What is your favorite pre-Columbian civilization/people and why, Sup Forums?

What is your favorite pre-Columbian civilization/people and why, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selk'nam_genocide
youtu.be/yOIkOKkL1BE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarascan_state#Metallurgy
youtube.com/watch?v=8kQZHYbZkLs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_chronology
peoplesworld.org/article/in-mexico-a-history-of-struggle-drives-a-dance-of-resistance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did you know we used to rip out the hearts of all invaders, grilled it and ate it for gaining spiritual power?

no

Cherokee (unironically)

Now you know that "!white people" aren't a thing and we tried to fight against that shit.

There is a lot to recognize them for. Vut I dislike that pretty much all of them had human sacrifices to some degree as a integral part of their culture.
Is not that other human groups are any better.
All humans are subhumans, tbqh.

What about your favorite pre-cambrian civilization/people?

Tell me about them
I don't mind the sacrifices tbqh :^)

The Incas because I played as them in EU4 once and the Andes are really pretty

what does that have to do with white people, you were being conquered as part of a crusade

If South America counts, pic-related because aesthetics.

In complete honesty Native Americans (Indians) were totally based and extremely honorable if you can believe it. But had an anime-type anger which was like, "if you really piss me off I will attack you with the fury of nature herself".

All they wanted to do was hunt, smoke pot, live in peace and appreciate nature.

A shame they're totally fucked desu. I met an apache tribe member on Steam years ago and it's super neat how he talks.

Pre-Columbian just means the time before Europeans arrived in the Americas so yes both North and South America are included.

>tfw selknam no longer exists because they were genocided by Argentina and Chile
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selk'nam_genocide

:c

If they wanted to live in peace how come they have a long history of war and politics same as any other continent on Earth you retard? Damn.

Incas, they were more intelligent than many european civilizations at the time

>how he talks
You mean his language? Or do some Native Americans have a special accent?

Ah. The 'ol

>let's just be really negative and call people names with no basis for my argument whatsoever tactic

At least Gusinde recorded one of the last kloketen ceremonies before they disappeared

They all have a similar accent in Canada and America, the Inuit have it too

Interesting, how come they have their own accent? Do you have any examples?

Watch the movie "Dances with Wolves" if you want.

I assume the accent is caused by some kind of ancient shared language group. Here's an example I just found on YouTube. Or, for an exaggerated version, try the Indian chief from Disney's Peter Pan. They all have this cadence and tendency to "cluck" some sounds.

youtu.be/yOIkOKkL1BE

Thanks

Mayans, they had metallurgy and FUCKING WRITING. A REAL writing system, logograms complemented with a set of syllabic glyphs like Japanese, not the basic hieroglyphics of other pre-colombian peoples

One of the only truly original writing systems that humanity has come up with in its history, iirc.

Imagine if Europeans/Africans never came to America for, say a few hundred more years. Imagine how different the tribes there would be.
Had the Mayans actually built up their language and had their knowledge accelerated, they'd be a totally different people.
Imagine if they invented or discovered gunpowder too? It gets my alt-history dick raging just thinking about it

comanche because my only native ancestor comes from the tribe. plus after mastering the horse they were actually able to push back euros for a bit and regain some land before the north came down after the civil war and stomped them out.

>All they wanted to do was hunt, smoke pot, live in peace and appreciate nature.

Seems to me that they sure had quite a decent smorgasbord of wars

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization

Purepechas also had metallurgy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarascan_state#Metallurgy
It's really sad desu ;-;
>tfw you'll never get to a modern native american society with its own unique literature, architecture, religion and way of life

mi'kmaq because their r1

all they wanted to do was kill males from opposing tribes and capture their females

the mayans society collapsed before columbus
thinking about the aztecs?

around the great lakes there was basic copper smelting

Mayas still existed when the Europeans arrived, they were just having a dark time or whatever.

The Caribbean ones since probably 1 of them is my ancestor

The Mayan "CLASSIC" period ended 900-1000 AD but the Mayans did what they always did, they rebuilt and their society evolved, newer, smaller city states popped up and they did pretty good for themselves, still urban societies, still with their own writing and a "lingua franca" dialect of Mayan used by elites. They domesticated bees, ducks and wild fowl. The Last Mayan city state fell to the Spanish 1697!

