youtube.com/watch?v=gcl40sIGN1s
imdb.com/title/tt0224853/?ref_=filmo_li_tt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't open this

4>2>>>>3>5
You can't debate this

he looks like a sith lord in this picture. Darth Brodie

>Oz takes a sharp decline in quality when his character dies

Why are Wire threads so shallow when compared to Sopranos and Mad Men threads?

Bodie was my favorite character. He was a true soldier, he had loyalty, he understood the game and he played it the way it was meant to be played. His unceremonious and unjust death cemented the notion that the game was rigged and that he had wasted his life being a soldier in a war that he stood to profit nothing from

Also it was great watching him get out of sure jailtime like 3 different times

Punished Bodie

>That scene where Bodie and Poot run into Carv and Herc at the theater with their dates.
Absolutely based scene

>so, y'all go to the movies?
I loved Poot. He had one of the most underrated quotes in the series. Herc and Carver were trying to intimidate him by telling him how rough the Westside had gotten and he said "I hear that shit all the time- 'these kids out here, they a new breed' but it's always the same shit" or something to that effect

Also
>world going one way, people another

Bump

It fucking did not, fucking pleb. Season 5, even though newspaper shit was mediocre, had a good amount of powerful scenes and was overall quite good, not to mention that it was one of the best wrap ups ever.

swap 4 and 2 and you got it

>It's a "Omar gets caught lacking and smoked by a crack baby" episode

I'm going through it again and 5 is a bit better than I remember. The writing isn't really worse than the previous seasons, despite the outlandish plot, and the Sun thing is a conceit David Simon has probably earned by that point.

The newspaper actually makes a lot of sense given how strongly it motivated all the political underpinnings that were presented as a sort of end game for the show.

I think the point of season five was to show just how powerless the individual (mcnulty, freeman) were against the institutions they were apart of. Even when they try the craziest most insane shit to try to change it, it chews them up and spits them out. Yes, the fake serial killer was not realistic, but the Wire was never meant to be hyper realism. It was Simon's way of showing even if the individuals did the craziest most insane shit that the institution's power would always win. Sam thing with Bunny Colvin and Hamsterdam in season 4.

I love the wire, and threads about it used to be great. But at this point its themes have been done ad nauseum across all kinds of media, not to mention a lot of issues in the show are in the actual news everyday now. I can't be bothered to come into these threads and discuss poor black people anymore.

You start out with season 1, and you get the basics, the drug trade and the cops. That's your foundation. Then you see how the working class has been ground down and Frank's union is failing and people can't find honest blue collar work so they turn to the drug trade. You get season 3 and you start to see the corruption in the political class. Season 4 you see how the education institutions fails. Season 5 it's the newspaper, and all the time, you see the individuals try crazier and crazier things and each time they're beaten back again and again.
The point isn't to be a hyper realistic view of he way they work, but I think more a thought experiment of IF an individual did these things, how the institutions would react.

The wire is a lot more than about poor black people. The wire shows how a city is interconnected and even the wealthiest upper class have connections and interested involved in the under class.

i hated benard the moment he stated acting like a gump

ROCKEFELLER GET THAT ROCKEFELLER

DUBYA EM DEE!

You're kind of correct

The Wire has gotten an inordinate amount of media and cultural support over the years. I honestly think it has surpassed The Sopranos in terms of total viewership after the two respective shows ended. If you listen to millenials they almos tuniversally treat it like it's the greatest thing ever (and for good reason I think). I think The Sopranos and Deadwood are superior personally but The Wire is definitely a top 5, probably top 3 show ever created

in honor of these trips I just posted and the fact that I am quite literally just finishing up season 3 (for my 4th rewatch I think) I think I'll post the very scene that I am currently watching, which is a phenomenal closing scene for any of the seasons

youtube.com/watch?v=gcl40sIGN1s

Rome > Deadwood

It's OK to be wrong

Did you know that Rome was created only because John Milius wanted to write for Deadwood but David Milch told him he was too good to be a junior writer on his show and Milius subsequently chose to create his own show?

Every conversation is brought down by "lol niggers"

>The Wire has gotten an inordinate amount of media and cultural support over the years
What.

>Mad men threads

Stop this fucking meme. Only Sup Forums is so fucking pleb as to believe man men is anything more than mediocre schlock that should have ended 3 seasons before it did

>Did you know that Rome was created only because John Milius wanted to write for Deadwood but David Milch told him he was too good to be a junior writer on his show and Milius subsequently chose to create his own show?
Do you have source for that? because IIRC Rome was developed a bit before Deadwood, Milch's original show was set in ancient Rome, but HBO already had Rome show he reworked his project into the old west

In any case, it's so cool that for a while there, HBO had both Milius and Milch delivering masterpieces at the same time. Now it's Nolan and Lindelof...

