NETFLIX changing user review system after Amy Schumer bashing

>After years of allowing customers to rank movies on a scale of 1-to-5 stars, the streaming service announced plans to replace that system with a binary “thumbs up vs. thumbs down” rating. Soon one-star ratings will cease to be a thing on Netflix

wow what a bunch of cucks, time to cancel my subscription I guess

ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/netflix-star-ratings/

>muh lennials

Netflix has ratings?

yeah

have they not seen the thumbs up/thumbs down ratings on Youtube for her special on their own youtube channel? Its not going to change the hate that woman (rightfully) gets.

Soon enough they will probably just stop allowing user reviews.

This.

Am I the only one that actually thought the show was légitimité crap?

Or not let yourself be triggered by bullshit.
This is one of the most hilarious first world problems I've seen.

Nope, it was pretty terrible. I think when she talks about being the biggest female comedian she is disrespecting plenty of other women who do a waaaaaaaaaaay better job.

>totally unbridled hilarity

that can only be said about the comment section

must be nice to a woman so you can blame how shitty your show is on "trolls" instead of accepting maybe you just made a shitty show

>must be nice to a [anything other than white male] so you can blame how shitty your [X] is on "trolls" instead of accepting maybe you just made a shitty [X]

Wouldn't be surprised, they already got rid of the 'not interested' button so you can't make things go away if you don't want to have them suggested anymore. Not like it's a service I'm paying for that i should be able to have the slightest control over

Honestly, let's not pretend that any group avoids the victim card. How many threads are there claiming the only thing critics hate about Iron Fist is the white male lead? Anybody who tries to weasel out of legitimate criticism deserves mockery.

Netflix has more accurate ratings than Neilson.

That isn't going to help though since all they're going to do is thumbs down the shit out of stuff like Amy Shumer, you can only hide people's anger without outright lying

I've had the thumbs thing on my Netflix for ages now, I didn't realize it wasn't a nation wide thing

So they're just doing the Youtube thing? Seems pointless, but whatever. We can't let those trolls win or whatever, I dunno. This is all so tiresome.

Different, but not necessarily better. It certainly skews younger, so probably a more accurate stab at how the average user will perceive it. Nielsen makes a pretty concerted effort to get its demographics accurate to the population.

i have never rated anything on netflix and never pay attention to the ratings others give because everyone has shit taste tbqh

Remember when they switched out Twitter's stars for hearts? Social media is all one big singularity whirlpool as they all converge into one.

>cant harass woman anymore
>time to cancel my service that I pay for

lel

Can't you just spam thumbs downs?

This

new things added this week
>>oh boy!
% of it is foreign language comedies in like Bulgarian or Korean or some shit

Thanks Netflix

>wow what a bunch of cucks, time to cancel my subscription I guess
why didn't you do it years ago?

That special was so bad even my girlfriend and her roommate that claim to like Amy Schumer turned it off. It was just "Dude my pussy stinks! LOL" for the first 10 minutes.

>Direct content user data is less accurate than sampling

kys

>paying for censorship
Have fun buddy

Isn't that her fanbase though? Isn't she friends with Lena Grave in pussy Burnedham

>being censored by a video streaming service

Ffs, how much sway does this hamplanet have?
So now we get to thumbs down her turd of a special. Cool.

>you were born just in time to watch faceless corporations roll out their pan-global autocracy

in a couple of decades watching the latest political-conforming standup will be compulsory; a decade after that you will be required to laugh at no fewer than 30 percent of jokes with at least a 5 percent uproar coefficient

Why would you even care about user ratings?

She is related to the current democrats big man charle Schumer

>STOP HATING THINGS WE TELL YOU TO LOVE!

>Men get to live in milking caves

Why? I thought the rating system on Netflix changed a while back and isn't based on overall consensus but on your ratings from the past and Netflix offering you suggestions of what you'd like.

Or have they changed it AGAIN? I'm very confused at this point.

You retards

Netflix rankings are individualized. The star system is based on an algorithm that looks at what you watch and how you rank shows, and ranks similar shows accordingly. The rankings that YOU see are completely different from the rankings that other people see.

Sup Forums is so full of ill-informed, reactionary idiots

>we
you pay for netflix?

fuck off reddit

Man, the second I get done watching the Dave Chappelle specials I am dropping THE FUCK out of my subscription.

Shit b8.

You're arguing against yourself. No one is debating what their ranking system displays to you. And it doesn't negate the fact that you can rate individual titles, which they are now taking away. Retard.

And you won't be able to give it as much information now you retard

>How many threads are there claiming the only thing critics hate about Iron Fist is the white male lead?
youre delusional

I do, or else I wouldn't give a fuck about this thread.

It's more accurate for its demographic sure, but I doubt it's significantly more accurate for the general population.

and all of this has nothing to do with Schumer

I wish you were a little more embarrassed by how easily b8d you are.

I called your b8 out though son.

Who is also a jew!

You got b8d by OP and this clickbait article into thinking this change had to do with Schumer and SJWs. That makes zero sense if you actually understand how the rating system works.

Are you ashamed by how gullible you are? Or are you going to backpedal and pretend like it never tricked you in the first place, thus preserving your fragile self-image.

>instead of one star people will now just give it a thumbs down.

>fat bitch gets blown out in ratings
>the next day they do away with ratings

Nothing to see here goy, it was pure coincidence

well she isnt funny stupid fat landwhale

>using plebs' ratings to decipher what you watch

No one was baited

The OP and the title were factual and didn't even mention amy schumer

Just go to pol if you are so obsessed winh it you paranoid redditor

>Content provider has incredibly accurate data on what its users watches

Who the fuck cares about the general population? Quit backpedaling you dickhead.

