Black movies

Just watched moonlight, fences and hidden figures. I thought they were boring and artsy fartsy for the most part. But my question is, are these movies getting such high praise simply because it revolves around black people fighting for their rights? Or am I just a white cunt? I almost feel like people are afraid to not give this movie praise because if they don't they will be labeled a racist

>because if they don't they will be labeled a racist

ding

>No original thoughts: the post

>I almost feel like people are afraid to not give this movie praise because if they don't they will be labeled a racist
Bingo. It's the perfect defense against criticism. There is no way movies like this can be made without the specter of racism hanging over them.

Moonlight isn't about rights.

Now to answer your question, personally I praise these movies only to prove to myself that black people have souls too. It makes me feel more comfortable.

I'll 2nd that and add that this is indeed the reason they are made.

I know moonlight isn't about rights. Fences and hidden figures is. And I also feel like these movies are getting such high praise from white people who are really eager to prove that they're not racist. These movies aren't horrible, but I don't think they're anything worth mentioning either. They're just, alright.

>Or am I just a white cunt?

Ding!

>But my question is, are these movies getting such high praise simply because it revolves around black people fighting for their rights?

I feel the exact same way about all of those boring and artsy films about white people that I don't like. This includes books, too.

>moonlight
>artsy fartsy
Do you know what cinematography is, my brother?
And Denzel deserved Best Actor desu

I agree that hidden fences wasn't that good, Fences was a Lil overrated, but none of these are bad movies. There aren't enough SJWs in the world to make an actual shitty movie really overrated. No, it's not some big agenda, just that people are dumb and most people in the academy don't actually watch the nominated films.

Chances are you'd probably be bored by them if the characters had the same skin colour as you anyway.

>I thought they were boring and artsy fartsy for the most part.

I think the problem is that you're an utter pleb.

>Moonlight
>Fences
>about black people fighting for their rights
Ok so you clearly havent seen either film.
What you've said applies to Hidden Figures for sure, that film was shit and people only like it because of virtue signaling.
Moonlight and Fences have literally nothing to do with themes of identity politics (at least in terms of race) and there is absolutely no scenes where the characters get on a soapbox and yell at white people.

I agree with all of those but Moonlight. It was a little artsy, but I thought it earned its acclaim considering the trash that came out last year.

Denzel always kills it

That some not what I'm saying. I know the movies aren't about hating white people. I'm just asking if these movies get such high praise because they focus on black people and if Hollywood would give any Oscar to a movie that focuses on black people because they don't wanna come off racist

Those movies are all good though. Yeah some leftists might overrate them because black people but from a writing and acting standpoint they're on par with your typical awards season flicks.

Yeah, this.
You also need to consider the lack of minority representation in the Oscars previously and how the criticism of it reached its peak around last year's Academy Awards, so naturally there is going to be a reaction to it.
I've yet to see Fences and Hidden Figures, and it looks like they will be pretty good, but not great. They don't have to be the best films of the year to get wide recognition and be nominated by the Academy. There are countless examples of films that aren't that great that have been nominated before, and great films that have been left out. And speaking of the Academy - period pieces generally get more recognition there.
There's a sea of overrated films out there. Keep in mind how people hate Birth of a Nation now. Of course the rape accusations play in to that, but still. A black movie, about black rights, that was very mediocre and completely shut down.
And also, Hidden Figures currently has 92% on RT. That doesn't mean all the critics think it's great. Just that 92% are more positive than negative.

I'm sure it might play into it a bit, but I really don't think it's to a large extent at all.

Think about it like this. If black movies were praised automatically for having black people in them then Tyler Perry wouldn't be known as a complete idiot

Does it make you guys feel better thinking that black movies only succeed critically because of this? Because Get Out was a critical success, and by all accounts a fun "flick" rather than fall Oscarbait, and Sup Forums said the same thing.

No I don't think that. I saw every film amongst the 9 nominees, and Moonlight was the best of the 9, with MbtS being a close second. Fences was also top tier as well. Neither have anything to do with black people fighting for their rights. They're just well made films, and you're an idiot for not being able to see that. I also like how you don't apply your standard to any of the other films, like Manchester, Lion, and Arrival, which all can be described as "boring artsy" films, but about Whites and Indians.