Trucking Driving

Has anyone fallen for the truck driving meme? I heard you can make $70k starting, and that there is a huge shortage of drivers so they'll hire pretty much anyone.

Seems like a perfect way to escape NEETdom

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lDyi9Yipt7c
portofoakland.com/port/seaport/comprehensive-truck-management-program/clean-trucks/resources/
youtube.com/watch?v=D5_wnbqktAE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You'll be replaced by a computer by the turn of the decade.

>$70k starting

That's total bullshit. Please come visit us on our /o/ thread.

Also is right. Anything that has to do with driving is a dying job. Don't settle for any retail shit either. Better off becoming something useful like a plumber or a welder.

>mfw my fork lifting job i did to pay for university has been replaced by automation

The robot revolution is going to hurt young males more than anything

watch this video and cry youtube.com/watch?v=lDyi9Yipt7c

remember your center of gravity

some dip shit flew off the third level, his trailer landed on the second level the frame landed on the divider on level two and the cabin was on ground level

truck driver here. like any trade you start at the bottom. i got my CDL through CRST. 8 months driving for them and some paycheck deductions and i had my CDL more or less free. Started at $.23 a mile. most places you go to offer 40-50 cents per mile. Local jobs vary.

Sure you make 70k but your cost of operating your truck is excessively high and you'll be blowing upwards of 50 percent to of your wages up keeping your fucking truck alone

Ok, so turn of the decade you can either have been a truck driver for a few years, made some money, and gained some experience. Or you could have spent those few years shitposting in your cuckshed.

Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?

Yeah my dad used to do this until third worlders drove the driving price down. The only way to make decent money is dangerous loads such as explosives or team driving where you take turns.

I'm on track to make a little over 60k this year. Not starting, gonna take a few years for that.

>Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?
If you drive a company truck you make virtually nothing. Own your own truck and you'll make tons more but you'll pay for upkeep on your truck

You should get into hauling campers user. You only haul one way and instead of a big semi you just drive a regular dually truck. I make $1.60 a mile to haul RV's.

>Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?

Did you think you were going to make big bucks just driving around? Like a deliveryman? Being a trucker is more like owning a very small business. The driving is a somewhat small part of it, you've got to manage your margins carefully to actually milk money out of it.

So only do it temporarily? Even if you only do it for 3 years, that's 210,000$. Enough to pay for college all up front plus several years rent

>Even if you only do it for 3 years, that's 210,000$

You're like 16 or something, right

I worked intermodal trucking dispatch for a number of years. 90% of truckers are the absolute scum of the earth, 10% are the coolest guys you'll ever meet. Good riddance to the industry I say.

>Really? Company doesn't even provide you with a truck?
Nope. You buy whatever you can afford. Good news is that they drive for over a million miles so there are plenty of used ones.

Long haul trucker here shitposting from my sleeper. Does working 14 to 24 hours a day and having literally no days off sound fun? For me it was either make 25k working at a furniture store or 50k driving a truck. If you're smart go become an electrical engineer. If you're not that smart become an electrician.

>Good news is that they drive for over a million miles so there are plenty of used ones.

bad news is some places are total nazis about them and if your truck isn't new enough you wont be able to work in some areas in California for example because of emissions stuff
for example
portofoakland.com/port/seaport/comprehensive-truck-management-program/clean-trucks/resources/

It will be fun for the first few weeks as you see cities you've never seen before.

But I imagine the lifestyle of living in motels and gas station rest stops probably becomes depressing as fuck eventually.

Honestly if i didnt have a family i prob would. Its a nice way to see all of America. And im pretty sure of you own your own truck you can make several hundred thousand a year

how bad was CRST?

>tfw I have bulging lumbar discs and extended driving makes me a cripple
I can still find a trade, r-right?...

Best job ever ,
driving a Scania V8 trough europe like a badass

youtube.com/watch?v=D5_wnbqktAE

Cousin is a trucker. Makes under 60k a year, after upkeep with his truck and such. And he's never around, naturally.

I fell for the cyber security meme. Already got a job lined up for when I finish my studies. 75k starting.

ITT: Naive 17 year olds

why are truckers such cunts?

i'm a security guard, stuck in a shack outside a warehouse. when a truck arrives, i have to jot down all their information (.e.g appointment number, driver license, trailer/tractor numbers, license plates, etc), then check their bill of lading and seals when they leave.

sounds like a simple and chill job, right? nope.

