Pastafarian Who Wore Strainer On Head Ordered To Get New License Picture

chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-pastafarian-drivers-license-picture-met-20160708-story.html
Chicago Tribune
July 8 2016

'Pastafarian' who wore strainer on head ordered to get new license picture

A Chicago-area woman says she wants to fight for her right to wear a pasta strainer on her head in her driver's license photo, claiming the item is an expression of her religious beliefs.

Rachel Hoover, 21, says she belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and has actively practiced the religion for five years. Members call themselves Pastafarians.

The Arlington Heights woman had gone to the Illinois secretary of state's Schaumburg facility last week to renew her license and told an employee she wanted to take her photo with a colander on her head "to make a point that this is my religion."

Hoover's request was initially rejected, but she eventually persuaded employees to let her proceed with the photo while, she said, she was subjected to mockery and insults by both workers and bystanders. She called the experience "pretty awful."

Then this week, she received a letter from the secretary of state's office saying the photo was "incorrect" and that her license will be canceled unless she gets a new picture taken by July 29.

Agency spokesman Dave Druker said Hoover shouldn't have been allowed to wear the strainer on her head in the first place and "we are looking into why that was done."

Druker said the state does allow citizens to wear religious headdress in license photos. Muslim women, for example, may wear hijabs as long as their faces are visible.

He said the office would not make an exception for Pastafarians. He noted that Hoover was not wearing the pasta strainer when she entered the facility, putting it on specifically for the photo.

Hoover said later it was impractical to wear a strainer all the time, though she asserted that some practitioners do.

cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-6r86T1m4c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Druker said a similar incident happened several years ago, and that person was also mistakenly allowed to have the strainer picture taken, but then agreed to a re-shoot when told the license would otherwise be revoked. Self-proclaimed Pastafarians have tried to wear strainers in license pictures in other states, and some have been allowed, such as a woman in Massachusetts last year.

The Illinois agency is "just trying to use a little common sense. It almost looks like Pastafarians are a mockery of religion," Druker said.

The movement was created by Bobby Henderson — now considered its "prophet" — in response to a 2005 proposal in Kansas that schools teach the theory of intelligent design along with evolution. Henderson wrote an open letter saying that if intelligent design was going to be taught, so too should the beliefs of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's largely seen as a parody, yet Hoover purports to take it seriously, explaining the colander is a way of remembering "the supreme being above me." She said her experience at the secretary of state facility prompted her to pay $25 for a certificate proclaiming her to be an ordained Pastafarian minister. She said the title does not come with any specific duties.

"Some people say a Flying Spaghetti Monster sounds silly. But to me, because I didn't grow up with that, the idea of Jesus sounded silly to me," Hoover said.

Hoover said she intends to fight for the right to wear the strainer in her license picture but acknowledged that more practical matters may intervene.

"I'm 21 years old. I have car issues. I'm broke. I can't really afford an attorney at this point," she said. "But that does not mean it's the end of my battle at all."

FIN

>le Spaghetti Monster lelele XDDDDD

Fuck liberals.

>attention whoring

sage

I hope she gets jail time for cringe inducement in a public area

fuck that, as long as her face isn't covered she can wear whatever the fuck she want

>mfw white women

I like it because it BTFOs Muslims stupid headdress shit.

I'm sure neither of you have a problem with hijabs you good lil goys

This. Pretty rage/cringe inducing when Atheists/Nihilists/Agnostics/"Pastafarians" spaz out in public about religion.

>fuck that, as long as her face isn't covered she can wear whatever the fuck she want

this

ive seen too many muslims wearing headscarfs in the dmv for them to not allow this, this is bullshit, what has to happen, pastafarian terrorism? wtf is this opression.

If pastafarianism was a recognized religion they would have a point, but right now it's just stupid.

If it's her religious headwear I don't see what the issue is.

thank you for your input muhammad

should kill that bitch for wearing the flag as clothing.

lol so randumb! xD

upboat me reddit LOL internet army GO!

This kind of cuckold lolbertarian logic is what leads to tranny toddlers being a thing.

tfw I was born in Arlington Heights and got my license at the same place

>Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

>Hoover's request was initially rejected, but she eventually persuaded employees to let her proceed with the photo while, she said, she was subjected to mockery and insults by both workers and bystanders. She called the experience "pretty awful."

So now government employees can openly insult citizens over their religious beliefs?

Sounds like some DMV employees need to get fired.

>give muslims legislation to wear concealing headwear
>take the legislation away
Does the law follow emotions or not because we seem to oscillate between yes and no daily.

who is this semen demon

Diane,

I've honestly never met a girl so dedicated to irony and bullshitting

I think I'm in love

Honestly what fucking difference does it make let the bitch keep her license.

Jesus christ, talk about mountain out of a mole hill.

>Agency spokesman Dave Druker said Hoover shouldn't have been allowed to wear the strainer on her head in the first place and "we are looking into why that was done."

So this woman just got some minimum-wage worker fired to make an edgy point about religion. I thought liberals cared about the working class?

>It almost looks like Pastafarians are a mockery of religion," Druker said.

