Worse than the Star Wars prequels

Worse than the Star Wars prequels.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xeeZx2GB9qs
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

From my point of view the Star Wars prequels are worse.

Without question. At least the prequels had redeeming qualities and opened up the Star Wars universe in some great ways - whether it be planets, characters, action scenes, and some story lines.

The Hobbit films did nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=xeeZx2GB9qs

The hobbit trilogy is tragic
The first movie was alright, second was a little bad, third was one of the worst things I've ever fully sat through
Fucking painful, felt like a student essay dragged out to meet a word count

also that "muh treasureeees" thing in the third movie was so unsubtle and in your face it set me off

A Phantom Menace > An Unexpected Journey > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones > Desolation of Smaug > Battle of the Five Armies

Honestly, out of all the shit that came out of the Hobbit trilogy, that wasn't so bad.

YELLOW
GREEN
GREY
BLUE

I thoroughly enjoyed Desolation of Smaug. I saw it 4 times in theaters.

underrated post

Basically this

No

Do you have brain damage?

WRONG. At least the Hobbit movies had heart and good acting

What redeeming qualities did the prequels have? What new and memorable story line or character did they introduce?

I do agree with the part about the Hobbit though.

I'll have to admit these were pretty bad. It seemed to me a failed attempt to capture what made the original Lord of the Rings trilogy so great.

First time I've ever seen that, fucking awful.

Part 1 and Part 2 were shaky but turned out to be good enough

Part 3 was certainly the defining chapter as it was make or break for the entire project. A decent ending would have made the whole affair worth it and reflected well on the first 2. As it happened part 3 was one of the worst things to ever be produced in cinematic history and reflects very poorly on the first 2 parts, which made the entire affair a total catastrophe and huge waste of everyone's time and money

Most of the overding Star Wars Mythos actually derives from things established in or related to the prequels. The original trilogy is actually quite light in the world building department.

They brought a lot of new, fresh stuff into the Star Wars universe. They have adventure, humor, iconic scenes. There's Ewan McGregor, there's Darth Maul and Christopher Lee, Padme looking super hot, hammy Sheev scenes, there's a lot to go on.

Yoda fighting. Also Coruscant was a genuinely cool new planet.

I'm still stunned the managed to stretch out an innocent little fore-story to the LOTR universe, mostly aimed at kids, into a 3-film epic darker than the first series...

It was Godawful.

I watched all four Hunger Games movies and they were even shittier than the Hobbit trilogy

The LOTR trilogy actually wasn't great altogether, although FOTR was.

The prequels do have redeeming qualities but Yoda fighting was so utterly shit that it almost ruins the whole trilogy by itself. The duel between Yoda and Sheev is so laughable that I cannot even think about it with a straight face.

I still think someone with proper skills, not some internet autist, would be able to edit together all three to make a good one or two parter. There's enough material to work with and manipulate.

They botched key scenes like Smaug's death (the retarded father-son-ballista), Smaug flying to Laketown (with the molten gold lake shit) and the fellowship getting lost in the goblin tunnels and fighting their way out. No edit can redeem those wrongs.

I disagree. These are still competent flicks. Not very good ones, but they're entertaining. Peter Jackson knows how to make a movie. George Lucas does not.

>Revenge of the Sith's labyrinthine opening shot—of Anakin and Obi-Wan giving chase to Dooku through the space vehicles on the planet of Coruscant—is a mighty and audacious gauntlet-throw, the digital equivalent of the opening shot of Orson Welles’s “Touch of Evil." It wheels and gyrates and zips and pivots with a vertiginous wonder that declares, from the beginning, that Lucas had big visual ideas and was about to realize them with a heroically inventive virtuosity. And the rest of the movie follows through on that self-dare.

>If I had seen ROTS in a theatre upon its release, in 2005, I think that, at the moment when Sheev, sizzling in the blue lightning that Mace Windu reflects back at him, cries out to Anakin, “Power! Unlimited Power!,” I would have leaped out of my seat yelling with excitement. The entire movie is filled with an absolute splendor of the pulp sublime, and that moment is its very apogee. Lucas reaches historic heights in the filming of action: the martial artistry of Anakin and Obi-Wan’s double duel versus Dooku, the gaping maw of outer space and of the airshaft into which the heroic duo drops, Obi-Wan’s light-sabre fight with the four-armed Grievous, and, above all, the apocalyptic inferno of the confrontation of Obi-Wan and Anakin. I watched these sequences over and was repeatedly and unflaggingly amazed by Lucas’s precise, dynamic, wildly imaginative direction.

