Messi in his 30s

What kind of player will he become? How will he reinvent himself?

Other urls found in this thread:

skysports.com/football/news/11095/10242286/ifab-anounces-law-changes-softening-rules-on-fouls-in-the-penalty-area
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably play a lot more in the deep-lying playmaker role than as a winger or striker.

Pace is one of the first things to go with age.

>reinvent himself

he does whatever he wants, and since he does everything there is no need to change

he's already a lazy piece of shit who doesn't run and makes 1-2 good passes per game
can't get much more lethargic than that

He's already lost plenty of pace and stamina, yet still plays as a forward. I suspect he might be letting his ego and his rivalry with Ronaldo get in the way of what's best for his team.

He's not gonna change much imo. Speed or acceleration isn't his best strenght. With decent training he can keep his agility needed for dribbling. His passing and shooting can only be better with age (even tho it's near perfect atm). Without serious injuries I can see him making fools out of defenders in his late 30's.

Agreed. I don't get that joy out of watching Messi anymore.

He's still a very good player, but I don't think playing as a forward is best for him or his team. He should move backward and become a midfielder. Concentrate on controlling rather than scoring.

Quality coming from a Dutch (or Moroccan or whatever you are)

Cruyff on how to win. "Don't run so much. Football is a game you play with your brains."

Cruyff on running: "a footballer has to run as little as possible,because the more tired he gets, the worse his technique will be"

Messi is extremely lazy though. And he never runs off the ball. He only wants the ball at his feet.
Also even though Cruyff is right, I think running makes the game more exciting to watch.

Keep in mind he's better at scoring then any other player in Barca's squad. As a manager I would never let him play somwhere far from goal because everytime he's near the 16m line he's danger, like it or not.

Good point. But it could be that Barca doesn't buy forwards because Messi insists on playing as one.
>As a manager I would never let him play somwhere far from goal because everytime he's near the 16m line he's danger, like it or not.
He's equally as dangerous when he's far from goal though. Playing far from goal just gives him time and space to pass and dribble. Imo he has the ability to become Barca's new Xavi. But he has to change his mentality. Right now his mentality is all about going forward. At all times. Can't play like that as a midfielder. But he has to forget about the goals first.

he will become the new "xavi" if there are players better than him at finishing. Suarez is shit, and there is no one else better than Suarez available.

well, your not wrong

>Become the new Xavi
Guys who say shit like this are retarded. Messi isn't a midfielder. The further away from goal he is the the worst it is for Barcelona

I hope so. I'm hearing that they're looking to buy griezmann. If true, it could very well means Messi would be moving to midfield. It would be very exciting to watch I think.

>has great vision technique passing dribbling distance shooting
>not a midfielder

Abilities and positions aren't the same.

>100% shot accuracy
>two successful tackles
>49 passes (Modric had 51)
>10 duels won
>9 chances created (the same as Kroos, Modric, and Marcelo combined)
>1 goal
>1 assist with a missing boot
>gets a perfect 10.0 rating
>3-0 and 14 points clear of Real Madrid
>all while walking 83% of the time

wow, maybe he is too smart for the sport

Oh yes that's why you never see someone like Dani alves play in multiple positions sometimes during the same match as a defender midfielder or forward. After all he also has great vision technique passing dribbling distance shooting. But no he only ever plays in 1 position as a right back. Clearly abilities and positions aren't the same.

Barca was lucky to win that match. Especially at that scoreline. Real imo was the better team. They seemed almost arrogant in the way they play vs barca. I was surprised because I didn't know what the table looked like when I was watching the game. Is real concentrating on the CL or something? Why are they trailing by so much to a worse team?

Yeah the better team often losses 0-3 don't they

The red card and penalty killed the game. Also real's defending.

So are you going to try and argue they didn't deserve the red card and penalty?

Yes I think a penalty and yellow would have been fair.

Really? A blatant hand ball that the defender wasn't even trying to plead a case should have been a yellow? Not to mention that Ramos very easily could have been given a red as well

Messi doesen't run 10km's per game like Xavi did and his defending skills are limited, something EVERY midfielder has to do.

