Why aren't all doctors on Federation ships holographic doctors...

Why aren't all doctors on Federation ships holographic doctors? They are completely superior to humans in every possible way when it comes to medicine. They don't make mistakes and contain the sum of all known medical knowledge with the ability to instantly recall any of it. Obviously you'd have a human backup to operate outside of Sick Bay (until they invent the mobile emitter), as well as in case something happens to the holoprojectors, but why is the hologram the emergency backup and not the human?

Star Trek technology is weird as fuck and prone to going haywire. Like that time the EMH got stuck in a feedback loop, was hacked into by aliens, or when his hardware interferes with the other technology somehow

I was about to make this same post. He also had his program progressively degrade from overuse and had to have the diagnostic program overlaid onto him to save him.

EMH never earned a doctorate, does not deserve the appellation "doctor," and wasn't even sapient long enough to get through pre-med and med school.

EMH? His name is medic, not doctor.

Because affirmative action

How dare you, filthy photophobe!

Humans are prone to dying

>Why aren't all doctors on Federation ships holographic doctors?
Or androids for that matter. And the answer is exploring space via probes is too boring for primetime television.

It was fairly new technology when Voyager was launched, also holograms and holodeck technology uses up a buttload of energy and is prone to wierd bugs and quirks.

So are computer programs.

He'd make a great nurse though. There to make suggestions, to get needles and pills prepped. Why am I commenting on a fake robot doctor from a distant non-future?

It wasn't overuse in itself, it was the fact that he kept expanding his program with his personality and non-medical shit he was learning. If he stayed in his role exclusively as a doctor it wouldn't have happened.

Star Trek is all about human potential.
The Federation could just make drone ships, but they don't feel it's very fulfilling for humanity.

What are you talking about, user?

For the same reason algorithms aren't allowed to write prescriptions or diaognose diseases today, because they probably could.

the emh is probably the only instance holotech wasnt involved in some sort of disaster and you ask this question.

>Why aren't all doctors on Federation ships holographic doctors? They are completely superior to humans in every possible way when it comes to medicine.

Why stop at doctors? Replace the crew!

nick, please leave

The Federation is irrationally humanist and abhors AI and automation on a broad scale.

>forcing people to die in order to simply travel
>putting families on warships
>putting human beings in harm's way when photonics would obviously suffice

>humanist
No, my deluded friend. The Federation were sadists.

Take note n-gg--s.

This is how you start a Star Trek thread.

A question relating to a technology or episode or particular topic.

>Why am I commenting on a fake robot doctor from a distant non-future?
Because Robert Picardo made him so sympathetic and believable.

because if they replaced all the crew, they wouldn't need doctors!

Unironically if they made a true Star Trek sequel set into the future at this point if would have to include normalized holograms as well as android and Borg characters.

and that would be awesome, hence they don't do it

It blows my mind they don't. It's not even like it would be hard to do like they did to themselves with the Klingons.

>There will never be a true ST sequel set in the future when the Federation encompasses all the quadrants of the galaxy and has used the combined tech of all major alien races to set its site on exploring new galaxies across the universe.

Let's collectively generate a spec script. We all know it's possible, so let's do it. Maybe it might actually get implemented.

Let's do it, guys. Brainstorming session begins here and now. This thread could be the genesis of a new Trek.

The EMH was a pilot project. It makes sense they would start with doctors since they are probably the highest training required of any member of the crew. (and most expensive, even though they don't have "money" the CMO of a ship has privileges and status equal to the captain)

Because in Trek, technology has made all human labor redundant.

You think any of them have a fucking clue what they are doing?

Look at Voyager. Perfect example. All that technobable- that's dunning koenig effect in action. All they need to be be smart enough to scan things and make basic diagnostic decisions while the ship probably basically repairs itself. Sickbay would be no different.

Humans are basically the useless appendage onboard. That's why there are no robots ever seen on board a federation ship. I'm not just talking about sentient androids like Data but any thing like a robotic lander helpful droid like in Wars.

You could have entire holographic crew that would arguably more effective. However you would have a glut of board humans and only so many holodecks to go around.

>generate a spec script.

No thanks, I only work for money

>He'd make a great nurse though.
Not really, he has a terrible bedside manner.

>they wouldn't need doctors!
Except for when they go to planets and have to provide medical care to colonists.

>I only work for money
...says the guy solving captchas for alphabet inc just to post here.

Feel free to cloverpost to prove me wrong.

>dunning koenig
The irony is strong in you, friendo.

they are too busy using sentient holograms to manually mine holograms

I can prove it.

