What were they thinking?

What were they thinking?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GoqxhvdAdns
m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfnhQXxVWc
youtube.com/watch?v=nW_p73_paD4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The only Halloween movie I like. Never liked Michael Myers. He's just some edgy faggot.

i would have liked a high quality horror-anthology series

>What were they thinking?

Carpenter wanted Halloween to be an anthology series in which different filmmakers could make different horror stories to be released annually for Halloween. It's a pretty good idea that undone but how fucking good his film was.

About the replacement of America's moral center with sheer consumerism and materialism in the late twentieth century.

Halloween II was the end of Michael Myers but the studio wanted to continue to milk the franchise so John Carpenter talked them into turning it into an anthology franchise.

three more days to halloween
halloween
halloween
three more days to halloween
silver shamrock

They were thinking that people weren't so braind-dead and enjoy something different, they were wrong.

He wanted to do something different.

Who the fuck knows

I thought this was going to be comfy halloweenkino based on the cover (Something to do with witches and/or trick or treating)

Instead it's some cheesy man against the machine thing with some older mustachioed guy trying to bang someone young enough to be his daughter

The opening hospital stuff was great though

This.
>hey, instead of pandering to idiots and making the same movie over and over again let's do something creative!
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS SUCKS! BRING BACK MICHAEL! BRING BACK MICHAEL! BRING BACK MICHAEL! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fuck the general public.

Man, Darth Maul really has the high ground there

everything past halloween 2 was a mistake

Halloween 2 was a mistake. Making Laurie Strode Michael's sister was wrong. It was scarier that Michael was just some unstoppable force than making it some cult thing about him sacrificing his family (as per the later sequels)

Halloween, Halloween 2 and Halloween H20 make a good story. Every other Halloween movie is terrible.

halloween two was so fucking unnecessary

>Oh wow, people expect part three of a series to be a continuation of the story of the first two films?
>Fucking sheeple, amirite? Wish everyone was as smart and mature as me

Neck yourself, it's dogshit and deserves every criticism.

>before they knew Michael was the franchise

normies want the same thing they got last time and if you don't give it to them - well this movie's a good example of that

That song tho

youtube.com/watch?v=GoqxhvdAdns

THE OFFICIAL HALLOWEEN POWER RANKINGS:

John Carpenter's Halloween

POWER GAP

Halloween II (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch

POWER GAP

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

POWER GAP

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (producer's cut)
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (theatrical cut)

POWER GAP

Rob Zombie's Halloween
Rob Zombie's Halloween II
Halloween: Resurrection

this movie is pure camp kino

1 > 7 > 2 > RZ1 > 4 > 5 > RZ2 > 6 > 8

This has nothing to do with anything, but it's basically the same logo

Michael Myers fucking died at the end of Halloween II. Every bit of Season of the Witch promotional material made it perfectly clear the movie wouldn't have anything to do with Michael Myers. If you went into Season of the Witch thinking it would have Michael Myers then you're a fucking retard who deserves to be gassed.

This. Innevitably whenever this piece of shit movie gets brought up on Sup Forums, grognards rush to its defence just because it's "something different". But in reality they saw it when they were young and unironically enjoyed it because they were dumb kids and now have refused to let go and have dug in with contrarianism to justify their nostalgia.

A director wanted to make a unique and interesting sequel instead of a mindless studio driven cookie cutter sequel. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Bro how schizo delusional can you get?

>grognards

It was a noble idea but it was still a complete piece of crap.

He's right. H3 is fucking terrible and people only come to it's defense to be contrarians

>intention matters more than execution

>But in reality they saw it when they were young and unironically enjoyed it because they were dumb kids and now have refused to let go and have dug in with contrarianism to justify their nostalgia.

I didn't see it when I was young. In fact, it was the only Halloween I never watched when I was young because I heard it had nothing to do with Michael.

I saw it years later and it's not as bad as people wish it was.

However, it could've done without the Halloween title because it was... something different.

I can't imagine anyone under 30 knowing AND enjoying this film.

If it was some new director's first film done on a miniscule budget and not part of the Halloween franchise, it might be an endearing B horror movie. However this piece of shit was made by the same guy that did The Thing and had a fairly decent budget for what it was. Just pure garbage when you compare it to the potential it had. This movie is a perfect example of why scripts matter.

