Reminder that the NFL doesn't consider this as possessing the football

Reminder that the NFL doesn't consider this as possessing the football.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FpoN__w10xI
youtube.com/watch?v=1khK6is-Bfs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you still mad? Learn the fucking rule Shittsburger and see similar cases

honestly if that was gronk for the win what would be saying?

The refs would've called it a touchdown if it had been a Patriot player

does it count as not a TD if he crosses the goal line with obvious control of the ball?

Not if he doesn't maintain control.

>does it count as not a TD
Your English is awful here.

One need to survive contact with the ground for it to be a completion and a TD here.

Control doesn't count as TD. You need to have possession of the ball while the ball is in the end zone.

And for that he needs to complete the process of catch first, and that includes having control of the ball and not letting it bobble while going to the ground when you land after you jump to catch the ball.

if he actually had posession of it why was he rolling around on the ground with. pull it into your chest or hold it firmly off the ground if you actually have possession of it.

i've seen some iffy calls but this wasn't even close to a catch, but muh steelers fags gunna keep posting these still frames that make it look like an undisputed catch

Hes not saying the ruling was incorrect. He's saying the rules are retarded. He clearly demonstrates enough control to pull the ball in and then extend it over the plane. It's the contact with the ground that causes contact but for a runner that would be irrelevant.

>but for a runner

too bad he wasn't a runner, bongtard

m8, in that picture, he might not even be at the fucking endzone, let alone have control of the ball. Get a gif or a webm or leave faggot, this "judge by a single image without any fucking context" bullshit is childish.

>defending the retarded rules when it benefits them
>will cry the second the Patriots get caught cheating the rules and are punished
>will claim the league is out to get them and that cheating isn't a big deal
Patsfags in a nutshell

> cheating
dropped, please go babby somewhere else.

I don’t really watch much American football and shit like this is why. Over officiated garbage.

He had control in the air this is indisputable. It's retarded that he should be under another requirement that doesn't exist anywhere else in football.

>the NFL

Lads, is it rigged?

The worst is that it was ruled a TD, then they came back and said it was indisputable that it wasn't a catch. The Pats always sneak by on these sorts of calls. Funny how one team always benefiting from them.

For the retards that don't know how to use the internet

youtube.com/watch?v=1khK6is-Bfs

What about this is not clear from the rulebook:

>If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete

1) he went to the ground without contact
2) he maintained (as in HE DID MAINTAIN) control of the ball until after initial contact (feet/knee)
3) he lost control of the ball and the ball touched the ground before he regained control

Incomplete.

> buh buh buh but runningbacks

No. A running back must HAVE POSSESSION OF THE BALL first. This defines possession for a receiver.

> buh buh buh but endzone
See rule definition, and note about possession.

No catch.

> W-w-w wait, b-b-but you said that he "must maintain control of the ball until after hist initial contact with the ground" The bobble was *after* his initial contact! The part about contact with the ground doesn't apply!
Why do you think the rules states "if he loses control"? He can't lose control if he never had control. The "if" clause is there specifically to handle the case where control was established, then lost. Control is not possession.
NO CATCH

What don't you babies just get the rules changed yet again because of the patriots?

Was clearly a touchdown. Patriots go on to win the super bowl that season. Coincidence?

Nobody is arguing it was a catch. We are arguing it should have been.

wait, wait. You think I said that because i can't find it? Are you saying I can proof any point i want here on Sup Forums by cherry picking a still out of any video?

Holy fuck.

You are fucking retarded to think that's what I meant. Good day faggot.

Knee is down. Steelers ball on the 1. First and goal.

reminder that Mike Tomlin was on the competition committee that defined the catch rule

1) Need to be down by contact
2) still need to maintain control

>he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground
Firmly grasbs ball with both hands. Left knee hits after he caught it, right foot hits after he caught it, elbow hits after he caught it, all while having both hands firmly on the ball. Proceeds to make a football move toward the goal line after all of this has been established, does so successfully without ball moving.

Lunging forward =/= having control of the ball as per the rules.

"contact" in this case means someone from opposite team has to touch him. Not contact with the ground.

he has control, then loses it. he can have control and lose it and it's a no catch as opposed to a fumble.

Lell. Cowboys might have been an easier game. Or maybe not considering that retarded pass call that will haunt them forever.

>Left knee hits after he caught it, right foot hits after he caught it, elbow hits after he caught it
wtf does that have to do with anything.
>all while having both hands firmly on the ball
yeah, nah

yes, that's what I said. Please re-read, i literally put it in caps. unless you are agreeing with me.

then he loses control of the ball and it hits the ground before he recovers. Right there in the rules. Incomplete.

I know in the event of a diving catch, going to ground it does not matter if he lunges, jungles or does a triple summersault if he loses it when making contact with the ground before regaining control.

