Is this show actually bad or are the critics just triggered by a white guy doing kung fu?

Is this show actually bad or are the critics just triggered by a white guy doing kung fu?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p9TgdDpVLS8
youtube.com/watch?v=AL4yesNM4HE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Both.

The show isn't amazing, but if you enjoyed the other marlel netflix series you'll like this one.
Critics are indeed triggered by a white man doing kung fu.

I read the USA Today review and it included words like "mansplaining" and "cultural appropriation"
This is where we are at in current year 20XX, where journalists can only write in terms of identity politics

This thread has been made a billion times and the answer is: the show is boring pointless shit with a charisma vacuum of a lead and horrendous fight scenes all politics aside.

Ehhh, kind of both.

I didn't hate it in the beginning, and I began to enjoy it shortly after, and then it was alright, but as it got closer to the end I got angrier and angrier at it.

For one, fuck Claire. For two, fuck anything that uses the line "IF YOU KILL THEM YOU'LL BE JUST LIKE THEM AND OR NO BETTER THAN THEM" unironically.

It's quite bad, but don't let Gender Study grad critics influence your judgment.

Oh I'd also like to mention 56 cuts

It's the shitty version of daredevil s1, the acting and dialogue are really weak. Finn jones was miscast, he has zero charisma. The fight are terrible, especially when compared to DD s1, way too many cuts and like I said Finn jones is awfully Miscast. It has the cliche muh evil corporation shit too. It's better than JJ and Luke Cage, although that's not saying much

It's just ok. The lead actor is actually the worst part, while the villains are much more interesting. Most of the critics are way off base about it.

It's actually good, critics are triggered.

Your pic shows that the audience likes it though, so it's not "quite bad"

Nowhere near as good as Daredevil, but way better than that feminazi Jessica Jones cancer or Luke Cage. SJW critics are throwing a tantrum because this will be more successful than those two garbage shows when it stars a white guy even though they tried so hard to shill them for the agenda.

It's genuinely just pretty bad and easily the worst Netflix Marvel yet.

The lead is meant to be the worlds greatest fighter and gets fucking chumped by randoms and never once looks like he can convincingly fight

It's better than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage

It's boring, the characters lack charisma and chemistry, and the plot meanders on pointless points. In the 13 episodes that was the first season a good 8 were filler

You know how the previous Marvel shows hit episode 8 or so and completely crater into meandering shit because they don't have enough substance to fill 13 episodes?

Iron Fist is like that from episode one.

It's thoroughly mediocre.

It's maybe the worst thing I've ever seen.

Incidentally I quite enjoyed Prometheus.

I referred to the critics score. Anyway, in general I like show. Mostly the characters and the story. But fight scenes are wonky like the kick didn't hit, and I don't understand why Gao is suddenly powerless which kinda ruin the story a bit.

She used her powers once for a completely pointless moment

7/10 show, critics are triggered women that just graduated with a degree in women studies.

Lolita
Lolita
Leon
Black Hawk Down
Space Jam

im 20 minutes in and i dont know how much more i can take
>hero breaks into building attacks people then break into a house then steals a car and kidnaps someone

>The lead is meant to be the worlds greatest fighter and gets fucking chumped by randoms

This, the biggest problem is his power level is erratic as fuck. He can beat a corridor full of triad dudes armed with hatchets no problems one scene then takes five minutes struggling with one random guy in the back of a truck in another.

It's especially jarring since his asian sidekick/cumdumpster doesn't have this problem with random goons despite him easily beating her in a spar at the start of the series

After seeing All the rest of the shows, why do you guys still poop on Jessica jones? Why do it to the degree that you make it equal to Luke cage and iron fist?

Daredevil is better by miles, but Jessica jones is definitely stronger than the other 2 shows

It could have been a worse show. Don't see how people could really think like cage or iron fist are on par if not better than Jessica jones.

