/who/ - Doctor Who General

Victory of the Daleks edition

Previously on /who/ -

Ah right. Is there any way for me to get to them without souring the thread or anything then? I can delete my posts.

Worst Gatiss episode.

Redpill /who/ on these secret MEGA societies for Doctor Who.

Shit taste confirmed. Victory was awesome and so were the new Daleks. I hate how Moffat redid them again in series 7.

Valeyard return when? I think 13 might end up being the Valeyard.

Is this one of those bait things?

More than likely.

what is "The Idiots Lantern"?

Victory of the Daleks were not all bad. And I like how it delivered what title promised.

Sleep no More was just the worst thing ever.

Theoretically speaking how long would it take for a person to watch all of classic who, listen to every audio and watch all of new who without sleeping? remember that this is all theoretical.

Watching Classic Who straight-through takes two weeks. Audios just make it silly, that would probably be around six months straight through.

It gets tricky with audio because big finish fucking sucks at organizing their content neatly. It's really absurd and I would imagine that it actually hurts there business because it's so hard to find anything other than random piles of stories. You would probably have to just take rough averages for story times for different ranges and do a bit of math homework on it.

I would like to raise "The Crimson Horror".

And theoretically what would happen to a man that has watched all of classic who straight-through?

Why are you not reading all the novels and comics and trading cards, pleb?

Even if you don't like it, there's probably some you like less.

Would die of exhaustion.

I've done it but I "cheated" by meddling with the playback speed. Took us around two days. Basically just zipping through and reading subtitles for most stories, then slowing it down for ones I particularly like. I ended on Survival, not the TV movie, because I feel like the McGann era is distinct from both Classic and New Who.

I don't really recommend it. Just watch what stories you'd like. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan and I'll tell you straight out that the vast majority of Classic Who, and a significant portion of Big Finish and New Who, is absolutely terrible. Just go for the great stuff and the stuff that appeals to you the most IMO.

Just four nights of no sleep was enough to drive Gareth over the edge...

I've actually not watched either in quite a while but I remember thinking the crimson horror was alright. Yeah it had the paternoster gang but I enjoyed the other characters.
Idiots Lantern on the other hand, I just get PTSD flashbacks to a screaming box

On all levels, except physical, he would become THE DOCTOR WHO

I can't agree with that. I spent 4 years watching the classic series in order casually and I feel that doing so brings more enjoyment out of most stories. There is more continuity between stories than most people give off. After watching a single story though, I would get mentally tired. I can't even imagine how it would be possible to stay focused through every single serial.

That's fair enough, it does come down to taste and opinion after all. I suppose people should just try out what tactic works best for them.

That's true, and really you make a great point about big finish. It's really horrible to sit through a 2 hour audio drama that is absolute shit.

It's funny, a lot of the older Big Finish audios I have trouble sitting through, the 2 hour ones, but some of the newer stuff - the 4 hour UNIT: Dominion, ~4 hour for each Dark Eyes set, etc. - I have no problem listening to in one sitting.

I think it's not just the length that matters, but the pacing too. They structure the stories differently now.

They definitely pace the new stuff differently.

>Writer's guidelines for the Virgin New Adventures specifically asked writers not to discuss the continuity issues created by the Valeyard or the Doctor's trial in The Trial of a Time Lord, branding the Valeyard "a continuity nightmare, and a rather dull villain", and took the official line that those events had taken place in the Doctor's personal future.
If even VNA call him "a continuity nightmare", it's pretty certain that he'll never appear on screen again. Unless the writer will be a total madman.

Valeyard is in a weird state of being an important character from era nobody likes or cares about. You can't shove something this important on the sideline, you can't make it a focus either.

It sucks because the Ultimate Foe was the best story of the season. At least part one was.

Who knows, maybe that clip of Chinballs talking shit about season 23 will go not-really-viral and persuade him to fix that shit up.

What stories do you guys recommend?

Any doctor in particular?

Just like every single one of Darvill-Evans' rules, that one was ignored by the writers, and he let them do it. Room with No Doors and Head Games both dug into the continuity issues raised by the Valeyard.

