JUST

JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-not-so-secret-life-of-terrence-malick/
youtube.com/watch?v=xFBYGqW4ThQ&t
thefilmstage.com/news/watch-terrence-malicks-perfume-commercial-starring-angelina-jolie/
youtube.com/watch?v=xZxgzA9_Sss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Films like this aren't really made to pull a profit. I'm sure Malick is well off.

It turns out nobody wants to watch 2 hours of thoughtful staring at horizon

>released in 4 theaters

Sup Forums and Sup Forums: the movie

More like Sup Forums and 2011-Sup Forums: the movie
None of the p4k-approved musicians/bands in Song to Song are relevant anymore.

Unsurprisingly it was shot in 2011-2012

what bands?

I know, which is what makes it funny. None of these meme bands ever last more than 2 albums of relevancy

Lykke Li, Black Lips, Neon Indian, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Die Antwoord, Julianna Barwick, Gyptian, Tegan & Sara, Florence + the Machine, Big Freedia, etc. All p4k BNM/8.0+ bands at the time the film was released, and now irrelevant.
>inb4 fleet foxes comeback
The new song sucks, sorry

oh wow that's embarrassing.

>no Green Day
Wtf Malick

>Lykke Li, Black Lips, Neon Indian, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Die Antwoord, Julianna Barwick, Gyptian, Tegan & Sara, Florence + the Machine, Big Freedia
yikes
shit taste galore

Yeah, he's well off, but he'll never be funded again and his legacy (that didn't exist in the first place) is ruined. Not only that, it shows how these supposed a listers can't draw a crowd for shit.

Curious has Malick mad a film that did well at the box office? I don't really look into those numbers, seems like the only films that could have been successful are Tree Of Life, Thin Red Line, Badlands or Days Of Heaven.

Nah, Malick was just cashing in on the "indie" peak of ~2009-2011, when Pitchfork was at its popularity and influence peak.
If he made the film today it would feature mostly meme-rap artists and if was shot in the mid-2000s it'd be the earlier set of p4k bands like Arcade Fire, the Shins, Deerhunter, etc.
Blame the Austin music festivals he filmed for chasing ephemeral trends.

Julianna Barwick makes great ambient music, but yeah, the rest has aged poorly.

Thin Red Line made decent bank

>but he'll never be funded again and his legacy (that didn't exist in the first place) is ruined.
He's already filming his next movie

Not realizing Malick is the patrician Uwe Boll of tax writeoffs.

;)

bump

What did the goose mean by this?

Terry is a footfriend

you can't have like 4 flops in a row and still get the same kind of funding and distribution.

he's going to have to go to Studiocanal or some other European funders because his American producers already hate him. this is just another turd in a four or five year shit sandwich for them.

>All of these indie genre bands who have been on major labels since their second album

Go to sleep, T-Mack.

Song to song? More like bong to bong lol coz only a doped out hippie will make a movie without any sort of narrative at all lol

He has oil money
Actors line up for a chance to work with him, some do it for free
The people he doesn't force to climb up a tree or those who he doesn't cut from the final film all speak glowingly about him, how he's a genius and a lover of art, science and philosophy.

Can someone give me a quick rundown on Malick?

>caring about profits of arthouse films

If he wanted to make money he'd make a superhero movie.

Radegund will probably make a decent sum and'll probably get pushed for Oscar noms due to the good goy subject matter

He was cooler when he'd release one movie a decade and no one knew anything about him.

I dropped him when he actually appeared in person at SXSW last week

Yeah wtf
Next thing you know he'll come out and say Zoolander was actually shit

>Sam Pressman, an acquaintance of Malick’s, elaborated on the director’s personality to Texas Monthly writer Eric Benson. “He’ll make these wild associations that really surprise me. You’ll hear him say something like, ‘I just heard this Jason Derulo song, ‘Talk Dirty.’ I haven’t heard a love song like this before.’ And you’ll think to yourself, ‘That’s so weird, that’s such a shitty pop song.’ And then you’ll listen to it again and you’ll hear this Turkish lick, and you’ll say, ‘Actually, that seemingly innocuous pop song has something really cool to it.'”

WHAT
THE
F U C K

More Malick stories pls

>texasmonthly.com/the-culture/the-not-so-secret-life-of-terrence-malick/

The mystery is gone. Why did he consent to this?

Reminder that he did press for this

youtube.com/watch?v=xFBYGqW4ThQ&t

>last 31 minutes
Link to the rest of it?

>It was at this point that editor Billy Weber came on board, and they spent 13 months in post-production and the last four months mixing the film, using four Avid machines with a fifth added at one point.[15] Malick edited the footage one reel at a time with the sound off while listening to a Green Day CD.[16]

My screenwriting teacher told the class how Terry used to attend screenings of films in the early 90s at a university she studied at in America (can't remember where), and he'd quietly come in, sit near the back, and quietly leave when the film was over - hat always on his head, and one day one of her mates said, "you know that's Terrance Malick", or something and she had no idea, even though she enjoyed Days and Badlands.