It had a cast with personality(likeable or not), use of powers, a legitimate threat to the hero that is explained, the bad guy had a motive and a rationale. Story started and ended the story it set up with "fair pacing". Hero had a reason why they were acting the way they did

You can say the rest for the two shows and that's why they felt weak.

I say this ignoring the fact that she didn't kill the villain early to extend the show and the ass pull of her being immune, but that also is a very cheap comic book thing to do.

It's okay, I dont have a problem with the fights, but the protagonist is so dumb

Am I the only one that likes Finn Jones in the part?
I find his zen hippy manchild portrayal refreshing, they should have doubled down on that and incorporated it more into the action scenes too

Its incredibly mediocre. Worst of the Netflix Marvel shows.

>why do you guys still poop on Jessica jones?

polshitters/MRA crew

The only thing I hold against it is the fight choreography in JJ is really damned bad. It's so bad you could easily mistake Jessica's super power as "can break locks" rather than strength and flight.

They started this at the beginning and don't know why they just dropped it

They clearly wanted to do a foreigner in s foreign land kinda thing (more extreme version of crocodile Dundee) which could have been okay. They just had to say k'un lun was some hippy bullshit where there weren't personal property like that. Or some hippy bullshit to explain his naïveté. Could have been a cheap conflict when he finally takes the board meetings which could have been extra reason for the merchants to keep playing him to protect the company. Or some bullshit like that

They just never addressed it when it really could have taken a line or two

I think it's good for super hero show, I don't understand the hate.

Sure he seems like an idiot at times but that's because he hasn't had proper social life since he was 10.

I think it's really good desu

Why didn't the force of the door breaking or the punch hurt her?

nah JJ as a character is fucking awful

>le depressed early 30s single alcoholic coalburner womyn in NYC meme

fuck that shit, only good thing about JJ is the Kilgrave

Iron Fist gets better as it goes on though. The second half of the season is better than the first.

>I'l try spinning

This desu. Jessica Jones was entertaining as fuck and bretty well written

I thought you meant GoT

Well that's saying absolutely nothing.

So what's the deal with Madame Gao? She's like 500 years old or something?

There is nothing to suggest that. If anything they have suggested the opposite multiple times. He had his bro Davos, there were other people. They would sneak out and learn all these Buddhist sayings.

The only behavior that could have made sense was him being pissy like he was at that bushier school and he whooped that kid. Nothing else to suggest that he would have a reason to believe that way. Even if they showed him as a backpacker gangsta white kid, it could make sense since his taste I. Music. Maybe he became even more entranced into the wutang clan

I actually thought Jessica Jones was really boring and I kept falling asleep and waking up to her boning Luke so many times I thought I accidentally woke up and replayed the episode.

That being said, I did a rewatch and I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Luke Cage I never got through but I like it's premise as a sort of blacksploitation gimmicky show like that. When Iron Fist started I was hoping it was going to be single-shot Kung Fu type gimmicks, but it was really boring and basically lackluster in the action department. We never saw him punch an actual person with his fist. Only fucking using it as a shield and to blow up some shitty balsa wood set pieces.

The cringey fight choreography could have easily been the best thing about the show if it was shot like a Bruce Lee film with longer shots and emphasized hits rather than this modern American Jackie Chan garbage where the camera changes every 2 seconds.

i was done after purple man was nearly captured but got away after his mooks were somehow able to beat cage and jessica
he had 10 years in new york he was atleast somewhat aware of normal life even if he was rich af

I'd like to Iron Fist his boipuc if that counts

Jessica is just an unlikable main character. She has no charisma and just does the wrong thing over and over again. You find yourself caring more about Kilgrave than her. Not only that but she's incompetent.

The three other guys at least try to do the right thing and come off as decent people.

Even if that's the case, I don't see it as a flaw.