Meanwhile, The Valeyard also reappeared in the VMAs, PDAs, EDAs, Big Finish, and comics. Most of those times, they didn't get into the continuity issues, they just used the character. Which is exactly what the TV show would do.

And the comics already toyed with both of the things people keep suggesting as clever new ideas. In The Forgotten, an illusory Handy pretends that he's the Valeyard, while in The Four Doctors, Ten thinks Twelve must be the Valeyard.

For the classic show?

My absolute favourites that aren't particularly continuity-heavy are:

The City of Death (4th Doctor)
The Caves of Androzani (5th Doctor)

Did we ever figure out whether Tom Baker stands to take his shit or does he sit down to void himself?

>implying that Tom Baker ever needs to shit

Tom baker era

City of Death, Pyramids of Mars, Genesis of the Daleks, Talons of Weng-Chiang

>City of Death
>Robots of Death
>Genesis of the Daleks (of Death)

That gets you one each of his three major companions. If you want another for one of them, Pyramids of Mars for Sarah Jane, Talons of Weng-Chiang for Leela, Warriors' Gate for Romana.

>Robots of Death

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrobophobia!

>Just like every single one of Darvill-Evans' rules, that one was ignored by the writers
Didn't Paul Cornell say that he may not have ever thought about showing us the Doctor's internal monologue if there hadn't been a rule against it?

12+ Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks
13+ Pyramids of Mars, The Brain of Morbius
14+ The Deadly Assassin, The Talons of Weng-Chiang
15- The Sun Makers
Season 16 is all once story
17+ City of Death
18- Warrior's Gate

List of what people would usually agree are 10/10 by season. There's more great stuff too, but Tom has the best material and it would start to get ridiculous. If I put a - that means the season didn't really have anything 10/10 but those are great stories too.

>Season 16 is all once story
But you can really watch any story of S16 standalone anyway, except for the last one, and nobody would put that as one of their top choices anyway.

That's true but nothing from that season is worth watching by itself really. It's not a bad season, it just doesn't have any one essential story.

I've converted people to Classic Who with The Pirate Planet. (Although not any NuWho people--they all either liked other 70s TV or loved Douglas Adams.)

What time is it airing, and when will the next doctor be announced?

But that's gatiss's best episode you little shit

I disagree but even if it were true, that's not really a good thing

It really isn't though.

The First Doctor is being kept hidden in the basement and this is the arc for Series 10.

The rumour is - from reliable spoilerhounds - that he emerges from the basement whilst dancing to Queen's 'I Want to Break Free' in the closing moments of Ep12

It's a fun romp and gatiss has never done any better than that

Are you fucking kidding me? That's the most retarded shit I've ever read and it may even qualify as the most embarrassing idea of all time. Seriously, what the hell?

Nope, it's been reported on by numerous reliable DWSR individuals, as well as some fairly in-the-know types at GB. Seems to be at least as legit as the Hell Bent leaks (Clara would be present, would take place "Under Gallifrey"), which turned out to be 100% true.

David Bradley will be playing the First Doctor. Capaldi is very fond of the First Doctor era, and as Series 9 was what Moff thought would be his last series, he may have said "fuck it" and just gone with this sort of thing to please Capaldi.

>Nope, it's been reported on by numerous reliable DWSR individuals
Matt Whelan even had a picture, which he posted on Gallifrey Base.

only if capaldi is playing along to queen on his guitar and david bradley is sitting on a tank when it bursts through the doors

Yeah but I wish it was 10 instead of 1 since no one really knows who 1 is and 10 is the only exciting doctor they can use since the others aged poorly and matt is busy

>the others aged poorly

? Are you implying McGann is ageing poorly?

I think if they used him then memes would officially control reality and we would all be doomed

honestly, the point about no one recognizing an old doctor is what ruins it for me
it would be balls to the wall ridiculous and stupid af but there was still a glimmer of hope until I realised that the majority of people would have no fucking clue what was going on
It would be like the war doctor all over again except it wouldn't be a new character, and everything would be really awkward

3pm tomorrow

He doesn't really look like Jon does he? i really don't see it.

he's not that far off
but he doesn't have the eyes

with the pic I meant to attach

Sleep No More was just mediocre and boring.
Victory was laughably bad.

