As someone who's never read Ghost in the Shell or watched it, where do I start?

As someone who's never read Ghost in the Shell or watched it, where do I start?

Don't even bother just go watch the awesome ScarJo version

I'm honestly interested but I'd like the original material as a reference point

Watch the 1995 movie

The beginning

Are you good with anime? If yeah then go for Stand Alone Complex. 2nd Gig is enjoyable too but moves from a hacker-political drama to more of a geo-political drama.

If you just want the basic themes and dont mind a slower paced experience go get the 1995 movie.

The mangas are trash, GitS 2 Innocence is too abstract for its own good. Solid state society (SAC movie after 2nd gig) is very meh.

The Tachikoma's will always be annoying in anything they are in. You just gotta deal with it.

For all of it the dubs are better than the subs

Stand Alone Complex, if you have the time.

Put it back down, and read some Philip K. Dick instead.

>where do I start?
You don't, it's dogshit like most anime.

With their first album, like you would any artist
With the Greeks

>dubs better than subs
Opinion discarded

How about "Ghost in the Shell" the animated movie? Hows that for a good start.

Only the standalone episodes though.

The laughing man is fucking garbage. Holy shit how do people enjoy that fucking filler. Blah blah blah.

The first movie is great
Stand Alone Complex is great
Innocence is batshit insane
Never saw arise or read the manga

Where should I go after watching the first film? It felt really anti climactic

Watch the second film. Jesus Christ.

>the awesome ScarJo version
pathetic

>opine, bitch.
For intaking proper context easily, yes, dubs over subs. This isn't the 90's anymore. GITS subs are fine across the board.

Some version of dubs are fucking horeshit, so always try to get as close to official source as possible if you think you'll lean that way. The GITS franchise on the whole usually has above-average production values, so needing to worry about a bad dub is pointless.

Having subbed with jp va's only if you're interested in trying to learn japanese along the way.

Watch the Mamoru Oshii movies, read the Masamune Shirow manga, discard everything else.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is a weaboo

then watch the fucking original materia

>shitposting loudly.gif

Stand Alone complex season 1 and 2 are easy enough to get into and absorb on the basic subject matter.

The first movie is more deliberately heavy and expects you to understand after you hit-the-ground-running with almost no warning.

the second movie (innocence) is pretty much a different ballgame that swan-dives off of the first film for completely nebulous territory, so it's a mixed bag for everybody and slightly pretentious.

SSS is pretty much the SAC-universe version of the first movie and the plot/story throws a curveball at the end out-of-nowhere that is almost a cheat unless you've seen enough of SAC to understand the context of the climax.

Well there's a dozen movie and dozens of books and spinoffs you absolute mongloid