What was the point of the aliens "subplot" in Fargo, season 2?

What was the point of the aliens "subplot" in Fargo, season 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-z9fV557rl8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it was a big thing around that time, X-Files times

it's based around stuff that happened around then

There were a number of sightings during the seventies in minnesota.

Also it was an era of paranoia and suspicion. The aliens represent that.

To add to the atmosphere, during that time period there were lots of UFO sightings. It was also a nice little nod to the coen brothers film, the man who wasn't there. A lot of coen brothers deal with themes of uncertainty and how there are some things in life you'll never get closure, it's just the way life is. The UFO subplot was probably the basis of those themes

the x-files ended 15 years ago. are you talking about the time period of the show?

I'm talking about the time period, I know the show happened after.

who cares: the post.

>I'm a pleb: the post

doesn't explain why they had the UFO interrupt the shootout and influence the plot

why would a UFO explain itself?

because the show is unoriginal and its entire script is just a rough smoothie of beats from their filmography. "So we end season 2 with the Man who Wasn't There alien stuff."
GENIUS BRAVO NOAH
youtube.com/watch?v=-z9fV557rl8

THIS is what you're upset about and not Hanzee being the Armenian guy from season 1???

it's not 100% certain

The aliens literally put the whole thing in action, by making the guy walk onto the road and get run over.

>because the show is unoriginal and its entire script is just a rough smoothie of beats from their filmography.

Seriously. It really amazes me how many people on Sup Forums think this is one of the best shows ever created. At least it lets you know you can disregard all of their opinions.

Random force of nature plot device and easy way to let viewers question everything with little actual substance that pays off traditionally via actual character arcs and plot twists while being culturally accurate for that time period as a representation of the paranoia and other issues the country was going through at the time that modern viewers don't comprehend due to not knowing anything about the past.

>influence the plot
The whole fucking story got started because Rye got hit by a car when he was distracted by a fucking UFO

Lots of supposed UFO sightings in America at that time. The UFOs could have been anything, apart from the one at the motel nobody saw anything but flashing lights.

We don't actually know exactly what happened, that's the point IMO. If a UFO had actually landed during a police shootout 30-40 years ago we'd have no idea. Who would put that in a police report?

That's my take on it anyway, I doubt there was any real reason at all other than shock value and mystery.

Absurdity is a common element in Coen brothers works, the UFO's add another layer to that.

>DUDE THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE REFERENCE LMAO
can't wait for The Big Lebowski references in season 3

to represent the incomprehensible
the whole point of that season is to make you realize that you are only alive at that moment at that place by chance and ultimately you are subjected to things that you can't communicate with or even understand. A person who comes in to your house and kills you for no reason is no different from an UFO in that aspect.
That's why the old sherrif wanted to create a languege because he wasn't ready to accept that people are unable to understand eachother.
That's also why the characters are so folksy. Their simpleness is contrasted with the unexplainable and dreadful

I liked both seasons A LOT :)