>No one was baited
see

Nice argument, cuck

Same shit happened with Youtube.

It's only going to damage the system they have in place. It's meant to recommend things to individual customers.

Instead of having some shows or movies that show say 3/5 stars it's just going to have a big thing that say's "you're not going to like this shit" even though I might actually like it to some degree.

How am I backpedalling? I said from the beginning that its ratings would skew younger while Nielsens would better reflect a more balanced demographic.

This. There has been tons of content on Netflix that has received nothing but bad reviews, but once it's a fat hog squeezing herself into a too-small leather outfit and talking about how it makes her feel "strong and powerful" god forbid people don't find it endearing and the greatest special since Eddie Murphyy's Raw! The SJW cucks at Netflix are sticking up for the fat bitch by doing this.

The general population doesn't all have Netflix, you mongoloid. What matters is the paying Netflix customers and what THEY watch/rate.

Uh, yeah, exactly. So why would we generalize Netflix's ratings as more accurate than Nielsen's?

Why, what's wrong with you?

It's just going to polarize things that much more. At least before I could watch something and it kind of gives you an idea that "hey I might like that somewhat." I've given plenty of 3/5 stars and 4/5 stars.

Thumbs up/thumbs down is not a very good system and doesn't recommend things well at all in this day and age of exactly what's in the OP. Way to fuck your perfectly good system.

I don't conform to the "let's disconnect Netflix cause we get triggered by idiots" meme that's so popular these days.

>why would we generalize Netflix's ratings as more accurate than Nielsen's?
Because Netflix measures a very specific group and Neilson only guesses based on a broad sample of people.

So it's a more accurate measure for that group of people, but not more accurate in general. Which is what I've been saying.

Netflix should have done this a long time ago for their own sake.
They want to obfuscate their low quality content.

Not everything can be amazing. Original shows and all the stand up specials, there are going to be duds.
This is straight up bad publicity that Schumers special is bad for business.
Before even watching it, its given people who havent watched it yet an expectation that its going to be shit.

Netflix going in favor of less volume of outside content for higher quality original content, its really bad for viewers to think "Wow that was shit" after watching a Netflix original.
If news hadnt broke about the ratings, there would have inevitably been some people who thought to themselves that it was simply "meh" instead of following along with the "its shit" crowd.

What if another one or two specials coming from any of the comedians are equally bad?
Without a star rating and just the thumbs up thumbs down, it looks much better on paper.

You dont want people to start looking down on your original content for any reason.
Nipping it in the bud

Save your breadth, do you really expect the typical Sup Forums poster to understand quantitative methods?

Reminder that this board likes to mock making purchases/subscriptions for legal services while at the same has been shown to be completely inept at using fucking torrents.

>I don't conform
>I use netflix
pick one

I have never had a Netflix subscription in my life.
Am I missing anything?

no

But wouldn't a lot of people who ignored the special or anything on Netflix due to it having one star rating wouldn't they still ignore if it had a lot of thumbs down? Changing the rating system means nothing.

Extrapolation of data is not an accurate system in comparison to direct receipt of data. There's no refuting this.

Let's be honest, everybody rates either 1 star or 5 star anyway. It's why youtube switched their systems years ago.

Your data is limited in its scope. Explain to me how it's more accurate in general. Not to mention, at the numbers Nielsen is sampling, the margin of error is pretty damn slim.

>150,000 thumbs down
>better than 1 star

fuck no, you can watch anything you want for free.

But the article says Netflix had already tested the system a year ago, and is only now implementing it.

This just reminded me to cancel my subscription

I also drive a car, use a toothbrush, and take a shit regularly.
Its selective conformity.

Why do youngfags assume everyone thinks and behaves the same way they do?

UNCLE CHUCK TO THE RESCUE

good on you, stolen passwords aren't that hard to find anyway

There are so many places online, just as easy to use with 100x the content for free, why use that shit user?

You are only going to thumbs down stuff you explicitly hate
If you are meh on something, you dont rate it or you put thumbs up as "I didnt hate it"

It's still a shit idea but as stated it was in their best interests anyway.

Very, very few of Netflix's actual original programming is any good at all.

Most of the good of the "original" programming is bought off of others. I'm getting into Peaky Blinders now coming off of Taboo but it's still BBC that made it. Same thing with Trailer Park Boys. Same thing with Arrested Development. Same thing with Portlandia.

The only thing that's original from them that I liked as House of Cards and Narcos. That's it.

Literally just have friends

Just like the President then?

The productions that become netflix exclusives give up all back end. There was a hollywood reporter's roundtable about it. That means netflix has to pay the creators all upfront.

>let's say you have a great series that will have home media and syndication sales
You would not sign with netflix, as you have the confidence that you will gain long tail revenue

>let's say you know your product is shit, or it will have a hard time staying on the air
Then you go to netflix. Adam Sandler (4 flicks for ~$250 million) is the prime example of this. Marvel is doing the netflix thing since disney still gets to keep the theatrical movie rights to the character. And disney knows that iron fist would not hold an audience necessary to stay on network.

So, due to the business model, netflix will have either shit, or shows that will plateau with a very small audience.

That actually explains a lot of the narrative differences in netflix originals. Are they giving up the entire IP, do you know? Merchandising and all?

Why don't they just do what imdb has been doing for years? 1 and 10 star reviews are weighted less.

Yeah, plus I barely use it, waste of money that goes to garbage programming and other nonsense.

>NETFLIX changing user review system
I don't care.

so itll be like youtube

but will it show the count of either up or down, like youtube?