How can Japanese even compete?

How can Japanese even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IVohBBNYOks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

itt: gook people plobrems

Havent seen it yet. Is it good as they say it is?

Surprisingly enjoyable. I wasn't going in expecting might so I quite liked it but if you hear a lot of people talk about it you might feel its over hyped.

I like korean movies, but I genuinely hate historical korean movies. They are just beyond my comprehension. But I will give it a try

Of the three Koreaboo movies I saw this year (Train to Busan, The Wailing, The Handmaiden), The Handmaiden was the best by far. Still very silly, but still the best. Great sex scenes.

Good to here but the Wailing set the bar pretty low desu

I don't know what people saw in that one, or Train to Busan. Both movies are ridiculous for different reasons.

Train to Busan but was ridiculous by definition. I like it. On the other hand the Wailing tried to be scary and smart but ended up as a complete mess.

TtB is better but it's also just a zombie flick. I got as much enjoyment watching Bong Joon-ho's shit.

>a zombie flick
but it supposed to be a zombie flick. Nothing more. And you got what you paid for (inb4 implying anyone paid for it). I sincerely have no idea what The Wailing was

>what The Wailing was
a zombie flick as well, but like you said it tried to be ultra-spiritual and serious and culturally significant. Fell totally flat. I am maybe too hard on Train to Busan, but I just thought the characters were incredibly thin. I didn't care about a single one.

Is it really possible to kill someone with mercury-laced cigarettes?

The Wailing was like pans labyrinth. Fantasy - mystery genre. Not really horror

>I didn't care about a single one.
I think it was the movie's idea to kill off everyone. Also you had to care for that pregnant lady.

>Also you had to care for that pregnant lady.
She was barely even a character just some mother figure for the child at the end. Also she would have lost the baby several times with the amount of shit she did in the movie.

Dont be a dick. I liked the actress from other movies. I cared for her

That's fine but they should have given her a better role. I guess it was really slim pickings in this movie though. The generic flawed single father who learns humility. The generic brawny barroom brawler pragmatist. The high school couple who had three scenes together but we're supposed to care when they die. The comically evil 1% coward villain guy. The scriptwriter clearly wasn't making that his priority.

It wasnt so bad. I genuinely thought that more ppl would have survived, especially the father or those teenagers.

have you watched Snowpiercer? Besides one being about zombies and the other being about post-apocalypse, it's literally the same thing. The same numbero f characters even survive.

Of course Ive seen it. And TtB is not even close to Showpiercer. Sorry but Showpiercer was almost kino, when TtB was just a fun movie. There was no idea behing TtB.

>Sorry but Showpiercer was almost kino
Well... let's think about that. Snowpiercer had actual characters in it, that's one thing it has over TtB. But the movie is still messy when it comes to pacing. Starts out interesting, gets INCREDIBLE for about 50 minutes, but then 75% of the way through it somehow loses all sense of momentum and the characters are just lazily moving through the train gradually getting killed off waiting for the big finale which is really more of a whimper. I never read the comic it was based on, but I somehow doubt the final arc of the story was quite so limp.

Snowpiercer also took itself way too seriously at times. The movie itself is totally nuts, and the best scenes are when it embraces this (the soldiers dousing their knives in fish blood, the colorful classroom, the "shoe on head" scene).

I also think Train to Busan took itself way too seriously as well. The whole shit about "fathers go through sacrifice, your daughter will understand when she's older" was incredibly trite especially given how it ends.

But Snowpiercer was quite serious in its core when TtB wasnt. There is nothing to compare. Snowpiercer may have had some flaws but behind some shitty things there was quite interesting and well executed plot. TtB was about zombies. Thats it. Come on user. Stop trolling me.

>tooth brushing scene

How can something so unerotic be so erotic?

>TtB was about zombies
Ostensibly yes. and Snowpiercer is about an indestructible train.

But TtB also tried to be about fatherhood. The first 20 minutes beat you with this, the ending too. Every piece of dialogue from the daughter. Snowpiercer tried to be about class warfare in the same way.

