Why does the english media act like football didn't exist before 1992? for every statistic and record they talk about...

why does the english media act like football didn't exist before 1992? for every statistic and record they talk about, they never consider the whole history of the first division

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_of_the_Premier_League
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because then they'd be giving Liverpool credibility.

because the premier league replaced the first division: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_of_the_Premier_League

Wheb did the league change their name?
I thought it was Barclay’s League?

i know that. but both represent the highest level of english football, so why not include pre-1992 statistics when talking about records

It's a different league

When it comes to things like numbers of caps things generally are given in all-time terms. However, the advent of the Premier League also brought about a steady transformation in the game and the makeup of squads. It is also a useful place to measure from that is in relatively recent memory.

For example, if you were talking about a points accrued record you would have to factor in the number of points for a win changing in 1981.

It does perhaps belittle the achievements of those that came before though. Still, it is used as a convenient moment in time, like how we use BC and AD.

the league's name changed so it is a different league

It's a marketing thing.

The PL has changed names a bunch of times

To be honest, football didn't exist before 2013 (when fergie retired)

all the journalists get paid off the success of the PL which means they have to suck its dick on a daily basis

no that doesn't count because its only a little name change whereas first division to premiership is a big name change.

By number of letters replaced?

No one cares about records bob broke in 1911

yes

Reminder that Blackburn Rovers and Leicester City have more Premier League titles than Liverpool.

but i do

premiership to premier league is just as big of a change

It is Barclays Premier League

not since this season, it's just the premier league now