ITT: we grade movie stills to look better

ITT: we grade movie stills to look better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jeez, I need sunglasses to look at the bottom picture.

I give you a C-

Why did you make the scene overcast?

I didn't?

haven't seen the movie, and you didn't label each image, but the top looks like shit and the bottom looks good.

top is blu ray. Bottom is regrade.

>there will never be a pure noir B&W HP movie in your lifetime

Can somebody do this pls

The first one looks like it's set in that period, your grade looks like it's shot today.

Films aren't just about muh realism you know

these grading thread where people grade already graded picture are absolute trash

Im glad the Fantastic Beasts movie was not fucking near B&W like the last few HP movies, they must have realized how terrible it looked

also checked

You know what, time to have fun with some filters and make a webm...hold on.

more hacksaw ridge

good colors but values are still too flat

Sorry, the top is better

more contrast against the sky, bottom shots are all blue so the people and back ground dont pop out against the sky anymore

Pretty sure it's called RATING movies not fucking grading, that's like some elementary school shit.

the bottom one looks absolutely horrible

overexposed face compared to the rest of the scene, made him look like a zombie

so jacked its hard to do anything

>more contrast against the sky

that's literally the opposite of reality

A. There is more contrast in terms of value between the people and the sky in the bottom image.

B. in terms of color red against blue contrasts more than orange and yellow against cyan. Learn colors.

How dark and mature

just get the original theatrical cut lol.

I'm CIA (color image adjusted)

Reminder

>blue sky
>overcast
really made me think!

Don't do that.

this too

>Don't do that.

one of those is the theatrical release dummy

are you talking to the studio?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8

>that piss coloured filter

What is this, Life During Wartime?

ITT: you grade movie stills to look different and act like you made it better just due to the contrast between the two

Digital color grading is the worst thing that has ever happened to motion pictures.

>different periods had different sky colors

No it's actually one of the best. The problem is that most colorists just totally suck.

What are some examples of good digital colorists, then? Genuinely curious.

>One of the best

No. It's one of the worst. It's like Ted Turner x 100.

The colorists just do what their told. The producers are the ones who now get the opportunity to "make this look exactly like that other film that just made money".

Robert Richardson got fired from World War Z and permanently banned from working with the studio because of the producers taking a dump all over his work in the digital color suite. And just look at OP's image - That's a great director and cinematographer team - and they still did the "let's make it look like urine to look old" schtick.

The Godfather, which started the whole post-modern sepia craze, was colorized chemically. You can't blame the entire digital format considering a lot of colorful films were also done digitally.

And Bob Richardson... colorizes digitally.

Well ok then, let's just have all films be in real time then? Because editing doesn't fucking happen in real life either

>top = warm
>bottom = cold

It's set in the south you moron.

The issue is that it's hard to tell if something was the choice of the colorist or if it was at the behest of the DP.

throw me some stills to correct and ill do em. im generous today.

t. colormaster.

>this

Like OP, a lot of colorists are too retarded too understand color theory.

>Well ok then, let's just have all films be in real time then? Because editing doesn't fucking happen in real life either

What in the hell are you even talking about? did you even read the post you're responding to? I was talking about value and color theory, not realism.

m8 the DP just grabs a flat profile from the sensor. the colorist works WITH the DP, so they in conjunction settle on a LUT.

STOP IT

A warm scene and you use blue/gray color schemes. KILL YOURSELF RIGHT NOW.

some DPs are more involved and some DPs are less involved. Like Steve Yedlin has his own custom software he uses to make his digitally-shot movies look filmic.

your blacks are too deep. you lost all detail in the shadow of her hair. Her hat/cheek highlight is also blown out.

> blue/gray color schemes

dude there's literally I think you need to calibrate her monitor or did you miss all the red?

>A warm scene

warm scene shouldnt be green either.

dude, the red is a detail in bottom pic

do you even know what color schemes are?

the main colors in the bottom picture are blue and gray

But I guess you think background doesn't count right?

Fucking clueless.

better green than gray

green evokes visions of fields, together with the orange, it's a pretty warm picture

the bottom is literally a sterile shot you'd see in any tv-show without any artistic merit to it

the human eye doesn't see in piss yellow. the LUT drains color out of the frame rather than casts warmth on it.