The retarded thing of it is, if he didn't try to stretch for the endzone and just protected the ball to complete the catch, he still probably could have just rolled into the endzone for a td because he wasnt downed by contact and no one was really close to him.

Ah.

These catch rules are skullfuckingly retarded having read over them.

I guess by rule it wasn't a catch. But the rule is fucking retarded and making me not want to watch the NFL anymore...

>the rule is fucking retarded
People keep saying this but it looks like an incomplete pass to me. Gronkowski had a similar catch earlier this year against Denver that was also ruled incomplete.

Are you a retard?

Firstly he did have control when he lunged forward; the issue aS PEr thE rUlES is that he LOST control.

Secondly I'm not arguing the ruling was wrong but the rules in the first place.

Mike Tomlin is on the committee that voted unanimously that the rule should not be changed, so it is what is it is. I don't see the rule being changed or reversed anytime in the near future..

Watch the catch in slow motion.

>catches ball with both hands while his right toes on the ground
>proceeds to make a football move, separate from the completed pass, toward the goal line
>left foot touches while maintaining control
>left knee hits while maintaining control with both hands
>extends across goal line, entire left side of body in contact with the ground at this point
>left elbow hits the ground, ball still firmly grasped in both hands
>ball already crossed the goal line at this point
>not possession, not a touchdown

Explain.

>attempt to catch football
>knee down but you haent been contacted
>lose control of football
Dont see why Steelerfags are still crying. Very clear cut and simple. Be glad they didnt determine it was fumbled into the end zone and you at least got two more chances before you blew the game.

>>left elbow hits the ground, ball still firmly grasped in both hands
What the fuck were you watching.

Because the Patriot player wouldnt be reaching across the goal line to stat pad and wouldve secured the ball first.

Passing the goal line with control of the ball doesn't matter. A TD by rule requires possession of the ball while in the end zone, and you can't have possession before completing the whole process of the catch.

and for that you can read my earlier post

HURRRRRR

The going to the ground rules apply anywhere on the field though.

His elbow actually hit after he crossed the goal line just an FYI, it's what made him lose control of the ball in the endzone. Once he caught the ball he started the process of going to the ground, those rules have already been posted. He lunged forward, the ball moved in his hands (loss of control therefore not in possession) ultimately the the ball hit the ground before he re-established control meaning he didn't survive going to the ground meaning it was a no catch meaning no touchdown.

Had he been a runner it would have been a touchdown, but he was a receiver going to the ground.

hosting and winning the Superbowl bois

In conclusion: sports rules and referring is ambiguous, and those teams with the most money/popularity will always be favored when in doubt. It's the same with every sport. It's all about the money and keeping people entertained.

Im a pats fan but i gotta say, it was not a touchdown.

I honestly hope that happens for you guys. Gjallarhorn would be epic

im ready to lose my hearing and hopefully bring about Ragnarok somehow
Skol

>running back jumps the line and breaks the plane but loses the football
>touch down
>receiver catches the ball, breaks the plane except for the ball turning a bit in his hand as he contacts the ground
>incomplete
This is literally the dumbest sport in this country when you really break it down. That said, there is NO WAY this gets overturned if this is a patriots receiver

>Stoolers fans
That's the fucking rule shitcunts, literally every catch in the game has to survive the ground and your TE didn't
enjoy the trip to Foxborough

>that flag
>that post
makes sense

hows that neck feeling old man

>sports rules and referring is ambiguous,

No it's not. The rule is very clear and quite consistently ruled. It's just that people seem to be thick as pig shit when it comes to trying to understand why their team lost.

> those teams with the most money/popularity will always be favored when in doubt

This is also not true. They took a TD away from Dez Bryant for the same reason, and Cowboys are the biggest team in any sport in the US.

>that flag
>that retarded post
makes sense

> explain
Why don't you read the rules an understand them and what every person is saying you dumb fuck. how do you watch football and post on a sports board and are functionally unable to read rules?

Im a Steelers fan and I say its a good call and not a TD. Also my city smells and i let Patriots fans fuck my wife while I watch from her son's closet

Bright sucked. Only watch it if you like Shadowrun.

He caughtthe ball with his back to the endzone and turned and started to strech he should have been called a runner at that point.

>literally lose control of the ball
how does anyone think this is a catch?

So the people shitting on the catch rule, are you okay with possession being established during the catch, then knocked loose by a DB in coverage, and the ball being ruled as fumbled?

That's the other option, you either have fumbles or incompletes. Which one do you fucking want more of?

I thought the ball only had to cross the "invisible wall" between the redzone and the endzone while in possession of an offensive player. That's why you see players scoring touchdowns by just stretching the arm with the ball crossing the "wall" over the DLine. Although everytime I saw this the player "remained in possession of the ball" even thought it didn't seem to matter since the TD was called almost emediatly as the ball crossed the wall.