1 out 5 truckers is always a massive dick on some way. they get pissed if i take their driver license number. they get pissed if they have to wait 10 minutes. i've been close to getting into fist fights.

it's a pretty good job, but getting in accidents sucks. they suspend you and shit. 3 strikes and your out basically depending on how bad they are. also, can't drink as much as you used to. golden age is kind of over expect for the fact that there is a lot of freight to be moved thanks to online retail

Dem lot lizards doe

I work the DMV can second this. They think they are hardened badass cowboys or something.

I usually just look right at them and tell them they're going to listen to my instructions and answer my questions or they will leave empty handed.

kek, my cousin hasn't even been doing it 5 years and he's a massive fatfuck from truck stops

Whatever salary you make now, becoming a truck driver is risky for your financial future because autonomous rigs will make you obsolete soon.

In my country at least it is still a very blue collar occupation, average salary is about 50k a year. I like the idea of being a truck driver though because I am a loner and I enjoy experimenting with stimulants.

I don't think this will happen soon. Truck drivers are trained to perform any maintenance necessary to keep the rig going on a delivery. Robots are not sophisticated enough yet to perform this role.

I almost did, but when I found out they wanted me to drive all the way towards the CA-Mexico border just to take a year of classes (essentially college AGAIN) I backed out. Also, they don't start paying you until 3 months after you graduate, because you have to pay off truck insurance and the school fees.

Just give me an empty lot to practice driving the truck and then hand me a certificate. Not some year-long scam.

CR England, by the way. They're a scam.

The lot lizards are ugly, dude. They're all manly chain-smoking mommas into Guns n' Roses. Like those shitty waitresses that take 20 smoke breaks and call sleazy rednecks by their names.

Shhh shhh old fag.

Don't take the dream of summer.

Just like autopilot for planes got rid of pilots right?

Better make a a career in programming or engineering. I will enjoy taking your jobs with my robotic minions.

This is bullshit.

All estimates of self driving cars are completely horseshit. The real world is far too chaotic and unpredictable.

There will be people sitting behind steering wheels of trucks for the next 2 decades at least. A lot of it might be automated (particularly highway driving) but it's a long way from full automation.

Now that said, your wages might go way down as the automation does increase simply because it needs less 'skill'

There's also a lot of shit that can't be automated. Warehouse to warehouse can but there's a lot of specialized shit like construction and fuel. Also, moving refrigerated foods, th driver is also there to monitor and take care of it if the unit breaks down.

I the automation will take over some of the stuff but not all or even most.

>did it for 3 years
>bought my own truck
>couldn't pay for diesel
>couldn't pay for food
>couldn't pay mortgage
>couldn't pay any bills
>had no choice but not file taxes
>8 years later owe the IRS $8,000

don't. fucking. fall. for. it.

The main thing to understand is that OTR driving is a huge paradigm shift, lifestyle-wise. You're alone and bored 90% of the time, away from friends and family for days or weeks at a time, often working 70+ hours a week. If you're a loner-type I'd say go for it but even the it takes a number of years to get a good job/route. Most companies won't even hire you until you've got 2+ years experience which means you'll spend at least 2 years going through the proverbial ringer doing shit ass runs for shit ass companies. Think it out long and hard. It's not a shortcut to the middle class. It's a grunty fucking job.

Even in an auto plant they do a lot of work but they can't do everything and idk how many times our line goes down because a robot is fucking up somewhere on the line.

In 10 years you'll be out of work.

Self driving cars

your jewish hand signals didn't get you free gas?

Not with the way our infrastructure is going. Are you crazy? We can't even afford to keep lines painted. How are all of these self driving trucks going to get anywhere if there are no lines anywhere on any of the highways or exits? Avoiding wheel destroying potholes? Won't happen anytime soon. Sorry. These automation fantasies are annoying

I used to hotshot campers outta indiana. its ok but a lot of dead heading. But then a new dually was a little over 30k now a lot more plus extra insurance between that and fuel cost I thought it had died out after early 2000's also

Even if you're right, that's like saying "in 20 years they're gonna figure out how to manipulate DNA to halt the aging process, coupled with synthetic organs, most people under the age of 50 could wind up living forever." Like, okay, maybe, but don't bet the farm on it. And what about until then?

Maybe long haul, but then they will still need people to pilot them into town for a long time.

what the fuck is the point of this post? Yeah, no shit engineering or cs would be a better career option than trucking but if you live in a country without free education then engineering might not be an option

My dad was owner operator trucker and I have hotshot rvs and furniture delivery. They are that way becuase 90% of the process is a hassel. dmv gives you hell hp gives you hell companies try to overload you I have literally seen my pops have to start a fight or even pull a firearm to get paid jews in ny get your money first never a check.Also people drive like shit.

