All memes aside, what is the second most popular sport in the world? Soccer is number 1 by a mile obviously...

All memes aside, what is the second most popular sport in the world? Soccer is number 1 by a mile obviously. I am talking about world wide, not just specific to an area with a large population like American football or cricket

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Rankings
icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/test
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

basketball

pro wrestling

Probably basketball since it's huge in China. That's almost 15% of the world's population.

>Soccer is number 1 by a mile obviously
It's cricket doe

Internationally, and in developed countries, it's tennis.

cricket, rugby, baseball, basketball, depending how you want to measure it. they are all pretty comparabl

just because it is played in countries with high population doesnt mean its globally popular. its only played in like 10 countries.
rugby is played in more countries than that. its just not played in india/bangledesh/pakistan so its not as "popular" as cricket.

might be (real) wrestling, I guess it depends how you define popularity (participants vs. live audiences vs. tv ratings)

You really think that is only place where cricket popular?
What about, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Zimbabwe, The Carribean.. the list goes on. It is very obviously the worlds second most sport.

where in the carribean is cricket the most popular sport?

Probably this, as it's basically indoor povertyball.

a similar list can be made for basketball desu

Literally
>Tripadvisor and Trivago

Well I sure football is most popular but the west indies are big in cricket.

Basket or cricket

So one country out of how many?
Last I checked the most popular sport among actually sizeable Caribbean countries is either baseball or soccer.

Track and field if we're talking participation and not fans.

you basically just proved my point that it is only played in a handful of countries. i never said it was only played in india/pakisan/bangladesh. i just said their huge population inflates its global significance.
meanwhile rugby is enjoyed in basically every corner of the earth.

is that a roomba

how many countries is rugby popular in? 10ish? similar to cricket desu

Probably basket

no cricket is considered a first/national sport in more countries than rugby, and also rugby has 2 codes so idk whether you would even count it as one sport. I know cricket has T20 but its still the same sport really..

griggit

Rugby is popular in Europe, Oceania, South America and Canada

That's just futsal.

There are more pro basketball leagues around the world in a wider variety of countries than cricket leagues.

Would it be field hockey then? I wouldnt count cricket because of India. Same I would count american football on the list cause it is played in 2 countries

cricket is way bigger than rugby you fucking mong

well the canada part is just plain wrong. and aside from oceania (two sizable countries and a handful of islands), it's also unpopular throughout large portions of europe and south america. realistically:

Rugby - ireland, UK, south africa, australia, nz, argentina, uruguay, chile, france, italy, japan oceania

cricket: uk, south africa, australia, nz, india, bangladesh, pakistan, sri lanka, zimbabwe, afghanistan, caribbean

basketball: usa, canada, spain, greece, turkey, lithuania, russia, china, philippines, australia, serbia, croatia, slovenia, france

baseball: usa, canada, caribbean, some of mexico, some of colombia, venezuela, japan, taiwan, south korea

none of these are even close to soccer, and i think you're sort of splitting hairs among them

when you look at the world rankings for either sport, there are 25 countries listed that play rugby union.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Rankings
while there are only 10 countries listed under cricket
>icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/test

so how is it more global??

>Rugby is popular in canada

Since when? It's literally not even a top 3 football code.

Boxing is pretty worldwide.

claiming this thread in the name of /cric/

>well the canada part is just plain wrong

I wouldn't go that far. We have been playing rugby for a long time. I think a testament to its popularity here is that all 3 of my high schools had rugby teams.

well for one, the west indies isn't a country and comprises of roughly 25 countries.
For two, you are only counting countries that play tests. ODI' and T20's there are 18, plus the many from the west indies I have already mentioned.

that's test you fucking retard. few countries are granted test status. number of countries is a terrible criteria

it isn't. barely anyone knows it's a sport

are you retarded mate

the sport's attendance record is under 21,000. Though it does look like has a large participation number

>2 blokes punching eachother is a sport
what's that all about?

even if you include the other forms of cricket it is still played in fewer countries than rugby, rajeet. meaning that it isnt as globally significant. cricket doesnt even have a foothold in north america, and is barely even followed in south america. meanwhile rugby has a following every where.

Just ignore my point that proves you wrong ok.

sanctioned violence my nigga.

Boxing, MMA, fighting of all sorts

>rugby vs cricket discussion
>Brazil plays neither

If I'm taking Brazil as reference it's probably basketball

Boxing is in for a good shout. It might not be as popular as football or even other sports like cricket if looked at from the perspective of weekly viewers but whenever the big fights come around you get 10s of millions of people watching these events. People go round to their mates houses and everything. It's a huge global event.

