Why are Americans so obsessed with race and their heritage...

Why are Americans so obsessed with race and their heritage? Every time I hear an American say he is part German part Swedish or Scott I can't help but cringe.

Having european heritage makes them take eachother more seriously, because who the fuck would want to have an all american fucking heritage.

It's a comping mechanism.

I really don't care

Well you made an entire thread about it. Which means that you do care a little..

Yeah it’s true, even here. My parents are both German and came to Canada in the early 70’s and we still celebrate German culture and traditions here, there’s quite a few Germans here (rural/farm area with a few small towns.) but it’s like when I went to Germany when I was 10 I felt so out of place, obviously the other German kids there didn’t even look at me as a German but just a Canadian. I could barley speak German and hell we didn’t even dress like them. Kind of weird desu

I care about facts and realistic theories, not Finnish memes

I don't mind people celebrating their culture. I don't believe people should ever forget where they came from. That is... if you have a single ethnicity.

But most people from the New World are so severely mixed that you cannot tell anymore to which (sub)race they genetically belong.

You really cannot have any "scientific realistic facts" of a phenomenon that hasn't even been recognized as such.

My theory is based on psychology and is most likely correct. Why else would they feel the need to yell from the rooftops that "hey guise! I have an european heritage!" when at the same time they fucking pre their panties over european food products and such.

>Why else would they feel the need to yell from the rooftops that "hey guise! I have an european heritage!"

idk, maybe because they are retarded?

Or maybe it just makes them feel like royalty because the all american way is fucking plastic containers and cheeze whiz.

Memes aside, I think Americans do it because they are insecure about it. They think that if they forget about their ancestry that everything they stand for will collapse, same reason they state your race on identification there, it's not for practical reasons but purely out of insecurity and retardation.

>race
You're dumb if you have to ask this. Go read a book

>heritage
It's just part of being an immigrant society. It's mostly harmless small-talk. Another dumb thing to ask. All you had to do was think about it for a few seconds, you dumbass

Nah it's just because it's fun to talk about

The racial identification stuff is for demographics so that the government can understand whether or not people are being treated equally under the law or are being discriminated against. If you want a country where the government pretends that such things don't exist, France is a shining example of harmony

Your conclusion right now is literally the very first thing that I said.

why are yuros so obssessed with americans?

You Americans are retarded.

All white people in the US dress the same, like the same things and have the same habits. Same goes for blacks, the reason most blacks in the US dress the same is because they are fucking black and obsessed by being black like their fellow blacks.

On your ID it even says race 'Caucasian' etc.

America is the land of stereotypes. The rap listening, dope slanging, chicken eating nigger didn't originate in Europe. It originated in America.

It sounds pathetic when you hear them claim a 1/4 french, 1/4 Welsh and 1/2 English heritage for example. Ridiculous mongrels.

Let's be honest, despite the fact that the majority of your population is retarded, the US still is leading when it comes to world politics, culture, trends.

We are just annoyed because some of that retardation infects us sometimes.

you like our blue jeans dontcha boi

>politics
>culture
>trends

Out of the 3 things you listed in here, you somehow managed to get 3 of the most insignificant, superficial, useless and fucking most AMERICAN things of all. Of which at least one of them isn't even true, meaning culture.

But basically your argument is useless, your reasoning is retarded and the example you gave is something that I would really expect form a mouth of an american.

Holy shit buddy are you really this dumb? I heard Dutch people had a reputation amongst their neighbors for being unpleasant morons but it's really something to witness first-hand

We are indeed influenced by American culture as in pop-culture. Even you are influenced whether you want to admit it or not. Modern consumerism is an american thing, as a matter of fact my cities municipality was talking about implementing something similar to black friday, this would influence me and those around me, consumerism is retarded.

American politics insignificant? Mind you because of their foreign policy gasoline prices have risen in europe and top of that we have a refugee problem etc etc etc

probably more pleasant than the average amerifat

Stop fucking twisting my words to fit your personal needs.

Nothing good will follow from these things. I'm not saying your examples are incorrect, but most defenately it isn't something that should be celebrated or even accepted freely.

Not really, no. Americans at least have an excuse for their stupidity. You have to choose and try to be this stupid

Hey buddy not all of us can produce high culture like Children of Bodom. Take it easy, give it a rest. Allow some of your neighbors the glory

>excuse for stupidty

And yet we've never willingly sent tens of thousands of our fellow citizens to die in labor camps in a foreign land. Fancy that. We do have our problems, though, I admit

Honestly, very few Americans spend much time thinking about the rest of the world unless another country is suddenly dominating our news for some reason (ex: right now average American is sort of paying attention to North Korea for the first time in a while), it's easy to get insular when you have a large country separated from most of the world by big oceans.

The heritage stuff is mostly a meme, there's a small portion of people who obsess over it but they're generally older and considered kind of lame even here. The rest of us will occasionally bring it up in passing cuz it's easy small talk and cool to think about how a bunch of random immigrants traveled a long way to the US for a variety of reasons, made a living, and happened to create you.

Because "being American" or "being Canadian" means you or your parents filled out some perwork brainlet. Does a Morrocan living in your country consider himself Dutch?

paperwork

>cool to think about how a bunch of random immigrants traveled a long way to the US for a variety of reasons, made a living, and happened to create you.

This I can agree, but then the focus of the conversation would shift to your ancestors, which is in itself a completely different story/subject.

I find easy to believe that Americans do spend very few time thinking about other countries in their spare time and I would agree if the average American asked me why the fuck he would think about for example 'The Netherlands' in his free time.