Messi can easly be a midfielder, but he's better in the forward.

>a blatant handball interfering with a goal going in is not a straight red even though it's in the laws of the game
You're absolutely fucking retarded but then again, you love sucking Homonaldo cock so this isn't a surprise.

Sometimes in high stress situation instinct takes over and you just can't help it. Imo referee should concentrate less on reading the rule books and concentrate more on being a human. A penalty AND a red card is much too harsh for that foul and it killed the spectacle.
>Messi doesen't run 10km's per game like Xavi did
Yes true but most of Xavi's running was low intensity. I would like to see him give it a try.
>his defending skills are limited, something EVERY midfielder has to do.
David Silva, Iniesta both play in midfield and they have limited defending skills. I'm sure there are many more examples that I can't think of right now.

No, it's clear that the defender did it on purpose. Its the same thing as Suarez did in the world cup. Take the penalty and hope they miss. Stop being retarded

Forgot to quote you in my post above. Also calm down amerifat. You might risk a heart attack.

Even if he did it on purpose a red card and a penalty is still too harsh. They really should change that rule.

No, they shouldn't. Handball is going to be a red always. They only reason you think this way is because it's against Real Madrid. Don't cheat and there's no problem

>was a better team
not this season though, real pressed high the whole first half and I think they planned to shut the game down by then but they weren't clinical enough. Second half they looked lethargic specially their fall backs couldn't even bother tracking back during the first two goals. Barca won due to their solid defence and soaked the pressure during the first half though Ronald and Benz not being clinical could be considered lucky but really that was it. Barca attacked and opened Real more times than their opposition in the second half. In the end the team that was more efficient won.

Lol please stop making assumptions. Why should handball always be a red card? It certainly doesn't help me as a spectator to have the game be killed off after 60 minutes.
I was very surprised at the first goal. The way real's midfield line was so easily bypassed without any resistance. I don't know if it was tiredness or lazyness or lack of awareness, but it was comical and I could see the goal coming from miles away. They were still pretty good at attacking even with 10 men though. Benzema was invisible. Real should really buy a new forward.

>Why should handball always be a red card?
Because you're cheating and you stopped a goal from happening. When you're in a low volume sport that's a critical moment

>Because you're cheating and you stopped a goal from happening. When you're in a low volume sport that's a critical moment
A red card is also a critical moment. You already get your chance to score again with the penalty. That's fair. Sending a player off and making it 11 vs 10 on top of the penalty is not fair.

Fouls inside the box are always going to be a red + penalty. Why is a handball different?

>Fouls inside the box are always going to be a red + penalty
Why should it always be a red and a penalty?
Also
skysports.com/football/news/11095/10242286/ifab-anounces-law-changes-softening-rules-on-fouls-in-the-penalty-area

Because there needs to be a punishment for doing something wrong. A handball in that situation isn't a punishment; the defender took away what would have been a goal and so the penalty is merely giving the team a chance to get that goal back. The punishment is the red card. If anything the argument for penalty + red should be stronger in this situation

The punishment should be a yellow card. Why does it have to be red?

Because a yellow is a slap on a wrist. If it's a red then the punishment will actually hold weight

I actually don't think he feels much pressure from the rivalry.
I could be completely wrong, and it could just because of their
complete opposite personalities, but to me, Messi doesn't seem
like he gives a fuck about the comparison to him and Ronaldo.

It's a game of football. Should we hang him afterward too?
Yes Messi is actually above all human emotions

No, we should give them a red card

who cares

I think you're running out of ideas. Are you sure you're not a Messi fan boy?

I think the rule book is fair. You're the one who thinks cheating isn't all that bad

Messi is the ultimate autistic hero.

He will drop into midfield and become a playmaker once his burst of acceleration has gone

It's already gone

yeah, he's really losing his goalscoring touch...

>His burst of acceleration is gone
>Fastest player in an El Clásico that le pacy doped mong played
Unleash the thoughts

What's scarier is that this is old man Messi. Prime Messi 2010-2012 would put up even more ridiculous numbers that no one can touch unless they statpad every game like Ronaldo does.

