Why not just stop the fucking clock?

Why not just stop the fucking clock?

much easier to refball games by giving 5 or minutes of stoppage time at the end

Cause then it'd turn into American Football

I see no problem with this

Because drama

tradition

Otherwise refs have to be more creative with how they cheat and favour teams.

Silly burger. How could objective timekeeping be used to influence the results of games? Don't you know that Halal, Burka, Dabnited, and PISSG always need to win?

It wouldn't stop play any more frequently than it already does. Just stop the clock when Pedro is rolling around on the field or when the ball goes out of play. It literally would not harm the game.

>10% of all goals are scored in stoppage time
makes u think

timewasting is a valid tactic, and it makes football more diverse

>timewasting is a valid tactic

the joy of beating a team that's timewasting knows no bounds

t. watches a sport that the fourth quarter is just big plays to get first downs and then kneeling and wasting almost 2 minutes of clock.

>wasting two minutes vs wasting 90 minutes plus stoppage time

because the appeal of soccer is closer to wrestling than an actual sporting competition
it's all about the drama, and an uncertain amount of extra time is very dramatic

because regular games would last 120+ minutes

The last 2 minutes of an NFL game are usually the most boring part. Take a knee x3
Simply stopping the clock when the ball's out of play isn' going to fix anything

i hate kneel plays but it's a necessary evil, otherwise there would be a lot of outrage over injured running backs at the very end of games.

it's a legitimate method of killing the clock though, unlike faking an injury like a faggot

passing the ball sideways is the soccer equivalent of taking a knee
there is no football equivalent to being a diving faggot rolling around on the ground

Couse the game is 90 minutes long and the players will die of exhaustion

>The last 2 minutes of an NFL game are usually the most boring part
Literally not true, unless it's not a close game.

>soccerfags can't handle running for 90 minutes

because imagine watching liverpool for exactly 90 minutes

why do basketball games take 3h+?

>muh soccer players are athletes
>americans are so lazy
>soccer players can't handle playing for the full time
>yurofags complain games would be too long if they were forced to play the entire thing instead of wasting time walking around or diving

t.

Jogging for 90 minutes is too tiring for malnourished yuros

It would literally be the same if the game was 60min with clock stop.
Stop fucking bitching

>[citation needed]

unironically trying to guess the correct amount of injury time is the funnest part about football.

Because muh tradition, or some bullshit

People have trains and stuff booked

but keeping accurate time is not possible in some 3rd world countrys.

I automatically feel greasy seeing a goal scored in extra time if i haven't watched the whole match.

Sets a precedent. If pausing the game was a thing what's stopping them from making timeouts a part of the game. Soccer turns into a shitty NBA game all of a sudden.

Games are now 30 minutes a half. Stop the clock when the ball is dead. Playing time remains pretty much the same. Time wasting and match fixing is cut out completely.

>implying basketball teams don't milk the clock when they are winning

Hey that's a great idea can I pay you to play my ads at every stoppage?
Just make sure there's a stoppage every five minutes and they last at least two minute okay

Gameflow is exactly the same as it is now. The clock stops, not the game.
They would get a multi million pound sponsorship deal from Rolex or whoever too

>If pausing the game was a thing what's stopping them from making timeouts a part of the game.
But they already pause the game/take timeouts. Injuries, penalties, setting up corner/free kicks: All of these things stop gameplay.

You can't eliminate players slowing down game play (faking injuries, readjusting the ball, deciding at the last minute to have someone else throw in the ball). But that isn't the purpose of stopping the clock. You stop the clock to eliminate the end of game fuckery that is stoppage time. When the game isn't being played the clock isn't running.

>Nearly 2018
>Europeans still can't figure out how to work a stopwatch

why don't they stop the clock when play stops? That one webm of that guy faking a cramp until the referee stopped the game was fucking ridiculous. That shouldn't happen in any sport.

>so how much stoppage time should we add?
>I don't know...does 3 minutes seem right?
>your guess is as good as mine!
>when should we stop?
>i don't know maybe around 5 minutes
>sounds good!
And the game still ends 0-0

fat
a
t

Soccer fans say the same thing about flopping too.

Gamesmanship is needed to give blackies a chance, it's POSITIVE discrimination.

The game would last longer and players would get more tired, thus risking injuries and a overall decline in the game quality.

tltr; it would fuck up the game flow

>2 match ban for blatant dive
>1 match ban for time wasting/rolling around like a faggot
>South Americans now suck at soccer

Povertyball fixed.