It wouldn't have been so bad if the Spanish didn't burn HUNDREDS OF MAYAN BOOKS

>The Last Mayan city state fell to the Spanish 1697!
You’re talking about Peten, right?
>It wouldn't have been so bad if the Spanish didn't burn HUNDREDS OF MAYAN BOOKS
Why did they do this?

ajaksjaksjaksjk chinos oscuros

Mayas

The Hohokam for their engineering, especially their canal systems in the Salt and Gila-rivers, and the Mayans for their interesting games, they used to play a ball game called "ōllamaliztli" in which the losing team would offered up for human sacrifice, and sometimes, they used a head of one of the previous team members who lost as the ball.

arr rook same

Incas of course

I don’t know much about the Hohokam desu
Are you Native American? I think I always see you on this type of threads lol

Because they thought the books were were SATANICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Iroquois 'cause they're matriarchal and matrilinear.

my ancestors :)

Thanks for this thread OP.

The one who made this.
youtube.com/watch?v=8kQZHYbZkLs

Why did wh*tes have to ruin everything?

This

Mayans were pretty much the Ancient Greeks of Mesoamerica. Aztecs were like the Romans, and Incans never really had enough time to see if they had a shot at being a relevant power or not.

tell me more about this

>Mayans were pretty much the Ancient Greeks of Mesoamerica. Aztecs were like the Romans
wut

You're right on Mesoamerica but I think Incas were the culmination of a longer civilizational drive. the thing is their culture was more like Tibetan Buddhism than Europe, it followed on a very different model.

It's a really old comparison, that's why the height of Mayan power is termed the "Classic period" in Mesoamerican chronology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_chronology

18th century Mexicans also pushed hard for this interpretation of the Aztecs as Rome as it gave the nation a sense of prestige in terms of identity and parallelisms were deliberately emphasized, eg the eagle as a symbol.

incas, because they lived in the mountains.

I'll go with Massasoit since they're Massachusetts natives and helped out the first pilgrims when they arrived. Too bad they got slaughtered in the end like the rest of em but hey, sucks to suck I guess.

I am current reading a book about the toltecs and it has really opened me eyes. A lot of these ancient civilizations in mexico had amazing knowledge of this planet, more so than most europeans at the time. Also very interesting that the "religion" or whatever they followed was almost 100% like Buddhism, yet they never crossed paths. They both had the same theories about this world.

How was their religion similar to Buddhism? Also, what book?

>pre-Columbian
>civilization

Pick one

Who are these?

The Aztecs, Mayans, Inca, and probably a few others all fall under the definition of civilization

okay...

The spaniards mated with the natives, the anglos killed them off. In the end, who was right?

peoplesworld.org/article/in-mexico-a-history-of-struggle-drives-a-dance-of-resistance/

Well in Iroquoian society, women had a big influence and played a big roles in politics (they even had their own council, I think)

Their offspring were automatically part of the mother's clan and the husband had to live in her wife's long house.

What the fuck

>says a viking rapebaby

The guy in that pic is an Amazonian, not a Mexican

i know.
also >guy
lol

Norwegian education ladies and gents

Why were northern native americans all about being one with nature and passing the peace pipe while natives in the south were cutting out hearts and doing creepy bodymods?

>one with nature and passing the peace pipe
>cutting out hearts and doing creepy bodymods
Both are exceedingly inaccurate stereotypes

yes but there are still big differences in general. there arent any giant temples where sacrifices were made left over in the US or Canada.

that dude in the upper left corner seems nice.

why were northern natives and south/central natives so phenotypically different? northern natives were taller and broader than europeans, where in the south/central it was the opposite.

is it down to diet or is there some genetic differences between different native groups? i know europeans for example are relatively close genetically, where sub suharan africans can differ quite a bit

Native Americans living in the Northern part of North America (as in Alaska and Canada) have admixture from another 2 waves of settlers coming from Asia, I think.

It's to my understanding it has to do with the way gravity affects objects near the equator.

interesting
hmm never heard of this before