Video Game: Next Film Craze (2020 and beyond)

Is anyone fully expecting video game films to take over comic book films as the number one form of money-making enterprises and blockbusters in the 2020s?

I want to see a realistic, grounded Mortal Kombat film that has a deep story about a rebellious Shaolin monk who overcomes his rebellious and selfish nature and avenges the death of the Great Kung Lao by the monster simply named "Goro". I want to see Sub-Zero kill Hanzo's family and burn his house down in Japan, leaving him scarred and a broken man who ends up entering the tournament as a ninja with a yellow gi mocking Sub-Zero's clan with an upside down insignia of his clan. Who develops a mechanism which shoots a small spear from his right, like a bullet, it latches on then hooks in allowing Hanzo who is called The Scorpion by people to get his revenge.

I want an awesome film about an infiltration spy who sneaks into a base and discovers a walking bi-pedal tank that can run up to 200m/h and fire nuclear missiles and he has to take it on using his wits. I want that man to be Solid Snake, with a Ghost in the Shell vibe to it. But I want the story to revolve around him infiltrating Outer Heaven and going head to head with the Big Boss played by a legendary actor. A good soldier who through his multiple experiences in warfare, sees that war is evil but that's all he knows and he makes a haven for all the broken soldiers nand mercenaries of the world who society have rejecting. I want Snake, a good guy to be deceived by an evil Government. Also touch on cloning and genetics. Metal Gear could be the TDK of the video game film industry.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HhLrgAQWYUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I want to see a realistic, grounded Mortal Kombat film

THEN IT'S NOT FUCKING MORTAL KOMBAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER, AND IT'S CALLED ENTER THE DRAGON

>muh toys
>muh realism

kys manchild

Based

christian bale would be an appalling snake

We're still in the midst of making movies about the cartoons you watched in the 90s.

kys gramps

If Warcraft would've done the Arthas Menethil shit, it would already be well underway. Instead, they decided to go with a butchered story from a game that was prior to WoW that most of the players don't give two fucks about.

both me

>Is anyone fully expecting video game films to take over comic book films as the number one form of money-making enterprises and blockbusters in the 2020s?

If they finally make a good video game movie, it will be the next big thing

I think you meant appealing

You have Sasori (Scorpion)
Johnny Cage as a Conor McGregor-type MMA fighter training in kickboxer who ends up starring in films like The Fastest Fury (a film about cars and fighting)
Sonya, a US Special Forces intel chick who is loking for the leader of a crime syndicate by a half Japanese/half American crime lord by the name of "Kano"
A four arm ancient race beast from the ancient world, who is the Bane to Liu Kang.
Liu Kang shaving his head for the final battle.
Not deciding ot kill anyone. Seeing Shang Tsung corrupting the tournament by what was a tournament of skill and finesse became a tournament of bloodshed and death. Come at me, bro.

it's literally impossible to make a good video game movie. this has been proven time and time again

Fuck all that...

This would be perfect as a movie instead of a shitty Youtube show.

youtube.com/watch?v=HhLrgAQWYUc

I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I'm not looking forward to when it does

The new Deus Ex film was pretty good though

That is so B-grade. I am talking about AAA-titling Mortal Kombat. Call it "The Great Shaolin Tournament", do an insame amount of research about that culture and how Liu Kang is pretty much the Neo who restores peace to the Shaolin of old and his culture.

Yes, there still would be fatalities. Namely, when Scorpion shoots his harpoon into Sub-Zero's throat, and uses the steel cord to choke him to death while pulling the harpoon up through his head. Scorpion's not a demon, he's just a man who survived severe burn injuries and losing his family.

>video game film craze
I don't really see this happening ever. If you've already made a game that feels as cinematic as a movie, why even bother making a movie? Just play the game

This is Zod's snapped neck level writing

Well, story is king.

The opening of the film would have the Great Kung Lao taking on...

Royalty. A regal entrance, with drums, beats, getting stronger like a Maori haka, then steps into the arena... Prince Goro. A race from the ancient world.

Lao, the Champion is confused. This thing has four arms and he calls out a young Shang Tsung who is seated amongst the governing body as a Shaolin monk. However, Shang Tsung has turned and is into sorcery and has his followers kill the three heads of the governing body of the tournament.Sitting in the Head Shaolin's seat and speaking in Mandarin that, "His tournament will be greater than anything - anyone has ever seen... A tournament of life... And death"

Lao points out that he has lost his mind and has become an absolute.

Lao fights against Goro, doing well. Until Goro does Goro and after a hard punches to the kidney, picks Lao up and pummels him while holding him. Throws him down then steps on his head, crushing it.

Tsung stands up and claps, and declares Prince Goro the champion of the Great Shaolin Tournament... Of the Mortals Combat.

Cut to 500 years later, Liue Kang. Bam. Wham. Thank you, mam.