What good does it do if he can only do it once every 45 minute and has to rest 10 minutes afterward?

>walks 85% of game time
>still thoroughly dominates the sport

truly the goat

He's old and has been sprinting nonstop since his youth. Only a retard would hold his age and physical limits against a player like Messi.

>all these pacebabies

Stop watching the PL

have you watched him in the last 3/4 years? hes nothing like when he was younger

he already drops super deep, i wouldnt think his game will change much from what it is now

I'm not holding anything against him. Him losing his acceleration and stamina is just a fact.
He's dropped deeper and doesn't run as much, but he still plays as a forward. Which means someone faster and can run longer, someone who's better suited to being a forward isn't playing there. Imo he should try playing as a midfielder, in front of the other team's midfield line. And concentrate on controlling the game from deep. It would free up a spot in the forward line for someone like griezmann.

Agent Orange really did a number on you huh?

>being fast makes you a good forward
No need to expose yourself as an epl baby

I don't have anything to reply to these posts. But I'll mention something else. Messi's movement right now is all backward. We're used to Messi dropping deep. Whereas before, after dropping deep he would still have the speed to race forward again, catching the defender off. Now he's only ever moving backward. Without that acceleration and the fact he can only sprint once every 45 minute means he's useless when moving this way.
If he was playing as a midfielder, it would actually give him more opportunities to run forward. Do what Xavi used to do. Late runs off the ball behind the midfield line. Plus he will have all the time and space to dribble. It would actually make Messi fun to watch again.

>but it's against my team halal madrid please no more red cards because we are going directly against the stated rules and spirit of the game (FOOTball) to deny an opponent a goal and that is fine
shouldn't let third worlders post here, it's always cringe about madrid or ronaldo

vermaelen had a great game, deserves a point higher

Xavi pulled the strings from the midfield and controlled the entire tempo of the game, i don't think messi has this trait. Being a midfielder is not about doing 50m long passes.

Intentional handball in the own area is always red card, there is no contest

>Intentional handball in the own area is always red card, there is no contest
Say some old farts who literally made up these rules out of thin air a hundred years ago. Do you even know who wrote the rules? Yes he will have to change his mentality and forget about the goals. Can he do that whislt Ronaldo is statpadding his way to another balloon door? It's pretty tough.

Dude, you don't have to know who wrote the rules, you just simply follow them, that's how you play organized sports.

If the rule is retarded then it should be changed.

Moreover, all the original rules for a game are just made up from the ass of some dudes that wanted to play, your argument makes no sense

Probably, and if you convince enough people it will be changed. But by now, the rule is a red card, and that's how the game will stay until further decision

PLEASE RETIRE *CLAP* *CLAP* *CLAP* PLEASE RETIRE *CLAP* *CLAP* *CLAP* PLEASE RETIRE *CLAP* *CLAP* *CLAP*

I believe the rule is about intentional handball. Imo you can make a case that handball was not intentional.
Anyway I talked about how referees should be more human in an earlier post. Referee plays such an important role in the game. I notice whenever a referee is too strict and follows the book too closely, basically being a fucking robot, that the game always suffers.

Are you really saying *that* was not intentional? The guy literally threw himself to deflect the ball. And about the referees, I think their job is to follow the rules and nothing else, but that's only my opinion

Which handball? Carvajal's? Are you actually serious or just baiting? He pretty much acted like a goalkeeper to stop the ball. If that one isn't intentional then wtf is an intentional handball to you?

He won’t reinvent himself. He’s done. It’s all downhill from here.

>says increasingly nervous penaldo fan for the fourth consecutive season

Are you guys gonna be sad when he retires? He’s basically been playing since you guys got into the sport, won’t you feel the least bit sad to see his career start from young phenom to legend to retirement?

Football already doesn't feel the same without Xavi. When Messi and Iniesta retire I quit watching this semen slurping fest

Goals is all that this semen slurping sport has reduced to. I would love to see a midfielder or a defender in the FIFA Best nominations desu.