Any of you wanting to be in the film industry?

Any of you wanting to be in the film industry?

How is it going?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5030016
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wrote a script 2 years ago.
It's shit

I wouldn't read it either.

I applied for a job at AMC, I missed it when they called me and left a message on my phone, it's been 10 days, and I've been calling them trying to get a hold of the hiring manager, for the past two days.

Also this, half assed a script and never finished it, in high school, it's garbage, and I'm a pleb.

yes

it isnt

>Finish my associates in film
>Think i shouldn't waste my time going for a bachelors and should just immediately get work
>Able to land a few gigs and internships
>Haven't got anything since then
>See my friends in uni making projects and films all the time
>Starting to feel not going to uni was a mistake
I don't know what to do.

I would love to, but I can also into engineering so I'm doing that.

I still haven't written a script but I have some ideas. Doing photography for now. Is there really a point to try and make it into the film industry in the USA nowadays? Really thinking about leaving the USA lately, and watching kong and seeing it get good reviews really didn't help. I'm in NYC though so for indie it's alright.

Script writing can't be that hard.

I'll write one overnight.

Good luck user, you'll need it

finishing a script and buying cheap equipment to film independently
Anyone knows of decent sites to buy music for film? Like musicvine but with decent stuff

Its really hard. Specially to stick to an idea without hating it halfways

go to uni

m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5030016

>Its really hard. Specially to stick to an idea without hating it halfways

I know this feel, but my shits garbage so it deserves the hate. Being self critical is good. Especially because your shit probably is garbage, don't let it stop you htough. Lots of hacks out there, nobody will notice one more.

Be a film engineer if that exist

but I don't want to starve to death chasing my dreams.

This sort of reminds me to the videos by Film Courage which often have decent advise

>How is it going?
I mean. I'm starting a meme painting business...
So not great

I got into the film industry really easily, I volunteered for 5 weeks and worked my ass off being two peoples assistants and being super helpful. I seemed to be well liked by everyone and made some good contacts.

But moving up seems near impossible, there's enough people with actual experience so no one is going to hire someone who's never had that position before. PA and Runner jobs are fine, and friends in high places mean I've gotten a bunch of those jobs and made even more contacts. But I want to move up in the world.

My plan is to work on shitty uni tv shows where I'll be able to get Director and Assitant Director credits, even though the work will be less responsibility and less intense that the lowest tier jobs on actual film sets.

Once I can afford it, I'd also like to make my own stuff, me and a friend who's a writer have some feasible ideas. But we don't currently have enough disposable income for even the lowest budget projects.

finishing an associates in visual communications focusing on video instead of going directly a film degree, so i can always fall back on commercial work if nothing else pans out.

lucked out with a prof at a tiny college that has contacts and lots of experience as a producer. helps that he's made a few somewhat successful indie films.

will be working on some of his indie projects after i graduate as AD and DP to get some credits to my name, then i'll branch out from there.

I'm a similar situation. Been working in production since 2011 mostly doing industrial shit with some movies and tv. Done pa shit forever, was a grip for a while, ap for a while, ran crafty on a feature and a bunch of art dept shit. Had a revelation or whatever during New Years that I would bow out of being a production schlub for a while, ride some savings and focus entirely on developing and produce/directing a youtube series to learning curve my way to being competent at without the anxiety of fearing fucking up.

And then I decided it should be a meme painting spoof series and now along with getting comfortable writing, shooting, editing, doing vo and being goddamn on camera talent, I also have to learn how to fucking paint.

Lmao didn't anyone ever tell you guys that you have to be a jew or know someone to make it in the movie industry?

to any highschoolers that definitely want to get into production, strongly consider not going to college. You don't learn how productions operate. You use outdated production technology. You spend a bunch of money for mostly shit networking opportunities with semi-retired production washouts.

you generally have to "know someone" to get your foot in the door in any industry dingus.

Cynicism is a social control meme for stupid people.

MOVE TO NYC

You have to just shoot something. Just write a few shorts that you can shoot really cheaply outdoors, in your home, etc.

The kind of work you're doing is a good way to make contacts and get comfortable working on a film set, but you can't "work your way up" to being a director that way. The only way is to shoot something good

I finished a semester for a certificate in film production but I'm probably going to take a grip and electric course because I have no skills then I have an on set internship.

After that I have to join the union which costs $1,600 so I dunno. Hopefully the film industry doesn't die in my state.

>union costs $1600
Fuck whatever you were going to do, get in on the dues collection racket.

Going to be an editor first (got a job doing that), since I am absolutely not working 16 hour to 20 hour days, fuck that.

i gave up

studying for a degree in economics now

Grips make like $350-450 a day. not really that much in the scheme o thangs.

