Minnesota Officer Was ‘Reacting to the Presence of a Gun,’ Lawyer Says

nytimes.com/2016/07/10/us/minnesota-officer-was-reacting-to-the-presence-of-a-gun-lawyer-says.html

ST. ANTHONY, Minn. — A lawyer for the suburban police officer who fatally shot a black man during a traffic stop said on Saturday that the race of the driver, Philando Castile, played no role in how his client responded, and that the officer “was reacting to the presence of a gun” when he opened fire.

The comments from the lawyer, Thomas Kelly, provided the fullest accounting yet of Officer Jeronimo Yanez’s version of the shooting Wednesday night, even as many details remain unclear.

Officer Yanez, of the St. Anthony police, is on leave while state authorities investigate the shooting, which has prompted protests and raised questions about what role race might have played in the stop.

“The shooting had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the presence of that gun,” Mr. Kelly said in an interview, noting that Officer Yanez is Latino.

Mr. Castile “was not following the directions of the police officer,” Mr. Kelly said, but he declined to provide further detail.

Other urls found in this thread:

writersdigest.com/online-editor/a-before-consonants-and-an-before-vowels-is-not-the-rule
youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you have a gun, you tell the officer you have a gun.

or

be a redneck and put the shotgun in the back windows of your pickup truck like a redneck

Dash cam of both shootings when? That's what I'm waiting on to judge things. Love how BLM protested mere hours after things and didn't wait for dash cam footage. PROOF they're just racists looking to loot and pillage.

> you tell the officer you have a gun.
no you fucking don't. you follow the law in the state you're in, and you do what he says. if he tells you to do something that you think will unconceal a weapon, THEN you tell him there's a weapon there and ask how to proceed.

don't tell him you have a "gun." first state you have are licensed to conceal carry and affirm that you are carrying. keep your hand on the steering wheel.

This.

Under Minnesota law, if you're carrying a concealed weapon you're not required to tell police officers about it unless explicitly asked.

This guy fucked up big time. Not only did he reveal to the officer that he was carrying a firearm, but he did it at the worst time imaginable. He told the cop that he had a gun on him when his hands were digging through his back pockets.

That's fucking dumb as hell, you have no reason to not tell him you have a weapon regardless of state law. Not telling can only bite you in the ass later.
Also before you tell him, when you're telling him, and after you tell him, KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL unless you're told to do something.

That's not how it works.

The first things a cop will ask you for when they pull you over in a vehicle is license and registration and if you have any weapons in the vehicle.

cop fucked up hard

Has it even been confirmed that he had a valid CCW permit?

He told him he had a gun.

He just did it WHILE he was reaching - like a moron.

It is if that's their protocol. State laws and department guidelines vary.

cop values his life lol what a fuck up

If the guy did have a gun and he was the armed robber, this cop will definitely walk.

why not make it so officers have to ask if you have a weapon on your person and if so put hands up. That way if anyone gets shot for pulling out a gun they lied about its their own fault for not following the law

i agree that it had nothing to do with race and that the officer reacted to the gun.

in the U.S.A. we are allowed to own guns and in the majority of states we are allowed to carry guns.

he should not have been so jumpy, he should be charged with manslaughter and steps should be taken with police departments across the country to teach officer how to react to citizens owning, carrying, and making known that they have guns.

Willing to bet it's universal protocol. Kind of like when you're being arrested before a cop puts their hands in your pockets they'll ask if you have any sharp objects or weapons.
Cops tend to give you one shot at obeying an order to identify anything that'll put them in real or perceived harms way, and if you blow that one chance then you can expect to get a face full of asphalt.

t. sheboon telling her account

I'm a boot licker but cops don't have the right to know if you're armed unless they ask or you have to reach down somewhere that they will see the gun like the other user said.

As long as you don't shoot the cop there is no reason for them to know.

You can choose not to tell the cop you have a gun, but you risk the chance of them finding your gun and then escalating the situation.

Much easier to just inform the cop you have a gun. Usually they will ask you to step out of the vehicle and to go behind it while they retrieve the weapon.

Although in my state cops like the person they are pulling over to exit the car and meet them half way. Makes it much easier in situations like this.

Telling someone you have a gun as you're reaching for something is exactly the problem, m8.

