My favourite Western-style building is unironically Tokyo Station

My favourite Western-style building is unironically Tokyo Station.

youtu.be/4NAIhg809ZQ
youtu.be/cZpcyk9pLpM

my faverit is inirenically latan american barroque

>ywn live in Meiji era Ginza before the US firebombed Tokyo to dust like the cowardly war criminals they are

>a huge Neo-Gothic abomination

The fuck did I do?

>tfw the soviet union didnt nuke the us to oblivion during the cold war
What could have been...

Gave overkill a new meaning by dropping a shitton of bombs on civilian buildings with the sole purpose of demoralising the enemy, committing a completely disproportionate abominable act of barbarism eclipsed only by the dropping of the nuclear bombs

Kill yourself

exist

> ñññyyyaaaaaaa
lol, little bitch

Even Le Corbusier would have churned out something that is marginally less of an eyesore.

I liked it.
The entire danube river is filled with breath taking architecture.

Yeah? Well fuck em!

Thank you pole for giving your 2 cents on architecture

>hating on based Steindl's masterpiece
fucking plebs

The garden is ugly. But the building is nice.

>ctrl+c, ctrl+v

Just ignore all kys posts by Mexican flags, not a clue what is it that sets off that autist but he's either a gringo or a comitted self hater

Rudniev was a soviet architect with a healthier regard for local esthetics than most, though.

>generic neo-classicist shit is good
t. pleb who is too uneducated to form his own opinion, so he just likes whatever the ruling class liked a hundred years ago and sees it as "high culture"

I am sorry if i don't appreciate every commie block that is exactly a copy of the bauhaus.

>an italian saying this

I really don't know where to begin
but Romanesque in general is severely underrated

You can't be serious when you say Le C*rbusier's works are better than the Hungarian Parliament

>it has columns so it must be neo-classicism
>the only uniquely Japanese interpretation of American 19th low-rise avenue architecture is "generic"

It is hard to tell what I'm looking at, though.
Each segment feels like something that would do well as a facade highlight by itself, but when they are pressed into one repetitive continuity, there are NO highlights to be found at all.

All in all it looks like a historical design straight from gook mmorpg games where artists try to bring out the most out of each style by complicating them needlessly.

no, every other architectural style is fine (except maybe pomo bullshit and glass dildos), but neo-classicist and neo-gothic architecture are pure cancer.

personally, I'm a big sucker for romanesque architecture, but also for functionalism. in many aspects, functionalism was a return to a more humble architecture, and an abandonment of the decadence and gaudiness of neo-classicism.

>Le Corbusier
>bad

cuck

>personally, I'm a big sucker for romanesque architecture, but also for functionalism. in many aspects, functionalism was a return to a more humble architecture, and an abandonment of the decadence and gaudiness of neo-classicism.
Have you ever been inside a Japanese house? They really take functionalism to a completely different level.

>tfw your country will never make great things again
JUST

Since our insults are going no where. What you guys think about Chinese "European revival"? (yes, i made up this word)

looks like some weird 19th century colonial city that would be in west africa

or cuba

to some degree, I agree on this. that's not the case for the buildings in the OP, though. they are generic westaboo buildings.

you just have to look close enough maybe, and not base your opinion on a distant photograph

Indeed it's strange. But i like how they put everything together mixing with bits of traditional Asian architecture and decoration.

The buildings here were generally designed to have a hall in the western style where people could leave their coat and shoes, and a living room in the zashiki style with all its functionalism

Maybe if the stonework on the volumes jutting out of the roof were made out of visibly different material from ground facade, it would have looked better.

I personally don't particularly like the train station, there's too much ornament for a style which IMHO works best when it's clean, it's too busy, it doesn't "breath" Having said that this is Japan and you can't judge on the same sensibilities you would use for Europe or the Americas. OTOH works for me, it's a not unpleasant mix of styles.

I can respect you may not like neo-classic or neo-gothic, there's certainly more than a few gaudy examples, but IMHO they do work in appropiate contexts when done tastefully. Wholesale dismissing entire schools/styles seems a bit extreme.

you're not really italian, are you?

This. I'm pretty sure that's the butthurt Moldavian guy posting this shit and not an actual Italian.

That was 20th century tho, it's not colonial

OP here.
>"buildings"
It's only one building, though.

Anyway I'll use this post to thank you all for your contributions to this thread, I was afraid it would die off instantly :3

>butthurt Moldavian guy

Any clue to this?
Albanimals - who are more likely to migrate into Italy - tend to be more obnoxious and opinionated, whereas Moldavians had their souls permanently crushed out of their bodies.

speaking of westabooism
this crap is currently being build in china

>meanwhile they build their stupid pagoda restaurants all across the western world

looks like a total war game
>gods.. I hate Gauls

It actually looks nice. (not a big fan of the greek revival)

Corbusier
>Furniture : Godlike
>Archtecture : Pretty good for comfy offices
>Civic Planning : just_fuck_my_society_up_fam.doc

OP here again.

Now I don't know about that specific complex, but I would imagine it's in the same vein of the fake Paris in China and similar soulless abominations.

Come on, you can't compare that kind of expression of westabooism to the beautiful and original building I posted...

The astragal molding below the caps gives the columns away as Roman Doric order, and Greek temples have free standing columns all around the building.
If anything it would be some sort of Roman revival.

