Do you rate him?

Do you rate him?

I honestly think he was the best U.S. players of all time, and one of the most underrated footballers of our time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p2tmftLN2lY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No one on Sup Forums rates based Landon Donovan? The one who put the USA on the map and made soccer popular here?

To be quite honest I think he's on the same tier as Samuel Eto'o

Never really tested himself in Europe so he'll always be a question mark. I think that speaks volumes about who he is as a player

Lol wut, you make it sound like it was a personal choice. He couldn't get off the bench at Bayern.

Anyway, Donovan is by no means fucking "underrated", retard OP. If he had been German or Spanish you would never hear about him today, but since he's American you do. A decent player with a marketable nationality, that's all.

I wouldn't say he's underrated at all, but I do like him.

he was ok. massively overhyped by americans, maybe slightly overlooked by everyone else. nothing to get too excited about on the global scale though

I rate him. Though unfortunately no one gave him a chance in europe He could have take the US to the Semi's in 2002 if it wasn't for that blatant Handball against Germany.

El diablo... long time no see.

G. O. A. T.

O.

A.

T.

>Do you rate him?
What the fuck does this even mean?

it means your a newfag

I love Mexican posters. Always good for a laugh.

Donovan is a good player and has received the fitting recognition. The one American player that has been under rated and not given the recognition he deserves is damarcus beasley. The guy was very instrumental during the 2002 world cup run.

Massively overrated. Was a midtable tier babby who couldn't raise his level further which is why he couldn't get off the bench at Leverukusen or a terrible Bayern Munich but do well at Everton. Of course he massively overperformed with the national team so it evens out. He reminds me of Miroslav Klose who had a great national team career but a somewhat mediocre club career.

Pulisic already plays at a higher level.

He misspelled rape

Pulisic is better at 19 than this pompous, balding loser could ever be. Los Angeles Galaxy legend though LOL

Best USA player of all time as of today

Bang average player, never truly tested himself in Europe so impossible to call him anything other than average. He has no excuse, if he wanted the easy life then that's fine, but we can forget this talk about him being underrated.

Better than Dempsey?

No, Dempsey actually proved himself over several seasons in the Premier League. Donovan is definitely better than some American players that have played in the Premier League, but because he never played in Europe for a significant amount of time we can never really judge him. Dempsey was a good Premier League player for a few seasons so Donovan simply doesn't stack up to him.

How many Mexican and English players had a comparable national team career in the same time frame

It's easy to have his national team stats when you statpad in a joke confederation like Concacrap and in friendlies. Just like Jozy Altidore.

>It's easy to have his national team stats
How come no one else has his stats then?

this nigga hairline is in a different time zone

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

Tim Cahill was better tbqh

Deuce was better. At least he was in starting 11 when he was with Fulham and one of their best players. Bad career move going to spurs.

Landycakes never really broke into a starting 11 role germany or with everton. Landy is really good, but Deuce is by far best forward america has ever produced, and Puligod will probably surpass both in a couple of years.

>same tier as Samuel Eto'o

this has to be bait. eto'o was top five players in the world for multiple years. donovan has never even been close to top 100.

he wasn't bad, but he couldn't make it in europe in multiple countries. perhaps if he gone to a league like ours or the belgian league he could've been more accomplished but in terms of being accomplished in europe pulisic has already overtaken him.

youtube.com/watch?v=p2tmftLN2lY

Agreed. Still think he should have won Puskas award for this goal and not hummus.

Dumb american talking about shit he has no idea about. Typical.

This is why My Little Soccer was a mistake.

>donovan didn’t statpad against shit team-

Cuba (8 goals scored)
Honduras (4 goals scored)
Panama (4 goals scored)
Mexico (4 goals scored)

He was amazing. Even in the Premier League when he went out on loan at Everton a couple of times. He really showed his class at the international level.

You have to wonder though, how good he would have been if he wasn't such a pussy and fought it out in Europe.

IMO Pulisic is going to be what Donovan could have been.

Dempsey was better and scored far more important goals against big teams like Brazil and Spain. Landycakes statpadded hard and mostly scored against Mexico.

klinsman enjoyed getting rid of him

Didn't he break down and start bawling just by making the knock out rounds at the 2010 world cup? If he's the"the best U.S player of all time" he set the bar pretty damn low

t. chicano

klinsmann is a piece of shit for not bringing him in 2014, even as a sub, the dude is an elite finisher

He was the best CONCACAF player for some time, but that's not saying much

mexico would rape your sorry ass team.

my dick finishes better than landycakes

I recounted and he actually has 6 against Honduras and 6 against Mexico, pretty good

>donovan
>underrated
He's rated just fine

Fuck no. Dempsey is the American GOAT and don't let My Little Soccer faggots tell you otherwise

ah yes, the american Riquelme.

If Dempsey is the GOAT then why was he benched faggot?

>based for getting elbowed by an italian teen

Fuck off Chi

fuck off

Mls tier. Also asshole

Dempsey better i rate him

Landon is a dumb first name. I don't get why Americans always do that to their poor innocent children.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Carlos Pavon (Honduras): 57
Carlos Ruiz (Guatemala): 68
Stern John (Trinidad & Tobago): 70

All 3 of them also have noticeably higher goals/game ratio.

Landon is like the American Tim Cahill, putting the team on his back.

Go back to not giving a crud

>There are people ITT that unironically don't rate Landycakes

Agree Landon is GOAT

>stat padding this hard
>yet 0 (zero) goals against tomato and tomahto when it matters

Watched Donovan growing up. Saw the 2002 World Cup when I was 12 years old. Some perspective/my take.

