Just marathoned this kino, what did I think?

Just marathoned this kino, what did I think?

good thread op

>good thread op
what did he mean by this?

I marathoned the first 30 minutes and an airplane last night. when does it get better?

>30 mins
pleb, i watched this in 12-minute segments and during the breaks I would post analysis on reddit

You, your buck, your wife and her son enjoyed it and thought it was sci-fi film of the year.

It was Ok

>interesting sci-fi about ayys
>ruined by a stupid contrivance
languages don't confer superpowers

>the madman

Movie was eh. As a linguist, i expected them to stay away from Sapir-Wohrf, because it's almost literally the one big misconception of linguists to stay away from, but nope, had to make it a thematic focal point. Bastards.

Why did she tell Jeremy Renner that the child will develop cancer if she knows it will drive him away and make the kid miserable?

How do you marathon a single movie?

You just watched it

Although it was years later for Renner, she was probably telling him in the future as she was talking to him at the end about knowing your whole life and changing it. Remember his response: "I would probably say what I feel more."

She didn't think it through, it was something she needed to do, even if she knew it would destroy their marriage.

>He doesn't consume his kinos in 30-minute chunks over the span of a week

>I marathoned the first 30 minutes and an airplane
what did he mean by this?

Saw it with my caretaker in cinema when it came out. I thought the plot went full retard in act 3, but enjoyed the beginning when they were still getting to discover stuff about the aliens.

You fucked it up, OP.
It's:
>I just watched this. What am I in for?

you either liked it or unironically thought the question posed was about time travel and not free will

>She didn't think it through, it was something she needed to do, even if she knew it would destroy their marriage.
But she knew it would ruin her kid's childhood. Is Amy Adams a monster?

meant for OP, mein bad

Lots of parents get divorced user, it doesn't ruin anyone. Some kids get a little bitchy.

There was literally no reason for her to tell him that and she knew the consequences would be bad for her and the kid.

She still has free will, but her decisions are divorced from typical causality because she can react to events that have not transpired yet.

>decide to have a child with someone even though you know the child will become very ill and die and there is no way to prevent it
this would be an incredible secret to keep from your spouse, or anyone for that matter. most people are not conditioned to lie about something like that for their whole life.

she had to unburden herself before she could go through with it.

>because she can react to events that have not transpired yet.
nope. she experienced all events simultaneously, meaning she couldn't react to them

>she experienced all events simultaneously
no, that's bullshit, the human mind couldn't processes a lifetime of events at once. she experiences individual moments like a normal person, but she experiences them out of order. so, when she met the general at the party, for her it was their first meeting, and she had no prior recollection of calling him, even though from his frame of reference the call was many years ago. that's why she says "I called you", it's dawning on her she is (probably) about to do something in the past.

>Sapir-Wohrf, because it's almost literally the one big misconception of linguists
would you mind elaborate, pls?

>the human mind couldn't processes a lifetime of events at once
I should rephrase - all of these things happen simultaneously

>she had no prior recollection of calling him, even though from his frame of reference the call was many years ago. that's why she says "I called you", it's dawning on her she is (probably) about to do something in the past
and that's exactly why it wasn't possible for her not to call the general. it had already happened. same with the "choice" she made with her family.

how do you marathon one movie

typical woman

it feels like 10 hours

underrated

read like 50 reviews of it

original Sup Forums film-fan
>appreciates all films, especially when new ones get made that deal with interesting new ideas and concepts
>thought the film's premise was interesting, and stimulating
>understood the film and is capable of discussing it with other people
>is able to take the film's message for what it is

obnoxious redditor, aka nu-Sup Forums:
>it's not his run-of-the-mill marvel movie so he's dissapointed
>lol nothing happens
>when will the aliens kill something?!
>amy adams is too old lol, she's shit
>I didn't get the film even if it made things pretty explicit
>this shit is getting way too boring lol, the third act f*cking sucks!!!
>let me nitpick superficial aspects of the plot because I didn't understand the film's message

Interesting concept, but poorly executed. The idea of what it'd be like to meet some TRULY alien aliens (rather than green-skinned humanoids) is fascinating. However, I think the movie drops the ball in the 3rd act by deciding to make the story specifically about Amy Adams' character. In truth, nobody gives a fuck about Adams' character; she's just a proxy for the audience to learn about the aliens. It was a real let-down to take the focus away from the aliens and make it revolve around her.

