/180/: 2018 WILLIAM HILL WORLD DARTS CHAMPIONSHIP DAY 1

The jewel in the crown of professional darts appears on our screens once again with the 2018 PDC World Darts Championship. A fortnight's worth of tantalising tungsten is presented from the iconic Alexandra Palace in north London, with the side attraction being the hordes of smashed punters in various shitty fancy dress costumes they got off eBay for extortionately high prices chanting rubbish and chucking plastic beer glasses at one another.

As is tradition, the reigning champion features on opening night, and Michael van Gerwen kicks off his quest to retain his world title and claim a third in match 3. The tournament begins with two big Willies in the shape of insatiable sex god Steve Beaton and the Republic of Ireland's #1 William O'Connor. The Bronzed Adonis is in good form heading into the tournament, but the Magpie is a dangerous player and it's surprising to think this is his first time at the Worlds.

Two men with big BDO links follow as ex-number 1 James Wilson plays reigning Winmau World Master Kryzysztof Ratajski. The newly monikered "Lethal Biscuit" is the #32 seed, so this is prime opportunity for the near ever-present Euro Tour participant to claim a big upset. Poland's Ratajski fucked off the BDO Worlds to play here, much to the relief of the xenophobes over there.

MVG then starts his Worlds against 2012 Lakeside winner and recently crippled Christian Kist. Even if the Lipstick's arthritis hadn't been playing up, you'd be hard pushed to see him defeat Mighty Mike, who hasn't lost on television since the start of October and appears miles above the rest.

Closing the opening night are a duo with a grand total of zero Ally Pally wins in Welsh rugby roidlet Gerwyn Price and 20-year-old PDPA qualifier winner Ted Evetts. The Iceman has failed in his last three attempts to get past the last 64, and a repeat of SuperTed's PDPA performances could see Price's barren Worlds run continue.

Coverage starts at 7:00pm UK time on Sky Sports Darts (SS Arena).

Other urls found in this thread:

pdc.tv/news/2017/12/13/william-hill-world-darts-championship-preview
pastebin.com/1DM9V54j
pdc.tv/news/2017/12/01/illness-scare-wright
sportsgazette.co.uk/i-have-to-actually-pinch-myself-barry-hearn-on-changing-lives-the-bdo-and-the-role-of-golf-in-darts-meteoric-rise/
pdc.tv/news/2017/12/14/new-seven-year-deal-pdc-sky-sports
skysports.com/darts/news/12288/11167945/world-darts-championship-wayne-mardles-predictions
bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42281255
bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42332921
youtube.com/watch?v=uOmP2mlYvnI
pdc.tv/news/2017/11/27/evetts-dolan-lewis-qualify
gamblersanonymous.org.uk/
theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/dec/14/anti-sports-personality-year-awards-2017
beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03473679/filing-history
twitter.com/BarryHearn/status/938849833833648128
bbcamerica.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_PDC_World_Darts_Championship#Media_coverage
twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/941382539633152000
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Tonight’s matches (best of 5 sets; first to 3 legs in a set)
Steve "PHWOARRRRRRRRRR" Beaton (25) v William "Thieving Bastard" O'Connor
James "Limp Biscuit" Wilson (32) v Krzysztof "BDO Humiliator" Ratajski
MvGOAuTism (1) v Christian "Never been" Kist
Gerwyn "Gurning" Price (16) v Ted "Box Head" Evetts

>World Championship preview
pdc.tv/news/2017/12/13/william-hill-world-darts-championship-preview

>/180/ starter guide (now updated for 2017!)
pastebin.com/1DM9V54j

Once again MVG is the outright favourite with the lads at Billy Hill, being 4/5 to defend the title. Just 9 of the field are under 100/1, including the other 4 World Champions in the draw (Gary Anderson at 6, Phil Taylor at 10, Adrian Lewis and Raymond van Barneveld at 50) with major winners Peter Wright at 8, Daryl Gurney at 40 and Mensur Suljovic also at 50. Such have been the achievements of Rob Cross this year that he is 5th favourite at 14s despite his capitulation against Jonny Clayton at the Players Championship Finals. The widest odds are 5000/1 for nobody qualifiers Alen Ljubic of Croatia and Xiaochen Zong of China.

