Is this the end for Malick?

Is this the end for Malick?

Other urls found in this thread:

thefilmstage.com/news/watch-terrence-malick-discuss-song-to-song-with-michael-fassbender-and-richard-linklater/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

His movies haven't gotten great reviews for a long time, discounting Tree of Life.

>His movies haven't gotten great reviews for a long time

I'm surprised he's still allowed to make movies seeing as how they make 0 money.

It's a meme to hate Malick, once he dies the same clowns hating on him and giving him bad reviews will be sucking his dick and saying he should have won an oscar

>it's a white, good looking, wealthy artists have difficult lives flick

Yeah, no. This is like Last La Land 2.0. I have a hard time caring about the characters and their conflicts when they problems are so insignificant

how does he get funding for movies that never get good ratings and never make a profit?

Not gonna lie, former Malick fan here. This is fucking hilarious watching Terry crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let this guy make any more films.

These (((reviewers))) are the same people who give low ratings to stuff that doesnt align with their gender political views and who give high ratings to Get Out and Guardians of Reddit. Caring about reviewers is pointless, it will only make you angry.

I wonder what percentage of these reviewers have even seen stuff like Kurosawa's more obscure movies, Satantango, a significant percentage of Bergman's catalogue or even seen a single silent movie. I bet a lot of them havent even seen Citizen Kane.

>I wonder what percentage of these reviewers have even seen stuff like Kurosawa's more obscure movies, Satantango, a significant percentage of Bergman's catalogue or even seen a single silent movie. I bet a lot of them havent even seen Citizen Kane.

desu most regular film goers haven't either, so they have the appropriate amount of knowledge to write for pleb audiences.

I wonder this about a few directors. like Jim Jarmusch - has that guy ever had a significant box office return on anything other than Stranger Than Paradise?

i will never stop loving this pasta

He was always trash after the thin red line

Looks like kino lad

>watching the trailer
>gosling gets to stick Maras feet into his mouth

He's getting PAID for this shit
It's NOT FAIR!!!!

>Yeah, no.

kys, faggot.

Looking forward to this joint.
I enjoyed Knight of Cups but it did drag. Plus 90% of the dialog was in voice over.

I don't like Malick much. But even plebs are right about him. Malick's movies have some amazing moments. There's like 20-30 total great stuff in his films. You really feel like it's art, like he captured something completely. (Probably in this movie too for 10mis) But the rest of the movie is a mess.

I still feel like he could get over himself and make more interesting, more obscure stuff with real scenes almost. Doubt he will though

some cutting edge criticism

really set my pastrami alight in the hours of my waiting slamming doors and shouts across the hall until coca cola murders children and zack braff penetrates my asshole with a cock supreme sugar and headphones i got coffee on my fingers please forgive me dad

Ryan Gosling confirmed to browse Sup Forums

Ingy did make a fucking million films, in fairness

>I wonder what percentage of these reviewers have even seen stuff like Kurosawa's more obscure movies, Satantango, a significant percentage of Bergman's catalogue or even seen a single silent movie. I bet a lot of them havent even seen Citizen Kane.

Damn bro you sound like quite the film buff

>Malick makes films utilizing a unique montage style with unusual cinematography to create almost transcendental experiences which the average movie goer or anyone who is not going to specifically watch such a movie will not appreciate.
>Site that collects reviews from critics who judge movies as entertainment, not as art, rightly rate it as not enjoyable
Gee I wonder how this happened

I am actually glad this happens so normies, or better the people who don't want/ are not prepared to watch Malick, won't go see it and come out bashing it.

I just don't know how Terry keeps getting his films produced. And it's not like they are indie/cheap productions. He always has big names of the industry in his films. I am glad he does, but I don't get it...

Only good thing to ever come out of Sup Forums

They were all made and funded in the wake of ToL's huge critical success. I suspect his well is pretty fucking dry now considering they've all finally been released and bombed.

He was actually sued by some producers for taking so long to release Voyage of Time, and for how it wasn't the kind of film they paid for

that camera movement and wacky storytelling shtick was great for tree of life but not for his other films, it's just boring if he makes always the same shit

a happy couple walking in the beach, esoteric V/O, throwing themselves on the couch and playing and laughing for an hour, in every single one of his films, fuck you, it adds absolutely nothing

He isn't working with Lubezki for his next film correct? Maybe that will be a breath of fresh air.

indeed. he recently said he had to return to financiers for Song to Song several times for more funding. however, Song to Song does seem like it might make some money. not a lot but enough to recoup finances. he also finished shooting another film last month, Radegund, which according to producers, is a more traditionally scripted drama.

i wonder how many of those film reviewers actually know what Eisenstein's montage theories are.

He said his next one is working from a finished script too, but we'll see what that actually means

Also, how fucking weird is it to hear and see Malick talk?
thefilmstage.com/news/watch-terrence-malick-discuss-song-to-song-with-michael-fassbender-and-richard-linklater/

no, he isn't. it's mostly a German production. not sure who the cinematographer is, though.

i think the cinematography is fine though, the problem for me is the way he unnecessarily repeats himself, it feels like he's forcing it just to have a differentiable style, like he wants to be a recognizable "auteur", which he already was without the need of that shitty style he's putting in all of his films

>unnecessarily repeats himself
i think cycles are part of the narrative dynamic in his recent films so I don't think they're unnecessary at all.

>he's forcing it
you mean he's experimenting with style? not a negative quality, per se.

>he wants to be a recognizable "auteur"
that's just a silly criticism.

>shitty style
ah, that's the crux of your argument. you don't like his new films and are fishing for reasons why. it's okay not to like his films, to each their own, but your criticism is very sophomoric, mate. maybe his films simply aren't for you?

>you mean he's experimenting with style? not a negative quality, per se.
he repeats the same camera dance and boring V/O, he's no longer experimenting

>ah, that's the crux of your argument. you don't like his new films and are fishing for reasons why. it's okay not to like his films, to each their own, but your criticism is very sophomoric, mate. maybe his films simply aren't for you?
yeah, they're not shit, they're just dull imo

but i love Malick, to be more precise, i'm talking about Tree of Life (for which i think that kind of style really fitted with the story and the themes and all the dreamy metaphysical sequences), To the Wonder, Kinght of Cups (when thinking about these two movies i sometimes can't tell which one is which) and for what i've seen, Song to Song, and they're obviously not bad films but the style has to fit the story

>he repeats the same camera dance and boring V/O, he's no longer experimenting
experimenting does not mean trying a new style of filmmaking with every effort. it's more in tune with how all the technical pieces flow into the narrative. it's a continued experiment.

>they're just dull
plenty of viewers disagree with that sentiment. it's an opinion, which i'll respect. these latest bio-influenced films aren't for everybody.

is it possible you cannot appreciate a narrative in which you have no emotional investment? the only thing i find similar in To the Wonder and Knight of Cups is the cinematography. The voice overs are vastly different. however, i do think Malick's latest style worked a lot better with Knight than Wonder.

anyways, Malick recently spoke and said he's taken this style as far as he can. seems his next feature will be slightly more traditional, if only in its process and not final product.

i'm out. nice chatting with ya.

hopefully, he's an overrated hack and most of his flicks are style over substance

anyone who criticizes Malick's films after Days of Heaven as style over substance has not fully developed a critical eye. it's okay. some people dislike uni and foie gras due to underdeveloped palates.