If Luke cage doubled down on the blaxploitation aspect, and didn't do the bullshit with the crazy lost brother towards the end, it could have been great

I don't even know what iron fist wanted to do. All the marvel projects have some kind of genre tied to it( Jessica jones being "noir-y", captain America 2 being a "political thriller", etc)

Other then them telling me iron fist was into kungfu, there was nothing king fun about it. The story definitely wasn't Kung-fu like. Why abandon that formula they have been doing that they know works?

Imb4 tech n9ne launches legal action against Marvel for stealing his logo

I feel that may have been intentional. Her life is in shambles and does reckless shit because he is broken. Could have been nice if she had a heart of gold, but she isn't super edgy. Just messy white girl

>triggered by a white guy doing kung fu?

If you want to see real white guy kung fu, watch Chuck Norris. IF is fake as fuck.

Daredevil S1 >= Iron Fist > Daredevil S2 > Luke Cage > Felicity Jones

If you hate it, its because you hate the MCU Netflix format and or martial arts themed shows. In which case you don't hate Iron Fist, you hate the genres.
There's no reason to give it a negative score just for this one. It's not a masterpiece, but its better than almost anything on network TV.

Hopefully soon society will realize SJW movement is cancerous and we should ignore their shitty opinions.

Yeah I really don't know either. The Kung Fu shit, music, and the proper choreography is all they needed and they fucking blew it.

If they just made it like a Bruce Lee film or something in that style without all the shitty jumpcuts it could have been great even if the story suffered. It just seemed like adult Power Rangers tier without cool suits.

Iron fist was not aartial arts themed show. It shared none of the elements which make martial arts what they are and there wasn't even any convincing fight scenes

No user no

It absolutely is not better than any capeshit tv shows. It is the equivalent of a weak Arrow episode at its best.

As a martial arts show, it is horrible. There are more episodes then there are fight scenes. The fights carry no weight, they abused quick cuts in a way that makes the hits not mean anything and the fights don't seem smooth

Why are the fight scenes of Into the Badlands better than this? Can't be the actors because Into The Badlands made some unhealthy people look cool fighting. This has marvel money and Netflix money.

It is a show that keeps saying Danny rand can kick ass, but they haven't shown him doing it much.

>I read the USA Today review and it included words like "mansplaining" and "cultural appropriation"
>"mansplaining"
Woman explains backstory and lore to a man = exposition
Woman explains backstory and lore to a woman = exposition
Man explains backstory and lore to a man = exposition
Man explains backstory and lore to a woman = mansplaining

Exactly this. Iron Fist deserves to be thrown to the bottom just due to laziness.

Network capeshit is the fucking worst.
You're going to tell me Iron Fist is worse than this shit? Come on user.

youtube.com/watch?v=p9TgdDpVLS8
youtube.com/watch?v=AL4yesNM4HE

If judging capeshit shows as a whole, Iron Fist is like A-. If judging it as a netflix show is maybe a C.

>You find yourself caring more about Kilgrave than her.

Maybe you do, psycho.

I watched two episodes before taking a break and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Didn't see why it's been getting so much hate. And my mother has not stopped watching it for like... five hours so far? So she's pretty into it.

To be fair, neither of us have seen the other three Marvel shows. I just gave Iron Fist a try because the premise interested me the most, and she got interested too. But I'm really starting to think the critics are just mad about him being a white guy, like you said, to the extent that they pick on trivial things and act like that's "the real reason" why it's supposedly bad. I saw people shit talking the fight scenes too but those have looked pretty good to me. I think they saw one not so good fight scene and decided it was representative of the whole show.

A white bro explaining martial arts to Asian woman who runs a martial arts school is mansplaining

IN HER OWN DOJO!

>Finn jones
i find him charismatic and endearing but his character is just naive, they need to write him better.

It feels like they just wanted to get it out of the way and get to Defenders.

A female buddhist monk showing an inner-city male dojo-master that he must question what he believes he knows is not mainsplaining.
A female buddhist monk showing an inner-city female dojo-master that she must question what she believes she knows is not mainsplaining.
A male buddhist monk showing an inner-city male dojo-master that he must question what he believes he knows is not mainsplaining.
A male buddhist monk showing an inner-city female dojo-master that she must question what she believes she knows suddenly becomes mainsplaining because of their genders. No. That's sexist.

