/mls/ general - EXPANSION SEASON edition (w/ bonus /ayy/)

Offseason News & Highlights

>www.mlssoccer.com

>nasl.com

>uslsoccer.com

>nwslsoccer.com

>www.a-league.com.au

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

mlssoccer.com/post/2014/02/05/david-beckham-exercises-mls-expansion-option-future-miami-franchise
theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/12/19/lowdown-top-socceroos-coaching-candidates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>fc

TELL US THE TEAMS, GARBER

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

An important announcement on the future of soccer in Nashville will be made on Wednesday. The announcement, to be held at the Country Music Hall of Fame, is scheduled to begin at 5 pm ET and will be live streamed on MLSsoccer.com.

MLS commissioner Don Garber will speak, along with John R. Ingram of Nashville Soccer Holdings LLC, Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam, and Nashville Mayor Megan Barry. ESPN commentator Taylor Twellman will be the emcee.

Nashville, one of 12 cities to submit formal bids in January for a total of four expansion slots, was one of four finalists to present before the MLS Expansion Committee on December 6.

-----

So clearly, this is to annouce Nashville FC in the MLS, right? That'd put the league at 24 teams; a nice round number.

Your math sucks. It's 25 announced teams.

So what's the other announced team, then? There's 23 currently listed at MLS' website, and my post just mentioned Nashville.

>perf

user is correct. LAFC starts play next year.

Alright, I checked again, plus looked at standings to make it easy. There's currently 22 MLS teams (11 in each conference), and LAFC will make it 23. So Nashville would make it 24, unless there's ANOTHER team that gets in beforehand.

Raleigh or Charlotte when?

FIGHT

there will be, expected this month, but we've been hurt before.

A week ago I'd say you'd never see one in the racist, change-is-bad, soccer-makes-kids-gay American South, but now here's Nashville so I don't know what to fucking think anymore.

>A week ago I'd say you'd never see one in the racist, change-is-bad, soccer-makes-kids-gay American South, but now here's Nashville so I don't know what to fucking think anymore.
Not that user, but everybody changes eventually, even if they don't want to.

>t. australia

>everyone changes eventually
Well yes, but usually you have to wait for entire generations to die out, so this is a nice change of pace.

>/ayy/
Good OP

Whats up cucks Nashville here ready to take the cup next year or whatever you have for post season

It doesn't really matter what kind of people are in North Carolina, it's one of the fastest growing States in the nation and is #9 in population with over 10 million people. On top of that, North Carolina actually has great high school and college soccer. MLS would be stupid to keep them out; if expansion ends in 10ish years then Charlotte/Raleigh makes the most sense as long as the ownership group is competent.

Why a fleur-de-lis? I thought that was a French thing, what does it have 5o do with Nashville? Any history I'm forgetting?

So does this mean the Sac expansion team will get put off until the next round?

You got to figure the next team announcement will happen in the east.

But Nashville is the east

This is bullshit, STL should have had the expansion

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Daily reminder that the top five teams this season were all in the Eastern Conference

With Nashville as team #24, what are teams 25, 26, 27, and 28 going to be? For me, it's
>Sacramento Republic
>FC Cincinnati
>Tampa Bay Rowdies
>Phoenix Rising FC

>10 million people

Cute

SAC WHEN
I WANT AWAY GAMES I CAN GO TO

Also there's a group trying to get a USL team in the East Bay, I'd probably go to a few games desu

Sacramento
Detroit
Cincy
Miami

>historical name
Sure, fine.
>yet another "FC"
Meh.
>nonsense name (OK, someone fill me in on why Rowdies would be a thing; following the Bucs' theme, perhaps?)
?
>both a pun AND yet another "FC"
Laaaaaame, try again.

Fuck yeah. Who here /lifelong/

You think USL D3 would be MLS-owned teams (plus maybe some independent USL-affiliated teams), and the Division II USL would be MLS affiliated teams plus independent D2 teams?

