Couldn't they just have used the autodoc 1 year each and double up their lifespans?

Couldn't they just have used the autodoc 1 year each and double up their lifespans?

Is the movie watchable?

Probably didn't have enough chemical supplies for more than 2 autodoc cycles

Its bearable if you have nothing else to watch.

no

He asked if it was watchable, not good, and it is indeed watchable, its no bad, its just bland.

nope, I turned it off after 40 minutes. it even has a fucking Guardians of the Galaxy dance off reference.

Yes the special effects are really good, the pool zero gravity scene is brilliant.

It's not 7/10 but it's definetely watchable.

My problem with it is when they woke up Forrest Whitaker why didn't they wake up some of the crew because he had access to their quarters? Didn't understand that at all.

Imagine being trapped for 90 years with those two insufferable cunts.
90 minutes was bad enough.

>My problem with it is when they woke up Forrest Whitaker why didn't they wake up some of the crew because he had access to their quarters? Didn't understand that at all.
So they could die alone in a space hotel too?

why? they would still get lonely

better to have a kid, then put the kid in the autodoc so he can have a life in the colony.

>no life support capsule has failed ever so we didnt have any kind of safeguard in place if one does.

into the trash it went.

They could have at least lived some 50~ years in homestead 2.

So they both live their lives entirely alone on a ship, and they reach their new planet when they're 75?

What would be the point...

Yeah its dumb, it would have been better if the meteorite damaged something related to the backup capsules.

So humans only live until 80 in that future?

Watchable in terms of watching Jennifer Lawrence's tits and ass bounce throughout the movie.

Honestly would rather live in this 5 star hotel in interstellar space my whole life with jennifer lawence than go to some other earth.
the view alone from the pool in there is fucking amazing. they flew past a star ffs. thats living dude. not being a mechanic on some second earth then dying alone or worse.
by the end it looked like they had lived a sweet life.

i just got done watching it and its pretty much a pointless movie a couple good cgi shots of space but thats it

Jlaw never shuts the fuck up and is annoying as hell, i'd have ejected her into space within a week.

it's literally a poor man's PANDORUM

Shut the fuck up you virgin retard.

all movies a pointless my friend. why dont you read a book and get some knowledge?

No, the crew could make the hibernation pods work.

And YES it's their damn ship and the fucking things was broken, why should a passenger have to risk his life trying to fix the reactor.

>No, the crew could make the hibernation pods work.
No they couldn't, shut the fuck up if you didn't watch the movie.

Why build a hibernation pod when you can only use it once?

Watch Isaac Arthur's videos on youtube, if a ship ever gets up to half of light speed a grain of sand hitting the ship would be like a small nuclear bomb so you would need a very fast and accurate lazer system to destroy the obstacles, same with bigger objects. The protection in the film is no where near as good as it would need to be.

Yes they would, "hurr it's impossible to fail so we don't have any safeguards to restart the damn things on a huge ass ship carrying thousands of people."

Is this good? I'm bored and tempted to watch it

you're the one with Jennifer Lawrence as your waifu you fucking perma-virgin.

It's "OK - Good", depends on how much of a pleb you are.

No they couldn't, watch the fucking movie you retard.

WEW

How the fuck is any of what you wrote relevant to making the plot work with an easy fix?

Watch The Martian instead.

Not realistic. Of course they could, if they can create a ship that can go 50% the speed of light then they can figure out a way to restart a fucking hibernation pod, wake up the medical teams.

>Implying it isn't the responsibility of the crew to die so that their passengers might live
Wew lad not hiring you for my space travel firm.

See

you think people have "waifus", i just think she is hot you fucking dumb bitch. omg you are so stupid.

In real life nothing would've ever hit the ship, that's the point, if the ships were like the one in this film none of them would get more than 2AU before exploding after being struck by a 1gram piece of rock.

The part (one minute in) where a spaceship in the future couldn't avoid an asteroid that would cause damage to the ship is where I turned it off.

>call people dumb perma virgin
>defend jlaw just because she's hot even though she's a bad actress
>pretty much just thinking with your dick
wew, lad

You are too stupid to be on Sup Forums

>*snort snort wheeze* IN REAL LIFE *wheeze* NONE OF THESE STUPID SCI-FI *snort* MOVIES *snort* COULD ACTUALLY BE REAL *wheeze* I WOULD HAVE DESIGNED A BETTER SHIP *wheeze*

>How could have we possibly foreseen a pod malfunctioning during this century long voyage
Are you telling me they had room to make halls and shit, but no room for extra emergency pods!?
I might be autism, but hanging your movie on a premise this flimsy is retarded.