I don't see what their ethnicities have to do with whether or not it's mansplaining. Isn't it more gender-oriented? Wouldn't you call it whitesplaining or something?
Weird that you'd say their race has something to do with it. If it was a white woman and an asian man, would it still be mansplaining?

Remember that it's a kungfu show

Make it past where they just ignore and drop the whole Danny rand being insane thing. Or the abrupt belligerent sexual tension between Danny and Colleen.

Don't read these spoilers until you finish friendo
or the bullshit of Harold coming out with no real repercussion or effect? Or the fact that the hand were spying on meechums room and they didn't hear or see anything that was happening? Or the sea coming after Danny then just say It's okay lol" or Danny fighting for the company the. Dropping it off like it's nothing, making the whole fight for the company or name pointless

It was made by the Lumberjack Dexter guy.

Was it? If I knew this, I would have never wasted my time on it.

Yep. Show runner for Iron Fist was the show runner for the last two seasons of Dexter, and he personally wrote that ending.

Mansplaining is when a less qualified or knowledgeable man explains to a more qualified or knowledgeable woman shit she already knows.

Danny has spent the last 15 years learning to punch shit with an SFX fist. Colleen has spent the last 15 years learning to be a honey pot Hand recruiter.

If he'd picked up her sword and started lecturing her on Kenjutsu then fine, that would be mansplaining because he actually knows fuck all about Japanese shit. But that never happened and she even has a go at him for waving it around like he's in a chop-socky movie.

Not that her style was actually any more correct, but still.

I didn't watch the show, nor did I read any reviews. I'm not SJW, nor am I offended in a serious sense by the show, or "triggered" in any way.

Except that the pics that I've seen are absolutely ridiculous and the idea of a scrawny white guy with a groomed beard fighting Kung Fu against crime in an American city is so ridiculous, so infantile, such a terrible poor idea... I have more pity than offense. And it doesn't matter if the character was like that before or not, the idea was ridiculous back then as well, but why carry on? Why not make him a cool chinese? Make the character better somehow for fucks sake or don't even make a show of that character.

I don't feel the need for any theory or argument, it's not about history of kung fu or whatever. Just look at it. It's a hipster fighting coreographed fights elevated to the status of a hero. It's as campy and bad as it sounds.

Get a jackie chan type guy who is actually extremely skilled in martial arts and general choreography since people are gonna watch the show anyway.

>Mansplaining is when a less qualified or knowledgeable man explains to a more qualified or knowledgeable woman shit she already knows.

No, that's not it. It's not in the actual experience that there is a problem, but in the assumed experience. Experience is debatable and you never know anyone enough to assume you know what the person knows about things. So when a male mechanic explains to a woman what a screwdriver does, he assumes she doesn't know it. Perhaps the woman is far less experienced than the man but still know what a screwdriver does. But even if she didn't know, the problem is that the person always assume she doesn't. Whereas with men, it is not the same treatment.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't here really.

Make him Asian? Stereotyping and not respecting the source material.

Make him white? REEE CULTURAL APPROPRIATION AND MIGHTY WHITEY!

Too many people pre-judged it on that basis alone. I mean it's not some dazzlingly awesome examination of the human condition that in 500 years will be studied in place of Shakespeare, but it is a competently executed show. No more than competent, though.

I would say it feels pretty redundant, ultimately. What does he add? A white dude who uses Asian martial arts to beat the shit out of the Hand. Just like Daredevil. Who they already have for their team.

I kinda feel like it would have been better if they had made the last Defender the Punisher. Have him follow the trail of the Blacksmith and uncover the Hand's heroin conspiracy, then go to Daredevil because shit has gotten /weird/ and he knows DD fights ninjas.

Same problem with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, really. Two super-strong bricks trying to deal with PTSD in their own way, such power variation, much character differentiation, wow.

