Honest question

Honest question...
Why Switzerland maintain his original name in English, meanwhile Germany, Austria and other states have different names in English an Latin derivate languages?
(Switzerland is Suíça in Portuguese, but at less sound very close to the Swiss Confederation thing)

different germanic tribes roamed in europe and therfor germans got different names by the people they met.
western europeans call us after the tribe of "Allemannen" , slavs use some old word for "silent" since they couldn´t communicate with germans very well, caeser called the lands east of the rhine "Germania Magna" , finns call us "saska" after the saxons, we call ourselfs deutsch after "teutsch" the language spoken by the teutons, etc. etc.
swiss people sat on their mountains- or at least weren't to engaged with the outside world + they speak 4 languages till today so they probably weren't seen as a own tribe/nation by others.

Okay, thanks.

Interestingly enough, in Irish we are still called after the old Celtic tribe living here

Lol, i did not realize that Germans call Switzerland as Schweiz.
And how it's called.

Eilvéis from Helvetii

It didn't. Switzerland's name is Schweiz in German.

I record reading that Hannibal was ambushed by Gauls (Celtic people) while crossing the mountains, this was in 218BC. When did Germans spread they language there?

Never mind. I am stupid.

bonus: brazil = brasilien

>When did Germans spread they language there?
After the Roman Empire retreated and the Migration Period began

>saska
more like paska XD

no but it's saksa and you are german aka saksalainen

To be honest, our demonym is wrong.
The correct should "brasiliano" since the word "brasileiro" was the name given to paubrasilia (Caesalpinia echinata) thieves or traders, depending of the source.

Sometimes in Portuguese the Swiss society and/or its nationals are called helvética/ helvético
So that's why.

We also say Confederation Helvetique in French sometime, even if it's not the official name

>CH not their official name

Helvetic republic only exist from 1798 to 1803...

It's just their ISO symbol, it's not their name.
The real official name in french is 'Confédération suisse'

>saksalainen

IIRC Germans/Dutch were both originally "Dutch" but as the Dutch separated more we called Germany by it's old Latin name. Austria I just assumed was a shitty Anglicization of Osterreich.

Official latin name but nobody uses it as a primary name, just on coins and shit

And it still is sometimes referred to this day . Language is a funny thing