ITT: Movies that were severely misunderstood and are actually great

ITT: Movies that were severely misunderstood and are actually great.

Pic related is the best piece of social commentary of the decade

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUNx5_UBbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Agree, Whats funny is the people who its is parodying are the ones who the marketing was geared to

what was the social commentary?

This desu

It was an examination and indictment of millennial and our fucking awful culture

elaborate

/r/iamverysmart

I liked this movie, but my friends thought it was shit and laughed at me. Then I told them I didn't like it that much, but I really do. I'm such a fag.

I don't think saying you understood a movie is claiming to be super smart or anything. Spring Breakers isn't hard to get, but because of the misguided marketing campaign a lot of people thought it was something other than what it was

I think Fight Club falls in this category. Most of people I know that claim it's their favorite film only watched clips of the fight scenes on youtube. One of them didn't even know Tyler and Narrator are the same person.

Even beyond that, the movie is actually really critical of Tyler's personality his ideals. The people that quote Tyler and idolise him are the sort of people the movie is calling idiots

>I liked this movie, but my friends thought it was shit and laughed at me. Then I told them I didn't like it that much, but I really do. I'm such a fag.
You disgust me user.

This wasn't a tragic story about someone going into the world and finding themselves. It was a story about a guy who was searching for something unattainable and passing up a myriad of great opportunities and eventually dying in a very preventable way. Chris was an idiot. Not someone to be admired. And the movie tells you this but people don't seem to pay attention to that part of it

That's my point. It is a favorite movie in my gym and they even have a poster of Tyler,yet no one of them knows who is Ed Norton and that he is the main character. I am serious when I say they only watched the fight scenes.

>It is a favorite movie in my gym
why do you need to go to the gym user?

I don't need to go to the gym,I go there because I like it there,there are people to talk to,it's always open and I got buff.

The people living there apparently agree with you.

Spring Breakers isn't hard to get. It's just not worth getting. It seems profound to people in their teens and no one else.

I've never even heard of this movie prior to seeing Sup Forums praise the hell out of it. I'm going to assume it's some artsy fartsy shit but probably not bad.

Not great but definitely misunderstood. At least the Martha part which was the thing they were bashing it for. There were like 50 more stupid things in the movie more stupid than that.

shut up kid

>Not great

this is actually kino, I wish racing was like that in real life

I'm not seeing any disagreement with my assumption....

Not great doesn't mean bad. Its not the kino that people 'don't get' but its not any worse than the majority of the boring MCU movies. Just your average capeshit, with a grimdark setting instead of the unfunny Disney quips.

Korine only makes masterpieces

spring breakers is hard to get because the entire film, everything in it, is just a metaphor for the internal struggle of the average person between nihilism and meaning.
Once you look at through this lens it changes everything. The "social commentary" thing isn't it's foundation. It's a metaphysical thing played out in the physical.

I saw this with my family, and my father loved it with a sense of nostalgia that took him back to his youth when he was hitchhiking and shit. But all I saw was a guy who refused to fuck kstew and died all alone like a dumbass. It's not a bad movie though.

it isn't just a parody though. It simultaneously appreciates while critiques the pursuit of pleasure.

I bet Korine laughed his ass off constantly at the thought of plebs going to see this in the cinema and being utterly baffled.

there isn't any point trying to discuss a movie with a dumb kid who hasn't see it, especially one on an excursion from reddit.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUNx5_UBbI

Trash Humpers was tedious even at its length

The Bling Ring is 100 times better

You first this movie is for brainlet millenials like

it wasnt trying to be ironic though

That looks horrible

the first 10-15 minutes of this film are absolutely nauseating, pure garbage. the rest of the movie is great but i can understand how people start watching it, gets a bad taste in their mouth and don't recover from it.
wish i saw it in the cinema 2bh.

I bet he wanked his dick like he did while filming all of his crappy pretentious perverted films

you might be completely valid in calling him perverted but I don't really understand how you can call him pretentious.

Or you can't deny that it is artsy fartsy.

I'm sure it is. Let me guess, it's up there with ballet shoes and colonia right?

I didn't "get" Spring Breakers. It was too boring and not gratuitous enough to be a simple dude spring break lmao flick aimed at teens. But as a satire of millenial "culture" it's simply not kino enough, there isn't anything smart about it. Its the movie version of a normie coming to r9k and thinking he is so much better than them, yet he fails to get any (You)'s with his superior intellect and life experiences.

It's pretty artsy but it's worth a look. Whether you like it or not, it's an interesting film

Gummo is my single least favourite film of all time

whats a movie you find profound user?

that reminds me of someone in this very thread and it's not you

What social commentary?
I just watched it to watch scantily clad Disney waifus!

It wasn't misunderstood. It was just bad.

His work is as misunderstood as Human Centipede and A Serbian Film.

>actually great

No I still stand by the fact that this movie really isn't that great. It's not awful, but too many say it's near masterpiece.

>repeating the same shitty lines over and over again 100 million times
BRILLIANT

wait but if you have shit dialogue, and you have the track repeated over and over again, and a gunshot noise everytime you jump cut, your movie is awesome

Oh and hot girls lol!