Are you mansplaining what mansplaining means to me?

The balls on you dude

If you guys think Luke Cage is better than the man with the dragon tattoo, I really don't know what to say.
Luke Cage's plot was 98% padding, boring and meaningless shit.
PULL THE TRIGGA, NIGGA

Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow do have better fight scenes than Iron Fist.
Even if it's just pointlessly flipping around it's at least something.

I think I understand what they were aiming for. Making the fights slower so that attacks appear to have more weight to them.
But the editing ruins it completely and in the end they look both slow and weak.

>fuck anything that uses the line "IF YOU KILL THEM YOU'LL BE JUST LIKE THEM AND OR NO BETTER THAN THEM" unironically.
What about Batman

>I find his zen hippy manchild portrayal refreshing, they should have doubled down on that and incorporated it more into the action scenes too
This is part of the problem. His characterization was too inconsistent. Whether it was deliberately inconsistent or not, it just didnt work.

critics/hbo shills fucking love got.

Why didnt she force push him away like last time?

Things I remember from Luke Cage:

-PULL THE TRIGGER NIGGER
-Based Cottonmouth
-Dumb-ass costume for final boss
-Soundtrack

Things I remember from Ironfist:
-Colleen Wing has a nice rack

Luke Cage had some genuinely good shit in it, along with some stuff that was just abysmal. Ironfist doesn't have anything that's really bad, but also doesn't have anything really good in it either. It's mostly just... there. Workmanlike, 5/10, nothing to really remember aside from Colleen. And if Colleen is the only thing I'm gonna remember from Iron Fist they kinda missed the mark.

Yeah, it goes from hot diarrhea to solid poop.

Tell me about Danny Rand, does he ever wear the mask?

>trying2hard to punch an old lady

Fucking retarded.

"No, I'm not going to decapitate the Joker and cremate him and shoot his ashes into the sun even though I totally could, I'm going to send him to a criminal justice system that will lock him up in an asylum he keeps escaping from and then kills thousands of people for the lols just like always."

Not wanting to kill isn't bad in and of itself. But if it's like the fiftieth time you've refused to gank someone you know is never going to change, well. Fuck you and the bat you dress up as.

No, but we see the previous Iron Fist Orson? That was singlehandedly the best action in the entire series and it was black and white grainy shakycam footage

>not remebering dem big ol titties
shame

in each episode, there are segments where there is just emotional and plot and dialogue dead space

its that feel at a party where you're trying to impress a girl and she's so tired and also she can't get much interest but she's trying not to be rude so she listens and you can sense this and you don't want to waste her time so you finish your lame story and then you politely part ways

that's what this series is like

Maybe they should just put Coleen in Defenders

>Is this show actually bad or are the critics just triggered by a white guy doing kung fu?

Literally
a fucking tragedy

Think her and Misty are going to be in it. Just not official members.

Colleen also had that delicious mushu pork booty

I'd general tso'd that ass if you know what I mean

I'm a little over halfway through, and it feels a bit like a Youtube fan film. The acting from our two main characters is a bit stilted, and the fights have a very basic feel to them - maybe it's because kung fu is a little too generic nowadays? But the story is intriguing enough to keep watching, at least. If you could handle the second half of Daredevil S2, you can handle this.

It's awful

Worst """"adaption""""" I've ever seen. Fuck this show for wasting my time and fuck cape shit in general.

how many super heroes does one city need

Rand isn't a superhero. He doesn't do anything heroic once. Makes no attempt to save anyone's life. Only thing he did was sell the pills at cost

It's fucking new york, there's like a 100 crimes being committed a minute.

more entertaining than luke cage
no more cringy than S2 daredevil

luke cage and JJ get a pass since they feature blacks and wfbm sex

>Makes no attempt to save anyone's life.

He fucking had a chance to get rid of The Hand for good but choose to save some random heroin chemist's daughter's life instead.