Would you consider Spielberg an all- time great?

Personally I wouldn't, too basic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RfUkwCvXHEo
youtube.com/watch?v=n6X2q7oPZTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6qZeS16BByk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dumb mazouzposter

I guess I would, he is widely known?

Of course. I've never understood why cash-grabbing directors get their abilities discounted, especially by the same people willing to overlook literal propaganda because of muh technique.

If you think directors like Spielberg and Bay are total shit, ask yourself why cash-grabbing pictures directed by other guys are unwatchable trash. There's real ability at work.

Spielberg is sensationalist garbage.

Bay is alright.

Rewatch Spielberg. He'd rather be a billionaire than try to be an "Artist", and elites would never accept anyone with his sensibilities anyway, so he does what he does. Movies like Jaws and Jurassic Park have iconic moments, and even Crystal Skull is more memorable than Jurassic World.

I havent seen all of his movies, but I do know that he's one of the biggest forces behind innovation in hollywood technology and has been for 30+ years, so I would consider him a great

Spielberg is just great at all kinds of stuff. Look at these two scenes and compare the blocking.

youtube.com/watch?v=RfUkwCvXHEo

Scene one from Raiders. It's just exposition stuff, but look at how the characters move, and what you see onscreen. Imagine choreographing all of this with the people and the guys operating the camera, getting it all set up to look like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=n6X2q7oPZTQ

Scene two, Jurassic World. Same basic kind of scene, but look at the blocking. That weird walk that Wu does after he hears about thermal technology? Okay, he needs to move over there to set up the next shot, because that's how you storyboarded the different shots, but fuck that's awkward.

That kind of stuff is what separates Spielberg from the rest.

why is no one talking about saving private ryan? that was spielberg's last great film. it's mostly perfect.

David Mazouz can't act and he pronounce his name stupid. Stop posting him, please.

Jurassic World is more enjoyable than Jurassic Park.

He kind of went to shit after Jurassic Park.

He is notable in that he has made decent movies in just about every genre, but only one or two stand out as being truly excellent. He is a jack of all trades and a master of none. And your boyfu sucks.

Jurassic World is definitely a lot tighter. I've got a soft spot for Jurassic Park because I watched like a billion times after seeing it in the theaters as a kid, but it makes it impossible to really look at it fresh since I basically have it memorized.

The structure is pretty unique for JP. A modern movie would never get away with that much talking and that long before dinosaur action.

That being said, Jurassic World isn't as tightly made. There are lots of examples of stuff in JW that is just bad movie-making, such as the example in: of youtube.com/watch?v=n6X2q7oPZTQ

You can see what they wanted, with the characters in different places for different shots, but the way they got them from A to B isn't very good at all. They needed Wu to cross over to set up the next shot and get him in place for a dramatic turn, but it's unnatural and almost silly. Spielberg doesn't make mistakes like that.

I must be retarded because I don't see a huge problem with the scene.
Yes, the walk over was awkward and unnecessary, maybe a bit too much cutting.

Jurassic World isn't a great movie, there was a lot of problems, like product placement and some of the writing. But I had a lot of fun with Jurassic World, like TMNT 2014.
Jurassic Park is a good film, though I thought the middle was boring.
I know on an objective/technical level JP is better, but I prefer JW.

Directed
>Jaws
>Close Encounters
>Raiders
>ET
>Color Purple
>Jurassic Park
>Schindler's List
>Empire of the Sun
>Saving Private Ryan
>Catch Me If You Can
>Munich
>Lincoln
>Bridge of Spies

If you don't consider him an all-time great, you are a contrarian with brain damage

That's totally valid. When I say JW is more modern, I don't mean it to be a bad thing. Ever since Save the Cat came out, movies generally follow a really tight formula, which in some cases is bad and in others is good. Following a formula is like following a recipe; it exists because it's a good way to make movies.

I don't mean that Jurassic World is formulaic in the sense of contrived, just that it hits beats and has pacing in line with the formula, the same way that Star Trek Into Darkness and Spectre do.

The only "problem" I have with Jurassic World is that a lot of the scenes aren't executed that well, in my opinion. The set-up for the shots between Wu's weird walk are fine, and there's nothing really wrong with it. There are a million different ways to film a scene; what they did there just seems awkward. If you're not a weirdo, you're not ever supposed to notice blocking. In the Indiana Jones example, a person standing in the room would wonder why on Earth people are standing and moving like that, but it's absolutely seamless on screen and sets up cool shot after shot without drawing attention to itself. In JW, the blocking in that scene just isn't done well. A better director would have either gotten different shots, different performances, or found another way.