Very anti-climatic story, but I love how ethereal and mystical this guy is.

that was confirmed fake

>Malick was born in Illinois in 1943
Why are they doing this to us

You're fake news

No

>ethereal and mystical
>seeing a movie

ok

Was

True, what's changed? Maybe the producers would only complete if he promoted it.

You know what I mean

>what's changed?
The world

>People still trying to defend this tripe because "muh malick"

lol

You have lost faith in the Wonder, user.

Song to Song is actually good, much much better than To the Wonder and I personally prefer it to Knight of Cups

legit basic bitch on instagram tier cinematography

you're the basic bitch, pleb

>Malick cucks so dumb he cant even come up with his own insults

lol

legendary post, bro!
>say it with me: malickcucks B T F O ! !

>Lykke Li, Black Lips, Neon Indian, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Die Antwoord, Julianna Barwick, Gyptian, Tegan & Sara, Florence + the Machine, Big Freedia
Fucking hell that's some lame taste.

Terry apparently directed a perfume commercial starring Angelina Jolie that was released two weeks ago
Why the fuck did no one on Sup Forums know about this?

thefilmstage.com/news/watch-terrence-malicks-perfume-commercial-starring-angelina-jolie/

youtube.com/watch?v=xZxgzA9_Sss

Is it using the same fucking song from the To the Wonder trailer?

I would watch it but I despise Heroina Jolie. Sorry, Terry.

yup

It's literally 60 seconds long, do you have ADHD?

>tfw I love just about all of those bands/artists

>I despise Heroina Jolie

get some taste lame jane

>those bands
Is it 2012 again? Holy shit

I would love some recommendations for bands that are basically just better versions of those, if you have them
unless you are just trashing the general genre/crowd those bands appeal to

I have never seen a full Malick film

Drooped the thin red line
Dropped Tree of Life after skipping to see the cool creation scene sorry but chastain is shit

I will watch Badlands tonight AMA

How many fedoras do you own?

That's shit, user.

98 mill on a 52 mill budget isn't shit

ur profits a shit

Yes it is you fucking retard. For starters, that doesn't account for cuts (Domestic cuts are 50/50, foreign cuts is around 40/60 or 30/70). It also doesn't take marketing into account, and marketing tends to be very expensive and equals the production budget or doubles it in many cases.

This movie flopped domestically and didn't make much money in foreign markets. 98 million on a 52 million production budget is fucking terrible. It lost a lot of money.

this

not that i'm expecting it to make money, but it hasn't even received a proper release yet, dumbass OP. and anyways, releasing A Film By Terrence Malick (TM) is more a prestige thing than anything for the producers and distributors, who likely have more profitable projects they are putting out

>doesn't take marketing into account
yes it does

i looked at my local theater, no listing.

looked around my state, no showtimes whatsoever.

i think it was literally only denver in a 1000 mile radius that had showings.

What did Malick do to piss off the SJW media so much?

Be a pure Assyrian Christian

>bows to tarkovsky
>overblown hack
>hasnt made a great film since days of heaven.

Production does not count marketing. If you actually think it does, you're a fucking idiot. Even if it DID count marketing, this movie still flopped.

>52 million production
>98 million WorldWide gross
>to be generous, lets say that total cuts from all theaters worldwide was 50/50
>98,000,000 / 2 = 49,000,000
>49,000,000 - 52,000,000 = -3,000,000

In this scenario, this movie lost at least 3 million dollars. It didn't even break even. This movie was a flop, get used to it.

oldfag here.
he used to have a much broader range of respect until his decline.
I, like many, really looked forward to him returning with the thin red line, but was slightly disappointed with it. this feeling has grown with every new release.

he literally is the arthouse george lucas in every respect.

honestly this.
song to song is going to be GOAT, every bad review has come from pleb media that only focused on DUDE DRUMPF LMAO, terry being a white male and politics, wtf.

>bows to tarkovsky
>not Heidegger
Idiot

this, tho he's very similar to tarkovsky and bresson in a way

The Thin Red Line and The New World are his best films, dickhead

touched a nerve now
hehehe

fuck off faggot
tree of life is the greatest film ever made

sure

*wink*

*raises paw*
teacher, user is being a meanie again

kek

If you want to trash Malick at least do it right

eh I'd argue that Florence + the Machine is still relevant, each album is more popular than the last even if there are only 3 so far.

>each album is more popular than the last even if there are only 3 so far
Wrong. Each album has received better reviews than the last but also diminishing sales