What are the chances of a soccer team coming to the Carolinas and/or Charlotte or Charleston's teams going to the MLS?

All those names are of existing teams. Also, Tampa Bay Rowdies were an original NASL team, and a NASL 2.0 team. It makes no sense, but it's historic, so

As of 2016 only 9 states have 10 million people, friendo.

I mean, two ownership groups bid for an expansion slot; one for Charlotte and one for Raleigh. The Charlotte one was a meme, and was pretty much dead soon after it was announced. The Raleigh one, however, did pretty well I think, and might have a genuine chance with the next expansion round (which is in a few years I think).

Fucking Miami, duh. They are announced and awarded. They can be revoked, but that hasn't happened yet.

Miami and LAFC were 23 and 24. Nashville is 25.

Nashville isn't really even the South at this point. It's hip and cosmopolitan as fuck.

>SC

objectively good post

>Miami at 23
>Not even a peep over at the MLS' website
Gonna need source, user; even LAFC already has their team logo up on the front page, and you're saying they're 24. Where's Miami's, then?
Or is this just your headcanon?

>Trinidad & Tobago

>Assville FC
>winning MLSC up

kek!

Are you fucking retarded? MLS has said for years that Miami is coming. It was formally awarded as part of a contractual obligation to Beckham. They aren't "listed" because they don't yet have a start date for playing.

>MLS has said for years that Miami is coming.
I'm sure it'll arrive at some point, user. Keep waiting.

>TheColorado Rapidsare interested in veteran Australian midfielder Neil Kilkenny, according to an ESPN report.

>ESPN’sPeter O’Rourke reported on Wednesday that the Rapids are “monitoring” Kilkenny’s situation and a considering making a move for the 32-year-old, who has fallen out of favor at A-League club Melbourne City FC this year.

Why, in MLS 3.0, would anyone want an Ayy League benchwarmer on the wrong side of 30?

Because LAFC has a formal join date. Miami doesn't. But Miami was still already granted by MLS (which has said that can be reversed).

You seem to think I give a fuck about Miami. I stated a fact, one that you seem to have trouble grasping. Nothing more.

What is Miami's team called?

exactly

>facts
>without posting source
user...

Nameless.

I don't understand how you people can't separate the business side from the on-the field side of the issue. As of this moment, Miami is legally #23 or 24 (doesn't matter which).

It's in Beckham's contract, which is still valid according to the league.

How fucking new are you that you aren't aware of any of this?

mlssoccer.com/post/2014/02/05/david-beckham-exercises-mls-expansion-option-future-miami-franchise

imagine getting mad about the validity of an imaginary team on a malaysian oil wrestling forum

>article from two years ago
To be fair, that IS from the league's website, so I have no choice but to treat it as legit. So, the only real point of interest, then, is where exactly in the order of MLS expansion teams it will fall into: 23? 24? 25? Details are important.

Imagine not being able to read news that has been public for more than 3 years.

Miami is legally an expansion group by the league's own admission. The league has said that if they don't get it to happen soon, the actual start-of-play date will be delayed or can be revoked.

The people who are literally in control of expansion say you're wrong. That's why the league publicly referred to this round of expansion as teams 25 and 26.

The start of play order is most certainly still in flux. LAFC is definitely #23 in that regard. #24 is not yet known and it could be Miami, Nashville, or the other coming expansion team. Theoretically, the league could also flat out cancel Miami and grant an additional expansion (i.e. Sac and Cincinnati both get in), although this seems unlikely for now.

This seems like the most accurate view of the situation.

Almost every major city in the south is now a cosmopolitan/hipster center now get with the timesI’m with you senpai. Attended UTK, med school in Memphis, moved to Nashville afterwards. Lifelong fan of all sports Tennessee

>Kilkenny

>Kill Kenny in Colorado

Who misses classic Southpark?

Impressive.

It's /wog/ not /ayy/

Because /wog/ bench = /mls/ starter

delete this

I went to the Gold Cup game in Nashville last year and oh man, what a shit atmosphere. Even their AO was more interested in talking about their wive's latest job or looking on their phones. This is doomed.

what would mls do if nashville only got like 10k people at their home opener, and like 6k average after that?