Yeah and that Akira movie is gonna be out any day now
I'm entirely over capeshit but beyond Metal Gear, I'd be hard pressed to think of many games that feature stories that can be well adapted into movie

>calling people manchildren on a Mongolian basket-weaving appreciation forum

Vidyamovies will never succeed because

>their plots are shit because they have to accomodate for the interactive bullshit so most stories boil down to 'save the world, when you feel like it'.
>their characters are shit because MC always has to be a blank/easily 'relatable'
>99% of people who play videogames don't even give a fuck about the story as long as shooty/swordy stuff grabs their ADD

Not gonna read your wall of text but video game adaptations are indeed most likely the next step for Hollywood.

Actually they will because those born in the 1980s and 1990s will be THE Directors. These Directors and filmmakers all grew up playing Nintendo, Sega and Playstation. One generation goes away, another one comes. The only thing is that - no one seems to respect the source material except Fassbender when he produced Creed obviously a huge fan but it was a boring film.

You have to find the video games worthin doing. Mortal Kombat would be the Logan, with a hard R rating. Metal Gear would be for mature audiences.

A Mario and Donkey Kong film by Pixar would make an insane amount of money. There is cash to be made here but only if the stories are good and the characters are real and believable.

>Next Film Craze

You mean the garbage they've been putting out since the 80s?

>>>
>Anonymous 03/21/17(Tue)03:30:18 No.80673196 ▶
> Vidyamovies will never succeed because
> >their plots are shit because they have to accomodate for the interactive bullshit so most stories boil down to 'save the world, when you feel like it'.
> >their characters are shit because MC always has to be a blank/easily 'relatable'
> >99% of people who play videogames don't even give a fuck about the story as long as shooty/swordy stuff grabs their ADD
>>>
>Anonymous 03/21/17(Tue)03:31:08 No.80673228 ▶
> (OP)
> Not gonna read your wall of text but video game adaptations are indeed most likely the next step for Hollywood.
>>>
>Anonymous 03/21/17(Tue)03:35:25 No.80673356 ▶
>
> Actually they will because those born in the 1980s and 1990s will be THE Directors. These Directors and filmmakers all grew up playing Nintendo, Sega and Playstation. One generation goes away, another one comes. The only thing is that - no one seems to respect the source material except Fassbender when he produced Creed obviously a huge fan but it was a boring film.
> You have to find the video games worthin doing. Mortal Kombat would be the Logan, with a hard R rating. Metal Gear would be for mature audiences.
> A Mario and Donkey Kong film by Pixar would make an insane amount of money. There is cash to be made here but only if the stories are good and the characters are real and believable.
>>>
>Anonymous 03/21/17(Tue)03:36:08 No.80673372 ▶

I see it like this. Memba? Memba all those terrible superhero films? Then the craze begun after X-Men and Spiderman.

I'm still holding out for a Warhammer movie

I would love to see a Nicolas Winding Refn film of Grand Theft Auto, either him or the Coen Brothers. Set it in 1980's "The Vice City" Miami about three characters, the carjacker-driver, the drug dealer and the hitman of the crew. An awesome, semi-serious parody film about American crime films.

Warhammer 40k you mean? They'll make one eventually. Everything will be adapted into a movie at some point

i'm still dreaming about a Alan Wake series on HBO starring Jake and directed by Fincher

>Manchild calling someone a manchild.

Sorry son but when you degrade one type of escapism then all escapism must be put in the same category, no shades of grey only black and white.

Grow the fuck up kiddo and stop pissing your self over what other people like. Its very childish and petty.

If you want realistic, dark political video game adaptations you turn to HITMAN and SPLINTER CELL you fucking mongoloid.

Not god damn MGS and MK what the actual fuck. OP's on fucking meth.

Look at the first Hitman films and compare it to the cinematic sequences of the last game. Why bother with film theatres when the game themselves can do realistic well directed well acted scenes on their own?

The games themselves are becoming good cinema faster than cinema can portray them on screen.

Comic books and anime have been around for decades before vidya and hollywood can't even consistently do anime right even though they are 99.99pct identical as a medium. Marvel figured out something but DC still hasn't.

Everyone on earth knows, cares about or likes superman save for Daesh and the films still almost failed. Who the fuck cares about yet another supersoldier character with tactical skills bla bla bla.

Generic as fuck.

A film about a halfling cook, a rat hunter with a small but vicious dog, an old hag camp follower and a tax collector with a rusty sword trying to survive a chaos raid would be sick.

>Warhammer 40k you mean? They'll make one eventually. Everything will be adapted into a movie at some point
too expensive with too little of a fan base, won't ever happen

I love the tone of that short film and overall style but MK shouldn't be realistic with psychos in place of monsters.

MK is all about the real world (special forces, martial artists) merging with fantasy (gods, sorcerers, monsters).