Design, architecture, art

hello Sup Forums,

i am willing to discuss with you:
design, architecture, and a bit about art

i am not your everyday Sup Forumsak that loves neo-clasical, fully ornamented things, etc. but if you are willing to talk about it, sure.

if you want to judge glass cube buildings, as well this is fine.

to start a thread, pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Wien_-_Österreichische_Postsparkasse,_Georg-Coch-Platz.JPG
theworkofcastor.com/little-jons-cabin/
theworkofcastor.com/little-jons-cuck-shed/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

maybe this?

11/10
It's sad to see this type of architecture being demolished and replaced with a fucking concrete cube nowadays

whats your thought on shipping containers being used as building materials

so, concrete cube seems very practical, but also expensive to build.

I live in the cold north, and have been thinking of building a home on some property (off the beaten path) what design would be strong, and efficient and reasonably priced to build? as well as attractive without looking like a cube?

>usa
>cold north

You probably live in new england you fag

incorrect, general midwest near chicucko

I love old buildings that have been converted to look super modern and minimalistic inside. I'd lovee to live in something like pic related.

puke inducing desu
the problem with modern architecture is that it's not one consistent style, it's usually just a bunch of cubes stacked on top of each other but when you build a bunch of buildings with conflicting styles and designs and colours next to each other it just looks fucking awful.

sorry for late replays i thought thread died...

>replaced with a fucking concrete cube
>pic
>concrete cube + and half a sphere.
wow lad...

it is debatable idea, these cointainers are not so cheap if you buy one... and i am not so sure how much these metals are weather wise. probably it does not let watter in, but heat and cold might be an issue, so additional isolation probably has to be build inside.

wood or brick (depends what you have more in area since it might be cheaper) mass terminal walls. you could raise it a bit above ground, (sounds crazy but it helps a lot)
larger windows on side where is no wind hitting and smaller where it does. style choose, ill come back to you when i find something good. but pic related

nice intervention

>no consistent style
modernism had different design movements, so it makes sense that it is not consistent style. but mainly modern architecture main goal is what is inside, efficiency of used space.

That building is plagued with design faults, ie leaking roof, cracked concrete.
Plus it's so actually bad to live in that no-one does now.
Scandi modernist housing is pretty comfy af, though.

My house is untouched early Victorian at the front, we built an extension on the back & went for a cedar clad minimal style.

Down with degenerate architecture.

and if you have a lot of snow not fall for the "high gabel roofs are great" meme, you wont exit your house one day. (only if door is on front)

Modern architects should be forced to live in and around their buildings.

Wish we carried on being a major port

Chester is comfy as fuck

>design faults, ie leaking roof, cracked concrete.
concrete will always crack if it has metal structure, since metal corrode. you cant avoid this.

this looks nice, although laughable when you understand that there is no reason for houses like this when there is no actual snow.

buildings like this makes me vomit

that building in the back looks amaising, i would suggest you to make the same for yourself

>laughable when you understand that there is no reason for houses like this when there is no actual snow.
When you place so much importance in utilitarianism and so little in ornamentation, you paradoxically create a building that is so ugly it's almost useless, fit only to be demolished.

Brutalisim is bestalisim

Agreed

Is there a name for Japanese architecture like pic related?
I like how basic it looks without being too depressing like Soviet bloc architecture.

i wanna live in that.
i have pleasant dreams of such places...

you lack basic logic

metabolism, pic related

but this is not metabolism, i have no idea what is name for that.

metabolism is last important modern arch movement from japan. main idea is that buildings could be extended and expanded if needed.

Does seeing this happen give you an erection?

traditional = the best

What's behind this green, white, curvy "ecotopian" trend that I see in every proposed project on the web?
Contemporary architecture has been around for a while, but I'm seeing many buildings proposed specifically using these colors and curvature.

this post is autistic and its not for pol.

retard autism, now you see it?

2/10. Very boring and very ugly.
3/10. Slightly more interesting but still very dull.
10/10. Amazing craftsmanship and scope.
0/10. Hideous, small, skillessly made.
5/10. Interesting design but not at all practical.
3/10. Drab and primitive looking.
10/10. Vibrant, interesting, and skillfully built.
8/10. Well made and interesting, but loses points for the clashing surroundings.
9/10. Well constructed and comfortable looking.
7/10. Vibrant but barren looking.
6/10. Nice addition of foliage but still somewhat primitive.
6/10. Decently designed but still very drab looking overall.
3/10. Boring and uninspiring.

>What's behind this
Do you even have to ask?

Those types of developments are always nigger paradise. High density, converging paths, few exits, blind spots, and communal "gardens" in the middles of the buildings which will inevitably be litter-strewn and empty and apart from loitering basketballmen. Crime magnet.

I really hate zaha hadid

Denys Lasdun fan here. Love Modernism, hate Post-Modernism.

Architecture student here,

Ausbro, how do you feel about the Vienna succestion movement?

different eras of design in Columbus ohio. from art deco to government beaux arts to po-mo

behind it is a trend of local and mini agroculture as a futuristic proposal. f.e. so they grow apples on ruff tops. but as we all know humans, this will go to dust soon.
and zaha hadid influence everywhere. much simplified.

architecture has movements. many of the movement reflect upon problems of the world today. same as i mentioned for metabolism, they were trying to find solution for ever growing japanese population in cities. so their solution was that you do not have to build new buildings but to just extend existing once, which would be cost and space efficient.

no, it doesn't
but pic related does

What's that building, I think it's in Germany, it was supposed to be traditionally designed but a bunch of SJW types said it would be too Nazi like, so now it's literally half traditional and half modern?