The officer didn't know what he was doing. Just that he was making moves for an object and just confirmed he had a firearm.

And what do you think is going to happen when they see you reaching by that gun, user?

Even if it's not law, and you're not legally obligated to tell them, it's a good idea because it covers your bases so you don't end up a statistic.

AM I BEING DETAINED???

In addition, the car was pulled over because the driver appeared to be one of the suspects in an armed robbery 4 days prior. Cop would have come to the car with his gun drawn and any sudden reaction or a visible gun that the man would be reaching for would cause a response.

You are right. We don't really know if he even told the officer he had concealed carry, though? I guess you could say it's true because the cop didn't deny that he did, but it could also be because he's under shock and there's more important things right there than arguing with a acquaintice.

So first he was White, then asian, then Chinese, and finally now latino. I wonder he'll be called white latino and it'll go full circle. kek

The cop deserves to be charged with manslaughter. While the victim did have a gun, he also stated that he had one on his person at the time. Not only that, but it is within the rights of every American citizen to possess a firearm so immediately reacting to someone carrying a pistol is silly. Definitely not murder since the cop truly believed his life was in danger, but he was still an accessory to another human's life being taken.

Yeah

see
Its not like he glanced, saw it, and magdumped into the guy. He was moving for *something*.

>Not only that, but it is within the rights of every American citizen to possess a firearm so immediately reacting to someone carrying a pistol is silly
Not necessarily. Felons and the mentally ill do not have the right to own weapons. Considering the guy got shot before he could even provide his I.D, I'm sure the cop didn't run his name through a database.

anything else than the "unnamed source" not further described in the journo article?

yes probably will be called white-hispanic by many

>he also stated that he had one on his person at the time.
is there proof?
and also couldn't this be a trick to draw the weapon without instantly being shot?

No I was referring to that newspaper report

>All these people who think it's a good idea not to tell an LEO during a stop that you have a gun

If you have a carry permit they will find out as soon as they run your license, or more likely already know as they ran your plates while they were stopping you.

This is how people get shot.

Checked, fucking stupid nigger. Not only that the cheap ass gun looks exactly one used in the robbery few days ago in the same city shown in the pic.

Good way to get your gun stolen.

apparently not enough to avoid fucking up and forfeiting it

Agreed.

Don't agree with your use of "an" before a consonant. Sorry to be that guy, but it irks me.

Always tell the cop, otherwise if he sees it he will shoot you. You fucking tell him and you keep your hands on the steering wheel until he tells you to move them.

Most of the time they will let you go with a verbal warning only, because they simply don't want to deal with it.
>gun privlage

>Don't agree with your use of "an" before a consonant.

writersdigest.com/online-editor/a-before-consonants-and-an-before-vowels-is-not-the-rule

ell eee oh

>That's fucking dumb as hell, you have no reason to not tell him you have a weapon regardless of state law. Not telling can only bite you in the ass later.
>Also before you tell him, when you're telling him, and after you tell him, KEEP YOUR FUCKING HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL unless you're told to do something.
it's called making a situation worse.

if the gun is not relevant, you do not mention it because mentioning it causes unneeded tension. In fact. not mentioning it until its relevant creates a pretext that you are not in fact violent and plotting to kill a police officer so the tension spike is much lower.

staying calm is also important. if you know you did nothing wrong, you dont need to get worked up. Niggers get worked up because they cant think far enough ahead to the point where they get to fuck the pd for unlawful arrest if the cop is being a cunt.

also, nigs get worked up when they've done something wrong because they're the sort of idiot who thinks jenny will know the doll was moved when she walks back into the room

>Mr. Castile “was not following the directions of the police officer,” Mr. Kelly said, but he declined to provide further detail.

The real issue is this. Being armed, and not complying with police orders.

"Reacting to the presence of a gun" my ass.

The victim of the retarded cop had a gun possession permit, and stated it. During the search that would follow, the gun would be found. A measure of fair caution.

We have just an imbecile in uniform, who committed a murder for not knowing how to do his job.

