He hasn't taken the HEVC pill yet

>he hasn't taken the HEVC pill yet

Thanks to HEVC, uncompressed native 4K films only take like 1 gigabyte of space on your hard drive. I just finished watching a 5gb HEVC version of "Arabian Lawrence" and it was more sharp, clear and pristine than the 20gb x264 I saw a few years ago.

isn't it bad right now?

>uncompressed native 4K films only take like 1 gigabyte of space on your hard drive.

95% of hevc torrents are just re-encoded from x264 releases leading to terrible quality.

No, the quality is amazing because that x264 content gets downsampled into HEVC. Like films are shot in 4K but then released in 2K and they look amazing.

>4k hunger games 2 rip was only 4gb
i still can't believe it

/thread, OP is an idiot as always.

HEVC will soon become obsolete when the new AV1 codec is finalized in a few months.

Google, Netflix, Microsoft, and Mozilla have all pledged to make AV1 the default codec in their products, and Intel, AMD, ARM, Qualcomm, and Nvidia has pledged to add hardware encoding/decoding support for AV1 to their chips.

How much better is it? Will 1080p TV shows be 1gb per season?

It's about 20% better than HEVC.

The main appeal is that it's completely royalty-free, allowing for wider adoption vs HEVC which has two separate competing patent pools (MPEG-LA and HEVC Advance) trying to fleece licensees.

unlikely, it's definitely possible, but the output won't be anything near "transparent".

Source: Ass

A new age of kino is upon us.

Why do people bother with hevc?

Because HEVC (H.265) was selected to be successor to AVC (H.264).

It was only after HEVC Advance emerged and started patent trolling the shit out of everyone that companies got cold feet from HEVC adoption.

AV1 wouldn't have got the wide corporate support it has if it wasn't for HEVC Advance's patent trolling.

Thanks, that kinda information is hard to find out if you're not actively following this stuff

AV1 isn't even out yet, and also the only people who even bothered with HEVC were probably the same kind of people who used to download YIFY encodes.

>1080p x264 = 2gb
>1080p HEVC = 500mb

You tell me.

p x264 = 2gb
ew

I can theoretically make a 500MB x264 encode and a blind man like you still wouldn't notice the difference.

300mb 4K YIFY rips or GTFO!!!

Did the Yifster really say that?

Then don't be a fucking idiot and get the 5% who aren't.
Blaming the codec because you can't find them?
What a kinder-garden.
Better looking than h265, half as big....and you are asking why people use it?
Are you retarded?

?????

YIFY "just worked" on everything and you can't really say the same thing about HEVC.

Graphics don't matter. It's all about movieplay.

The guy asked why, I gave him an example.

>unironically believing h265 is better than h264
wew lads, almost as bad as /ptg/

fuf

HEVC is not better quality, it's just a smaller size... is the point.

yes sir! small size very good!

>Thanks to HEVC, uncompressed native 4K films only take like 1 gigabyte of space on your hard drive

isn't h265 replacing h264?

the goal is quality though
not anytime soon it isn't, no

h265 is DOA thanks to the patent jew

>quality in unrelated to size

The goal is efficiency and that can be achieved with smaller size at the same quality which naturally means better quality at the same size.

I've seen 4GB x265 films that look like full REMUX's