Also, the movie is visually bland. I don't get why there are so many people that jerk off Villeneuve for his apparent kino cinematography. The whole movie was physically bland and gray. I'm sure someone will say this was an "artistic" choice, but it just makes the whole thing visually uninteresting. It's like the post-production guys forgot to do any color grading and just kept the values at default.

Also, Renner's character was utterly pointless and the only reason he was in the movie at all was to explain who the father was.

alright, so the Sapir-Wohrf Hypothesis is this idea floating around the linguists community for a while. it has two different states, the weak and strong state.

The Strong Sapir-Wohrf states that the language you speak directly influences how you think, and different concepts you can conceive (i.e "Germans don't have a word for "sorry" so they don't feel sorry. Inuits have 300 words for "snow" so they have a much better understanding of it that anybody else)

So that? Total bullshit. disregarded by most of the linguist community, and any self respecting linguist will tell you it's bullshit.

The Weak Sapir-Wohrf is a little less extreme, stating that your language merely influences the way you think, but doesn't control it.

Still bullshit. More linguists put credence in this that the Strong version, but still highly disregarded by most of us.

So Arrival is the story of a Linguist, which got me really hype at first, because it's not really a field that you can make movies out of, and i was so hopeful about the movie, but it places the Strong Sapir-Wohrf Hypothesis as the basis for the solution of "how do we talk to these aliens?"

By learning the alien language, the main character is able to transcend beyond linear time, because the aliens have vocabulary for it. It just makes me salty, but, I'm glad you asked about it.

>plot twist is that she actually has kids in the future

But she's clearly too old to have kids. Is this some miracle birth where she pops one out at age 45? No wonder the kid got cancer and died.

need dickbutt edit desu

>implying language doesn't influence your cognition
this is such basic shit, i had this figured out before i even saw the movie

a major part of human cognition is done in words; we know language can be so different that translations can vary by translator, and thus there is no universal 1:1 exchange of ideas between even human languages; ergo, language must have some influence on cognition.

I have to disagree with you, and apparently 'most of the linguist community'.

When we think we do so with the tools of language, in this case english. It acts as an operating system for thought as well as speech. We don't think in some abstract construct of our mind.

Yes, it has SOME influence on your preconceived notions.

But "I understand their language, I am now Dr. Manhattan and can see all times at once" is fucking retarded.

i agree this was weird I thought there was gonna be some tool or chemical that upgraded humans but the whole movie was about communication so he language being the "weapon" was pretty unique if not scientifically accurate.

>But "I understand their language, I am now Dr. Manhattan and can see all times at once" is fucking retarded.
yes, that was retarded. it's too bad hollywood has to be so blunt about everything. just when you think they are about to go full kino, they pull some shit out of their ass.

someone with lots of money signed off on this shit. at least the first two acts are kind of interesting.

not all thought is done in a language. some of it is purely emotional; thoughts as states of mind. your very mood can effect your cognition. other thoughts are more abstract, like music.

we are organic computers; but we don't operate like mechanical computers. the OS is more complex. there is more to human cognition than processing discrete code chunks.

exactly how I feel. First two parts are great because you're slowly learning about the aliens and it's fascinating to realize just how complicated simple communication would be with actual aliens who think completely differently at a fundamental level.

Which makes the 3rd act so disappointing. You felt like the story was actually going somewhere, and then it completely ditches everything up to that point and makes it some bullshit pseudo-timetravel shit.

I mean, fucking hell, that one episode of LOST where desmond got unstuck in time the exact same way was infinitely better.

That's exactly what language is: a tool. Just because we have language to communicate ideas in doesn't mean we're restricted to that language's concepts.
If you can name something that a native English speaker can have no concept of, because we don't have the vocabulary for it, I'd be willing to change my mind.

This is probably the only time this OP makes sense.

Personally, I thought it was really good. I usually hate science-fiction but this was not as science-positive as most modern sci-fi. Plus, as a psychologist I really like the whole language-angle and I wish people would take more time to think about it.

>If you can name something that a native English speaker can have no concept of, because we don't have the vocabulary for it, I'd be willing to change my mind.
But that is impossible!

