A Fistful of Dollars

>A Fistful of Dollars
>For A Few Dollars More
>The Good, The Bad and The Ugly,
>Once Upon A Time In The West
>A Fistful of Dynamite
>Once Upon A Time In America

Name a director with a better filmography if you can.

Also, anyone else kind of sad that he was quite young when he died? He would've been 87 years old if he was still alive. I wonder what he could do with the technology that we have today in movies.

Also, Leone general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colossus_of_Rhodes_(film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the fuck you say about my mule?

See my mule just doesn't get it

>Forest Gump
>Seven
>Saving Private Ryan
>Fight Club
>Gladiator

Christopher Nolan had the best filmography.

he was about to make a movie about the siege of Leningrad when he died. Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

Excluding Dune of course

>Also, anyone else kind of sad that he was quite young when he died?
No, he went at just the right time to not go through nu-hollywood

>He died at the age of 60 from a heart attack, which was most likely resulted from his eating habits. He had an infamous love for food and gained weight throughout his life until he was borderline obese in the 1980s.

America killed him.

All those movies are maybe above average.

If you think these films are maybe above average, then what do you consider as good movies?

I honestly don't know if I would enjoy his movies without Morricone

I genuinely like Lynch's dune. Its not flawless by any means but I can blame a lot of the problems on the studio and Dino.

What is it with Italians and food

>BLONDIE YOU SON OF A....AYEIYAIEYIEYAI!
He does an amazing score, and it informs so much of the movie, but its still solid filmmaking on its own.

Coen bros are pretty good
>No country for old men
>Fargo
>Big lebowski
>Barton fink
>Inside llewyn davis
>A serious man
>Burn after reading

"Live to eat, don't eat to live" is the italian motto.

>Coen bros are pretty good
Hell even their shitty movies are breddy gud.

This is actually a very interesting thought. When people think of the greatest moments in Leone's films, they're most likely thinking of scenes where Morricone's scores are used very effectively (such as the stand off between Harmonica and Frank).

However, Leone is also a master at character introduction, perhaps one of the greatest in film history. And some of his shots contain such great aesthetics and symbolism, which I respect him a lot for.

But you made a good point, his films would be weaker without Morricone.

That's the shit version though. In italian it's "hijo de una gran putaaa-coyote scream".

>if you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco is the best.

>when you realize Sergio Leone was just one year older than Clint Eastwood

I mean you're not wrong, then again using Morricone effectively is part of the director's job too, just like getting the best out of an actor.

>tfw Coem's shit movies, like True Grit and Ladykillers, are as good as the best films f the mediocre directors of this world

I thought True Grit was quite good.

It's not bad, but it was their attempt to go more audience friendly. You can see the quality drop when compared to, say, Brother where art thou

A Fistful of Dollars wasn't his first movie. He directed some mediocre peplums, that probably nobody outside Italy has seen.

Robert Bresson never made a bad movie.

>Once upon a time in the West

Okay, that one was pretty damn good.

Is a fistful of dynamite good? Ive never heard of it before.

Yes. I'd say it's better than Fistful.

Luis Buñuel?

Is it worth it to watch it again in Italian? I noticed when I did that with Django it felt like a much better movie.

drive

Once Upon A Time In the West is fucking cinema magic. I can't even put my finger on what makes it feel like it has this enormous weight. Its just a fucking epic, in the true sense of the word, not in the normie sense.

>>A Fistful of Dollars
>>For A Few Dollars More
>>>Once Upon A Time In The West
shit tier desu

>For A Few Dollars More
>shit tier

You take that back you sonuvabitch.

>le hat shooting dick measuring contest

>A Fistful of Dynamite
It's shit.

One of the most boring pieces of shit ever, loaded to the brim with some turbo-maoist bullshit probably made to capitalise on the 1968 protesters demographic.

Is Sergio /ourguy/?

To be honest it was very mediocre. Technically it's great, so it's not director's problem but they fucked up the scenes from the "future". You can cut it short, maybe add a scene showing how Cheyney or whatever was his name kills Mattie's father and it would be better just because of it. The only thing they've achieved was a visibly failed attempt at making the light-hearted story(unavoidable - the main plotline is ridiculous as Wayne said back in the times - reminded him of Mark Twain) dramatic and sad, because as we all know dramatic and sad movies are deep.

He directed literally one movie before that and it was only one of his films that OP didn't mention.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colossus_of_Rhodes_(film)

desu once upon a time in the west is his only masterpiece

I read that Leone didn't speak any english and Clint didn't speak any italian.

Are you implying it was true love?

Guys, Kubrik?

>he doesnt like the duality between the Rojo(Dems) and the Braxters (Reps) fucked up by a middle man (Sup Forums) only interested in money (memes)

Fellini
Bergman
Ozu
Kubrick

best way to describe a normie. thanks user

Hey guys

Raging Bull
Goodfellas
Taxi Driver
The Departed
Wolf of Wall Street
After Hours
Mean Streets
The King of Comedy
[...]

And more to come

So im planning on watching the Dollars thrilogy. In which order should I watch them?

Here's an order: kill yourself

If you need guns to make a film interesting then you aren't so great

He's just a fedora version of Tarantino

>the film with the musak remake of Comfortably Numb
>Wolf of Wall Street
>part of a perfect filmography

Go to sleep, Marty

You should watch Sergio Leone films chronologically:

3-1-4-2-5-6

You should rewatch TGTBaTU

It's fucking terrible, the acting, the dialogue, the shots, all shit

You are the fedora-tipper here for liking dad core films

The acting is fine. All actors do their character justice, Clint is the mysterious stranger, Van Cleef is a snake-like character, Eli plays a great unpredictable greedy man. And the chemistry between Clint and Eli is fucking top notch.

