Do yuo like modern architecture?

do yuo like modern architecture?

yes, because it puts the client's comfort and well being above aesthetic value and pointless obnoxious ornementations
picrel dream home

I want old-school log cabin.

For homes, yes. For other stuff, no.

pekka has good taste

Why not a yurt?

I'm with Finland on this one.

how many vitamin D pills do I need to take each day to live in this?

yes but only when it's applied properly, extreme minimalism of nordic modern architecture is just as awful as the excesses of American Mc. mansions.

this, log cabins are top tier homes

Nice. I love modern architecture that is designed to fit with its surroundings. The "traditional" home style isn't rational and is usually kind of ugly IMO.

Modern architecture can be done really good or really bad. There's a style in my area called Northwest Modern. Lots of exposed wood and concrete to fit in with evergreen trees and rocks.

Some, but IMHO it really only works when it's well integrated with the environment through extensive landscaping which makes it somewhat difficult/expensive to mantain.

More traditional styles of buildings may still look magnificent in overgrown jungle or even absent any vegetation in desert landscapes, the materials and techniques will also last far longer even without proper maintenace/upkeep. Modern architecture will look like shit in no time and requires heavy work to mantain.

No

It's a bit better than complete shit brutalist designs of the 60s, 70s and 80s, all of those buildings just need to be destroyed desu (I live in one now as it happens). Older architecture is much much better though.

Not particularity but I'd sure as fuck live in OPs pic

I've been reading mcmansionhell.com/ today, pretty horrific stuff.

Traditional buildings built with traditional materials require a lot of upkeep too. You should see people's mossy, rotted roof tiles where I live. Upkeep is more about the materials and construction quality, not the architectural style.

Most modern architecture does not have completely retarded things like shingles and slat siding, which are just asking for leaks.

>a brick falls on your head

looks vernacular

ornament is important

Brutalism done right looks pretty comfy.

Is that the Barbican? I still think it's shit desu. Miserable grey buildings on miserable grey London days. Surely we can do better than that, even if we can't change the weather.

I like those buildings in Lyon
I don't mind modern architecture as long as they are kept separate enough from the old districts

> he doesn't want to be surrounded by proto-cyberpunk brutalism
go live in a forest then you fucking hippy

No it's ugly as fuck

>go live in a forest then you fucking hippy

Literally the plan desu, just milking London for a few (((£££s))) before I can afford a comfy rural life.

yee, if it's good why not

disgusting

depends what you mean by "modern", you sure you're not talking about contemporary architecture?
I like modernism for the most part, everything after not so much

Is that designed to murder birds?

ewww favelas

absolutely nothing wrong with that.
same risk with a slab

uncultured pig

i have the same feeling for modern architecture like i have for modern art

Depends.

Good post.

Nope

Sometimes

Yes, no city can incorporate traditional values better into modern architecture than Berlin

i like it

>Brutalism done right looks pretty comfy.

Brutalism isn't inherently bad, but most architectural styles are done wrong 80% of the time. Brutalism is done wrong like 98% of the time.

As with every architectural style, modern architecture is good when it's well done, and not complete garbage dicerolled from random blocky elements to make a quick buck.

Pic related, white concrete bunkers are absolutely not the way to do it.

But when they get it right its fucking amazing

I like natural. I am nature. If it's natural I am home. If it's a concrete house fighting into natural environment very well I like it. If it looks like organic and blending in, with it the body works better, I like it. If it looks like a tumor I hate it. Same for city. A city is nature. If it fits in it's ok, but if it looks out of place with the surroundings it is not ok and I hate it. Tough question.

In a sense I like modern just because it is way more energy efficient than the prior ages just because technology has advanced so more modern means better in that sense... alone

This highly resembles some neo something something style though. I'm not an expert on names, but I know this red brick highrise style was already popular in the early 20th century.

>it's another "plebs still don't know the difference between "modern" and "contemporary" architecture" episode

Auto-correct doesn't really make this pile of shite of a reply any better imho.

You mean *modernist vs. contemporary perhaps?

If I were to live in a brutalist city/town, I would want all the buildings to be easy and safe to climb. Only then would I like it.

>sun in your face the entire day
>terrible heat retaining properties in winter unless you make the windows quadruple pane
>no privacy

>comfort

This is literally the opposite of comfort. It puts clean aesthetics above everything.

What's the difference?

Excellent post

>mfw i meant to post this one instead

>You mean *modernist vs. contemporary perhaps?

Doesn't matter.

There is a gulf of architectural theory and art-historical development between the Empire State Building and pic related, and yet the Empire State Building still counts as "modern architecture".

Some people refer to a specific style of art/architecture as modern(ist) while others use the terms modern and contemporary interchangeably meaning "of our age".

It clearly does matter since you don't get to call others idiots when you're the idiot in the room.

I wonder what the interior looks like.

Frank Gehry needs to be shot in the face.

You're talking different upkeep requirements, we're talking decades on properly done work with traditional as opposed to every few years, also the subproducts of slate weathering away aren't quite as harmful as modern paint formulations or concrete additives.

isn't going to last long in a marine environment looking good. Stuff like doesn't look that good upclose and it's going to take a lot of paint and plaster over the years. So more intense/wasteful maintenance requirements in exchange for spaces which generally don't look as good all for what? Much cheaper construction costs upfront? Architecture is starting to become as disposable as consumer goods, and what the fuck are we going to do with brutalism once it's dated and corroded? Do you think those buildings will last the centuries their counterparts up until the 19th century-early 20th would have?

Not the shit they are building over here.

How is that appealing in any way?

Doesn't happen as good as in the pic everywhere.

>muh white walls
>muh right angles
>muh knock down the wall between the living room and the kitchen

no I don't

>knock down the wall between the living room and the kitchen
this meme is already dead

Modern "architecture"

I expect life in that is fucking dire

jeg vet
jaevla

i'm an architecture enthusiast but not a complete illiterate.
These kinds of reinforce concrete walls are being used a lot in new constructions, and as long as common sense goes I think they are both resistant and need little to none upkeep.
Does it mean that today's architects think that their buildings will be future-proof or is it just a popular fad to incorporate the industrial look to residential housing?

>not knocking down every wall apart from the bathroom
And by wall I mean only being able to afford a one room apartment in the first place but you can pretend to do it on purpose because of the tiny home movement.