I'm picking out scenes like those because they're simple; it's just people in the room. But the way someone films people talking in a room to try and make it exciting / interesting shows what they can really do. It's easier to do big flashy stuff than draw people in when it's just a conversation. In that, Spielberg is tops.

For more great camera stuff, look at: youtube.com/watch?v=6qZeS16BByk

A bunch of people screwing around with a walkie and a car, and he hits shots and gives it a kind of seamless intimacy. One of the best things M Night filmed, a lesser director could never pull it off.

God she look fucking awful. Couldn't watch the third Transformers because of her.

That's an interesting opinion, even though I don't find her particularly attractive either.
What women do you think are hot? Oh shit, I didn't even realize that was you, Iceman.
I haven't seen you in years.

But yeah, all I really mean is that much of what makes the movies are things like the actual dinosaurs, and big scenes with action, and characters, and performances. What's really hard for a director isn't the sweeping big stuff you remember; it's the scenes like the ones I linked. You look at the script, and some guys come in, and they talk about stuff, and it's all necessary, but how do you film people just talking in a room?

That scene in Raiders is a masterpiece. Even Indy's hand coming down so he can bump it down to help cut to him and Brody. Even just where the guys sit down, and how Brody lingers back to be framed in Indy's shot. It's a really thoughtful choreography, and it absolutely works. The scene which is really just dudes talking is exciting, and everything Spielberg does is set up so that you don't notice it at all.

With JW, the scene's a flop. It gets the job done - the guys talk and say what needs to be said - but the walk is awkward and a whole lot of it is the TV-style conversation, where it cuts between the over-the-shoulder individual shots. Its worst sin is that the walk is weird and conspicuous. It's obviously intended to set up the next storyboarded frame and give him an excuse for the dramatic turn, but it's a thoughtless way to get from A to B and the giveaway for a director who just isn't as good as someone like Spielberg.

spielberg is trash

no one even watches jaws any more. it's completely unwatchable. he basically ripped off the birds but had no idea what he was doing. dog shit.

he is an all time great regardless of your opinion. objectively the most influential director in the era of sound. his films are technical marvels, even when they suck (close encounters, war of the worlds).

I don't see what's so special about that Signs clip, but I probably just don't understand blocking at all.

And the Raiders scene is definitely dynamic, but I don't find it all that interesting.

so he was the forebear of cash grab dishonest american cinema? great, linklater, pta, tarantino, and cuaron owe him a debt of gratitude.

hes great even when hes jewing
jew fucking shit

>black guy makes a cheap thing

>progressive white folks trip over themselves in guilt to hand reparations to his ass until he moves into the rich neighborhood.

No, I'm not.

Don't compare Bay to Spielberg please, Bay is a fucking god. Spielberg was "good" 20 years ago

I like Jaws and Jurassic Park, but Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan are Jewish propaganda of the highest order and pretty much everything else he did was plebeian

Bay is a great director, but he's got limitations. His aesthetic is really commercial (as in tv commercials), which gets him some really pure visual storytelling. You can watch Pain and Gain with the sound turned off and not miss a thing; everything from characterizations to plot is shown. It's like in a commercial when they have thirty seconds to establish characters, get conflict and resolution. Other directors have to fuck around and rely on the script to convey stuff, but Bay can blast it right to the audience through talent and skill.

It's hard to really judge Bay. His work is masterful, and he's great at what he does, but he has limited ambitions with the kind of stuff he takes on, so how can you know what he's capable of?

strangerthingsfrog is offensive to my eyeballs, stop posting him

I loathe his influence on filmmaking. Even the supremely pretentious Godard is more agreeable than Spielman.

Absolutely not you imbecile.

>His work is masterful, and he's great at what he does

"no"

your words seem to be correct but your opinion was invalidated the moment you saved that image to your computer.

>having no stimulus response to giant nearby explosions

bump

good job mods good job redditors that replied

bump

From first hand experience. He's a pedophile and a piece of shit.

No I wouldn't, Dawson.

Bay or Spielberg?

that's a good pic of him.

don't fight. you're all handsome.