Why do you think I'm trolling you by having a discussion? For the record I consider Snowpiercer far superior to Train to Busan but they have quite a lot of similar sensibilities.

Snowpiercer was more serious in the sense that it engaged with concepts of class warfare, capitalism and Marxism in a nuanced fashion through its symbols whereas TtB operated more from a heart of pure pathos and definitely took a definitive stance with regards to its questions of hierarchy in society. The businessman villain, for example, could have been replaced with a more calculating and less fundamentally cowardly symbol of the bourgeoisie, as we saw with Ed Harris in Snowpiercer. Still an unethical figure, but one with a compelling case to make.

I loved TtB, though. I found it more entertaining than Snowpiercer, and both were films that relied to a large extent on entertainment value.

TtB was definitely about class warfare as well, though

>an indestructible train.
No it wasnt. It was about system and ppl in it.
>But TtB also tried to be about fatherhood. The first 20 minutes beat you with this, the ending too.
Well they had to build up characters. I had no expectations towards TtB so I swallowed all the shit they served me.

yeah ..no

Also true, but the fatherhood angle is definitely center stage. I think there was more to the businessman's villain saying he had to visit his mother when he's being zombified but I can't really see it right now.

Easy.

Like the indestructible train for Snowpiercer, the zombies in TtB were vehicles to deliver the overall themes of the film. Do you think the movie ending with the daughter singing the song she learned for her dad and triumphantly finishing it was conceived by accident?

The businessman talking about his mother basically revealed the core of his character. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where the host of this party plays the piano and each song reveals someone's true personality, the biggest asshole at the party acts like a scared little boy. It was consistent with the businessman's behavior throughout the movie. He only acted in his own self-interest because he was terrified and on some level never grew up. I do wish the movie had set up a bit more with regards to characters degenerating to their "true selves" before zombifying, since it also ended up basically being the main guy's final hero moment, but seeing the businessman come out and act like a lost child was a nice curveball.

Jesus, both were about trains so that makes them similar?

Although come to think of it, the businessman's final moments sort of tie back to the fatherhood theme. Like, the way someone truly grows up is by taking responsibility and putting others ahead of themselves, i.e. becoming a father

It's scissoringkino, 9/10.

Yes

Yes that would have been a great little device for the movie that would have made it a lot more unique to me. I also appreciated that this movie pushed the idea that the villain is what the hero is in danger of turning into unless he makes a change. I still think the movie suffered from thin characters and was quite heavy on the emotional manipulation as a result (music cues were a bit much at times) but I definitely didn't outright hate it.

Thank you. Sup Forums makes me a bit patrician every day

Both were about trains, class warfare (the scene where the businessman and those other people locks out the MC and the brawler and the high school student was so much like Snowpiercer I swear it was even shot the same), both were made by Koreans, both ended with two characters (one woman and one child) walking away from the destruction towards uncertain safety.

To be fair I watched the movie with a six pack of tall beers and I loved it. The characters were simplisticaly written but the acting was great

I do enjoy movies like this on occasion. I guess I wasn't really in the mood when I saw it but I am enjoying the discussion now. Did you see The Host? I feel like the tone is 1:1.

Yeah The Host is similar in tone and definitely themes, but I still consider it a lot better. Also while TtB is pretty much non-stop zombie action once it starts, The Host does a lot more to explore its characters. Like there are huge stretches where you never even see the monster. Also while I was definitely rooting for the main guy from TtB by the end because it's a good underdog/redemption story, Song Kang-Ho is one of the best actors alive and his character was rock solid from the beginning of The Host.

I definitely agree with you there. TtB is a nice movie but a little thin. I do believe it's the director's first live-action movie so I think he did an amazing job. Hopefully he will develop his writing a bit better because I do think he has competence.

Yeah, still though he has a great eye for live action directing. Great zombie action

Yes, the escalator mob rush was quite an incredible visual in terms of scale.

Just finished this flick

youtube.com/watch?v=IVohBBNYOks