>green evokes visions of fields
lmao what the fuck. if you wrote this in a film school dissertation you'd flunk out.

now the color scheme is correct but it is overlit

this is why you guys aren't professionals

t. colorist

>i need my movies to have a piss yellow filter over them otherwise they arent beliveable
are you clinically retarded or just a turbopleb?

>piss yellow

it's literally green ma dude, get better eyesight

>overlit
its perfect. what happens is that youre comparing it with the muddy piece of shit above it, of course itll look super bright. but it isnt.

;^)

forgot about that big tittied whore

What the fuck were they trying to achieve? It looks absolutely terrible.

itt: autismos don't know about color's effect on mood and make everything 'realistic'

look at both sides of her cheeks

if the sun is coming from the right, the left cheek shouldn't be fucking shining

not to mention that it creates a dissonance with the characters OOF POV because it's way darker

this would imply that there is conflict, which isn't what the picture is telling us

either brighten up the back of the head too or think before you actually change something

ugh, fucking plebs

Literally just changing time of day, amount of overcast, or type of indoor lighting.

Nah, it needs to look like strayan outback with that distinctive red soil that gets stuck everywhere and taints everything like rust. Bottom pic just looks like it was filmed in California or Spain.

>now the color scheme is correct but it is overlit
it's no more overlit than the original but I agree. most colorists suck with value too.

Civil War is shot like total dogshit. Colors aside the way things are shot as far as framing goes is completely amateur. I'm surprised more people don't talk about how much it bugs. I saw it in the theater and it was giving me a headache. I don't think I could ever watch that movie again.

And The Godfather looked amazing.

>And Bob Richardson... colorizes digitally

Yeah, because they most studios won't allow him to finish chemically - see Django Unchained.

next.

wow. I'm getting some powerful nostalgic vibes from the bottom one, like its from the Chris Columbus movies.
You could almost say its magic.

okay I made it true neutral with no crushed shadows or blown out highlights.

what do I win?

now this is almost an improvement

this scene now implies a more romantic note, which is probably what the original scene intended

finally someone who gets it

did you know a ton of her nudes leaked?

this shot is way too clattered and unfocused

>m8 the DP just grabs a flat profile from the sensor.

Welcome to wonderful world of modern cinema.

still the wrong color scheme

learn from this dude he's on the right track

Please stop you are never going to improve on the original, because theres literally nothing wrong with the original

Fix your monitor or your eyes.

that's way oversaturated and looks like fucking mad max. i'm trying to neutralize the white balance to bring out lifelike color. it's not an apocalyptic wasteland.

I agree although is pretty good though

right, but its not better

no, link?

She's an "activist" now.

she activates my dick if you get what I'm saying

holy shit imagine a whole movie looking like bottom one. eye cancer m8.

What does "better" mean, more realistic?

They use filters to make it atmospheric. They might be abused in some cases but that doesn't mean they're always bad

Also here you seem to be complaining that the shot looks "lifeless" so I'm not sure how to please you

Not him, but the "wrong" thing with the original is that it looks like it was left in a bucket of cold piss.

>lifelike

STOP

you're not making a documentary

you fucking plebs

if I want realism, i go outside

when I watch a movie, I WANT ART

I want someone who has something to say, something to add

not 'make it more lifelike'

if you solicited with me for a job in this industry, and I asked you what you'd bring to the table, and that was your answer, you'd be dropped so fucking hard you'd never recover

keep your 'lifelike' pictures for your mom's picture book, i'm sure she'll appreciate it

What did they mean by this?

One of my main issues totally beyond the actual color of the scenes in modern movies is that so few DPs on digitally-shot movies seem to pay attention to the values.

I mean this is honestly what they deem passable for a major motion picture these days.

>that autist formatting

you want films to look like greenyellow piss. simple as that. that adds nothing to art except robs it of color, which is actually a tool of art.

Yeah, you're a misogynist.

>Also here you seem to be complaining that the shot looks lifeless

I'm a different dude. I was just noticing your statement about how photographers shoot flat now to give themselves options in the grading suite and that explains why so many, even HUGE movies look like utter shit now.

theres nothing wrong with a bucket of granny's peach tea