>be me, speeding 45 mph in a 30 zone
>woop woop
>realize i am carrying my FNX .45
>keep my hands on the steering wheel rigidly
>cop comes up
>"Nice truck. Do you know why I pulled you over?"
>was speeding
>"damn straight. lemme see your license and insurance please. also why do you have your hands on the steering wheel like that?"
>officer i have to inform you that i am carrying, my wallet is in my left pocket and i want to know what's the next step so i do not alarm you with hand movements
>immediately places his hand on his gun
>"Ok. Step out of the vehicle sir, slowly"
>he takes my gun from the holster, ejects the magazine and confiscates it
>after getting my ID, going back to his car to run a search, he comes back
>"Did you used to be a police officer? That was better handled than 99% of the people I find a firearm on"
>no sir just payed attention in my CCL class
>he thanks me, doesn't write me a ticket, hands me back my gun and tells me don't be speeding again

White privilege.

That's interesting. Still feels clunky to use an 'an' before a consonant, even when that consonant is an "EL" sound.
Sense I'm in the wrong here I'm going to fall back on Stephen Fry and just say that language is evolving and as such I'm still totally right
youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

This guy shouldn't be a cop. I'll leave aside whether or not he should go to jail to a jury, but he does not need to be in uniform if he cracks under pressure this easily.

>don't have the right to know if you're armed

yeah.. but its called common sense, telling a person that can and will shoot you when they see you reach for a gun, that you have a carry licence and the gun is with you in the car, while still having your hand on the wheel so the officer can see you have intent for reaching for it.

It means jacks hit when you reach to your waist, saying in the same time you have a gun licence and the gun flashes.

The situation you'd find yourself in if the officer realizes you're concealing a weapon without telling is going to be way worse than any tension that might arise from letting him know, not worth it no matter how slim a chance.

Also no officer is going to think you're going to kill them if you're explicitly informing them you have a permit to carry, are armed at the moment, and make no sudden moves, that makes no sense. However they are definitely more inclined to think you have ill intent if they find out you were deliberately keeping that information from them or if you're retarded and reach for something while you're telling them you have a weapon.

I definitely agree with your points about keeping calm and not getting worked up, that's the key for any police interaction.

I can only speak for Kentucky, but you are absolutely NOT required to tell an officer you have a weapon unless specifically asked, regardless if you have a CCW or not. I do know that some states require you to state it upfront.

>If you have a carry permit they will find out as soon as they run your license
Not in Minnesota. A police officer has to specifically look up in a different database

This, pol is beyond even licking the boot now, they want it straight up their ass these days

I'm not arguing about the laws involving disclosure, I'm arguing that any cop who isn't a complete rookie will ask you that question upfront.
And what a cop won't ask you is "Do you know why I pulled you over?" That's a movie cliche.
But in this case that cop was an absolute rookie which is why he magdumped and then cried about it. A lot of people are going to say it was an adrenaline rush or whatever, but I'm pretty sure we can all acknowledge that he realized he shit the bed.

Sup Forums defends cops the same way dindus defend other dindus. The irony is completely lost on them.

>HE WUZ A GUD COP!
>DOIN HIS PATROL AND NUFFIN ELSE
>JUST COMPLY AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE, HERE'S [irrelevant anecdote] AS PROOF

#BLM

>hat a cop won't ask you is "Do you know why I pulled you over?" That's a movie cliche.
I'm actually usually asked why I was pulled over because if you say you do know and admit, then the officer has you on audio admitting to your crime.

I've only ever been asked once if I had a weapon when I was hauling ass down the Florida Turnpike. The cop was paranoid as fuck.

disclosure: I'm a big white as fuck redneck.

>We
who is this we you speak of ? your in zika vil

>Not in Minnesota. A police officer has to specifically look up in a different database

I don't live in Minnesota, but this is a sketchy as fuck assertion. I have a hard time believing that an officer would not make an attempt to figure out whether a driver has a permit to carry before or during a stop, or that the state would try not to make this information readily available.

Read the post moron. I said to disclose if you have to reach or reveal the gun. Why even debate if you didn't read the post?

You're perfectly well within your judgment to make a call, but so is the cop when he sees you're armed and making a sudden movement for your waist.

My interaction with police always goes like this - even though I'm in a state where you're required to tell the peace officer you're armed.

However much of a muh rights violation it is, odds are good you'll get leniency for cooperating and not escalating.

>you stupid statist pig, all cops should die
Who else keeps Tyrone and Jamal and Achmed and Mohammed off your streets? The drunk drivers, the child molestors, the crackheads who would stab you over a few bucks? Although of course 99% of Sup Forums doesn't leave their house and keep talking about how awful cops are even though they've never seen one before without immediately bursting into treats and laying on the ground crying about being oppressed.