Alien race so much more advanced than humans.
Can’t fucking figure out how the fuck humans communicate.
But this one women can solve how the aliens communicate.

Nice to know there are responsible professionals around here.

I have a question though, from a linguistical point of view, what do you think of Amy Adams tits?

In my honest, professional opinion, 7/10, they aight

not if you know other languages, nigger

>as a psychologist

A big point of the movie is humans working together so they can somehow help the ayylmaos in the future.
That's why there's 12 of them

If they just came to America and threw a message with all the instructions they would accomplish nothing, the government would ofcourse never let out any information about it outside and Louise would not be able to write a single sentence about it publicly.

responses like this are the reason why I still come here. My suspension of disbelief was enough to let me still enjoy the movie but I completely understand where you're coming from.

plebs who think Villeneuve isn't trash ARE nu-tv. And please don't embarrass yourself by saying this 50 million sci-fi made for the capeshit audience is any different than marvel crap, lol.

As highly advanced species, they would take the initiative in achieving their goals
And not wait till one human starts drawing pictures.
Just sayin

nice try, but do it again without using buzzwords, champ

>(i.e "Germans don't have a word for "sorry" so they don't feel sorry. Inuits have 300 words for "snow" so they have a much better understanding of it that anybody else)

That's an exaggeration on your part and you fucking know it.

Also there's more to the way a language influences you and your brain, than just "you don't have x word so you don't have x". That definition is so juvenile I have a hard time believing you finished a notable university.

It's about the vocalization, it's about the structure of sentences in a language i.e. putting the subject of a sentence at the beginning, end or in the middle. It's about the groups of syllables used together. Everyone will tell you that german sounds "harsher" when spoken or that french sounds more melodious or gay. There's a basis for these assumptions, and the way you speak, and the way you are taught to use verbs, can influence you as a person in a lot of small ways.

Before you even get into language teaching you how to see the future, you have to suspend your disbelief for any sort of time travel/seeing being possible. If you do that, it's not that big of a jump to "learning a language unlocks capabilities in your brain". (Again, assuming we live in a world where time-dilatation is possible, though I personally don't believe in that after reading Hawking's essay, according to which time cannot ever travel back, only forwards.)

Learning to speak backwards has been linked with improved mathematical skills, and bilingual children have been consistently proven to have better neurological development and learning capabilities than children who grow up with a single language, so what I'm saying is they're playing an existing concept to the extreme. Nothing new for Sci Fi movies, so getting angry about these sort of things is childish.

Is it explained in the movie whether she can actually change the future or not now that she knows about it?

This is like a re hashed interview with a linguist that was taken after the movie came out. Trying to re word it to make it sound like youre a linguist. Sad

You got a bit confused and sad. You didn't have much 'fun' but you think it is a solid movie.

praise the digits speak

Well she had the kid knowing that she'd get some disease and die of it at a very young so yes the character was a monster.

My dude, it's Sup Forums, i was going with the most basic explanation possible for it. if i had launched into an in depth explanation, I'd just get met with "no u"'s and people taking my words and twisting them around.
But if you want to be so right, then here's your fucking (you). you got me, I'm a fucking sham.

There was a shitload of cliche dialog and scenes in this movie and Amy Adams did nothing but huff and grunt while looking scared while Jeremy Renner's character got no development at all. I was enjoying the movie for the first hour, it did a good job of building suspense with the ayy lmaos, but then Amy Adams starts having magic psychic visions because she learned the ayy lmao language. That was dumb. The ayy lmaos building tension about a "weapon" which was actually the "gift" to humans of their magic psychic powers was a dumb cop-out. The white knight Ameriburgers being the paragons of peace while the Chinese and Russians being the harbingers of war was dumb. Also it's never really explained how they translate the ayy lmao language, a few scenes pass and suddenly Amy Adams is partially fluent in it. Overall it's a dumb pop-science movie like The Martian except that movie was done better. 5/10.

I feel like Arrival would have been much better if they weren't afraid to bore their audience with some real ayy lmao language theory, if it didn't have any of that psychic vision crap, and if the ending wasn't about Amy Adams saving the world from the evil Chinks with her psychic visions.

ok, linguist...

Is Atlantis: The Lost Empire best movie about a linguist?