Would what this 'burg guy did the equivalent of jumping over the DLine, stretching the arm/ball cross the "wall" inside the endzone, and then opening his hand and letting it fall on the other side?

And if that's the case, that's not a TD then? I can understand that and it makes sense, but in practical terms by just watching the game and the TDs being called, you get the impression that you just have to make the ball cross the wall (since TD are called mostly intantly in that moment)

That's only if you have possession and have become a runner. If the eyes of the rule book what this guy is doing is all one motion which means when the ball hits the ground it's incomplete

Ok, yeah I can understand that.

Chiefs had a call like that earlier in the season in our loss streaks, two times actually. Difference is we didnt bitch about it 24/7 after it happened unlike the fucking Yinzers. Seriously fuck Steeler fans, worst fucking scum in the NFL.

I lived in Pittsburgh for three years.
I developed a deep hatred for the Steelers
most Steelers fans are terrible.
First, each pretends like they have in depth knowledge of the game. "That should be intentional grounding!" one yelled at me during a handoff. "We should move Pouncey to TE!" another declares for no particular reason. "Yinz gotta run it every down" they claim when Ben was at his peak.
I fucking hate them. Listening to local sports radio was the closest an auditory experience could come to both a train wreck and inbreeding at the same time.
Then there's their undying love for playing dirty and pretending like it's good football. When the Bengals do it, it's dirty. But when they do it, "dats jus foobawl!" Heinz Ward loved blindsiding people. James Harrison hulked out on a Cardinals' back after the whistle during the Super Bowl and they claim its just intensity. Mitchell is worse than Suh and it's not close. Polamalu was amazing. Every other famous Steeler player should probably be in jail. Especially Mr. Non-Consenting Relations.
Pittsburgh itself is also terrible. " on the side like your abuse of tax money isn't transparent. It's the only place I've ever been where I could see where I wanted to go from the interstate and had no idea how to get there. The Southside Slopes are basically American Flavelas.
Their most famous culinary achievement is putting french fries on a sandwich like a fucking grade schooler. There are still out of work steel mill workers even though the last mill closed a generation ago. No, you're unemployed, asshole. You should have accepted that 10 years ago when your abandoned mill was converted into a failing strip mall.
Heinz field was built using taxpayer money despite tax payers voting against it. Their government didn't give a fuck.
Fuck them and fuck their city. Fuck Yinzers who have never been outside Allegheny County but are convinced it's the best place to live in the world. They think people from Youngstown are exotic.

This. Or just fucking take it on the 1 yard and go for a sure TD later. Greedy fucker.

Stoolers actually consider this as possessing the football

If he was running yes. He didnt complete the pass yet though

/Thread

The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Roger Goodell

Why should they make the game easier? Just do your job and hold on to the damn ball jesus

But it wasnt a catch. You can clearly see the ball not in his hands as he hits the ground

>Nobody is arguing it was a catch

The current rules are easier desu. QBs and receivers can do big jumping stupid catches without fear of a fumble and turnover.

Belicheck tells his players to never reach like that, and that he'll bench them if they mess up that way

>Nobody is arguing it was a catch
>but it should have been

Where should it jave been a catch? When he dropped it?

DELETE THIS!

When he clearly had control of the ball. The bobble after contact with the ground would have been irrelevant as he had crossed the plane.

He clearly didnt have control of the ball if landing knocks it out of your grasp.

>Was able to pull the ball in down his body, then bring it across his body to stretch out
>Ball isn't loose before contact with the ground
>No control

Even the rules currently state "MAINTAINING" control. Nobody argues that he didn't have control It's just he subsequently lost that control.

And the rules say plainly, clearly that if control isn't maintained upon contact with the ground it is incomplete.

fucking kek

>have ball between hands is full control

You can manipulate how the ball is moved with just a hand and a finger, but thats not full control. His left hand gave out as soon as it hit the ground, showing he didnt have full control of the ball

read the thread newfag

Read the rulebook casual. A knee hitting the ground means jack shit if the ball spills out afterwards.

>A knee hitting the ground means jackshit if no opponent touchs you

Ftfy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Roethlisberger completed a pass to James
>He must MAINTAIN control of the football
From Riveron himself. Even he admits he had control of the football that he then lost (which i dont disagree with).

what part of new england are you guys from?

It doesn't even get to the point where it matters if someone touches you if you spill the ball.

extremely underrated post

If you read the thread you'll see two reason why you're a retard and should lurk more

1) I agree with the ruling - it was not a TD or a completion as per the rulebook.
2)I haven't said shit about a knee hitting the ground.

Sydney MA.

It'd be the same fucking thing if he was out of bounds, y'all cowards don't even watch foottball