Dear Billy, I saw the Kong movie, and was decently surprised that I liked it a darn lot...

Dear Billy, I saw the Kong movie, and was decently surprised that I liked it a darn lot. Really liking the feel of their Monster universe, though I hope it won't always be "le monster actually wants to save everyone"...

What does Sup Forums think of the Monsters cinematic universe concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM&t=6s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's the only cinematic universe I care about. Godzilla was a little weak but Kong was pretty great. Not perfect but lots of fun and I hope the rest of the movies are more like it. As for the monsters being heroes I think that's fine for Kong and Mothra but Godzilla needs to be more of a villain than what he was in the 2014 movie where he was basically an accidental superhero.

I was surprised the WW2 guy survived

>It's the only cinematic universe I care about.
Same here, but then again that's what I come to feel for every cinematic universe that hasn't yet surpassed its infancy, and hasn't yet started bridging movies together, since I'm quite the sucker for world building.

>Godzilla was a little weak
Personal preference of course, but I liked Godzilla better for being a little more attentive to nudging clues about a Monarch conspiracy going on, and the means they have to keep this quiet. Kong was great too for the B-movie thing it emulated.

>As for the monsters being heroes I think that's fine
True, but basically I don't want the monsters to always have to share their screen-time with another poorly thought-up monster, such as the MUTOs, which were a tad bland. The reptiles here were better.

We should've seen more of the Japanese desu. Also wouldn't have minded a flashback that retraces their dog-fight, which apparently was intense enough that it dragged them into the island storm.

I really liked all the monsters in Kong. The next few movies seem to all be using classic ones going the end credits scene. Hopefully Ghidora will be in the next Godzilla movie. I'm also hoping for aliens to show up eventually but I sorta doubt that's going happen.

>I'm also hoping for aliens to show up eventually
Don't you think the "hah even SETI guys are more wacko than you" line was hinting at that maybe happening?
Anyways, really need to binge the Japanese classics to understand who I don't know about, aside from Godzilla and Mothra.

Just got back, only really saw it bc it's an activity to do w/ my ol' dad whose favorite film is the original.

Yeah, it's ok. The action scenes were creative and well directed, the Fong cinematography was nice, Kong looked awesome. Bries boobs looked huge, no?

The dialogue/humor was a weak point, save for John C. Reilly who carried the film for me.

>I'm also hoping for aliens to show up eventually but I sorta doubt that's going happen.
Well considering how many aliens there in the franchise I hope we get aliens soon. But I also hope they can give the monsters personality like they did with Gigan.

I figured that was just a joke about older movies or maybe hinting towards alien monster like Ghidorah or Gigan. I really just don't see these movies having humanoid aliens mind controlling monsters or building giant robots like they used to considering the more realistic tone they've gone for. Now that I think about it though I wonder if they'll ever do Mecha-Godzilla in some way considering how popular he is. If they did I imagine aliens would be the only way to bring it about unless they make up some kind of Monarch conspiracy for it.

>The dialogue/humor was a weak point,
Oh true. I had my head in my laps whenever they were pushing the "Hiddleston-Brie" and "Goodman-Jackson" dialog where there was a whole too much cliché-ed lines. Also, the scene where they're pleading for Jackson not to kill Kong was the high-point of how poorly drawn some of the lines were, especially with it being anti-climatic as fuck.
Soldier lingo endeared me to them, and it almost feel like some of it was improv, though probably not. Also fuck Loki as "le SAS tough guy". Worst casting for the film.

>Fong cinematography was nice
Cool stills yeah.

>Bries boobs looked huge, no?
Don't know, but liked her next to Hiddleston, who's effeminate and doesn't threaten my sexuality.

>Ghidorah or Gigan.
>Mecha-Godzilla
Ah bud, don't know enough about Japanese movies to keep up the conversation, but anyways a lot of what you're referring to does sound pretty sweet

my masculinity*
Fuck.

Dear Billy

Bump

Skull Island was bad, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

John C. Reilly, Cole, and Mills were the best characters.

>I had my head in my laps
Wow user, that doesn't sound very comfy.

>Mills
Agree. Pretty decent actor. The dude that sacrificed himself was pretty good also.

I was confused at the very end when he got back home, I thought his wife was Japanese.

>Kong looked awesome.
Kong looked like shit, but he looked like the original.
>Bries boobs looked huge, no?
No, the Chinese girl was hotter and had better outfits.

>. The dude that sacrificed himself was pretty good also.
He died like a bitch, that was totally uncalled for.

>Unfortunately, every time the film’s prankish eye puts a smile on your face, a misjudged line or idea wipes it off. Characters keep making cryptic “meaningful” statements like “We didn’t lose the war, we abandoned it” and “Sometimes the enemy doesn’t exist until you go looking for them,” but these never really sync up with images of Kong surviving a napalm attack or a band of grunts sneaking through a prehistoric killing field.

