Chink here

I think I will never understand Common Core..

>20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )
>The old way 1
>Common Core 16
>Both answers are equally correct ?

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes.
Because Americans can't into basic math operations.

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

>20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )
>Brackets (2 * 2) = 4
>Division 20 / 5 = 4
>Multiplication 4 * 4 = 16

My answer is 16. I check it with wolfram alpha now and it says the answer is: wolframalpha.com/input/?i=20 / 5 ( 2 * 2 )

= 16.

the equation is vague with pemdas.

It's an equation that starts arguments.

Apparently it takes away the advantage children with education have over those ghetto retard school children as parents don't understand this shit as they've been taught the old method.

It is supposed to make more abstract math subjects, high school and college level, easier due to the same thought process being used; seems like a bunch of gibberish to me though as the answers seem to be some 1984 newspeak bullshit.

>sends man to moon
>americans cant into math

kys, adbul

Goddamn, it's shit like this that makes me want to homeschool my future kids. The only problem with that is that homeschoolers usually turn out as spergs

How do you get one? I'm 31 and got 16 using "the old way"

That is 16, anyone who says otherwise it retarded.

by the way the "old way" (which is wrong objectively) is right > left

got 16 using BIDMAS
brackets, indicies, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction.

No operator between values = multiplication

There is no vagueness

>stolen German scientists send American cuck to the moon
>WE WUZ ASTRONAUTS N SHIEEET

>Divide 20 with 5
>Then multiple it with the product of (2*2)

Literally nothing wrong with that.

You did it wrong, the division shouldn't be separated, 20 / 5 * 4 should be one step

Plebian math

>1 = 16
>American education

Is it true that with PEMDAS, multiplication and division is to be done left to right, but before exponents?

Like in the equation 4/8(4-2), I would solve (4-2), then divide 4 by 8, and then multiply by the (2)?

BEMDAS you dumb Americunt

Yes it needs to be separated for very long equations. Obviously you can do it by a glance, but separating it with BEDMAS is necessary.

Has to be shopped. How does one get 1

My head

ITS A VERY OLD PHOTOSHOP

WHY ARE ANTI COMMON CORE NUTS THE BIGGEST RETARDS

They multiply the parenthesis through because it's in parenthesis.

Not sure what garbage they teach in Ireland, but Parentheses starts with a p

The question was made by some autist buerorat who didn't differentiate between 20/(5*2*2) & (20/5)*(2*2)

>cuck germany of said scientists

i actually knew about this. I live around 4 hours away from where they send the rocketman, i forget his name and shit..

yeah thanks again, buddy. guess you really finished last lol 100%

This is why some pollock invented postfix.

I think saying the old way yields 1 should be the main takeaway. It's objectively false and seems like propaganda. I was educated in math at Catholic schools long before Common Core was even a thing and everyone I know would come to the same answer: 16.

It's shilling for Common Core.

It's LITERALLY designed to teach people wrong so their education matches blacks. Pic related, it's one of the main designers.

Wait till they learn algebra. I think we will have some groundbreaking discoveries here, such as 1=0.

I think you mean German-American Scientists, Hans.

Surely, you're joking or a nigger.

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
20/20

PEMDAS sounds nicer desu

What's really retarded about this example is that the parenthesis is wholly unneeded.

Where'd the 5 go? 20/5 is 20?

I was taught PEMDAS:
Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

it's PEMDAS you stupid fucking britbong, no wonder you can't fix your teeth.

Are you dense? 5(4) = 5*4 = 20

Parentheses denote multiplication.

>* before /
Hippies. It's bedmas and math is fucked

In 20/5(4), you first divide and then multiply. You are reading it as 20/(5(4)).

20/5(2*2). Even if there were a proper space before the first bracket or like here when there is not. You still take it the fuck out. But you just killed the entire rest of equation or ignored shit

Blacks
Mexicans
Destroy
Education
Systems

I just explained Common Core to you.

>main designers
you mean (((designers)))?

People ITT:
> Idiots who don't know the "old" way (PEMDAS or close equiv)
> Trolls pretending not to know the "old" way

These people still measure in the following ways: "How many huckleberries are in a yard"?

Never before exponents, and it's my understanding that if you only have division and multiplication the order doesn't matter.

old way:
20/(5*(2*2)) = 1
common core:
(20/5)*(2*2) = 16

This is what they do. I have no idea why though.

The numbers before the exponent are attached to the exponent but not in the way you retards think or troll. Exponents first niggers. Not mere division

This image is a fake. The original was a science bit (about the weather, I believe) and you can still see a bit of the original on the bit of the projection that is on the wall instead.