News from the past few weeks:

>Peter Wright's alleged "vegan diet" goes haywire after contracting gallstones
pdc.tv/news/2017/12/01/illness-scare-wright

>Barry Hearn: I fucked the BDO for rejecting my £1m offer
sportsgazette.co.uk/i-have-to-actually-pinch-myself-barry-hearn-on-changing-lives-the-bdo-and-the-role-of-golf-in-darts-meteoric-rise/

>Sky Sports extend PDC deal to 2025
pdc.tv/news/2017/12/14/new-seven-year-deal-pdc-sky-sports

>Ronny Huybrechts to beat Daryl Gurney? Kim Huybrechts to make the final? Michael Smith to make the semifinals? Apparently so according to Wayne Mardle
skysports.com/darts/news/12288/11167945/world-darts-championship-wayne-mardles-predictions

>Two BBC articles which have Taylor getting embarrassed in the comments
bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42281255 (BBC preview)
bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/42332921 (Pheel feature)

>Lakeside draw, featuring a rather disinterested Andy Fordham
youtube.com/watch?v=uOmP2mlYvnI

Ties of the first round at Bob Potter's dump include Mark McGeeney against Martin Adams and Ross Montgomery against Scott Waites. There was also the hilarious lie in pic related from the BDO Facebook page.

So you know Ted Evetts won the PDPA qualifier on 27th November, but who else got through?

Compared to the absolute shitshow of last year which featured 4 elderly cloggers who had absolutely no chance of making it past round 1, it was a far more youthful and watchable trio of qualifiers this time around: out of the 8 quarter-finalists, just one was over 30 years old.

After Josh Payne lost the World Youth Championship final to Dimitri Van den Bergh, this opened up a third qualification spot. The two joining SuperTed were Northern Ireland's dullard Brendan Dolan and Welsh gawper Jamie Lewis; the finger-twirling bore survived 4 match darts from the Welsh #4 in the semifinal and fought back from 4-2 down to win 5-4. The newly nicknamed "Lights Out" Lewis then defeated hungry York skeleton Chris Quantock 5-3 with the History Maker getting hammered 5-1 by Evetts in the final. It's slightly annoying Dolan is here but let's face it: it's better than watching a pissed Mark Frost job to a humiliating loss again, isn't it.

Full results are available here: pdc.tv/news/2017/11/27/evetts-dolan-lewis-qualify but the big stories were as follows:

>Former major finalists Wes Newton, Andy Hamilton and Mark Walsh will all have to go to Q-School after losing to Aden Kirk, Ryan Murray in the last 128 and Mick McGowan in the last 64
>PCF upsetters Mickey Mansell and Steve Hine as well as utterly disgusting individuals Andrew Gilding and Robbie Green also all lost in the last 64 to Jeffrey de Graaf, Kirk Shepherd, Nathan Aspinall and Evetts
>Paul Nicholson's hopes of following up his Players Championship Finals appearance were dashed after a last 32 exit to Lewis

Finally, it's that time again! 2 1/2 weeks of darts ahead, and it starts with Steve Beaton. What more could you ask for?

was refreshing like mad! its here!

Yes yes yes

COMFY

cheeky fiver on /ourguy/ Zong

is it possible for a taylor mvg final?

Yep.

Would have to get past Gando in the QF though.

Yes, but I have a feeling Phil will choke in the second round vs. Justin Pipe

taylor mvg final to decide who is the true GOAT, nothing would be comfier

What irony if your almost 3 decades long wild ride really would end against the guy whose wild ride never ends.

Ah yiss, comfy Darts before Christmas

>Adonis up first
gonna be a fun night

/casual/ here

How fucked am I?

COMFY
O
M
F
Y

i dont understand american gambling sites

are you betting on him to win the tournament or win his first round?

The whole tournament @ 50/1

It's a risky bet.

Barney doesn't have the best first round tie, and Kyle Anderson could easily do him in Round 2.

Whole thing.

>mfw /180/ World Champs

TYBOP

gamblersanonymous.org.uk/

>tfw watching the snooks but no comfy /147/ thread

>Philth's """"last"""" tournament

The fuck is Mardle smoking in that predictions article? Have they and the bookies conspired to pimp out Dana to him in return for that? That being said that bit of the draw Kim's in is probably the weakest to a semi final spot, but its banking on Clownman to not turn up and Lewis not to either, the latter always seems to play well here. Id give Norris and Whitlock evens against him as well on recent form. And yet he thinks he could be runner up? The mans off his head.

theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/dec/14/anti-sports-personality-year-awards-2017

Have another article with a dig at Taylor. Also, I read that he's sold his shares in the PDC? Is that true?

>cant infer simple things
>"dont understand" american

Needless to say as well that Chinman will smash Ronny. Anyways, predictions

Sex
Wilson
GOAT
SuperTed upset

>Also, I read that he's sold his shares in the PDC? Is that true?
Yep: beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03473679/filing-history

23rd May 2017 was when the PDC bought back Pheel's 1,237 shares.

Uncle Bazza also confirmed that he's given up his Tour Card: twitter.com/BarryHearn/status/938849833833648128

Live preview's on Sky now by the way.

Looks like the darts has finally caught up with the rest of the Sky rebrand.

what was his end game here?