Many will like Dempsey more because they're polar opposites personality wise. Neither are really captain material but both did a lot to raise the visibility of soccer in this country. People don't hate Donovan IMO, they hate that he didn't stay in Europe for most of his career. Even then what would his ceiling be? Probably a starter for a team like Everton or even a CL team in a smaller. Then again when I used to say Park Ji-Sung could minutes as a role player than Donvoan could too with his pace and vision.

Many don't like his association with MLS and that he stayed in the league for so long. And yes the praise he gets can be annoying. But he's the American Tim Cahill. So that's not bad, he wasn't world class but a good player.

Donovan is a Cali boy, it wasn't until his first loan spell at Everton that he somewhat regretted not playing in Europe earlier. The cut throat mentality wasn't always there, he was content with doing things his way. Despite playing in MLS he always raised his level for the national team with the exception of 2006.

objectively dempsey is better and pulisic is already on that level but donovan had the intangibles.

Beasley for newer and younger American soccer fans is that veteran stopgap at left-back. And yes he overstayed his welcome there, but if not for injuries his career could've been even better. He was really good in his prime. US team still lacking a decent winger today.

the womens team made soccer popular here you dumb fuck, its the only team that we have that ever won anything in soccer and the only athletes that anyone takes seriously as it relates to soccer. The mens team is a huge dumpster fire filled with literal whos who never get the job done, just look at how we missed the world cup this year, an absolute embarrassment. Landon was also just slightly above average as a player too. The US simply doesn't have the infrastructure to produce good soccer players because we don't give a shit about the sport and also are unwilling to sell our children into slave labor at age 10 to begin their training. only reason we won shit with our women is because the rest of the world doesn't care about their womens team

How will pic related stack up in the future?

Pace covers his technical flaws. Has improved tactically since moving to England but there's a reason he's at Newcastle and not one of the Top 5-6 clubs in England. I wonder how he'll adjust his game as he gets older and the pace deteriorates. I think Tyler Adams has a higher ceiling, although Yedlin is no.1 right-back for US right now.

samefagging here a bit but to add.. Cherundolo was better tactically and a better passer than Yedlin. Not the same physically or pace wise though.

>the womens team made soccer popular here you dumb fuck
This is just retarded bait. No one gives a fuck about wymyn's sawker.

>You now remember that run he made from Argentina's half to tackle Messi in the 2016 Coppa America

are you memeing faggot? you must be underage

I can name everyone on the womans team and I don't give a single shit about soccer, at all. Meanwhile I can only name the so called wonder kid who couldn't even qualify us for the world cup, on the mens team

It's scary how accurate this is.

>I can name everyone on the womans team
LMAO

>I can name everyone on the womans team
That's because you're a homosexual soyboy faggot who watches them. The US mens team consistently gets far more views compared to the women's world cup games and that isn't up for debate. A group stage game against Portugal got 25-30 million views whereas the women's world cup final got 5 million less than that. You're just a delusional retard probably trying to bait.

Oh fuck I see where this is going. Please for the love of god mods delete this post before IT happens

fuck off phoneposter

He's 67 years old you can't still expect him to save us when the rest of the team plays like garbage

Idk if he even played against tomato tomahto

The American Oxlade- Chamberlain

He was very hated in Mexico. Always clutch against us.

mega mind ass nigga

Donovan isn't underrated. He was a good player who would have been a star on a lower tier PL team, an important roll player on a mid tier and maybe a solid substitute on a top team. You can forget about his failures in Germany. Leverkusen he was really young, Bayern was just a meme.

His stints with Everton are probably most indicitive of the kind of player he could have been in Europe.

Good player, his stubborn unwillingness to leave his comfort zone in MLS will be a mar on his career. But he is along with Dempsey the finest American. Will never forget his Algeria goal.

this is a tremendous and accurate summation. 10/10

>a marketable nationality
Do you think anyone outside of America likes Americans? Do you? DO YOU REALLY?

reminder in america they actually did this

What's wrong with it? Covers were regional. Leave it to an Akmed cock slurping Swede to scoff at national pride.

>in the future
Won't get much better than he is today, if at all. He's just fast, no particular football skill at all. Dude should just go run track.

is the japanese case covered in anime?

>Jozy Altidore, 3rd most goals ever
kek

it's understandable why they did this 2bh

i think he might have meant on the same tier of overlooked players not in terms of talent cause some on Eto'o played in the highest level leagues

Landon Donovan is a living legend whether you like it or not. Importantly, he lived life how he wanted, not how some role-playing inferiority-complex laden American "soccer fans" wanted. He had a ridiculouslysuccessful career, brought American soccer to a new level, scored 5 (FIVE) World Cup goals.

Also, Donovan was a great example of how American players were not given any chances back then. He was homesick at Leverkusen, came back, was the best player in MLS for years. He went to Munich, yet was shoehorned in as a scapegoat for when Klinsmann failed at Bayern. But yet again, despite every public misconception in the European soccer world about him, he felt like going to Everton and was literally their best player both times. The guy took a vacation like "Alright fine, you're complaining so much let me actually go and see what I can do" and he ended up player of the month for a #5/6/7 EPL team. So imagine if he actually cared about the opinion of some utter losers who think EPL is the pinnacle of the sport and have to apologize before they make any comments about the game with a reddit-like "haha I'm just American but here is my opinion" disclaimer.

Lastly, Dempsey could score 1000000000000000000000 goals in the Premier League and it wouldn't matter. If you were to pick one player to build your team around, it was Landon. And this is not to denigrate Dempsey's achievements, he is my favorite.

His career is the ultimate fuck you to the plague that exists within the sport here. Thus, he is even more than a typical legend.