But Brazil plays rugby

Everyone plays rugby, they just suck at it.

>trying this hard to be relevant

the entire British Caribbean barring the Bahamas

That's countries that play test cricket, which is a restricted list. The "West Indies" is a conglomerate that includes a dozen or so countries.

There's plenty of countries in Asia, Oceania and the Pacific where cricket is a major sport but aren't and never will be allowed to play tests.

everey single one of the english speaking islands

its not that popular in europe outside Britain and north west france

and league is the only form that's popular in Oceania outside of New Zealand, and even then it's the third biggest sport in Australia

It's cycling and you already knew this to be true.

You do realize the "West Indies" cricket team is the caribbean not some indian shit. Also one of, if not thee best cricket players is from Trinidad and Tabsco

100% basketball. It's huge in Europe and the biggest sport in China along with ping pong/football.

Cricket is probably also a contender because it's so huge in India and the Pacific, but I wouldn't count it because it's only popular in the those specific countries. Same argument for rugby

cycling is very niche in most countries
by that logic, golf, field hockey and tennis would also be hugely popular sports

There is no #2 because it's completely up for debate. Basketball and cricket have shitloads of people, baseball and rugby have shitloads of countries.

baseball and rugby combined have less countries than cricket

If you are talking test cricket which is the only REAL form of the game there isn’t a single West Indian player who would count amongst the top 10.

Smith and Kholi are so far out ahead of the rest of the pack at the moment it’s not even funny

>Basketball has shitloads of people
>baseball and rugby have shitloads of countries

wat

Based on population its Cricket
Based on amount of countries that play it, Basketball, Rugby or Hockey, most likely Rugby

What the fuck is a test?

Field hockey is literally on the list BECAUSE of India.Cricket is popular outside of the subcontinent, poor argument.

a way of discovering, by questions or practical activities, what someone knows, or what someone or something can do or is like

Either tennis or basketball.

Cricket probably

No, more countries play Cricket than Rugby, how many different ways does this have to be said to you Canada

equestrian dressage

It's basketball for sure, then rugby probably.

Bravo was up there in the top 5 for a bit

I even rated him above Kohli

No way baseball is even close world wide. It's only really big in the US and latin America and everyone I've talked to in Europe literally hates it.

I'd say basketball, tennis, or cricket

Volleyball senpai

Athletics.

It's about how spread out the interest for a sport is in the world, across countries and continents.

India and Australia plus a bunch of satelite 5 km by 5 km countries/islands doesn't mean cricket is "popular in the world". It's not.
It means, well, exactly it: it's popular in about two or three hot regions which include a couple of the world's biggest and most populated countries, and that's it.

Almost any city in the world you're dropped in you're bound to find football, basketball and tennis courts/pitches. That's not the whole picture, but it's certainly a clue.

Pic related
>And this year's Cricket """"""World"""""" Cup Winner is... Oh, right

yeah Australia is just too good at cricket and don't let anyone else win

no one is arguing that soccer isn't the biggest sport in the world by miles, but the mere existence of basketball and tennis courts doesn't mean it's popular in a country. I literally don't know a single person into either sport in Australia and we have plenty of courts. I don't think you can count them or something like golf and hockey when they have such a small fanbase. It's like pointing to the Indian expat population in other countries and saying they like cricket because of them

It's popular in Japan and China also. Plus in some Latin American countries it's much more popular than soccer.

Forumla 1

It's pretty popular in Asian countries as well. But yeah it's definitely not the world's most popular by any means. I don't think it's cricket either though.

My guess would probably be tennis or basketball.

Rugby isnt even in the conversation. For team sports I would say its basketball, but a decent argument can be made for cricket and baseball also. If you invlude individual sports, boxing and tennis are up there also.

Cricket easily because its the most popular sport among pretty much everyone on the indian subcontinent as well as shit like Australia. That is well over a billion people whose most favorite sport is cricket.

Tennis

It could honestly be cricket, as much as it pains me to say. Its kind of hard to compare due to income disparities between sports' fans though

Basketball

>muh income disparities
there's more middle class indians than there are american citizens

>basketball and tennis courts doesn't mean it's popular in a country
Altough not inmediately related, it IS symptomatic of it, yes, and translates into consumption as well.
If you were to ask in the remaning 95% of the world "which sport is cricket", a HUGE part of common people wouldn't be able to even identify it, let alone tell you its basics. That doesn't happen with basketball, tennis, even boxing, rugby, golf... it certainly can't happen with any sport that pretends to be Nº 2 in popularity world wide.

The longest form of a cricket match, played over 5 days