Just because it's the future doesn't mean accidents don't happen. It's precisely because it's real life that shit does happens.

See

>calls people stupid
>can't even punctuate properly

Top cuck

Not that guy, but suspension of disbelief only works when things aren't totally batshit retarded, see They could've put hundreds of other reasons for a ship to fail in a shitty movie.

I know you're baiting, but to anyone who didn't watch the movie, basically the pods could be restarded, but it would be useless because the process of safely preparing a body for hibernation took months and a whole team of doctors. They boarded the ship already in an induced coma, so even if they woke up the medical staff to get them hybernation ready it would mean there would always be at least one staff member left out.

In other words the pods were designed to keep you hibernated, not to make the transition from full consciousness to hibernation.

> if they can create a ship that can go 50% the speed of light then they can figure out a way to restart a fucking hibernation pod,
we've had space stations orbiting earth since the 80s yet we still don't have a cancer treatment that doesn't involve pumping poison into you for 6 months and nearly killing the patient. What's your point?

>guys, we have tech to make a super realistic androids, what should we use it for?
>bar-tendering, obviously
Fucking Alien had the sense to have an android be on-board to handle that sort of shit and Weiland-Yutani doesn't even give a shit about their employees' lives.

>pretty much just thinking with your dick
>defend jlaw just because she's hot even though she's a bad actress

jesus christ. no shit fuckhead! that was the only point that matters, only thinking she is hot doesnt have anything to do with thinking she is a good actress. how fucking dare you even talk back to me like this? HOW DAAAREE YOU!!!?!?!

The bartender AI wasn't even that advanced. All he did was serve drinks and engage in superficial talk. He didn't even understand the scale of what was happening.

>You are too stupid to be on Sup Forums

Literally impossible.

>I was only pretending to be an illiterate moron!

If a ship cannot avoid a meteor that sized then it wouldn't last one year in space. I say a year because IN REAL LIFE meteors and asteroids etc are not bunched close together they are hundreds of thousands of miles apart in the oort cloud / kuiper belt. Another falsehood in this film.

It's the ship company's obligation to put the customer back to sleep so a crew member must stay away.

Good to know you read the T&Cs of a fictional company from a movie starred bu jlaw and pratt you autist.

>HURR

I accept your completely graceless surrender.

He just needed to be advanced enough to press the buttons for the last person to enter sleep.

What's autistic about it?

It's common sense, of course the crew have to assist a passenger in distress, it's the same for planes, and ships why wouldn't it be the same for a space ship?

>HOW DAAAREE YOU!!!?!?!
You need to learn to be more subtle. Here's a pity (You).

He was surrendering to me actually.

>of course the crew have to assist a passenger in distress, it's the same for planes, and ships
heh that's not how it works in real life kiddo, assisting doesn't mean they have to literally kill themselves so that you may live. Nothing personell....

Yeah, pick the one example where the Captain ended up being charged for crimes. Well done.

What about the rest of the crew?

Keep digging my friend.

Its possible if you are that the plot of a sci-fi movie is "not realistic".

>there are people who would resort to making up illogical reasoning and ignore all basis of reality just to defend a mediocre movie
Sad!

That's a valid criticism of a sci-fi movie, tho. Obviously the main sci-fi conceit doesn't have to be realistic (ftl travel, for example) but when it gets basic facts about astronomy completely wrong then pointing this out is perfectly fair.

The ship didn't go faster than light, it was 50% the speed of light, they even bothered to add in that by the time you have slowed a ship going that fast down you would've been nearly at your destination anyway. Why bother to research that but ignore completely other things?

Thats "valid criticism" of every sci-fi movie ever created then, basically saying that the whole genre isn't valid as a entertainment source.

Even the best sci-fi movies have retarded plot points that could be fixed with third grader reasoning.

You are confusing 'realistic' and 'believable'. Sci-fi having unrealistic technology is one thing, it having unbelievable aspects is another thing.

So we can't talk hypotheticals when we're talking hypotheticals?

>technology that doesn't exist yet needs to be "believable"
How stupid are you? do you think that Alien is realistic?

You are too stupid to believe.