Milius suffered a major financial reversal in the late 1990s and early 2000s when his accountant embezzled funds from him - an estimated $3 million in all.[62]

He tried to get a job as a staff writer on the TV show Deadwood; showrunner David Milch was reluctant as he did not consider Milius a staff writer. Milius pleaded that he needed the money in order to pay for his son's tuition at law school. Milch offered to pay the fees.

Milius' career recovered when helped create the HBO/BBC television series Rome.[63] This meant he was able to repay the money to Milch.

It's nice learning that two of my favorite writers have a kino friendship

And it was that thing of everyone being happy to go along with a lie because it suited them, and because they'd become invested in maintaining that lie, even when they ask for out that it was a lie. It was an extreme parallel to the war on drugs

PANDEMIC

PAAAAANDEMIC

3 was shittiest season desu

>MUH HAMSTERDAM
>MUH MAYOR RACE
>MUH POLITICS

EY YO 5-0
5-0

Bodie practically committed suicide. I thought it was a weird scene though. Like it would have been more ironic if he was just hanging out with mcnulty because they had seen a bunch of shit together, but he actually was ratting on his higher ups.

The Sopranos has definitely fallen off a bit culturally. It was so huge at the time that I think the fame backfired and people sort of ignore it, like they feel they know what it is and then don't watch it for real. Same with 90s Simpsons.

BOTTLE ROCKETS

BOTTLE ROCKETS

GOT THAT ROCKAFELLA

GOT THAT ROCKA FELLA

Only problems with 3 are how drawn out the Carcetti buildup is (it's literally a whole season to set up next seasons election), and Cutty is a boring character who goes nowhere. He feels like something out of a basic urban problem drama, the noble ex-con who struggles to get on his feet and better the community. It's very 2-dimensional for this show

YELLOW TOPS

and how does free boxing gym even got him to his feet? he got 10k from avon but that went to equipment. He still needs a real job, he cant afford keeping free boxing gym

Don't mind me just being the worst character over here.

PLYMOUTH ROCK
PLYMOUTH ROCK

SPIDER BAGS

AY O SPIDER BAGS HERE

Got dem spider bags
2 gets you 3

Yeah I noticed that on my rewatch. There's no way these kids can afford to pay for lessons

I forgot to say, Cutty is played by one of the worst actors on the show too. His speech is so stilted and unnatural. All the amateurs in the cast can feel the same way but they're cast to type, so there's a certain authenticity to them. He's just big and flat all the time

>Looks like we'll have to go through the front door
>That's a change for you isn't it?

people like brother mouzone actually exist, fucking omar is a cartoon character

Omar is a more rounded character than Mouzone by far. He functions as a long game criticism of gang violence, the intent is to suck the audience into his "cool" adventures but steadily make them aware that his actions are just as damaging as anyone elses, and that all that little cred means nothing once he gets shot. So maybe it's a corny antihero thing for a while but it builds to something bigger.

Mouzone is a plot device. He pops up at the end of two seasons to move the plot forward then vanishes. That's it.

Omar is based on real people too.

yeah, one guy robbed one stash house once. and the fucking tv show character is some kind of superman

The corner is great if you like the nigger aspect of the wire

it has some of the same actors too

imdb.com/title/tt0224853/?ref_=filmo_li_tt

2>4>1>5>3
I aggree

Actually that whole season and season 5 were a mistake.

Debate me.

This.
Season 5 is solid as fuck
The wrap ups alone make it a golden season, surely one of the best season final ever
The real drop in quality in the wire is at season 3.
The other are on top

> Tfw ii've restrained myself for 5 years from watching the soprano so I know I have at least quality tv in reserve

>Adolescene is liking the wire
>Adulthood is realising people who constantly create their own problems in life are toxic and must be avoided if you are to have any chance of success in this game of life that is already stacked against you

3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 5

What is your opinion on her performance in season 2?

1 = 3 > 2 >>>>>>>>>>> dog shit >>>>>>>>>> 4 = 5

Who's with Me?

Whatever happened to the stripper wife?

Keno

Probably the best tits that have ever existed

it went to trash after season 1

season 1 was a real show then it just got terrible

>same plot
>hamsterdam
>can't arrest da crims again
>everyone dieing
>the greek
>ziggy

It would have been better if the Avon/Marlo showdown wasn't so anti climatic. Marlo skated through the entire show with no challenges.

season 2 of the wire is a massive pleb filter, good to see it did its job

Thats kinda how it is when you have power but dont care about anyone... What screws can they twist on you to make you do anything when you dont care about anyone? Theyre all expendable to him. Chris was a cuck for him, but all powerful men have cucks for them.