dropped

It's fucking shit. I appreciate the fact that they went to the effort of keeping things consistent with the events shown in the original, but it just fucks everything up. The events that transpire in the prequel are definitively "more impactful" than the original, which just serves to make the original appear more insignificant. "oh haha you guys blew up your base fighting the thing? Well we went inside a fucking UFO that was about to fucking take off and we stopped it!"

Not to mention how it leaves the absence of MEW in the original unexplained. What happened to her? Why didn't she go to the american base to warn everyone?

Not to mention the shitty CGI

Not to mention the dental cavity test, which makes more sense and is more practical than the blood test, but it's nowhere near as interesting from the standpoint of a movie.

wow this image gave me nuclear autism, thanks.

It was bullshit how the cast of 2011 had 3 americans out of the small handful, and I think all but 1 norwegian spoke perfect english anyway. So the only person that couldn't speak english was the one that they couldn't have speaking english due to what's already set up in the 1982 movie.

Your loss bud

Fun fact, the dude playing the norwegian was russian. Hearing his norwegian was cringey for me.

Cringy as fuck.

keep in mind that he had made mouthpieces that held dry ice in the actors' mouths to make it look super cold. Carpenter didn't fuck around with this shit

the scene looks exactly the way it's supposed to
childs is infected

fuck off you dumb motherfucker

that scene with him speaking (((norwegian))) is laughable and cringe at the same time. Cant find it on youtube ..

>Childs to MacReady; "I suppose we're a Thing now?"

Seriously, Cronenberg?

FYI every Norwegian speaks and understands English.

and would this have been true of a couple roughnecks living in antarctica back in 1982?

They would definitely be able to communicate.

youtube.com/watch?v=HDe0xQN1XSE

Just had to post this.
They are not Norwegian, but their attempt is hilarious.