How is football still legal?

How is football still legal?

>FormerNew York Jetsstar Mark Gastineau, one of the NFL's most feared pass-rushers in the 1980s, said Thursday night he's battling serious brain issues he believes were caused by concussions in football.

>"When my results came back, I had dementia, Alzheimer's and Parkinson," Gastineau said in an interview on WOR radio in New York. "Those are three things that I have."

>Gastineau, 60, said he was diagnosed a year ago and he blames it on poor tackling technique. He called it "disturbing," but he's hoping it serves as a warning to coaches and young players.
espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18514822/former-new-york-jet-mark-gastineau-says-battling-brain-diseases

Other urls found in this thread:

namathneurocenter.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because people watch and love it. Fuck off, redd*t.

Makes money

Because the players know what they're in for and do it anyway. Money talks

>Why does a multi-billion dollar industry keep getting away with shitty practices that should be illegal?
gee what a mystery

Someone who's getting into pro football and is not aware of the risks probably already had brain damage. It's the price you pay.

Hi shareblue!

>everything is don't like is shareblue, the jews, ...
Go back to Sup Forums child

Sup Forums is anti-nfl now

this would be the Sup Forumstard and this is the /leftypol/tard trying to falseflag

it is possible that i have them mixed up, though, honestly i can't keep up with those two any more

when will players and parents take responsability for their actions? if it's bad, which it is, stop playing and sending your kids to play

you don't hear many boxers complaining and blaming others for the brain damage they have, they all knew the consequences of boxing

Football will be completely dead within a decade. Tests are being developed that can detect CTE in a living brain. Once that testing goes clinical and is widely available the sport will die overnight.

Aaron Hernandez's autopsy showed such severe brain trauma that he effectively had the brain function of an 80 year old. He wasn't in the NFL long enough to develop that level of danger, so that means it occurred throughout the years while playing for school.

Once this testing is available, they're going to find CTE in kids and the sport will literally be banned. No school is going to take on that kind of liability.

they've already found CTE in teens that suicided and had played football through school

Yes, and participation in high school football decreased by 60,000 students last year. Once parents can have their kids tested for cte at their yearly physical the whole football system is going to collapse. Lawsuits will be filled and lawmakers will likely get involved.

Joe Namath is here to save football

namathneurocenter.org/

My uncle was around the same age and had dementia and Alzheimers and he never played American Football. These whiny faggots just need to be accountable for their choices.

Prove it

Why just don't train niggers to tackle properly? \

>training niggers
lol

only wave to save football before what this user says happens is to go no padding no helmet

search your heart

no padding no helmet will fix most things and might lead to a decrease in overall mass of players

#yolo

Newfriends need to get the fuck off of my board

>believes were caused by concussions in football

How can he be sure his beliefs aren't an effect of a concussion?

This

> repeatedly banging your head into other players is bad for your head

And in other news, water is wet. Also, correlation =/= causation. Most of us wouldn't be shocked if playing football = much higher CTE risks, but there's a few steps missing before we can be conclusive just yet.

Also, hard to feel bad for players who got to live like kings during their youth and paying the price for it later. (Although that may not be as true for old-school players that were not payed nearly as much as players get now)

I don't watch that much football. Is slamming your head into someone necessary during like a tackle? Couldn't they change the rules to avoid most impacts?

It's not just that. When you get tackled and thrown to the ground your brain is going to rattle your brain around

Why not get rid of the helmets and padding?

>>>/reddit/

>And in other news, water is wet.
>there's a few steps missing before we can be conclusive

you can be patronizing or you can be skeptical, you can't be both.

>>>/shitskin/

Muh brain

The players know the dangers and are well rewarded for it. A life of fame and fortune is their reward for playing this violent game. Not to mention that most of them love doing so and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

JUST DON'T FUCKING PLAY A SPORT THAT INVOLVES CRASHING YOUR HEADS INTO EACH OTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BRAIN DAMAGE. JUST DON'T EXPECT TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS NOT PLAYING FOOTBALL WHEN YOUR ONLY SKILLS ARE PLAYING FOOTBALL