It's because truck driving attracts people with a personality disorder. since you're usually alone, that's the only job a crazy person can handle.

How do you stop muslim scum from climbing all over your truck?

Also dispatchers love to schedule your delivers that will make your logbooks nice and fat ticket wortgy

damn

Yes I fell for it.
>Can't drive stick
>Fuck up all the time.
>Backing up is actually a billion times harder than you would think.
>it's full of criminals with some honest guys
It's a expensive mistake to make. I paid for the course and couldn't complete it because I can't back up or double shift.

You'll get mid 30k if you're lucky.

Also, truck drivers are absolute scum of the universe. I've never met 1 that wasn't a complete tool.

More like how Predator drones are replacing manned bombers. Gradual phase-out, in manned missions, as the technology gets better.

Will never be 100%, but 80% will be a revolutionary change.

mfw my career is robotics

I did some truck driving years ago. Some of it is enjoyable, going to new places and being in control. Other parts suck like dealing with an irate customer or going into a ghetto. But I didn't want to do that the rest of my life so I moved on.

Plenty of the truckers I've met are usually fuck ups or people who are socially inept, or borderline psychotic. Met one guy at a truck stop who couldn't stop telling me about archaeology and aliens. When I had to pry myself away finally he started spouting "I've got human skulls in my closet!" Had enough dealing with those fuckers.

This. its not gonna happen in our lifetime doubtful in our grandkids

nice

Automated driving won't be efficient enough for decades to come. Don't get ahead of yourself.

There's also oil work
you get paid more than that and get 6months off a year
(the other 6 months you're working 12 hrs every day)
and the lowest positions have almost no requirements other than that you're in good health

Robots or pajeet will replace that.

It already exists.

Good luck trying to get a job in that field though.

my brother in law works for ups and drives big rigs. About 10 hours a day. He is union and makes over 100k a year due to overtime. He has been with ups 25 years. Pick a good trucking company and you can make bank.

>work as overhead lineman
>still have to maintain class a cdl with like 6 endorsements
>could go do the trucking meme
I could travel like one if I joined the right company. But I love working for my utility it's cozy as fuck.

Imagine you could browse Sup Forums while driving somehow safely? That would really be a great job. Maybe when auto drivers become a thing and they need someone in there just to make sure it doesn't fuck-up for the first few years or so.

Don't be like those guys in the 1960s who said a computer will never be smaller than a large room required for a mainframe. Or the world will never need more than a dozen mainframe computers.

Computerized advances and their applications grow exponentially.

robots will never replace humans in designing robots

I got an interview with an apprenticeship for that.
What should I say or do to help me land it?

I'm not afraid of heights and know my way through some basic electrical work.

I also know a little about poles, like j-hooks,3 phase, Service line and power line.

Also looking for a higher paying job. Work part time at walmart for 10 dollars an hour. 8 years ago I would be ecstatic and feel set but money isnt worth what it used to be. I'd like to make at least 12 dollars an hour preferably 15. Not sure where to look and for what.
I wouldn't take a job driving. You won't make 70k thats horse shit. More like 30k if your lucky, 40-50k before retirement. The self driving car thing is horse shit and repeated by neckbeard neats looking for another excuse to blame something for being a neckbeard loser. Self driving cars are decades away. At least 30-40 years. Neats dont understand how shitty robots are and how often they fuck up and kill people. Remember, its made by a person and todays modern engineer is barely able to do the math let alone think outside the box and innovate. Factor in the cheapness of companies and you have a ticking time bomb that will have insurance companies crying in pain and screaming BAN IT to washington.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've lowered and lowered my lifestyle as much as i can. I live in a camper on my mothers property. I pay the bills and take care of her (disabled) and even with thrifty spending between is we are always check to check. I drive a cheap car with good gas, I've lowered my standard, we use a minimum amount of power and turned the power off. We use a really small solar system and just go without. I don't get how people in town live off of this. I make 850 a month. Drive about 45 miles round trip to work.

Double clutch shifting? Why are you having a hard time with that. Or do you mean floating gears. Also, backing up you just got turn the opposite ways of a trailer-less vehicle.

Been driving for 4 months. Making about 1 thousand per week. I'm working for a smaller company and I do mostly cross country.
I would absolutely recommend this job to a single user who wanted to see how the world worked. Live in truck and put away money.

I work in a natural gas processing plant. Truckers while nice people are more or less niggers.