Who are you talking to? you need to work on that reading comprehension and stop answering to your own hallucinations.

How? Can a ship going 50% of the speed of light just do a quick U turn?

I would have thought that context of the thread would have been enough but it seems you're really dense. So let me outline things to you, some that have even already been mentioned in this thread.

- only 1 doc pod
- no backup plans for a ridiculously expensive project, just 'it's perfect nothing will go wrong'
- no fail safe etc
- no protocols for when there's a need to fix stuff like you know, pod breaking down and a need to put someone back to sleep again

None of those things have anything to do with non-existing tech, just basic protocols and plans that we already currently have.

I'm adding to what you say. Chill out user, not everyone is out to get you

Don't forget the fusion reactor was going to explode without waking up any of the crew to fix it.

Wasn't the captain also sick beyond repair. Why would anyone put a half dead person into the freezer and let them be in charge of a ship.

I thought he got sick because of his machine breaking and waking him up (yet the other two characters are absolutely fine).

Maybe, haven't seen this flick in a long while.
Now thinking about it, she mentioned that she wants to take the flight back after she landed and wake up seventy years later again. But was that a fresh planet to settle or an already settled planet? The former would make no sense at all then.

She wanted to go to the new planet that had no one on it, stay for a year then go back I think which also makes sense because why the fuck are they going to use the ship to just take her back?

>Even airbrushed to hell and back JLaw has an ugly face
I don't get the boner people have for that cunty bitch ass cunt.

If he didn't fuck it up and wake her up he could have done that.

It was a watchable movie but nothing special.

She left her fancy life and friends/family just to be a journalist on a new colony?

Yeah, right.

I watched it the movies becuz none of my friends wanted to see it with me, cause "LOL BOMB".

It wasn't nearly as terrible as the reviews would lead you to believe it is. Like others said, the CGI/production value was on point, and there was enough suspense and tension to keep your eyes on the screen. Yeah, the story has serious problems and people complain about the movie being a 'bait and switch', owing to a big omission kept from the trailer. My response to all that, is that people are just virtual signaling and being anal. I can't say anymore (probably already said enough) without spoiling, what all the hubbub is about.

>make point about there's double of everything on board
>even some reactor cpu parts, that's supposedly failsafe
>doesn't check the cargo hold for the backup autodoc

this whas one plot hole the size of grand canyon desu senpai
that

No, but apparently it can slingshot around a red giant at 0.5c

What if the crew took shifts over the trip to be awake and keep everything in order. Wouldn't that make sense anyway? Why would you not want at least a few humans awake to make sure everything is in order? Automatic systems can fail with nothing overseeing them, people in this movie must know that right?

Do you know how far away off course the ship would have to go to slingshot off another star?

>likes Jlaw
>uses "ur a virgin" as an argument
>doesn't have a waifu
You're not from around here, are you?

no, i don't. You tell me

You'd have to go decades off course, maybe even millenia to find a suitable star for such a maneuver. All space missions that go to other planets have their routes planned down to the minute. You don't just change course like star trek.

This was probably the most braindead retarded thing about the plot.
>we're moving at 150'000 km/s and constantly accelerating
>let's make the trip several times longer to gain a few hundred km/s in this slingshot maneuver

Thanks Mr. deGrasse Tyson

>>doesn't check the cargo hold for the backup autodoc
He did check, watch the movie.

>probe trips are planned down to the minute
They aren't, actually. There is always a fudge factor and correction burns involved. The general flightplan is set in stone, however, since it takes a ton of delta v to just go around doing random shit.

The entire film's plothole summed up in one word: (no) redundancy.

I like chris pratt.
I even like literally red.dit the actress and shes hot as a blonde too

but that one single thing ruined the whole film. Too much of a leap to accept in the name of driving the story

>computer isn't redundant
>reactor isn't redundant
>pods aren't redundant
>autodoc isn't redundant

That's what I mean, a ship going to a star isn't able to change course so dramatically because the ship isn't going to be carrying enough fuel to be able to make such a maneuver change. Maybe it can slow down a few days early when approaching the destination but other than that they are set on their course and that is that.

The action part where they fix the reactor or whatever was eyeroll inducing

Yes, a fusion reactor essentially contains within it temperatures that are as hot as the centre of the sun, yet he is able to survive an outblowing of such material. IRL he would've been incinerated instantly and so would most of the exhaust unless it is made out of a super unobtanium style material.