People in this thread are dumb as dirt and listening to them will get you killed.if you have a gun and are pulled over by the police put your hands on the dashboard in plain sight, then tell the officer you have a gun. You should demonstrate that you aren't a threat and keep the conversation calm.

what a fucked up society

>Florida Turnpike.
I'm from Florida, I've been arrested once on foot, but I've been in the car when friends have been pulled over numerous times and it was always the first question they asked after demanding I.D and registration. Maybe it is just a Florida thing, if so I'd really hope it gets adopted elsewhere. Seems like a no brainer to ask if someone has a weapon and if so if they have it legally.

>Be part of a statistically violent race of people.
>Act in a manner that is deceptive and don't follow police directions.
>Actually wearing your pistol in your belt band instead of putting it in the glove box as appropriate.
>Get shot.
>MUH RACISM.

Or he acted like a nigger and got shot for it. Look how they're acting now? They go on a shooting spree for the tiniest shit. It's no surprise that cops are quicker too shoot and their recent behavior is only going to make cops crack down harder, not lesser. They're enforcers not nannies for minorities.

I'm finding it pretty hard to fault the police right now, even if they go full Dirty Harry.

An armed society is a polite society. The cop knows you could potentially kill him but you are acting properly. You are also more cognizant of the fact that the cop could potentially kill you. You treat the cop with respect and you are likely to get off the hook for what ever minor infraction you where involved with. Not being retarded is a far far better way about going about it than pointing a camera in the cops face and demanding he give you his badge number and telling him that its an illegal stop and yelling about how he is just doing this to make money off tickets or what ever the fuck your upset about.

>but so is the cop when he sees you're armed and making a sudden movement for your waist.

That's why I said to tell the officer about the firearm if you have to reach near it or somewhere that will reveal it. Cops knowing you have a gun makes them extremely nervous, no point in telling them unless you have to.

I've gotten tickets while having a CCW on me and cops had no idea. Not dead and they never knew i had a gun.

Saying "I have a gun" while reaching to your back. You're gonna have a bad time. Mix of dumb nigger and undertrained officer.

>Not in Minnesota

yeah ok but who the hell lives in minnesota

It's part of why they sit in the car for 10 minutes before coming up to you. They run the plates, if your driving your car (or someones car who has a cc permit) they will know about that.

>you stupid statist pig, all cops should die

Btw I would never say this, I actually like the police quite a bit. I just don't see why I should tell them about my gun if I'm not reaching near it and they aren't going to see it.

I've told cops about my gun and it leads to them asking for it and unloading it. It's pointless, I'm not going to shoot police.

>undertrained officer
Yeah, not this time. In the same situation I wouldn't wait to get shot at either. And I'm military.

>I actually like the police quite a bit.
You really shouldn't these days. I'm not an anarchist, I don't care about blacks getting shot, I don't use the term "bootlicker", but cops are fucking terrifying these days. Most of them are dumb as fuck and aren't trained very well.

Plus in 2005 Supreme Court ruled that cops don't have a constitutional duty to protect anyone. Shits pretty scary.

> It's pointless, I'm not going to shoot police.
They can't read your mind, nobody knows if you'll suddenly pull it out and go guns blazing. This applies many times over for low impulse control minorities.

i don't have a concealed carry license but isn't one of the MAIN THINGS THEY TEACH YOU how to deal with police while carrying?

you're supposed to put your hands on the fucking wheel and disclose the weapon before the policeman can see it and mag-dump center mass

>but cops are fucking terrifying these days...
As bad as cops are niggers are worse. You're going to force me to pick between the lesser of two evils and it's not going to be niggers.

>Officer Jeronimo Yanez
>""""""""white""""""""

Granted, I was doing 90 in a 65 in Palm Beach County...the highway cop failed to appear at court thank goodness. The cop was alright, but I had KY tags and he just acted paranoid overall.

I actually had a weapon right next to me that he didn't see. At the end of the day, he didn't know if I was a "good" guy or not.

Honestly to me the officer sounded like a pussy and it pisses me off we get these retards getting through the application process. They need to stop catering to veterans and start hiring people with actual experience - even basic customer service experience is more suitable.