I currently work as a producer, but I also have experience as 1st AD. Each picture I work on is larger than the last, so I'm confident I'm headed in the right direction. I have one short film just finishing its film festival circuit, 2 other short films which are just finishing post and are expected to get into some top tier festivals, and one other short film in pre pro. I also have a pilot episode that will go on Amazon currently in production.

Any questions?

What media markets do work in/where do you live?

>mfw Virginia

What should I do as an 18 high school senior? I want to be a director.

>$350-450 a day
>not really that much

>$350 going by the lowest number, x10 days is $3500, x3 (for 30 days) is $10,500. So $10,500 a month, which is $126,000 a year, using the conservative pay, not even at $450 a day.

>$126,000 a year is really not that much in the scheme o thangs

Do any of you have fall back plans if none of it pans out?

How do i get to that level of success?

Start practicing your dick sucking skills and learning to speak jewish.

Thanks. Sup Forums always delivers.

That's pretty good money when you think about it dude

My goal is to be moderately successful. I don't see how that isn't achievable with hard work, persistence and talent.

Regardless I am going to be working with editing/camera work and releasing my books/screenplays on the side.

No one works 30 days a month though

yeah didnt feel like going into payment intricacies of grip work. I did a season of a show for $250 nonunion days a few years ago. And my point was that a $1600 initial investment for a yearly return of $100,000 isn't bad. Particularly when you're getting relatively good insurance and benefit opportunities and whatever.

yeah I used words wrong. $1600 isn't bad dues when you're making like $1700 or whaever in a week.

That's a tough question. While I agree that film school isn't mandatory, it does give you the opportunity to make contacts and gain technical knowledge. These contacts are both with professors to move forward your career and with students who you can use as crew. Technical knowledge is important, especially as a director, because you need to know how the different departments operate so you can properly guide and instruct them as a director.

Honestly, you might want to consider gaining experience in another department as you work your way up to directing. In this era, it's nearly impossible to start out with such a high position and do only that. With a more marketable position, you can work on more sets, further gaining more connections and getting more experience.

Suicide
Hospitality
Retail

in that order of preference

That all depends on what you want to do. Aside from making film your priority and totally dedicating yourself, you need to figure out what department you like best. As a producer, you need to be good with money, know how to schedule a shoot, know the legal paperwork, have enough contacts so you can properly crew a production, and have good time management.

If you're thinking about school, really look into the program. Many film schools are not cheap and are difficult to get into, but they don't teach enough of the technical aspects. Their focus is on directing, which is great. You'll learn how to evoke certain moods and what different camera angles and lighting schemes mean, but they won't teach you how to actually set up those lights and use the camera. At the end of the day, you'll have these student films which have interesting intentions, but they all look like shit because nobody knows what they're doing.

I heard getting a editor job in terms of making it in the business is the easiest to get into

Is it true?

most money as well

i've always wanted to be a screenwriter. i moved to LA in 2015 and through friends and connections managed to get on set as a PA for a few commercials. i worked my ass off but the work wasn't steady enough, the california UI benefits capped at 6 months and I began to burn through my savings just to stay afloat (and this is even living in the shitty LA "starter kit" which is 5 dudes in a studio living out of bunk beds)

there came a breaking point where i sat down and weighed which was more important to me: financial stability or intellectual fulfillment.

i left california and am now pursuing a career in law enforcement.

LA is an expensive city and even with friends and connections there is no guarantee you'll be successful. i knew people who worked in production houses and ad agencies, but the consensus from everyone i talked to was that unless you're connected to some people with real name recognition, from the moment you set foot in LA to the moment you stop freaking out about how you'll pay the bills is at least two years. a lot of people don't realize how many resources you need just to last there.

i think i made the right choice. i'll still be writing and dreaming in my off time.

also, los angeles is an automotive hellhole.

Probably just find a company and do commercials and training videos

My professor used to be an editor so she said it's easier than most. They're more accepting of younger people and there is really never a shortage of them.

I would like to act, I probably won't have any measurable form of success.

Hh

Getting a job, maybe. But you won't be editing anything exciting for a long time if ever.

I spent a year editing a rural online news show. It was basically mind numbing assembly line work except I was staring at Final Cut all day. Not so much editing as assembling all the parts and following the formula and explicit instructions that never changed. I relished the small bits of creativity I was offered: "insert stock footage of grain harvestors here" I'd try make subtle homages to movie scenes by putting clips of random stock footage together.

I'm glad I did it, since you need to start somewhere. But if it was full-time and I. wasn't doing random passion projects on the side I think it would have burned me out of ever editing proffesional my again.

I'm trying the preproduction route. Concept Design and all that shit, but first I have to learn how to paint, properly

I love movies but I am a very poorfage i never been in a movie theater, all movies i wat ch are on tv and i recently only discovered surround sound thanks to mpv, fuck my life

I became a cinematographer and work in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. and get overpaid because people here are idiots.

Could you paint Rooney Mara playing with LEGO? Pic related as inspo (but doesn't need to be a reproduction).