When the crew encounter an anomaly what is the very first thing they do?

Ask the computer.

>Everytime.

I meant asteroids

I assumed you meant hologram consciousness was generated like cryptocurrency

>clicking a couple of brainless checks is somehow the same of spending hours writing fanfics you could never sell..

As we are shitpostinv, I'm watching 'one small step' and Janeway just said that like 4 minutes ago

Feddies seem more masochistic, everyone is a volunteer. People now are lining up for the eventual one way trip to Lunar, Martian and space colonies.

It's also a repost.

Yeah, okay, nevermind. I don't even want to talk to the likes of you.

Wish you would fuck off from trekthreads forever. I can recognize your posting style, and you always suck.

>watching VOY
>its a Doctor episode
Why was his character so well written compared to almost everybody else?

Given how often the holodecks fuck up and the ships computer gets compromised, it's probably a simple matter of safety.

Unnecessary carriage returns are more common than you think.

I'm sure there are at least three of us in trekthreads... maybe even four!

Ugly bags of mostly water get compromised more than computers

you mean like his doodad that interfaced with sevens thingamajig and created a retarded borg baby that grew into a retarded borg man that an hirod and really made you think?

goddammit i hate voyager

Because he wasn't human.

The writers were under orders to write humans like rocks, the directors were under orders to direct humans like wood, and the actors were under orders to act humans like cardboard.

What a mess.

>liking traitorous, self-centered, backstabbing programs that cares more about a thinking bomb than thousand of humanoid on a ship

This tells a lot about people, when they say they like EMH I instantly know they are bad persons that you shouldn't trust

Look at this carriage return. Completely unnecessary. I bet you don't even know the size of Voyager's crew complement.

That's a navy thing IRL, ship docs can overrule the captain in medical issues.

same reason people still learn how to do math by hand and in their head despite the fact calculators exist.

you need people around who know shit else you become completely dependent upon machines.

its not just that, doctors get higher ranks because doctors wouldn't go into the navy in the first place if they didn't get paid well..

its the most in-demand position in the military and I don't that changing nomatter how commie your future gets

>Can't spell Dunning-Kruger.
Gets shitty with people on the internet.

>He'd make a great nurse though. There to make suggestions, to get needles and pills prepped.
That's literally what he was made for though.
He himself says that he was programmed to assist the actual Chief Medical Officer, instead of filling in for him. He can do more, but isn't meant to.

As for why they're not doing it constantly:

Remember that one time his RAM got so big from being active so much, that he pretty much crashed and they had to move his vital data elsewhere?

>Look at this carriage return. Completely unnecessary.
What in God's name are you babbling about?

>Remember that one time his RAM got so big from being active so much, that he pretty much crashed and they had to move his vital data elsewhere?
see

All these worthless posts and we could have directed this effort towards a spec script. Sad!

>doesn't know what a carriage return is
Perhaps you're underage.

Don't worry. Even in Star Trek, minors lead rich and fulfilling lives. Why, you could pilot the Federation's flagship or be molested by a magic spaceman, and all before you enter puberty.

It isn't really 100% confirmed.
Three things are stated.
>His program was never designed to function for long periods of time, only for brief sessions, and that too rarely
>His program became bloated with useless data
>This useless data includes his bonus skills AND his relationship with the crew

Basically, though it would take longer, he'd still shut down just from having long standing relationships with a lot of crew members, if he didn't pick up new skills/hobbies.
And that's literally the only reason he's even made to look human. So he can do that.

If the Federation wanted automatons, they wouldn't have bothered giving him a personality, so removing that, would remove what makes the program what it is, and we'd be talking about a completely different thing, than the EMH system the Federation created.

>No DS9 with The Doctor (the only reason to watch Voyager)
Why has God abandoned us?

You didn't answer my question.

What's the issue with having a space between green text and body? Why is that such a big deal to you? People do that all the time for reading clairty.

>and a paragraph break is more in terms with modern terms grandpa, my key says enter

Not that user, but there isn't any reason to break between link to quoted post and greentext, or link to quoted post and response, or greentext and response.

Breaks are fine, but they ought to be used judiciously.

>You didn't answer my question.
>>What in God's name are you babbling about?
Your original question indicates that you didn't understand what my post was discussing. So were you actually ignorant, or were you only pretending to be ignorant? Either way, that's quite the shameful display.

But more importantly, I'm trying to discuss Star Trek, whereas your posts are off-topic garbage. Like that 11:59 episode of Voyager which had nothing to do with Voyager. Pure garbage which doesn't belong at all. Please cease and desist.