I don't even blame the cop, I don't believe he was trigger happy - I think he was just easily scared and let his fear take control of him. Applicants like this can be weeded out with proper psych evaluations and if they lack the experience of being in intense situations they should not be hired. Most people in the military don't see shit and have never been in any life threatening situation - but you need more than that anyway, you need actual people skills.

If you are incapable of taking at least some control over your fear to the point you shoot somebody at the site of a firearm you should not be a cop, it's not a career for everybody.

These days yeah. When I was a kid and you weren't in a major city it was fine. Now roody-poos will steal anything they can get their hands on.

They just won't get it, and probably never will. I don't like niggers, I don't associate with any at all. That does not mean I am going to welcome a police state. Not an A or B thing.

>They can't read your mind, nobody knows if you'll suddenly pull it out and go guns blazing.

I wouldn't but I get what you mean. Thing is, if they ask me if I'm armed I'll tell them. I'm not hiding it, just not volunteering it. I keep my gun inside my jacket because I ride a bike, they don't know about it. Plus I couldn't get to it before they shot me anyways.

I don't think cops are all stupid but some are definitely nervous and do dumb shit. I just don't believe in volunteering my only real protection over to the police unless they ask for it.

The reason I disagree is that I can shoot a nigger if it is warranted. You know, better judged by 12 than carried by 6. I cannot defend myself against an officer. (Sure, constitutionally I can, but then I'm going to get Dornered even if I'm completely in the right).
I keep guns in my house, I have a CCP, I go to the gun range every month or so, I'm totally OK with Clint Eastwooding a couple of nogs, but cops are a whole different ball game.
I've only ever had to deal with one asshole cop, and it wasn't a situation where violence would have occurred, but the fact that you essentially have to just try to survive long enough to make it to court to win your case, that's crazy.

>Act in a way that could result in someone's death if you were a violent nigger.
>Get shot for it.
>HE WAS AFRAID!
>They should hire customer service over vets.
Canadaposting at its finest.

They look for the individuals who have been good boys and girls all of their life. If you have smoked marijuana or participated in pill abuse, then you are disqualified. The reality is that only basement dwellers are the ones who have never participated in any misdeeds. I think that is where the big disconnect is.

That is just an example. IMO, they need to actually recruit from individuals in society that can directly relate, but you also have to ensure you find people that are no longer shitbags.

White privilege has been earned. If cops do routine checks on black for years and have nothing on them, blacks will earn the same privilege.

yeah but i'm white, i don't have nigger problems.

That isn't even remotely what the person you're replying to was saying.

>found the bootlicker

I own myself, I'm not a slave. Fuck his orders, he has no right to shoot somebody who isnt even threatening him.

This. It's like people who ask you to choose between Israel and Palestine. How about neither.

>It's not what he was saying!
No, what he said was a superficial insult. What I said is what is actually happening.

>noting that Officer Yanez is Latino

is this code for "non whites can't be racist?"

>If you have smoked marijuana or participated in pill abuse, then you are disqualified.

is there an easier cop to bribe than one that sympathizes with the drug abusers?

degenerates don't need to be equipped and authorized as representators of the law. they will fall to groupthink worse than the cops do.

> Officer Yanez
> Yanez

Spic killed a nig. Why should we care?

Perfect fucking example. thank you.

He was Asian yeaterday kek.

Finally, some sense. Unfortunately we're going to end up in a situation where people are going to force it to be either A or B.

Should we bash in the heads of fucking marijuana abusers?

I don't avocate police officers participating in degenerate behavior. I believe police officers should hold themselves above that sort of standard, but can someone who has been down that road relate to someone such as that easier than someone that has never been exposed to that behavior?

>Applicants like this can be weeded out with proper psych evaluations and if they lack the experience of being in intense situations they should not be hired. Most people in the military don't see shit and have never been in any life threatening situation - but you need more than that anyway, you need actual people skills.

Guess why they resort to such people, nobody wants to be a fucking cop.
Its under payed for the shit they have to put up with, depending on where they work they get shit in their face every day, especial in cases like Chicago, Baltimore etc.
In this cities they already have a server lack of applicants, or better "suited" people with the current standards.

Jyst have your fucking license and registration ready when he comes to your window for fucks sake.