Can't tell if comfy or horrifyingly fake

But the roman revival is not about muhh archs?

Also, thanks for the information.

Looks like plaster, I really hope this is a university and not a shopping mall. If it's residential this is abominable.

>But the roman revival is not about muhh archs?
Not when you're building some sort of fake temples
>Also, thanks for the information.
No problem! We're forced to learn stuff like that in some high schools here, along with actual Latin and Ancient Greek.

lovely

>We're forced to learn stuff like that in some high schools here, along with actual Latin and Ancient Greek.
Nice. I envy you guys.

if that was in germany or italy youd be celebrating it

I don't think so, it does look kinda cheap

That's a pretty unfair comparison. Newly built nouveau riche houses obviously look a lot better in Europe, and those flats are masterpieces of comfiness compared to Chinese gommieblocks

i wouldn't, cuz it looks like shit

Derp, didn't realise your pic is actually in China.

So that actually is residential? Holy fuck, the cringe

There is a Moldavian guy living in Italy that keeps shitposting all over int and "il filo", every time you read "shitalian" from a poster with the Italian flag, it's him.

Why would it be better if it's a university?

see?

hipocricy, btw you could find that style in probably eveyr country in the world. look for judiciary buildings, political buildings. its always muh neoclassic. many of these buildings over time become celebrated and iconic. buenos aires cathedral for example.

except you can do good neoclassic and bad neoclassic
the chinese example is a very bad case

There'd at least be some noble intention behind that even if the execution is terrible, neo-classic and revival are styles you do often see on a campus. So if it's say Western style education it would make sense to create a public space like that.

>comfiness compared to Chinese gommieblocks
what about these ones?

Do you realize those are just western buildings, that have been planned and designed by Europeans, just because they are being built outside of Europe it doesn't mean the style suddenly become universal.

Your picture is international style, obviously you'd see it all over the world, but neo-classic for public buildings should really only be athing in Western countries and even then not for recent construction as the style is outdated already.

>buenos aires cathedral
That's a generic facade and it's not even proper masonry.

I actually like Neo-classic better.
Pathetic

>Neo-gothic
Very nice.

Forgot pic.

yeah sure m8 every architect of the world is european. lol, dellusion
thats not international style its post modern. and neoclassic is a thing everywhere, all over the world and will always be. in china, or india, or africa too.

do it again bomber harris

every architect is either european or inspired by europeans. we just do it better

modern buildings annoy me. not only are they soulless but they also lack identity. you get a clear picture of what a french, italian or german city looks like but it's hard to tell the difference between an american, australian and canadian city

Fair enugh, I stand corrected. As for neo-classic most of what was built outside the West (I am including Latin America as West here) would be considered colonial. Sure you can do cringey homes like that but specifically for public buildings it would be wholly inappropiate, regardless of whether anyone will try.

> we
tell me more about danish """""architecture"""
> inb4 BIG
> inb4 jorn utzon

>we
Are danes not European?
>tell me about danish architecture
>but don't tell me about big danish architects
aight

I don't know man. Those styles were children of their times. Placing Form over Function rather than the opposite (which is what we see in post industrial architecture).

I think is fine adding some elements from this styles. But more often than not, people built shitty copies that do not make justice to the original and is rather an insult to it.

I agree for the most part but let's be fair, a lot of it is people wanting their cities to look like or rival New York or Chicago, you could hardly call the style out of place in the US and they did develop other unique styles (their Southwestern mision style does look very different from the stuff on our side of the border, there's plantation style, etc.) Canadians did build a lot of very conservative architecture which does give their cities a style different from the Americans, the Ausies were bold enough to experiment (the Sidney Opera) and were in turn also imitated.

It's hard to say these nations did not try IMHO and they still hold some great examples of how you can actually build in those styles with a soul.

I'm not a big fan of revival tbqh, we have one of those in Zamora which is a beautiful 19th century plan (pictured) but overall these buildings feel anachronistic and out of place, I'd much rather have baroque and churrigueresque that does feel authentic.

Gothic, as in the original, belongs in Europe for the most part, leaving aside some later motifs and influences.

thats because those are memechitects, only british and americans can presume of establishing an international architectural presence

> form vs function
no, form is king period. here's a tip: craftmanship and time are the values youre looking for. time decides legitimacy, and in that regard most past copies of styles or buildings ended up with value . the real problem of that villa, besides its awful aesthetic hierarchy and disposition, is the shitty materials it was most likely built with. besides that, there's nothing disimilar to the revivals of early 20th century. time or history, albert speer spoke about ruin value.

same shit different time

This is really neat. That reminds me. I have always wanted to see what it would look like if you blended east Asian styles (particularly Japan) with Spanish mission style. For some reason I think it would work due to having some shared structural characteristics.

To be fear. Wasn't that design influenced by the Garden City movement? The Administration building was inaugurated in 1914, at that time said urbanistic movement was very popular.
The Buildings look like typical Zonean Architecture.

Correct me if I am wrong.

yes but afaik the garden city deals with urban layout, and living. . zonian institutional architecture is classic in inspiration but ofc + long eaves and other adaptations

>Chinese "European revival"
Thats not revivalism, thats 19th century colonial townhouse in hongkong-singapore