>Breaks are fine, but they ought to be used judiciously.

How long have you been on Sup Forums?
This spacing is the same as on most text based forums where people generally separate sentences and/or thoughts into paragraphs.
I do it for the sake of modern monitors and not everyone is a phone poster.

If it's your first day here, I'll forgive your autism.

Linguistic ethics aren't autism, and I'm not dealing with you any further. Goodbye and I hope you learn better manners.

Look at that unnecessary carriage return.

It's as unnecessary as a Pakled in Space Costanza's Think Tank.

>the only reason to watch Voyager
I'll give you that in terms of well written characters, though Neelix is bro-tier. However, Voyager is worth watching just for the hordes of waifus alone.

>Your original question indicates that you didn't understand what my post was discussing.

Why did you omit the part where you showed umbrage with a 'carriage return'? That was part of my question, hence, why I quoted it.

You told that guy off for using a space between green text and non-green text and I explained it to you. Also, quit using anachronisms. My deceased grandmother returned carriages with ink cartridges.

>Linguistic ethics
Trying a little too hard now, the word ethics doesn't apply to arbitrary rules. Please fuck off back to you nursing home.

>samefagging so hard you forget how to quote people properly

>tfw no holodeck warrior waifu

>"I totally understand Sup Forums you guys!!! You must be new!!!"
>doesn't know how to quote multiple posts
Wew.

I didn't mean to say that your posts are garbage. I mean to say that you should be hauled away AS garbage.

I think this logic applies when used in the context of quoting here.

Thanks for not replying to the main points in my post, thus tacitly forfeiting all further argument.

>child molester
>bro-tier
Nope.

Neelix is Waste Extraction tier.

Only one Waifu and she leaves the show

>leaving space from greentext is now bad

This place has gone to hell

>is now
You are encountering ancient memes, newfag. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Name a single woman in the show who is not absolute waifu tier other than Janeway

Unnecessary space between greentext and blacktext is the posting equivalent of a Freedom-class starship.

Technically feasible, but dumb.

literally the first time I see this kind of autism and I have been here for way too long

Question: How do you spot a newfriend?
Answer: When they insist that they're an oldfriend.

Then, by that regard, let's apply this logic to APA/MLA essay formats. I guess those breaks between paragraphs are rather cumbersome now.
And the 1.5" spacing, man, that's gotta' go too because being an autist, we can pick and choose when things are "dumb" and use reaction images to tie up are illogical feelings about things.

I am not insisting, I just said it once

Why did the star trekkers bother going anywhere at all? What relevant knowledge did they ever gain from flying around? Just a load of grief from angry aliens.

They should have just stayed on earth.

Torres, 7....
That cardassian was cute as a bajoran but after the Operation

The smart ones did. Starfleet is humanity's rejects.

go back to Terra prime you fucking luddite scum

>we can pick and choose when things are "dumb" and use reaction images to tie up are illogical feelings about things.
That's the point of Sup Forums, newbie.

>Torres
Retract that statement immediately.

Seven may not exactly be waifu material but damn if she isn't the biggest fapbait

>Implying Janeway isn't waifu tier
Unless you're talking about the original one who only exists in test footage, I've literally no idea what you're talking about.

There's nothing sexy about genocide.

> manlets

When will they learn?

You get a Starfleet commendation pin for admitting you were wrong, ensign.

Now go scrub those plasma conduits, that's an order

I dunno, depends on view.

That carriage return between your redtext and blacktext is completely unnecessary.

Fortunately, plasma conduits can be scrubbed by holographic slave labor now.

>EMH never earned a doctorate
How do you know? They're holograms, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Zimmerman had the EMH take all the medical exams as a test that it actually works before submitting it to Starfleet, he could then create copies of the endoctored model.

>he could then create copies of the endoctored model.
Voyager has multiple episodes where it's impossible to make a copy of the EMH.

Fucking Voyager.

EMH was made to supplement the medical staff in the event one or more of the actual human doctors were incapacitated. This is covered in VOY: Swarm, which reveals that the EMH was never designed for extended use, and having him running for 2+ years starts to cause his entire holomatrix to degrade.

However in DS9: Doctor Bashir, I Presume, Zimmerman (the guy who made the EMH) was working on a Long-Term Medical Hologram, or LMH, designed to be the primary medical personnel in isolated locales where life support is at a premium.

Except for the time when it was revealed that there is a copy of the EMH in the form of the EMH Backup Module.