>The game would last longer
It would last the same amount of time. It would be the same game just that when they are rolling around on the ground, the clock isn't running.

yeah, this is pretty retarded. if they play for 90m with no injuries, and 95m with injuries, but 5m is clock stoppage, it's the same thing. Just more retarded. If the ball CANT be played, why not stop the clock?

ITT: Amerifats who can't into the science of injury time

Oh please, if you actually clocked how long some players were rolling on the ground and wasting time you'd end up with stoppage time of 10-15 minutes, especially in games where the lower ranked teams takes a lead.

>can't into

Then it IS true you fuckin faggy

You literally are makin no fuckin sense guy. Just admit youre to riddled with HIV to work a stop clock

>The game would last longer and players would get more tired, thus risking injuries and a overall decline in the game quality
Doesn't seem to affect (the advertisers revenue in) American Football. What's the problem?

I think you need to leaf.

Yeah like they'd be able to resist.

You're delusional.

Soccer was a mistake

>NFL game, you're up by 1
>defense out of timeouts
>2:00 left
>Qb kneel
>qb kneel
>qb kneel
>ref yells 5 MINUTES STOPPAGE TIME
>have to punt
>lose

You're the one living in a fantasy land where you think you can predict the future. Get off your deluded horse.

I mean, every sport has a similar to "timewasting" tactic. When a team is winning, there are a number of things that teams will do to run out the clock. It's mostly football though. Time wasting in baseball is just players being asshats.

56%

How would people know how long there was until the game ends?

>how long there was until the game ends
>until the game ends
>how long

Wew. Numbers can go down instead of up you know.

You don't. You just make room for a 4 hour long match schedule and then fill the gaps with commericals and post-match analysis which usually overlap over the actual schedule.

This cant be a serious sentence, ya god damm brit bagel

>a referee decides how long the stoppage time is
this is literally an easy way to refball

> stoppage time only runs for one team
literally the most pathetic excuse in the game

Saying that it wouldn't happen is still a prediction of the future you dumb drunk so that's a moot avenue of retort

Yes but soccer is a 90 minute game, unlike US sports where the match is 60 minutes. Having 90 with clock stops would kill players, and having 60 with clock stops would be about the same amount of game time in the end. What's the point

so can towers jęj

Is an horse a athlete?

Name 2 team sports where you continuously run for 45 minutes or more.

>Lets see. We've had about 10 minutes or so of players pretending to be injured and penalties being levied. Better announce we'll play for another 4 minutes then and actually play 4 and a half minutes. Fuck it.

NON-STOP ACTION

none
not even soccer players run for 45 minutes

>ur mum
&
>ur dad

continuously run a train on them sluts the boys do yee

This x299

two minutes of american football playtime is actually 30 minutes of real time.

This x1.003344482

>I read it on a meme chart some anonymous dipshit posted on the worlds most horrible sports board. It must be true.

...because it is.

Do you whine about golf too because the ball isn't in the air 99% of the time?

>why doesnt the goalkeeper just kick the ball from his hands into the goal
>why doesnt a guy just put the bal up his jersey and run into the goal
>why doesn't a team just score a goal then put every man on the goaline so the opponent cant score
>why dont they just make a human ladder in the box and have the goaltender kick the ball up for a header

i like how soccer matches rarely go over 2 hours. i have shit to do.

regular effective playtime is like 60 min
they would stop the clock if they actually wanted to go the 90 min

>i have shit to do
No you don't.

ITT yuropoors BTFO repeatedly and eternally

As things stand it does seem kind of pointless to add on time at the end because it's so subjective and leaves a lot of room for potential cheating and timewasting. If you just stopped the clock

>every time the ball goes out of play
>every time a player gets injured
>during every substitution

I think we'd see shit like "Fergie time", players faking injury to waste time, and players deliberately taking their time while being subbed off go way down.

>Tfw your country doesn't posses powers to freeze time yet

Wish I was American

>I think we'd see shit like "Fergie time", players faking injury to waste time, and players deliberately taking their time while being subbed off go way down.
While stopping the clock would improve the game overall, I don't think it would stop flopping/rolling around in agony or wasting time at the end of a game. It would make things more fair and transparent.

Underrated

For every 10 minutes of wasting time a team does, the opponent should get 10 minutes with a second ball

Ya, and soccer players just walk around for 88% of the time.

What is your point?

Easier to rig that way. I’ve seen a couple games where the stoppage is 3 minutes but if the obviously favored team had the ball at midfield the refs will stretch it out to five minutes to let them have one last chance. Fuck that. Times up.