Are there any expansion areas left that could get big crowds like Seattle and Atlanta?

relocate the team to austin

No just in USL, before the MLS team has fielded. Their stadium capacity is 8500 but say after that they got 5k average. I can't imagine they would take away nashville's expansion slot, but it would look really bad on the league to let them play

Maybe Miami

I think Detroit is trying to be a "big market" team but they are going to faceplant if they try.

NYCFC needs to build a decent fucking stadium already. They could get high attendance numbers.

Chicagofags, what the fuck?

In theory, any big city without an MLB or NFL team might get a huge crowd, but those two are anomalies. Seattle has this weird "us against the world" attitude and it's part of why they're so obnoxious about their fandom. Only Mariners fans are bros because they've been shit for so long. "12s" weren't around when the Seahawks were getting cucked in the AFC West.

We have no idea if ATL's attendance will hold up long term. There were certain games within their backloaded home schedule where the lower bowl wasn't filled at all. That's not a good sign. They've also been helped by the fact that the Braves moved out to "NO BLACKS ALLOWED" land with zero public transit options while also playing their early schedule on a hip college campus surrounded by tons of bars.

Miami won't because all the fucks down there want RM or Barca to move there permanently. That market is a mistake, they don't support a single local team except the Dolphins when they run the wildcat.

Have you been to Bridgeview? There is a reason the Fire can't draw. I've never felt closer to getting spontaneous tetanus til I went there.

Strangely enough, they're trying to get an entirely independent Chicago USL team with a stadium of 20k. It's supposed to be in a better area for fans to get to, but I don't know jack shit about Chicago, so I don't know

The stadium itself isn't bad but the location is the worst I've been to for an arena. It's in the ass end of nowhere and the traffic backs up for miles before and after the game.

Miami doesn't have fans unless the team is winning. And even then the fans are shit-tier. A new team in Miami would need fast success if they wanted to full the stadium consistently.

Why are so many American stadiums built in the middle of nowhere?

says the prisoner colonist on an island in the middle of nowhere

Back to /hoc/

For me, it's Brisbane 0-0 Perth tonight.

Two dogshit teams.

>Postecoglou will again throw himself into the big wide world of coaching abroad next year, assuming the reins at J-League heavyweights Yokohama F Marinos.

Holy fucking YUCK at 90% of the rumoured candiates for the Shockeroos job

theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/12/19/lowdown-top-socceroos-coaching-candidates

how do people view timmy cahill in australia

Probably the only guy left that has mainstream appeal right now

thats bleak

We've got the shittest team in years.

10 years ago pretty much our first XI were all playing in the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga and even some of them were on the bench.

no but i mean like personality wise

he played for the red bulls and was so egotistical and saccharine that i couldnt take it

his son is also extremely gay

Well he quit Melbourne City because he was benched kek

I think people generally like Cahill though because he wasn't the type to skip qualifiers against shit countries like some of our past big players like Viduka and Kewell.

yes, i saw that. that is literally the reason he left us too, but he got a red card after 40 seconds in a playoff game first just to sweeten the deal. he also couldnt take that thierry henry garnered more respect that he did.

he just comes off as so fucking... oleaginous and transparent

He's not a great interviewee I guess

I think he's appreciated here in Australia also because he's wogballer that has a very Australian "style" about him in that he never gives up and is clutch as fuck when we need him.

Melbourne """""Victory""""" have won 3 games from 11 matches and are still in fifth position kek

lurk more

/wog/ General (feat. /mls/)

DM me at @Craig_Foster once we get to 490 posts so I can make the next thread

foster... austalian for queer

Nobody actually drinks that here

i know i was just calling you gay because its australian banter

he's right, they drink racism and the tears of the aborignes.

FUCK

huntsville here
regularly go to nashville to bang sloots on the weekend
hometown team essentially