But at least you had a laugh.

I like how Victory used Daleks. They weren't overpowered juggernauts to be defeated by a deus ex machina like RTD made them, they were scheming and had to be dealt with in relatively sensible ways.

Fake, they never use "Dr Who"

Twitch is doing Power Rangers marathon right now. It takes about 1,5 weeks to finish.
Do you think they can organise the same thing for Doctor Who? PR is getting 25-30k viewers on average.

They should do one for the 55th anniversary

Honestly I dont think it was that bad. First half is pretty fun and Doctor delivers, power of love and paradigm daleks are pretty dull, but I would not call that worst episode ever.

for new who? probably
idk about classic who. it would take about a month and I have no idea who would stay to watch it all
even most of us would get bored and leave

The first two thirds of Victory was a lot of fun, even if it was mostly borrowed from Power and smaller bits from a few other classic stories.

And I like the fact that the Daleks actually got away at the end, so we no longer need a new explanation every year for why there are Daleks again even though the very last ever Daleks and this time we mean it for real were destroyed last year.

But the last 15 minutes of the episode was a mess. The Daleks turning on all the lights, Bracewell being talked out of being a bomb, etc. It's not just that it was all stupid; stupid can be fun. It's that there was no tension behind any of it. Suddenly, with 5 minutes to go, there's a new problem, and then it gets solved and there's another one, and... who cares?

Still, I'd take 30 minutes of fun and 15 minutes of lame over 45 minutes of mediocre and boring. Definitely not my least favorite Gatiss episode.

Classic Who is about 2 weeks, I think. And everything can be enjoyable with discussion and twitch chat.

funnily enough this thread made me decide to watch some gatiss episodes again and being 10 minutes away from the end of victory of the daleks this exactly how I feel.
I paused it after the spitfires destroyed the dish and could barely bring myself to start it again.

sleep no more was good though

based on what objective qualities?

The Spitfires didn't bother me that much. The stupid Dalek lights-on plan didn't bother me that much. And I liked everything about Bracewell's story (hey, look, ripping off Eater of Wasps instead of the same four EDAs over and over!) except the fact that talking him down directly caused him not to explode.

There's so many tiny changes you could make to the script that would solve that, but Gatiss wanted to be fairy-tale Moffat without understanding how that worked, and it was so ludicrous I can't rewatch the episode without cringing knowing it's coming.

I googled it before I typed that out and it said 28 days including new who, apparently it's 21 without
you bring up a good point with twitch chat though, could be pretty comfy and fun

it was scary

I agree wholeheartedly, the whole reason I couldn't bring myself to unpause was that damn speech.

>night terrors
>cold war
fuck I forgot gatiss wrote so much. I regret this already. I thought I could just knock out victory, crimson horror, and sleep no more then go to bed

that's subjective, user

youre scaring me

also subjective, user

im crying

so?

>There's so many tiny changes you could make to the script that would solve that
Actually, a few changes would fix the entire story.

>Get rid of the Dalek lights-on laser. There's already plenty of conflict in that scene.
>No "stop the attack or we arm the bomb" thing, just arm the bomb to distract the Doctor long enough to get away.
>That means no need for space Spitfires.
>Amy doesn't talk Bracewell out of exploding. The Doctor disarms the bomb normally, but he fails to notice the more human problem that Bracewell, having learned he's a fake, sees no reason to go on living--which is exactly what he has companions for.

Just those four changes, and it's a fun episode. And it's mostly just scrapping a couple lines for each change.

thats objective

But why does it matter if you're crying?
It's an objective action but it's the result of a subjective bodily response

your hurting me

>tfw they teased us with getting a cute dalek companion, and then threw it all away and made her another 'just an ordinary lass from London'.

When Toby Whithouse takes over from Chibnall I sincerely hope he erases her from Doctor Who.

This is an insult to every actor who's played the Doctor.
Could you imagine if Sarah Dollard was showrunner?

Do I have to?

:(

Doctor no more.

Really sick of people complaining about a white male Doctor. Fuck off.

>tfw series 10 will be the last good series

NewWho series rankings

8>9>1>4>5>2>3>7>6