Matt Zoller Seitz's mostly positive review nails this major flaw

>He died like a bitch, that was totally uncalled for.

Not that user but it was brave and would have potentially worked if the creature continued on its path at him and didnt whip him w/ his tail.

>Not that user but
>Actually am that user
Really makes you think...

godzilla was a boring slog
braindead characters
overuse of teasing godzilla
dave from kickass has no real relation to the plot and ends up wherever godzilla is on accident constantly

kong was better but was still bad for the oposite reasons.
characters were too tryhard quippy
too much dumb action, especially the hilariously bad katana scene
plot hinges all on their characters actions until the very end when a giant monster for king kong pops out of the ground so the movie can have an ending

honestly godzilla is a 3/10
king kong is a 5/10, but I did laugh at the movie (for the wrong reasons) and had a lot of fun

I really hope the next movie can find a balance so that the crossover works

i was surprised john c riley was essentially the main character of the film
another quick criticism:
the start of kong had too many plots going at once. like a reverse phantom menace, and the characters were two dimensional but in a less boring way than godzilla
>king kong
>b-movie
reeee

Yea dude, only one person would disagree with your specific opinion. You sounds really intelligent, i'm sure you bring a lot to this board.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say right now. I was just meme'ing on you.

pls respond

So, what's next for Kong? Besides Godzilla.

Military attacks him angle is done. Could he fight another kaiju? If so how to humans factor in? At his size, he would decimate a city, so not sure how they'd handle that.

I like Kong movies but have or can they done more than jungle/city?

kong in 2005 desu. government documents leak and fortune hunters go to capture the giant monster, he has grown so much that after making him mad, they realize he can not be captured. he follows an escaping plane and ends up on the coast of japan

it is just me or did they just add a woman in the movie for the sake of it?. It just felt like she add nothing to the story at all; She was just there. The scene with her and loki looking at Kong could of been done without her. Same goes for the Asian lady..

same with dr dre
same with eazy e
same with loki
same with steve-o
same with everyone not named sam jackson, john goodman, and john c riley

>Kong hurt by napalm
>Godzilla tanked a nuke to the face

How is this even going to be a contest?

>when he slices through the birds while wearing a gas mask

I loved the movie. It was a smart call to split the survivors into groups after the crash, and also good that they didn't linger around or explain the natives too much.

youtube.com/watch?v=uNx4RbeSpYM&t=6s
4/10 it sucked
Should've got Peter Jackson to make it

Good
>effects
>John C Reilly
>monster design
>general aesthetic

Bad
>cliche as fuck Vietnam soundtrack, the only thing missing was It Ain't Me
>Most characters were boring as fuck, especially hiddleston
>deaths were predictable, other than Goodman
>meme dialogue (cubs and tigers LOL)

Not great, not terrible. If nothing else they did a good job with Kong himself

A good start for Kaiju-kino, I felt the Skull-Crawlers were a bit underwhelming and generic in design even though they were based of an old monster from the first King Kong movie. The other creatures like the bamboo spider and the walking log were really cool tho.

the natives were cool as shit and I wish we got to see more of them.

>there will NEVER be a more fucked up time in Washington

At least the Cubs discussion actually made sense, even if it was on the nose.

I know Godzilla had it's boring moments, but the Hawaii reveal, Halo jump, Atomic breath, and finale were so much better than anything in that happened in Kong.

That wasn't even a terrible joke, at least it was moderately clever. What was shit about it was how heavy-handed it was executed; it's literally the first line of the movie, accompanied by that dramatic closeup on Goodman's face

>Halo jump

only good thing about it is the music.

And?

And your mother.

Thank you.

>the only thing missing was It Ain't Me
dropped

Kong is young and not finished growing you pop-tart, it's in the movie

There were so many over-the-top funny moments in this movie that I couldn't tell if I was supposed to take it seriously at literally any point. It may have been the biggest budget B movie I've ever seen.

I seriously expected Kong to fight a bunch of Skull crawlers around Chapman's downed helicopter with the speakers still blaring rock music.

I really liked that creepy ominous song that played early on during the movie. It was subtle and it really did create a disturbing feeling. It felt like it could have been ripped straight from Apocalypse Now.

Then they played the same song like 1000 more fucking times and it lost all impact. Jesus Christ.

>watch the new Kong movie
>oh its Vietnam scene
>It ain’t me did NOT start to play
>can´t concentrate on the rest of the film

>>king kong
>>b-movie
That isn't to say that it wasn't a good movie, but that it emulated the feel procured by those old b-movies.
>huge cast where we get to see half of them die in 2 minutes
>exotic beautiful locations
>entertaining and gritty violence
Or am I completely off?

>kong in 2005 desu. government documents leak and fortune hunters go to capture t
Dear God yes. We'll be needing more of the conspiracy angle.