Detroit Central station

The question i pose to this thread is: If you dont like the curvy/boxy/color architecture of today, what do you think it should be?
Do you want another "X-revival" era again? You can see it happening in the 1800s onward - tudor-revival, pueblo-revival, gothic-revival, and so on. but for all of those revival styles there still is a 'new' style concurrent

some would argue we are still in post-modern, with others say we are in the age of parametricism like Zaha hadid's work

very typical post-modern cinema at a mall near Kalamazoo

>amazing craftsmanship
Wtf do you mean, craftsmanship?
It was never built.

Pic related is an abandoned chateau that sadly is on the verge of being demolished.

Some good news for England.

Salford is expected to look like this in a decades time, if all goes to plan.
Now, it looks ugly, sure. But this is Salford we're talking about. A miserable dump. And this is a big improvement.

The quality of building is low, but density is high and it is very urban, which is about as much as you can ask for in England's mid-sized cities.

For those wondering: Salford is a quasi-city very close to Manchester.

If you could pick any home for yourself, how would it look like?

1920s art deco

you mean secession?

50/50 some things were just shit, and some were just amasing. pic related
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Wien_-_Österreichische_Postsparkasse,_Georg-Coch-Platz.JPG
(image too big)

main secession building is as well nice.

Corbu was a god among men, his buildings are some of the most evocatively spiritual spaces that I have ever seen, easily up there with the highest peaks of Gothic architecture.

The age of parametricism is just only beginning, but we are still in post-modern.
Although, most buildings are getting updated

Architects tend to be futuristic, they see the future as simple and white.

it's meme tbqh

Dumping more Corbu

More

Even more

Look into insulated concrete forms or icf. Reduce your heat load exponentially. They can be finished in whatever manner you wish.

Still more Corbu

And the interior

You are a worthless architect. Wind has nothing yo do with window size. In cold climates you want large well insulated windows where the sun hits them during winter. You can also add thermal mass inside like a brick wall.
In hot climates you want minimal glazing where the sun hits in summer with deep soffits to protect windows from hot summer sun.

calatrava in Milwaukee Wisconsin

Tbh the british trafitional style is comfy as fuck. Warm inviting attractive.

Fallingwater is clearly the GOAT modern architecture. 80 years later and no one has done better.

1890s interiors with great woodwork

On a different note, what does Sup Forums think about structural expressionism?

And in detail

I've always found it to be comfy AF

Only house I've ever wanted to live in desu

you love neo-classical architecture.

it a pity what happened to this building

whole damn paris is great, but i find beaux arts utter garbage, and vienna is full of it.

this neo-baroque crap that is being renovated every 10 years, which is extremely costly. i live in one of those alt-bau buildings made in 1907, and i hate it so much. interior archtiecture is not for todays standards at all... i have hallway which is 1/3 of the whole flat, and in 2 rooms i made 2nd floor since i have no clue what to do with damn 4m ceilings.

steam punk's largest inspiration

(don't like this one)
totally agree

i would live in a block building without a problem

Agreed.

Prairie School is god-tier.

the only fucking good thing this buildings are for is these shitty tourists that come in pacts and spend their money on mozart related merch. but in fact they do not even spend that much. most money austria get of tourism is skiing, 1/3 proportion i think.

Soviet Brutalism

Like high-tech modernism? You'd like Lloyds of London and Pompidou centre then

>Detroit Central Station
feels every time.

is this african architecture?

How do you feel about the Olbrecht?

My favorite from the late-19th century is Louis Sullivan. He was the Master Yoda to Prairie School-Wright's awkward, flailing Empire-era Luke Skywalker.

>dark-age hovel

t. swedes are forestniggers

are you a KSAfag?

i mentioned it above
god-tier building

quite interesting, links about this? to lazy to google it on my own...

>He doesn't know about the simple life
I feel sorry for you, burger.

how did you know

>quite interesting, links about this? to lazy to google it on my own...

theworkofcastor.com/little-jons-cabin/

>Lloyd's
>Pompidou

I like Rogers's 90s-era stuff more

just worked on this house, German Village is comfy.

Nat?

Wow. I did not expect to see that in this thread.

I live in oak park, Illinois, the home of many Frank Loyd Wright houses, including his home and studio (pic related)

Sullivan did make some pretty awesome works of architectural art.

But I'm curious, what does Sup Forums think of Googie architecture?

fuck that fire escape

im a ksa oldfag

This house looks like a god damn iHome dock.

thanks

>windows not centered
:(

pic related
love this building

Beautiful. Pinnacle of human design.

>theworkofcastor.com/little-jons-cuck-shed/
fixed*

You from portage?

Good times. I ended up going somewhere else for grad school but i wish i stayed at KSA

looks like it's gonna fly away

sure thing jamal

European vs American architecture.

Just neck yourself, America.

>cherrypicked
still kek'd

The decay of America could use some work