>The scripted politics of the conflicts have a grand imagination to match. What Lucas brings to the script of the movie is a Shakespearean backroom dialectic of power-maneuvering. The dialogue is just heightened and sententious enough, just sufficiently rhetorical, to convey the grave moment of ideas in conflict and the grand mortal results of that dialectical clash—the making of a villain and the unmaking of a republic.

>Redeeming

>Yoda fighting.

The real problem with the Hobbit films isn't just that they're long, droll and soulless (they are), but also the way that they raped the source material.

Tolkien fans tend to shitpost about how terrible the LOTR films are, how Tolkien is spinning in his grave etc., but deep down everyone knows that they're competent, if pragmatic adaptations. Some of the liberties taken (elves at Helm's Deep, introducing Faramir as a bad guy when he's supposed to be the ultimate pureboi) were a little off-putting, but all were done to make the story work better as a *film*, usually to success.

The Hobbit movies on the other hand were stretched out goatse-style, their asscrack filled with dazzling material that served no narrative purpose whatsoever from reviving Azog to give us a new villain, flying in Radagast from LOTR despite him being absent from those movies, shoehorning in Legolas for more brand recognition, showing Gandalf's adventure in Dol Guldur onscreen just as an excuse to bring in Galadriel, Saruman and the Nazgul, etc. ad nauseum. None of this served any purpose other than to fill time and it was obviously done at the behest of the execs. These movies were clearly focus-grouped to hell and back which is something you just can't do with the legendarium.

The result is something a little worse than a bad movie: three utterly undignified movies which are supposed to be the filmic equivalents of a literary classic.

Tolkien is literally spinning in his grave over the Hobbit films.

Richard Brody is the white Armond White, he's not worth listening to

he just wrote that review so he could feel smarter than everyone else because "tee hee I hate the Star Wars movies everyone likes and love the ones they hate, I'm sooooooooooo smart!"

Nah, the first 2 are still decent. Not nearly as good as LoTR, but were acceptable in the LoTR film universe. The 3rd one was really bad, but has nothing on how bad the Phantom Menace and Attack of The Clones were, and was still notably better than Revenge of The Sith

Bendydick Cuminhersnatch was a good voice for Smaug.

Other than that, nearly every good actor in the trilogy was wasted on terrible filming conditions like this , thrown onto a greenscreen and reading from a script that was hastily written a few weeks prior.

Watch the making-of documentary for BoFA and it begins to make sense. For LOTR, the crew had three whole years of pre-production alone which were mostly spent making the props. Contrast the Hobbit where everything was cobbled together at the last minute. Hell, Jackson originally wanted to do a two-film series and only made it a trilogy because the execs forced him to.

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

The LOTR films were massive achievements in imagination and practical effects that revolutionized fantasy cinema the same way that their literary equivalents transformed fantasy fiction. The Hobbit films are a love letter to the green screen and Hollywood bootlicking.

It's actually a great analogy for the Star Wars original trilogy and prequels, only the Hobbit films are infinitely more soulless than the prequels.

All movies are worse than the prequels, my reddit friend

>Reply
I agree.

Yes now count to 10

As meme as this post is I have to agree that the opening scene is god tier

Look at it this way. You are far more likely to watch the Star Wars prequels in the near future than the Hobbit trilogy. Don't even deny it. And I say this as a Tolkienfag.

As much as I hate the autists who flip out over 'not respecting the source material', the only thing that was going through my mind while watching the Hobbit movies was the incredible speed at which Tolkien's corpse must have been rotating underneath the ground at Wolvercote Cemetery

It's a shame Galadriel didn't riverdance there like she did in LOTR

I didn't even care about it being made into 3: the more time in Middle Earth the better. But I lost interest as soon as I saw that the main villain would be a PS1 cutscene CGI character that doesn't speak English. The orcs ruined the whole film for me. Also fuck dwarves that look like Aragorn and fuck elves fucking dwarves.

I could just about hack Kili being a beardlet, but Thorin? Inexcusable

Also the unnecessary references to the LOTR trilogy were really grating. Legolas had no right to be in it

>hobbit thread

fuck yes

Can't imagine how stupid this must have looked in 60fps

Controversial opinion ahead, last warning to turn back!!!:

An Unexpected Journey is on par with the LotR trilogy and the only bad part is the Goblin Town escape

Loos good 2bh

It's definitely the best in the trilogy

The troll scene and the Gollum scene were kino