Common Core is still shit though, as an elementary school teacher I fucking hate it.

Mathematical ambiguity is easly solved by judicious use of parentheses. The problem on display is poorly formed and exists solely to see if you're using the OoP correctly even though mathematically speaking, division and multiplication are the same thing.

Y'all motherfuckers need to learn you some rpn

20 5 / 2 * 2 *

Fuck off

What the fuck is this?

>Left to right
>Right to left

If you're not mathematically illiterate, you know it doesn't matter which direction you go but Everytime we have this thread there are hundreds of posts that give this same incorrect justification.

Division and multiplication are equal operations, neither gets precedence and which operation is where is irrelevant.

In the op's sentence, you treat the 20/5 as as multiplication by a fraction yielding 20*(1/5)*(2*2). In this way, it doesn't matter if your next step is 4* (4) or 20*(4/5) the answer will always be 16.

Also sage since this thread has been posted a million times and always hits the bump limit.

>both are equally correct
Wtf is this, mathematical pluralism?

Due to operation paperclip they were wiped of their nazi ancestry and given american identities. So they're american.

No matter how much you fight against it
>A fucking leaf
is not going to change my mind

re write the problem as pic related.

This.

thisd is retarded, because in the first operation you are dividing 20 by 5*2*2 and in the second you are multiplying 20 by (2*2) then you divide by 5...

fucking hell how is this hard?? been a game dev for 8 years now, the brackets are really important when you write math euations

Sup Forums didn't go to high school

my fellow americans. do this for me, get a pad and pencil, and write a twenty over a line, then put a 5(2*2) under the line. i think this should explain how one might get one. i'll draw it out if anyone needs me to.

If you were an instrument in a vehicle determining speed conversion or distances travelled for the odometre I would get in 600 km where you got in 600 nanometres. A fucking Hawaiin pizza

They treat everything to the right of the division sign as though it was the denominator of a fraction, but it shouldn't be treated as such here because it's written left to right. If they wanted it to be treated that way, they would've enclosed 5 ( 2 * 2 ) in brackets like:

20 / [ 5 ( 2 * 2 ) ]

>>The old way 1
How in what retarded old way it could be 1?

I don't know..
maybe mathematical equality?

Because of the order of operations, the correct answer is 16. After solving for the brackets, you go from left to right.

Just fucking do the fucking exponents first pythagoras and give us all handjobs or shut up

>doing division before multiplication

No wonder your country is such shit, Australia

The slash needs a set of parenthesis to encompass everything in front of it.

this is how one would get one. 5(2*2) = 20. 20 OVER 20 = 1.

Why not teach set theory and basic proof writing instead of retarded computation?

Division & Multiplication should be on the same line. Likewise for Addition & Subtraction.

Like this?

BED!
MAS!!!!!!!!!!
No wonder you niggers landed in a movie studio and called it the moon

20/5(2*2) = 20 * 1/5(4)
= 20 * 1/20
= 1

This much denial.

Are Americans really that stupid? Here's a hint you can short the equasion to 4 / 1×(2×2)

20 / (2*2*5)

Dick head. I got the answer correct with Aus method.

laughing my arse off

This is correct.

If you turn it around it's 911!

I guess it comes out to 20 divided by 5(2*2), which would be 5*4, which would be 20, so 20/20.

You all suck. You think calculators are like Shakespeare

>All this mental gymnastics

So, if an illegal immigrant gives birth to a child on US soil, the child is then American?

PEMDAS you fucking shitposter, PEMDAS

That's not what's written there. It's not 20/(5*2*2) but 20/5*(2*2)

This user is right and I'm pissed that I had to learn that division a shit and multiplying by the inverse is superior in an engineering course instead of grade school.

Fuck off with your "period mass"

BEDMAS YOU STUPID FUCKING NIGGER

>not know how to BEMDAS after the age of 10

helium my dudes

>multiplying pi by an inverse
Good luck

1589102 old way = 1589102

1589102 common core = 9012851

both answers are equally correct

I never learned any stupid rule like pemdas yet you americans keep getting the simplest of equadions wrong. Why is that what the hell do thex teach you in math

Too many retards herw. Chink here too, both are correct because it is "subjective" / or it doesn't have real value and only has a value if we assign a value to it. Common core is bad because it destroys common sense (which isn't common) but is good because children now can learn that it is relative (mathematics, but it destrous math too)

Bed. Mas. Not bemdas

It's even worse because the scientists were born AND raised in Germany.

If you wanna get 16 you're supposed to write it like : (20/5)(2*2)

What is this