How the hell do i get into the utility business without a degree? I mean anything. Seems really stable and better pay than the average job.

are you really not prepared for the singularity?

>If you're smart go become an electrical engineer

what now

Every job sucks.
> Lawyers say their job sucks and to do something else.
> Doctors say their job sucks and to do something else.
> Teachers say their job sucks and to do something else.

The money is there for truck driving, and it's all about attitude, putting in the hours, and doing a good job like any other job. It's a huge step up from McDonald's or Walmart and the jobs will always exist.

You cannot create something greater than yourself.

I honestly think it was the truck I was training in. The gears weren't marked, Trainer was yelling at me the whole time and the truck to practice backing was one of those really old short ones that kept drifting.

Uhhh they're lying to you. Sure maybe you can make 70k but you'll spent 50k on meth to drive 24/7/365

Then what are children?

>self-driving cars are 30-40 years away

holy shit do you know how long 40 years is? and they're already here.

You can maybe do it if you never go home and work the max hours allowed, but not in the first couple of years. I looked into it and the entire industry looks and smells like poop, might be ok for old timers but unions were broken years ago. In this country they import drivers from all corners now who do it for minimum wage. I'd rather do something else for that wage, it's stressful and an unhealthy, don't even want to drive 10 hours a day.

It won't be automated, always need someone in the driver seat but same with airline pilots, sit there picking your nose monitoring widgets and gauges most of the shift? Fuck that.

Join a smaller company that doesn't have enough space and funds to accommodate a fully automated system.

There was a wal-mart account with X-Press that was REALLY fucking nice.

1,000$+ minimum(You get paid at least 1,000$ no matter what) You are home every night. Only catch is you have to live near a Wal-mart but they give you a couple of grand to move.

>1 out 5 truckers is always a massive dick on some way. they get pissed if i take their driver license number. they get pissed if they have to wait 10 minutes. i've been close to getting into fist fights.

That's because you are a security guard, not because truckers are dicks.

I pulled in a little over $85,000 my second year. Pretty cash. Getting ready to get automated though, so I'm jumping out of it.

My dad was a truck driver and he made pretty good money, but he was an owner operator and also broke the fuck out of the law to drive like twenty hours a day. As a fleet driver you'll make less money (still not bad) and have a regular amount of free time.

Nigger, your working at Walmart for 10 dollars an hour and your holding your nose at a job that starts at 30,000 dollars a year and grows to 50,000?

You deserve everything coming to you in life. I really hope you make it but I already know your just going to leech off your parents until they die, take all their life insurance / money, and go on welfare after they run out.

>Every job sucks.
Being a power engineer is good. Work 3hours out of a 12 hour shift. Sit on your ass surfing the net, watching TV, reading books, playing video games and pull down 35-65 an hour.

I wouldn't take a job like that because I take car of my mother. She can't be left alone for long lengths of time. Also I dont feel like being in the midwest or 1000 miles away and the country going to shit and getting stranded. The US is NOT a safe pace anymore.
>posts anime
I can smell the jobless neet from here. Enjoy those tendies.

I am constantly recreating myself better than myself

What is time?

I have an uncommonly long layover. It gets hard camping in a truck. I have seen and done all the internet has to offer, watched all the movies and tv there is. I am irate as hell from looking at the news and pol insanity all the time. I need to find anything else to do. It was fun for a year and a half.

I don't have much recommendation there mate. They did like it tho when I told them weather is not a issue to me. But you will enjoy your trade mate. I look forward to working every day.

I work for a electrical utility. If you have a cdl and your tabe scores aren't potato then you just sign on your books and boom you are in a union. I personally went through coon corps and was cultural enriched at a 80% Nigger population campus. Still got me ahead. Just have a cdl and worst comes to worst you work for pike.

>Seems like a perfect way to escape NEETdom

Drive for UBER.

Trucking may want some sort of resume or references or whatever.

Uber just wants a photo of your ID, insurance, and they do a background check to make sure you aren't a wanted criminal.

After "working" for UBER for a bit, then maybe apply for a trucking job, using your UBER experience/references/etc.

a lot of people will tell you a lot of reasons why UBER sucks, but this isn't supposed to be a dream job, its a part time job and its NEET friendly.

oh and you need a car too, obviously. look up your local requirements and buy something cheap/clean/fuel efficient. if your parents are fed up with your NEET bullshit, maybe they will even chip in to buy the car, if you explain what its for!

big gay trucker network
gay republican truckers are everywhere

hauling santorum per mile must smell bad

>trucking industry so desperate for retarded rednecks they come to Sup Forums

just kys