He's starting to get it.

>who is this semen demon

a pastafarian heroine

THANK YOU

Drives me nuts when I see that shit

that is pretty funny.

>He said the office would not make an exception for Pastafarians. He noted that Hoover was not wearing the pasta strainer when she entered the facility, putting it on specifically for the photo.
BTFO.
Literally.

haha nobody is getting fired over this unless it was a Muslim being denied for a hijab

all the "Christians" and "whites" on Sup Forums will get all huffy about a dumb bitch wearing a pasta strainer but are perfectly ok with a hijab

Going to get a Trump wig and claim I practice "Trumpism"

>So this woman just got some minimum-wage worker fired

DMV personell are unionized, it's almost impossible to fire them and they're making FAR more then minimum wage...

i thinks kinda hilarious, she looks cute ass af too

>wtf is this opression.
She's white.
White people are not allowed shit.
Bureaucracy and society assumes that just because you're white, you can get over it and have your values stumped.

I'll make an easy example.

I am Italian. We value clean houses.
It's a cultural thing.
We also want our guests to wear footwear and not go barefoot to the toilet.

Do you think Australians respect this even if I pointed it out? Fuck no. They live like barbarians.
Also they assume that just because I'm white I can tolerate their filthy habits.

But had I been Muslim, they would think twice about arguing against me.

Actually I really fucking do.

Then why do they seem borderline-suicidal?

they still have to work at the DMV day after day

>Hoover was not wearing the pasta strainer when she entered the facility, putting it on specifically for the photo
This is not religious headgear you fucking cucks.

Is that spaghetti sauce or a fucking herpes sore on her face??

based

pastafarians are redpilled

She likes it rough.

> hurr why d others not believe in the buybull, IM CORRECT U GUYS

Religion started as a very good idea, but slowly turned bad once it got hijacked by autists and faggots like these hotheads

What's that thing on her lip?

Is it tomato sauce?

I don't see what is wrong with wearing that on her head..

Naw, she probably wore the strainer to take attention away from her STD lips

>want clean house
>wear shoes indoors

Who's the barbarians again?

It's herpes.

Grainy picture but she's kinda QT desu senpai

>We also want our guests to wear footwear and not go barefoot to the toilet.
So did the burgers get their tendency to wear shoes in the house from you Italians?
And if your house is always clean why do you care about someone being barefoot?

But who gets to decide what's a "real" religion and what's not?

The metal fedora.

>freedom of religion as long as it's recognized.

I'm glad a few people are willing to troll the stupid ass culture that bends over backwards to accommodate religion. At least our constitution is based.

Very nice, we need actions like this. Fuck religion.

>shoes indoor
>Who's the barbarians again?
No, you silly Canacuck. I meant footwear
You don't go barefoot where you take a shit.
You take fucking care of putting the slippers on.
I fucking gave my guests slippers and they disregarded what I asked of them.

They thought it was a fucking option just because they go full retard at home.

>from you Italians?
Italians hate carpet and hardly have crapeted floor at homes
That's why they mostly wear something

I go around home in socks.
But like the Japanese I put slippers when I go to pee or take a shit... and I leave them by the toilet door.

>getting triggered by something that doesn't exist
How is such a thing possible?

Common sense gets to decide, Mr leaf. The meme religion that's less than a decade old is obviously fake.

>But who gets to decide what's a "real" religion and what's not?
That isn't the issue. The bitch only put on the colander for the photo. She literally never wears it otherwise.

You must have voted for Trudeau. Cuck.

White people are fucking faggots, always picking the easy targets like Christianity.

It would be different if she was wearing this to protest hijabs or some shit, but nope, as post reveals, she is just doing this to mock Christianity. Real rebellious there..what's next you gonna make fun of white guys?

Fuck you

*dibs bedora*

why are atheists always so autistic

>pastafarians are redpilled
faggots too

Germans are the real niggers. They should have Holocausted themselves.

because muslims aren't writing the laws in her country. both religions are shit

youtube.com/watch?v=n-6r86T1m4c

is this you?

>But who gets to decide what's a "real" religion and what's not?
she only put it on for the picture it's attention whoring at best

Wow she is bae
redhead, 115 lbs? would creampie

you know that's kind of funny.

If it's recognized its recognized

What's makes a fake religion real enough

Tom Cruz?

wow

what a bitter man

you have no girlfriend

she is a beautiful girl! i want to marry her!

There is no common sense in believing. The whole point of the Spaghetti Monster is to show how ridiculous religion is.

She 'believes' in this and wants to put it on for the photo. If they deny her when others are allowed it's intolerant. No matter how ridiculous you think her beliefs are, see above.

Do they wear the drapery when they're getting dicked though?

>lumping nihilists with atheists or any religious ideology.
>being this dum

But isn't all this shit like
>mistaking the map for the place?

Suppose you draw a map of the country.
The map represents it, but it is NOT the country.
It copies some salient features of the thing, but it is NOT the thing.

Same goes for Pastafarianism.
They map on religion, but they are not a religion.
Unless, of course, there are laws that allow people to register religions indiscriminately (hello America?).