>>Oh wow, people expect part three of a series to be a continuation of the story of the first two films?
The problem with your argument is the studio tried their absolute hardest to show people the movie wouldn't be a continuation of the story of the first two films. The posters and trailers dispelled any notion that it was a continuation.

goddamn the plebs in this thread. Halloween is the only great film in the series. 2 and 3 are good, everything after that is fuckin terrible and almost unwatchable

>However this piece of shit was made by the same guy that did The Thing
Nope, John Carpenter produced Season of the Witch but he didn't direct it. It was directed by Tommy Lee Wallace and it was Tommy's directorial debut.

I don't even think John Carpenter directed Halloween 2

Except Season of the Witch was a new director's first film done on a miniscule budget. It had a lot more locations/sets than the previous two films and the special effects were far more complicated than the previous two films but despite all of this the studio only gave it a budget of $2.5 million. Halloween II had a budget of $2.5 million and that film was a lot more simplistic than Season of the Witch.
Well, he ghost directed the gory death scenes but that's it. The rest of Halloween II was directed by Rick Rosenthal. The studio wanted John to direct the full film but he refused to.

Don't care about mike Meyers or any Halloween film after the first one
I'd have liked a Halloween anthology film series but halloween3 is legitmately crummy with long stretches of boringness
It's hardly even a horror movie till the end...it's a dull thriller about a tv station

This.

Agreed.

So am I the only person who thinks this movie is overall pretty good but shits the bed during the last 10 minutes? It makes no sense that the love interest is a robot. Why didn't she try to kill him before the ending? Why did she help him take down the Silver Shamrock corporation?

Season of the witch is goat. And also has the best soundtrack of all the halloweens

Halloween 2 > Halloween 2
m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfnhQXxVWc

>What were they thinking?

After Halloween 1, this is literally the only other Halloween movie that's good.

Halloween 2 and Halloween H20 are alright.

3 isn't very good and mostly liked by contrarians
4 is an okay slasher
5 is rushed and very mediocre
6 is a mess
8 is awful

>older mustachioed guy trying to bang someone young enough to be his daughter
Sounds hot

They wanted to make kino

They failed.

What the fuck is a grognard?

>H20 alright
No it isn't, this IMDB mentality needs to stop, the movie is poorly executed and the teenage plot is unbearable.

The first three Halloween movies are the only good ones.

Carpenter most likely would've stayed a producer on the franchise if they continued as the anthology series he wanted.

>this IMDB mentality needs to stop
What?
>the movie is poorly executed and the teenage plot is unbearable.
The execution is fine. The teenagers are pretty bland but they aren't terrible. Although I admit that if the movie didn't have Jamie Lee Curtis and only focused on the teenagers it would be shit.

H20 is alright. It's no masterpiece but it's acceptable. It would have been the perfect end for the franchise (Laurie killing Michael) but of course they were going to churn out more

This movie is actually really good until the end when the girl is inexplicably a robot and they don't let you know if he succeeded. The atmosphere is great, the mystery is compelling, the acting is good, the deaths are cool, it's just fucking good.

This is exactly how I feel. It's great up until the nonsensical "OH SHIT SHE'S A ROBOT" twist.

I didn't know that.

This film was more like 1984 than the original Halloween.

Not to mention how he has to kill her like 4 times before she's actually dead. Fucking worst scene by far.

How did he get the phone numbers to the television stations?? Some frantic dude calls and says to turn off the signal and they do it immediately, then after that ANOTHER STATION is playing the hypnotic shit & this goes on for 5 minutes.

TURN IT OFF
TURN IT OFF

cut to credits lel, best ending in the franchise

I was under the impression he was talking to a friend who worked at the station, otherwise they wouldn't listen to him for a second.
But yeah the ending fucking sucked.

Thinking about it some more, I'm certain he lied about a bomb or some other threat like that, but I also remember the kids coming into the gas station (alone) and head straight to the TV. Could have been done a lot better, but I wasn't being facetious saying it's the best Halloween ending

I think there's a power gap between your ears

I just remember being a kid in the 80's and seeing the cover at the movie store and it scared the shit out of me for years that and the cover of fright night, they don't do awesome covers anymore like they used to

Why?

GOAT song

Did they ever explain how Mike Meyers bought a tv station?

youtube.com/watch?v=nW_p73_paD4

What the fuck are you talking about?

Mike Meyers owns the tv station that was going to broadcast the halloween special.
Did you even fucking watch the movie?

Lots of things do that stupid "First and last letter of title bookend the subtitle" design.