As you have noticed, as individual, having found out about other countries, cultures, history and languages are not things that you can thank the education system for. Neither can I really. What I mean to say is that most people are responsible for educating themselves and what I find amusing is that when American tourists come here, they have absolutely no idea what this country is about or how it came into existence.

I just cannot fathom why someone would not read a book something about the country he is visiting. It is not hard, just take a book with you in the plane and read.

But evidence obtained from observation and in-depth conversation suggests that it is in fact very hard to do for the average American.

You have a big keyboard.

It depends

They do whenever it suits them. Then again you cannot really blame them for not feeling Dutch or connected, considering that the immigration policy in this country has sucked at least for over 50 years and still continues to suck.

>Then again you cannot really blame them
白左

お前には関係ない

>And yet we've never willingly sent tens of thousands of our fellow citizens to die in labor camps in a foreign land.
No, instead your fellow citizens are sent in their tens of thousands to die in foreign lands for the multinational corporate warhawks who have kept your nation in a perpetual state of war for decades. Fancy that.

Unfortunately in many places in the US people are not taught to value reading or education. There's no denying that. There are adults in the US who are only literate to the extent that they can follow instructions, read signs, pay bills, etc., but when it comes to actual books containing actual information beyond exactly what they need to know at the precise moment, they won't bother to find the time for it.

I've lived all over the US and the only place I've been where people keep books in their home (real books, i.e. literature and philosophy and history rather than young adult and airport paperback dribble) is New England (although I can only speak for Massachusetts and New Hampshire).

Here in SoCal it's probably as bad as the Deep South. Nobody wants to seem too stupid because it isn't fashionable to be a complete moron, but the truth is that most of the people are pretty damned stupid.

Hopefully things will change for the better in the future. Sometimes I see the same thing in my country, not everyone knows the things that they should know.

If there is one thing I cannot stand it is ignorance, stupidity or ceased progress.

Fair enough. I think a lot of Americans are just intellectually lazy and ignorant by choice, not necessarily stupid. I know a lot of Americans like to try to do a big Europe trip where they visit as many countries as possible, and most probably don't bother to look up much more than good tourist spots to snap selfies and places to eat. I think it's good practice to learn a least a little about the history of any place you visit, but you can't force people to be culturally curious. Hell I live in New Orleans and most tourists come to get hammered and eat good food, not learn about the city's history. But everyone loves those tourist dollars

About as many Australians died fighting for the personal honor of the King of England than did Americans in Vietnam and Iraq combined

A little pathetic if you ask me

Well I don't expect people know what the 80 years war is for example let alone tell it in detail.

But I would expect someone to at least know that the Netherlands is a formation/unification of provinces that were led by nobles. I would expect someone to know that the Netherlands is mostly below sea level and you name it.

I'd would expect them to know things that are easy to read and remember.

That's just kind of the way it works. We have a very strong nationalistic culture and so we do put America first, because for all intents and purposes, we ARE first.

Not to mention we're pretty isolated as far as countries go, but if its any consolation, plenty of southern americans have knowledge of mexican culture and plenty of northern americans have knowledge of canadian culture, and hell you can technically consider some US states or cities more canadian than canandian provinces. Everything else we don't normally get expose to. Meanwhile you yuros can go drive the length it takes one big state for us. and you've already visited like 6 different countries

Because American isn't an ethnicity and if we dont say exactly where our white comes form Sup Forums will say we aren't actually white and are mexican. So we have to have a full disclosure of genetic history

You can't expect people who immigrate here to just forget all about where they come from.

Easy. In Dutch History the countries that are relevant are Germany, France, Spain, UK, Austria etc.
In American history the countries that are relevant are Britain, Canada and Mexico and than vague mentions of French, Spanish and Dutch settlements. We obvisoulsy take world history classes but thats expecting retards to actually pay attention.
Now why people dont know anything is a question I cant answer. And Sup Forums probably isn't the right place since pretty much everyone here knows a fair about geography/world history

I feel like a lot of northwest Europeans dont understand what Americans mean by saying "I'm part German" or Scottish.
We are not claiming anything to do with modern scotland or modern Germany. We are not claiming anything to do with modern scottish people or modern german people.
We are claiming a German settler from 300 years ago who left to escape impoverishment and came to America to become a landowner. Nothing to do with any Hans's that may be reading this, do not flatter yourself. We are claiming their culture not yours.
And theres still some remnants of ancestry among americans. The sect of religion often corresponds with ancestry, german/scandinavian-lutheran, scottish-presbyterian, dutch-calvinism, irish/italian/polish/french-catholic, I think you get the point.

Basically the same reason why most europeans trace their country to some old shit that has almost no connection with the current thing.
People crave a connection with something permanent to give their life context and meaning.
They want their roots to be deeper than just America. It's why they invented the white race.

Actually in Dutch history there are far more relevant countries

Dutch history goes inevitably deeper. The Netherlands has always been small, unlike other countries the only way to be strong and important was to be smart. The only thing we had going on for us was having naval capabilities due to our landscape. Thus we took advantage of that, we built ships and traded with the world. That's why for example, the far east plays a huge role in Dutch history. Our history is mainly about trading, naval warfare and piracy. Eg; A handful of skilled Dutch sailors adventured as barbary corsairs and terrorised Spanish ships in the Mediterranean for example. There is a lot more about Dutch history that meets the eye.

Finland is partially right, though I am not sure why you ignored him

Similarly I don't think you are looking for a reasonable response so you don't really deserve an answer