Anything interesting happen in the tournament so far?

ARRRR

ronnie destroying the numptys

need my guy bruguier to shock the world and win it all

Not watched darts all year. Is it just MVGWINSLOL now?

He's unbeaten on TV since October but didn't win every major this year.

BEATON ON SKY SPORTS DARTS NOW

>tfw no /CUBE/ to block MVG's path

Also, who the fuck is Rob across?

Yeah, rip

*cross
That was a fun night

not getting da beetus?

Rob Cross you mean.

Breakthrough star of the year: won a Tour Card through the Challenge Tour in 2016, won 4 Players Championships and was seeded #1 for the Players Championship Finals, made the European Championship final and is odds on to reach the top 16 after less than a year as a professional.

So then fellas

>who will win the title?
>who do you want to win the title (realistically)
>who do you want to win the title regardless?
>who don't you want to win?
>random players you want to do well

Bazza's English MVG clone

MVG
RVB
RVB
Snakeshite
I’m out of steam now

>MVG
>MVG or Gando
>Mensur or BUNT MAN
>Pheel
>Hendo, DVdB, Schindler

here's this years cheat sheet

And the 2018 World Darts Championship starts now.

>who will win the title?
MvG
Gando
Mens or Shitlock.
Gurney. Imagine him on stage with the trophy crying rivers.
Hendo, Steve Lennon, Sexy Steve, and Adrian Lewis, because we need prime Lewis as a counterweight to MvGwinslol

Lads. It's happening.

Yes, I’d like to see Lewis in the final to be honest.

Johnny Part looking very trim.

Good stream?

The BBC America site has it for the Yanks.

>that MVG vs Barney semi

>who will win the title?
MVG
Cross
Cross still but Beaton/Hendo/Pipe/Jeff Smith would all be hilarious.
Pheel
Dobey, Pipe, Wade, Anderson etc., you get where im going here. Someone to knock feel out before the final basically.

MVG
Phil
Mensur
Gurney, Chizza (is he even a threat)
Pipe, any American, Wade, BvdP

Chizzy is as threatening to a major as Terry Jenkins was.

bbcamerica.com/

wew, live with no sign-in. Huge move. Have always thought this sport had the biggest upside out of all of them. Relatable players, game of skill, good atmosphere which is the biggest of them all (realistically, the atmosphere bit is why all of these soccer bandwagoners love ____ til I die, not because they actually enjoy the sport)

espn3 has had the premier league and the Worlds for the last few years, this is the first time in a bit they've not broadcast the WDC

The wikipedia page for the tournament says its delayed? Hope not

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_PDC_World_Darts_Championship#Media_coverage

Is this one austrian guy playing? Darts looks kinda gay btw, I'd rather watch some quality snooker tbqh

>that editing
The Twitter says it's live: twitter.com/BBCAMERICA/status/941382539633152000

Mensur is playing, yes (but not today).

but no one watches ESPN3. Even when I had access to ESPN3 I'd forget about it and use the easier 'illegal' streaming sites anyway and its literally one-click and comes with the british commercials for some extra fun

in that case its a shame, but the streaming is huge. hd on a real platform (not the garbage that is espn3) makes it so much more accessible. at least its better than "eleven sports", which is also on go90 but still more of a pain if you've seen all of the commercials on that channel.

DICKS
OUT

Fuck off then and make a /147/ thread then

Why do you snooker faggots always talk about that gay shit on here?

DICKS OUT, LADS

PHWOAR

Girlfriend just walked in and is now leaving me

Get in lad. 14 days of darts without interruptions.

My body is ready!

Sky gone all out on the graphical revamp.

BORING BORING TABLES

>Studd actually saying "the sexiest man in darts" about Beat
ABSOLUTE
MADMAN

You think they will do this awesome Yaya Kolo chant again? I really enjoy that one.

Every year the same dilemma, watch the tv broadcast with shit Danish commentator or go through the trouble of streaming with equally shit but at least entertaining Brits.

Wonder if this lad's chant will catch on.

Same here. German commentator especially crap today, but TV quality pictures without delay is a strong argument..

>sid waddle

inb4 beaten Beaton

>Paddy darts

>Not going for the bull for 164
>"muh setup"
>miss 6 at doubles
>lose leg
>the city of O'Connor

>winner of this plays Chizzy/Vincent
DOUBLES
DOUBLES NOWHERE

Cruel desu, O'Connor throwing decent darts at dubs, but they're just not going in.

>the city of O'Connor

kek

>adverts
but I already paid obscene amounts for sky...

yfw Taylor loses in round 2

>O'Connor throwing his flights into the crowd after set 1
R A T T L E D

SEETHING

>Irish doubles

Yes

>25