Who pays for all the undersea cables?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EllaLink
submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/unityeac-pacific
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

me

Greece does

Seriously though

Pretty amazing that there are cables spanning from the US to Japan directly.

Govts and Organizations.

There's a new fiber cable called Ellalink that will go from here all the way to Portugal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EllaLink

Companies

So which countries have spent the most on building these undersea cables?

How do countries decide to pay for them?

Who the fuck coordinated all of this shit?

Undersea cables are like roads. I doubt companies pay for all of the expenses. I'm sure governments pay for them as well

Here for example

submarinecablemap.com/#/submarine-cable/unityeac-pacific

>Owners: Telstra, Google, Global Transit, SingTel, KDDI, Airtel (Bharti)

>On 30 June 2015 a joint venture between Brazilian telecoms provider Telebras and Spain's IslaLink was signed off which will complete the communications link early 2018.[1] 45 percent interest in the project will be held by IslaLink, 35 percent by Telebras while a further Brazilian shareholder will put up the remainder.[1][3]
>The European Commission (EC) will invest around €25 million in the new fibre-optic infrastructure via the Building Europe Link to Latin America (BELLA) project, which was put forward by European research network DANTE and its Latin American counterpart RedCLARA.[4]

The optic fiber network in Mexico was put in place by the country's electricity "paraestatal" company 30 years ago as a way to make internal communications faster.
Nowadays they rent the bandwidths to whomever wins the licitations, so basically anywhere where there's electricity there's also fast internet.
Same thing happens with those trans-oceanic lines, some company with a lot of capital makes a huge investment and then they sell a bandwidth to the best bidder every once in a while.
There's no need for any government or big corps to intervene or regulate who or who doesn't has the right to put a giant wire on the ocean floor.
The whole telecom industry is a huge fucking cooperative, most of the infrastructure in which our internet, calls and tv signal is supported is rented infrastructure, most of the time Chinese corporations invest huge money on telecom towers, copper networks, satellites and optic fiber and then rent them to AT&T, comcast, verizon and as much companies as they can possibly fit without saturating the network.
SO the whole idea of competition and ads on "our service is more reliable than x company" is complete bullshit since there's a 90% chance that their whole grid is exactly the same.

>The European Commission (EC) will invest around €25 million in the new fibre-optic infrastructure
>€25 million

This is possibly the most important conglomerate of infrastructure on the entire fucking planet right now, and it costs less than a quarter of an Adam Sandler movie
wew

They are mostly funded nowadays by a consortium of telecommunications companies.

In the past they were heavily subsidised.

How do they conduct maintenance?

Amusingly enough, they mostly don't. The only times when any personnell is even dispatched to these cables is when there's a huge obvious fault in one of the lines.
There's no security of any kind either (obviously).
Any madman could easily cut off two continents from eachother just by setting off on a shitty boat and dropping fishing bombs in the right spot.

a communications company pays for it, then they charge ISP's a rate to use the cables

retard

Tier 1 ISP.
They are the guys that your ISP hire to transport data. There is more than cables. The cables is the easy part, manage a giant ass BGP route is the hard part.

Brazil is fucking corrupt. this is way cost so much. my company has fiber going to chile and miami. it cost a fraction of a simple inter state cable cost. this is why goverments are out of business.

The govt isn't participating actively and Telebras isn't a state company anymore. Also it's a joint project.

Stop being such an alarmist and search before you shit through your fingers, monkey.

BGP?

You dumb fuck. Everything the goverment touch become useless. Brazil only gain a significant internet speed after the govemrent bankrupt their companies and declare one for all.
I bet you are a nigger living as a parasite.
It's a routing protocol (the glue of the Internet).

We have a super cable now, the internet company paid for it, also the new datacenter.

bgp allows providers to tell other providers how to reach their IP addresses or for an ISP to change the way their customers reach a remote IP address (like weighting one undersea cable as preferable to the other, if its on a cheaper rate)

>hurr durr i don't have arguments besides muh evil gubelment

Which part of "Not participating actively" you don't understand? Holy shit you're just as functional illiterate as the average nigger here.

That's really nice of them to set up those inter-continental cables so we can hate each other.

Why it hops to Brazil?

Just curious, wouldn't it be more benefic to you guys if it went straight to NA?

Oh okay, reading it up a bit more seems complex but I get the gist of it.

Thank you anons.

You have way more than that. Trust me...
You too regret going for network?

Google

>BR posts

your mom with her ass

It changes nothing.The project is between Google, Antel and some brazilian companies. The first big cable Monet that goes until fortaleza has 6 pairs of cable with 60+ tbps capacity, Antel owns 1 pair. The second cable Tannat from Fortaleza until Punta del Este has 6 pairs with 90+ tbps, Antel owns two pairs.

We'll be selling(if we're not already, dunno how that works) internet to brazil, argentina, paraguay and unno who else, we were using Argentina's old cable before that was pretty shitty and old just like every other latin american cable that's not this one.

>You have way more than that. Trust me...
What do you mean?

there was probably an agreement with the Brazilian government or some Brazilian company to include a node in Brazil itself
why would Uruguay pay the full cost of a cable that goes from there to NA and have a Brazilian company do the same when you could share the cost and lower the initial investment?

Yeah, it was a joint project between Google Antel and some brazilians. What we got is enough to cover 100% of our needs and sell a big surplus to neighboring countries, same that happens with electricity nowadays(mostly to arg) thanks to wind meme power.