>dialogue
What's wrong with this? I rewatched it a month or so ago and I noticed that there wasn't any unnecessary exposition dialogue or cringe inducing lines.

>shots
Come on now. The final standoff is a piece of damn good editing and cinematography. Leone uses wide lenses to capture the scale of the west, and shows how big the journey is that the characters have to make. There's also some good symbolism in some shots.
What would you have done to improve on the shots? What is it you don't like about them?

James Cameron's filmography is the most unbelievable imo.

With two exceptions every movie he made made more money than the previous.

Too bad that doesn't make them good.

He was gonna make a war film with DeNiro about the siege of Leningrad
Film made it to preproduction and everything until he had a heart attack

>it was him finally returning to film after an extended break when the producers mutilated once upon a time in america without telling him

He was too good for this world

those are just cliche western shots in the last scene

also, in the rest of the movie he literally always does the same shot

the fact that most actors are actually dubbed is a huge turndown too

It's true re watching these kind of films in Italian is great because when it's dubbed into English parts of the original script are lost in translation so for you to experience the full film you gotta watch the original Italian dub where the script remains intact this is true for django, the big gundown, day of anger, for a few dollars more, the great silence

You watch your mouth fucker that movie was great

It's different
A good film sure, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as the rest of his films

you're right but nonetheless his only bad movie is Piranha 2 and it barely counts as a Cameron film. Avatar is pretty mediocre too so I'll give you that one.

A Fistful of Dynamite is perhaps his masterpiece, but it's the least understood. Because it's his most "European" film. It's him deconstructing the Zapata western and Zeitgeist of 60's Italy. It's not Maoist in the slightest; but films like El Chuncho were communist propaganda (and damn fun cinema), which Leone criticized. He saw all ideologies are different sides of a same coin, hence the scene where Juan tell John the revolution is bullshit and the throws his Bakunin book in the mud in disgust. It's about the endless tragedies of broken families and friendships. One character loses his best friend, the other loses his family. It's all absurd and meaningless.

And cinematically, it's so much more vibrant and complex than his previous films. Only in OUATIAmerica does he display the same level of maturity.

It literally doesn't matter
But each one chroologically is longer than the previous one so...

>those are just cliche western shots in the last scene
Maybe, but they are kino cliche western shots

He co-directed another peplum in 1959.

Dynamite seemed like an experiment almost to me. It also felt a bit like it wasn't sure on it was entirely supposed to be, its identity seemed muddled.

Once upon a time in America is the sort of film I struggle to believe could even be made, by anyone. It's pretty much flawless

>those are just cliche western shots in the last scene
Name a few westerns that did it before GBU and used it to this potential.

>he literally always does the same shot
No he doesn't. Plenty of wides, mediums and closes are there, all used in an effective manner.

jesus his lower half is just a mass of pale white meat

>tfw no original cut of once upon a time in america

>Fellini
His last movies are terrible.
>Bergman
Nobody has seen all the shit he directed before 7th Seal, chances are it's not great.

The Driver is based off the man with no name

Dynamite was a complicated production, he wasn't originally supposed to direct it. However I think it's full of treasures, the more I see it, the more my love for it grows. Also, there are a lot of visual ideas, or experiments like you said, which surface again in America. A lot of thematic similarities as well. He very much had OUATIA in mind when he mind, and it also helped him make it better.

America, he worked on the project for almost twenty years. This level of passion and obsession is something we cannot see anymore. The only exception is Fury Road.

This desu. I wonder if the ending would actually make some sense in the original cut instead of shitting on the whole movie.

Ask yourself, in the current film industry and production system, would a script like this get written today, much less produced?

Yes?

>The only exception is Fury Road.
that better be a joke...

Probably not. The script is too slow for the mainstream audience, if that's what the studio is targeting.

Let me enlighten you

From Assault on Precinct 13 to They Live he was a God. However, he went spiraling downhill after They Live. In the Mouth of Madness is good though.

Carpenter made many great films and even more shitty films. I'm glad he still does music tho, Lost Themes albums are magnificent.

I'll take that back actually. He made plenty of great films but his quality went down fast. There aren't that many bad films that he directed.

If you're talking about Kubrick yeah

>even more shitty films.
Nah, his filmography is more good than bad.

see I checked his filmography and there weren't that many bad movies.

For a Few Dollars More is his only really good movie. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly succeeds only because of Eastwood playing an iconic character.

Once Upon a Time in the West is one of the most boring movies I've seen. There's 1.5 hours of material at most, stretched out to nearly 3.

Peter Jackson

LotR trilogy
The Hobbit trilogy

>The Good, The Bad and The Ugly succeeds only because of Eastwood playing an iconic character.
and why this is bad?

>A Fistful of Dynamite

Wow that's a lame name for Giù la testa

>Once Upon a Time in the West is one of the most boring movies I've seen.
PLEB
L
E
B

>The Departed
Was shit compared to the source material

>The Castle of Cagliostro
>Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
>Castle in the Sky
>My Neighbor Totoro
>Kiki's Delivery Service
>Porco Rosso
>Princess Mononoke
>Spirited Away
>Ponyo
>The Wind Rises

Miyazaki is objectively best. He's only made one bad film (Howl's Moving Castle).

>Movie about easily the most shilled bullshit propaganda of the entire war
Glad he died girst

It's not bad, but it means it's a good film despite Leone's direction, not because of it.