In other countries, where religions may get substantial funding (e.g. Germany, Italy, etc.) just qua religions... the process of acknowledgment is slow and requires to show they have believers, a network of association, match many criteria, and also show the disposition to genuinely pursue their beliefs and rituals.

This doesn't mean Pastacuckianism cannot become a legalized religion, but before such a lengthy process is undertaken, they are just an association like the Uni Spanish Club.

It is because countries like the US or Iceland take things such as religions very light-heartedly that anybody can wake up one morning and create a religion from scratch.

Plus, as I said, Pastafarians mistake their mimicry of a religion for an actual religion.
Their implicit claim is that there is nothing beyond religion than chimpish rituals.

But Pastafarians don't actually believe there is something like the big spaghetti God. They go around and say that just to trigger people. They don't genuinely and dispositionally believe in the facticity of such entity.

So, afaiac, they can take their pasta and GTFO.

IDEAL WOMAN

>The whole point of the Spaghetti Monster is to show how ridiculous religion is.
Ebin. Liked and suscribed.
I don't get how this waste of everyone's time is supposed to prove anything. At the end of the day i still believe in God and she still doesn't. This is just attention whoring.

>Somebody mocks muslims
>Sup Forums hates this person
what the hell is going on in this thread?

Very brief, but excellent summary of what I was meant to say there:

Religion was never a good idea . It's origins are literally based in self pity and cuckoldry, Caliph Molymeme did a video on it a long time ago .

Good tribes - kill and win
Bad tribes - fail, so they need some coping mechanism to explain all the bad shit that happens (volcanos , other tribes attacking , no rain, et ) and a victim to make everyone still feel good

(Instead of actually winning)

Their doublethink is starting to catch up to them.

Sky Daddy isn't much better, user

Good for her. Who gives a fuck what she has on her head. She's clearly identifiable.

>But Pastafarians don't actually believe there is something like the big spaghetti God. They go around and say that just to trigger people. They don't genuinely and dispositionally believe in the facticity of such entity.

and i can say the same about most mainstream christians and muslims, they DONT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THE EARTH WAS CREATED IN 7 DAYS AND THE WORLD IS 2000 YEARS OLD, ITS JUST THEIR 'BELIEFS' THAT BELIEVE THAT.

its the same thing, you're a bigot and/or an idiotic believer.

>Caliph Molymeme did a video on it a long time ago .
Try Nietzsche.

you're just jealous
you know you'll never be that cool
i bet you hate spaghetti too

>You don't go barefoot where you take a shit.
But what's the reason? In my experience most people's bathroom floors aren't flooded with piss and shit on a regular basis. I don't see why it's a concern.

Common sense is anything but common. Is Scientology a religion? Is it a cult? What's the difference? How about Won Buddhism, it's only 100 years old so is it still a real religion? How old does a religion have to before it's certified? 50 years? 100? 500? 2000? And who decides?
The point is either you treat everyone the same, or you're just arbitrarily making the rules up as you go - and then why should anyone respect those rules?

>You must have voted for Trudeau
Actually I voted for an independent (but a former conservative) :^)

Yeah it is, but there's an argument behind it. Do you really think "pastafarians" give a shit about wearing colanders in photos? No, they don't. But if they can't wear them then no one should be able to wear crap on their head for government issued ID.

You guys are getting so upset at this and the solution is literally this: "Ok. Go ahead. Wear a colander. No one gives a fuck." Just bite the bullet and accept that people are free to do act like retards.

Religion started because some schizophrenics heard voices.

>islam is the only religion to wear headdresses

ok

>pastafarian
>five years

Fucking newfags

Its a lighthearted joke for me, her and the rest of those laughing.

Not the religious or whoever might find themselves confused or vexed by it. No biggie.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some banging John 7:12 joke or something, that's fine too.

Pastafarians are tedious.

But she's a total babe and that's a cute/funny picture.

Except it was the winning tribes whose religion continued. It was full of stories about how other tribes had all that shit happen and they lucked out.

...yeah....

like how we didn't let faggots be out until they forced us to recognize their religion

>I don't get how this waste of everyone's time is supposed to prove anything.

it's not, it's just for attention for the retard doing it.

Sup Forums is not one person faggots

sooner you learn this lesson the better

Why don't you fedoras keep your mares in line? All they are are babymakers; remind them of it.

Bootlicking abounds.

"Please tell me what I can and can't have on my head, Lordly Rulers."

YFW in 1500 years pastafarians will be the number one fastest growing religion and terrorist funders in the solar system, quckly destroying the dominant religion, Islam.

>Is Scientology a religion?
Again, user. Use common sense. Everyone knows scientology is a scam.
>How about Won Buddhism
Never heard of it. Just searched it and it seems the people who follow it believe in it, Seems like a real religion to me.
>How old does a religion have to before it's certified?
It needs to make sense (As much as sense as a religion can make.) The beliefs needs to have some fundament that goes beyond LE MEMES XD.
>The point is either you treat everyone the same
The problem is that everyone isn't equal.